PDA

View Full Version : AT&T buys DirecTV for $48.5 billion

NightTrain
05-19-2014, 10:52 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/business/2014/05/18/att-buys-directv/9247795/?sf26322427=1

Not good for you and me as consumers. We all know what less competition means in the long run - paying more money for less.

I'm against the whole 'Bundling' thing because of rate creep. My first experience with it was painful, started out with about $275 / month for a couple of cell phones, internet and cable. And a landline for the kids because I don't buy 10 year olds a cell phone - they can barely keep themselves out of a mud puddle, let alone expensive electronics. I kept an eye on it for a few months, it fluctuated a little bit but was fairly close to what I'd agreed to.

Fast forward a couple of years without really paying attention, just pay the bill automatically because I'm a busy guy and I'm paying a whopping $450 to $500 per month! Yeah, you could have put a quarter in each of my nostrils.

Most of those services, as it turns out, were "introductory rates" that were not explained to me. In fact, I remember clearly asking the jackass behind the counter what my bill would be and if there were any hidden fees / taxes / increases that would occur, I was cheerily told absolutely not, sir! "This will be your bill."

I can understand that costs do go up, but not on this scale. This was pure greed on the part of the company that was taking advantage of me. The cell phones were primarily the excuse for the massive hike, because they changed my plan to one I didn't want (more expensive, coincidently) and it was done without my consent. The other services had gone up considerably too, but nothing like the cell phones.

Of course, there was the small print that made this fiscal fuckery legal for them.

So, now my landline is AT&T, with 2 cell phones. Another company has 2 more cell phones because I need this particular coverage when I go out into the boonies. DirecTV has my cable. Another company handles my internet. Now I'm riding at about $300 total.

However... looks like AT&T just got me partially bundled again. I'll be keeping an eye on them.

darin
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
I really like my DirecTv. I hope AT&T doesn't f it up :(

hjmick
05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Lack of choice for the consumer is bad news. I'm not sure why the government entity that approves these sorts of things doesn't put the kibash on some of these buyouts and mergers. They are there to servve the public interest, are they not?

DMP, my understanding of the buyout is, Direct TV will continue to be run by the folks running it now, at least for the time being...

jimnyc
05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally, I switched to DirecTV so that I could get the NFL Sunday Ticket, and be able to watch all Steelers games. That better not change!! But I also give them 5 stars on the rest of their programming, which I'm enjoying much more now in HD. Don't fix anything that isn't broken!

fj1200
05-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Lack of choice for the consumer is bad news. I'm not sure why the government entity that approves these sorts of things doesn't put the kibash on some of these buyouts and mergers. They are there to servve the public interest, are they not?

I'm sure the FCC, or someone, will have to sign off on the deal. The government may have some requirements before approving.

aboutime
05-22-2014, 04:26 PM
http://www.economicshelp.org/microessays/markets/regulation-monopoly/