PDA

View Full Version : Italy?

Abbey Marie
05-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Has anyone here been? Can you give me some recommendations for a trip? We've never been there, and I'm torn between the Amalfi Coast for a beautiful, relaxing trip, and the Rome/Vatican maybe Venice sightseeing kind of trip. Unfortunately, time and finances probably do not allow for both.

gabosaurus
05-21-2014, 12:09 PM
My college roommate lives in Milan. I have been there a few times. We are returning at the end of July for her wedding. It an incredibly beautiful and historic place with a ton of attactions.
If I was looking for one place in Italy for a nice, relaxing visit, I would choose the coast line known as the "Italian Riviera." Just south of Nice. Rome is nice, but it is incredibly crowded and very expensive.

CSM
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Took a Mediteranean cruise which included a two day, pre-cruise stay in Rome followed by a cruise with stops in Sicily, Crete, Greece (Athens) and Turkey and return to Rome. Followed that up with a two day post cruise stay in Venice. It was VERY interesting and fun. I know some travel agents that could set that up for you if you are interested. I will say that the highest price item is airline fares.

Drummond
05-21-2014, 12:52 PM
There's not much I can contribute of any value here ... my experience of Italy only covers happening to cross the border with Austria and spending a day in a border Italian town.

I remember it fondly for one specific reason ... going into a cafe and ordering THE best cup of coffee I've ever had. A cup of espresso coffee in a miniature cup, the coffee (I kid you not) having a taste and consistency reminiscent of a syrup.

Absolutely delicious. I've had thousands of 'espressos' since, but none match my memory of that particular one.

Trigg
05-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Loved it!!

Stayed in Rome with a visit to Florence, which I highly suggest. It's a beautiful city, I wish we could have spent more than a day there.

They are both great walking around cities with plenty to keep you busy or just find a bistro and enjoy people watching. There are plenty of English tours through the ruins and every cathedral had English version ear buds available.

Trigg
05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Loved it!!

Stayed in Rome with a visit to Florence, which I highly suggest. It's a beautiful city, I wish we could have spent more than a day there.

They are both great walking around cities with plenty to keep you busy or just find a bistro and enjoy people watching. There are plenty of English tours through the ruins and every cathedral had English version ear buds available.

Don't be afraid to use public transportation, they are clean and on time. Not like the smaller cities here.

NightTrain
05-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Loved it!!

Don't be afraid to use public transportation, they are clean and on time. Not like the smaller cities here.

I watched a documentary about pick-pockets and thieves, and they had a segment on Rome where they said tourists were getting nailed left and right and made it sound like it was epidemic there. This was especially focused on public transportation where the theft occurred and the film crew busted a couple of gangs working together against one target.

Did you see any of that or was the show exaggerating?

aboutime
05-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Has anyone here been? Can you give me some recommendations for a trip? We've never been there, and I'm torn between the Amalfi Coast for a beautiful, relaxing trip, and the Rome/Vatican maybe Venice sightseeing kind of trip. Unfortunately, time and finances probably do not allow for both.

Abbey. While in the navy. Had the pleasure of taking several tours from Naples, on several Med. cruises. Got to see Rome, Milan, Pisa, and the mountainous countryside around Vesuvius on several other occasions. We had limited (one, or two day) time ashore due to military restrictions. But my favorite time was visiting the Cloisters outside of Rome. The amazing History there, and in Rome are spectacular. My last visit was in the late 80's. Just missed a trip to see Vatican City. But I did walk away with a Medallion of POPE JOHN PAUL. Still have it, with a Stone Carved model of the Colosseum that weighs about 5 pounds.
Wish I had been able to do Venice, but that is on the Eastern side of Italy.
Also enjoyed several trips through the Straits of Messina, where Sicily and the World War II actions of General Patton took place.
Beautiful, breathtaking scenery. And the people always seemed very friendly.

aboutime
05-21-2014, 03:06 PM
I watched a documentary about pick-pockets and thieves, and they had a segment on Rome where they said tourists were getting nailed left and right and made it sound like it was epidemic there. This was especially focused on public transportation where the theft occurred and the film crew busted a couple of gangs working together against one target.

NightTrain. We were always warned before we left the ship on Liberty about always using the "Buddy System". Never being alone.
We did see...(back then in the late 80's) Naples style Road rage where drivers seemed to ignore lights, stop signs, and even drove on the sidewalks. Those streets are generally single lane wide. But the funniest thing I remember. In Naples was the Instant BUS DRIVER STRIKE.
We found out. If a driver was tired, or hungry. They'd stop their bus in the middle of the street, turn it off, and go into a restaurant to eat...for hours.
Pickpockets are everywhere. They steal camera's, or anything they think will get them money.

Trigg
05-21-2014, 04:13 PM

It's a concern definitely, we saw one group harassing a couple pulling luggage.

Definitely get a shuttle to the hotel, DON'T take luggage on public transport. Be aware of people coming at you who are walking to close. I made eye contact with people who I thought looked like they might try to "bump" into me. I also brought a purse that zipped and snapped and made sure to walk with my hand on it whenever we were in a crowded place.

In the end though we were never bothered, especially on public transport, and we used it a lot while we were there. Also, and I know this isn't PC, the gypsies stand out avoid them like the plague they're the ones doing the begging and stealing.

Abbey Marie
05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses. :cool:

I am not worried about pickpockets. I grew up in the South Bronx, and I had to learn how to handle street issues pretty well.

One big thing is knowing when to make eye contact, and when to absolutely avoid it. Also, a cross-body zippered small purse that I keep in front of me, and I keep my hands over too, is key. Even better, is to keep the really valuable/important stuff in a tight front jeans pocket. I do that even here if I am in a city.

gabosaurus
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
One big thing is knowing when to make eye contact, and when to absolutely avoid it. Also, a cross-body zippered small purse that I keep in front of me, and I keep my hands over too, is key. Even better, is to keep the really valuable/important stuff in a tight front jeans pocket. I do that even here if I am in a city.

Milan and London also attract a lot of pickpockets. The best solution I found was a belt-like strap that has several thin pockets attached to it. You wear it around your waist, but under your shirt or blouse. I also have a zippered tote bag with a strap that connects like a seat belt. One strap goes over your shoulder and the other goes around your waist.

jimnyc
05-22-2014, 08:30 AM
All I know is you can't get "real" Italian food there, or so I'm told. Wifey told me that sandwiches at most places are more like cold cuts on crackers, and that marinara sauce is hard to be found. How dare those Italians not make Italian food the way I like it!!

My Grandmother is from Lucca and still has a home in Lucca. This is Diana's grandmother, who is about to turn 94. The place is in the middle of nowhere and appears to be very boring. Not even sure why I brought it up! :)

Trigg
05-22-2014, 05:57 PM
All I know is you can't get "real" Italian food there, or so I'm told. Wifey told me that sandwiches at most places are more like cold cuts on crackers, and that marinara sauce is hard to be found. How dare those Italians not make Italian food the way I like it!!

My Grandmother is from Lucca and still has a home in Lucca. This is Diana's grandmother, who is about to turn 94. The place is in the middle of nowhere and appears to be very boring. Not even sure why I brought it up! :)

I was surprised by the pizza and bread.....horrible. :laugh: I was also horrified to find out that I couldn't get cold milk, breakfast was a disappointment the entire time I was there.

The rest of the food was yummy though and the wine was awesome :cheers2:

aboutime
05-22-2014, 06:03 PM
I was surprised by the pizza and bread.....horrible. :laugh: I was also horrified to find out that I couldn't get cold milk, breakfast was a disappointment the entire time I was there.

The rest of the food was yummy though and the wine was awesome :cheers2:

Trigg. Agreed about the food. I tried several versions of known (American) Italian dishes, and must say. They all were terrible.
I do remember a hamburger from a street-side, open-air restaurant that was really tasty, and interesting. It was on a hard bun, cooked..almost scorched to burned..and French Fries were placed on top of the burger. There were no fresh vegies (lettuce, tomato, onion). But a salad type of dressing (almost mayo) on top. Pretty good at the time but, a nasty aftertaste later.

Drummond
05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Milan and London also attract a lot of pickpockets. The best solution I found was a belt-like strap that has several thin pockets attached to it. You wear it around your waist, but under your shirt or blouse. I also have a zippered tote bag with a strap that connects like a seat belt. One strap goes over your shoulder and the other goes around your waist.

I think what really matters is that you should avoid looking or acting too obviously like a tourist, or for that matter, don't hang around the obviously tourist-oriented locations for too long at a time. You mention London .. well, I'm an ex-Londoner. I've lived most of my life there. Not ONCE, in all my decades there, did I ever get my pocket picked ... nor did I ever know anyone who did.

Drummond
05-22-2014, 06:43 PM

This afternoon, I gained some input from a work colleague who has strong associations with Italy.

The Amalfi region ... my colleague agrees with your description.

But the suggestion also is that if you're going to visit Italy, getting to Venice is a 'must'.

Abbey Marie
05-22-2014, 08:41 PM
This afternoon, I gained some input from a work colleague who has strong associations with Italy.

The Amalfi region ... my colleague agrees with your description.

But the suggestion also is that if you're going to visit Italy, getting to Venice is a 'must'.

Thanks for asking about it, Drummond. :cool: Did your colleague say particularly what made Venice so great?

Drummond
05-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for asking about it, Drummond. :cool: Did your colleague say particularly what made Venice so great?

From what I remember, she didn't go into any detail. So, I'll have to ask about that when I can ...

... which won't be for a few days, I'm afraid. I'm only catching up with this after my work day has ended, and it's just after 8PM, locally, as I'm typing this. Moreover ... we have a Bank Holiday Monday this coming week, so the earliest I can ask is Tuesday.

I'll come back with a reply after I next speak with her.

Drummond
05-27-2014, 03:07 PM
... Well .. I had a chance to ask further about Venice today. So I did.

My colleague was somewhat bemused by the query, I think. The answer I got back was 'Because it's unique'.

I suppose she has a point. Where else could you go for a citywide stroll and have a definite chance of drowning if you take a wrong turn ?

So there's not much I can tell you (having never holidayed there myself). Apparently the Amalfi area is good if you want to go to the beach ? Also, if you prefer hotter temperatures, southern Italy offers them over the North of the country.

Sorry I can't help further, Abbey.