PDA

View Full Version : Save the planet: Smoke filterless Camels or Lucky Strikes!

tailfins
05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
I see a commercial in the making!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/15/ban-cigarette-filters-hazardous-tobacco-waste?CMP=twt_fd

Noir
05-15-2014, 11:55 AM
"An estimated 4.5 trillion of the annual 6 trillion cigarettes sold worldwide do not end up in a dustbin or ashtray, but are simply flicked away along a roadside or on a pavement"

Jeez.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2014, 12:23 PM
"An estimated 4.5 trillion of the annual 6 trillion cigarettes sold worldwide do not end up in a dustbin or ashtray, but are simply flicked away along a roadside or on a pavement"

Jeez.

The world is their ashtray. :(

fj1200
05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Save Social Security and Medicare: Encourage smoking and deny health benefits to smokers and former smokers.

Gaffer
05-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I have always smoked filterless cigarettes. I smoked Lucky Strikes until about 2002 when I started making my own. I use filterless tubes now. For $20 I make the equivalent of three cartons of cigs. No butts about it. If I throw my cig down it doesn't last long.

tailfins
05-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I have always smoked filterless cigarettes. I smoked Lucky Strikes until about 2002 when I started making my own. I use filterless tubes now. For $20 I make the equivalent of three cartons of cigs. No butts about it. If I throw my cig down it doesn't last long.

You're certainly doing your part to save the planet! Now you can drive a V-8, use incandescent bulbs and eat steak guilt free. I suggest everyone in this thread smoke a some Luckies on Earth Day. If you don't smoke, start smoking in Earth Day to save the planet.

Gaffer
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
You're certainly doing your part to save the planet! Now you can drive a V-8, use incandescent bulbs and eat steak guilt free. I suggest everyone in this thread smoke a some Luckies on Earth Day. If you don't smoke, start smoking in Earth Day to save the planet.

I drive a 92 S-10, use incandescent bulbs as much as possible, eat steak as often as possible and I am totally guilt free. Save the earth, punch a liberal.

fj1200
05-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I drive a 92 S-10...

Any idea what the carbon footprint is of a brand new car? It's pretty big and don't discount how much strip mining needs to occur to get at those rare-earth metals for car batteries. Just imagine the destruction made by going green... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

aboutime
05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I drive a 92 S-10, use incandescent bulbs as much as possible, eat steak as often as possible and I am totally guilt free. Save the earth, punch a liberal.

Forget Saving the Earth. Save your Lungs, hang around longer. Quit smoking. I did after 55 years and my FIRST Heart attack. Why push it? Have more fun pissing people off.

NightTrain
05-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Marlboro Reds here. :smoke:

Gotta have filters.

And I'm guilt-free, just tired of hearing the anti-smoking Nazis piss & moan about smokers.

I'll have to give it up soon, though... Doctor's orders. When I was waking up from anesthesia a couple weeks ago, my surgeon said they could tell that my lungs are beginning to sustain damage, so it's almost time for me.

aboutime
05-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Marlboro Reds here. :smoke:

Gotta have filters.

And I'm guilt-free, just tired of hearing the anti-smoking Nazis piss & moan about smokers.

I'll have to give it up soon, though... Doctor's orders. When I was waking up from anesthesia a couple weeks ago, my surgeon said they could tell that my lungs are beginning to sustain damage, so it's almost time for me.

NightTrain. I will be the first to admit...It's not easy to do. While I was still in the navy. I tried to quit almost every two weeks...the day before payday. So..I became a very Unsuccessful QUITER.

After my Heart attack. My docs told me. Smoke another, and you'll probably die.
Truth is. I now have SIX grand children I want to be around for a long time, and look forward to them laughing at me because I'm older than dirt. But LIVE dirt!:laugh:

tailfins
05-15-2014, 05:34 PM
NightTrain. I will be the first to admit...It's not easy to do. While I was still in the navy. I tried to quit almost every two weeks...the day before payday. So..I became a very Unsuccessful QUITER.

Truth is. I now have SIX grand children I want to be around for a long time, and look forward to them laughing at me because I'm older than dirt. But LIVE dirt!:laugh:

I had an uncle that coundn't stop smoking, even with fully developed Emphysyma. He needed oxygen to breathe and STILL had a smoke with the oxygen tank right next to him. He was lucky he didn't burn his house down. He had no children, so that mitigated the impact of his death. He still lived to be 74.

Trigg
05-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Jeez.

In this state it's a littering fine.............I only wish they vigorously enforced it.

My father has been smoking since he was 17, neither one of his heart attacks has deterred him from smoking. He thinks smoking has no impact on his heart, despite the fact that my sister (a nurse) and hubby and I who both work in healthcare have told him repeatedly that he's stupid (although not quite that bluntly).

Smoking is a nasty habit, one I hope and pray none of my kids pick up.

NightTrain
05-15-2014, 06:24 PM
In this state it's a littering fine.............I only wish they vigorously enforced it.

If a cop catches you flicking your butt out of the window, he'll nail you here in AK. It's up to a $500 or $1,000 fine for littering, I can't remember which.

My father has been smoking since he was 17, neither one of his heart attacks has deterred him from smoking. He thinks smoking has no impact on his heart, despite the fact that my sister (a nurse) and hubby and I who both work in healthcare have told him repeatedly that he's stupid (although not quite that bluntly).

I actually had a M.D. tell me that smoking isn't bad for you when I went in for my D.O.T. physical years ago, about 1994 or so. He guessed correctly at a pack a day by looking at my throat during the "Say ahh" phase, and then laid that info on me... which surprised me a great deal to hear him say that unsolicited - I'd already resigned myself to hearing the routine admonishment from a Doc about my sinful ways.

But I don't think anyone can seriously believe that it doesn't harm your health, I remember my parents talking about how bad it is for the body back in the early 70's before all the studies were done and anti-smoking campaigns were launched.

NightTrain
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
I had an uncle that coundn't stop smoking, even with fully developed Emphysyma. He needed oxygen to breathe and STILL had a smoke with the oxygen tank right next to him. He was lucky he didn't burn his house down. He had no children, so that mitigated the impact of his death. He still lived to be 74.

My Grandma was the same way. She was hooked up to an oxygen machine and still smoked with those clear tubes that go into the nostrils. Pretty dangerous but she never blew up the house somehow.

Yep. I'm not looking forward to quitting, because I do enjoy smoking and I know it's going to be a major bitch to kick the habit.

My Doc gave me a prescription for pills that make the cigarettes taste awful, so those will probably help during the battle.

The fact that smokes are $10 per pack is another motivator, too... it's hellishly expensive, especially with both my girlfriend and I smoking.

aboutime
05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
My Grandma was the same way. She was hooked up to an oxygen machine and still smoked with those clear tubes that go into the nostrils. Pretty dangerous but she never blew up the house somehow.

Yep. I'm not looking forward to quitting, because I do enjoy smoking and I know it's going to be a major bitch to kick the habit.

My Doc gave me a prescription for pills that make the cigarettes taste awful, so those will probably help during the battle.

The fact that smokes are $10 per pack is another motivator, too... it's hellishly expensive, especially with both my girlfriend and I smoking.

Didn't realize how expensive they have become. But, after seeing that $10 per pack. I'd be unable to keep up anyway.
I did learn how disgusting I SMELLED all those years I smoked. But never realized how bad it was. In fact. I found it pretty funny to finally understand how I WASN'T FOOLING anybody when I was a teenager, smoking Marlboro's at 35 cents a pack? Anyone remember those days?
Anyway. I started out with Phillip Morris, then Pell Malls before I started Filtered KOOL's that sucked. Ended up with the cheaper brands before my last puff.
Breathing clean air, and food that tastes much better helps a lot.
But I would be lying if I said I didn't still have the urge for just ONE MORE.
I know it's really tough. But you have to keep reminding yourself "Do you wanna be around a few more years...or not?"

tailfins
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Didn't realize how expensive they have become. But, after seeing that $10 per pack. I'd be unable to keep up anyway.
I did learn how disgusting I SMELLED all those years I smoked. But never realized how bad it was. In fact. I found it pretty funny to finally understand how I WASN'T FOOLING anybody when I was a teenager, smoking Marlboro's at 35 cents a pack? Anyone remember those days?
Anyway. I started out with Phillip Morris, then Pell Malls before I started Filtered KOOL's that sucked. Ended up with the cheaper brands before my last puff.
Breathing clean air, and food that tastes much better helps a lot.
But I would be lying if I said I didn't still have the urge for just ONE MORE.
I know it's really tough. But you have to keep reminding yourself "Do you wanna be around a few more years...or not?"

I remember when I was eight years old, my dad gave me two quarters to bike to the truck stop and buy him a pack of Bel-Airs. I got to keep the 15 cents change to buy a bottle of Mountain Dew. I always remember the refreshing sky-clean look of the pack. I never took up smoking because I took a dare from a friend of my big sister when I was six. I smoked three cigarettes and it made me so sick that I never wanted to touch them again.

http://www.cigarettespedia.com/images/a/a2/Belair_design_1_light_menthol_ks_20_s_usa.jpg

Gunny
05-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Smoking is a nasty habit, one I hope and pray none of my kids pick up.

It IS a nasty habit. Kids now don't have much excuse for picking it up except for the same reason probably most of us did: peer pressure.

When I was a kid smoking and drinking were highly glamorized by society. Manly men smoked and could hold their liquor. While I don't agree with the 180 degree "smoking is evil" and blamed for any-and-everything turnaround, it's a habit I'd as soon not have. It's expensive and controls too much of where I won't go and won't do.