PDA

View Full Version : 17-Year Old runing for WVA State Legislature

DragonStryk72
05-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Meet The High School Student Who Took Down A State Lawmaker
by Alan Greenblatt

Saira Blair has been busy this week. She's president of the Key Club at Hedgesville High School in West Virginia, and she's been participating in a variety of activities as her class prepares to graduate next week.
Oh — and on Tuesday, she won a primary election for the state House.

Blair, who is 17, unseated two-term GOP incumbent Larry Kump. The district is heavily Republican, so she'll be favored to win the seat in the fall.

She may be a teenager, but she sounds like a concerned parent when she talks about why she ran.

"A lot of my friends around the state have been able to find a good education in the state of West Virginia, but they haven't been able to get a job," she says.

May 15, 2014
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2014/05/15/312494574/meet-the-high-school-student-who-beat-a-state-lawmaker?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140515

Now, how bad do you have to be as a politician to lose out to a 17-year old who hasn't made it out of high school yet? I mean, it's awesome that she's this motivated, but I mean, this shouldn've been a slam dunk for the experienced guy, and then there's this:

she'll be favored to win the seat in the fall.

Gunny
05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Nice.

Can't vote yet, but running for office.

Can't legally own a handun.

Can't legally purchase or use tobacco.

Can't legally drink.

But she can change those laws. :laugh:

Gaffer
05-16-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm guessing they don't have an age limit for state reps in WVA.

Gunny
05-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Just TOO easy.:laugh:

I hear they don't have age limits for a lot of things in WVA. :)

DragonStryk72
05-16-2014, 07:50 PM

They do, but since she'll be 18 in July, they let her run.