PDA

View Full Version : Does anyobe here know anything about opening a Roller Rink?

nevadamedic
06-19-2007, 01:46 PM
My brother and I are looking at opening one here in Carson City since we have nothing here for kids to do other then goto the movies. Any help or advice anyone could give would be awesome!

Mr. P
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Does anyobe here know anything about opening a Roller Rink?

Yep, you need a lot of skates a 100x500 flat hard level surface and GOOD insurance.:poke:

Kathianne
06-19-2007, 04:32 PM
My brother and I are looking at opening one here in Carson City since we have nothing here for kids to do other then goto the movies. Any help or advice anyone could give would be awesome!
This one has been very successful, wouldn't hurt to try and email them, they've been in business a long time.

http://www.lombardrollerrink.com/

nevadamedic
06-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Were also considering putting a huge indoor playground in with one of those bounse houses and ball pit, batting cages, arcade, bumper boats, minature golf and eventually an indy track. Basically a complete fun center. I would love to have lazer tag but that is expensive, they want close to $20,000 for all the equment for 10 players. :(

jimnyc
06-21-2007, 05:28 PM
It's very easy!

Buy acre of land
Pay lotsa money to have building put up
Buy lotsa roller skates in many sizes
Buy food and drinks for the little retards
Spend a fortune advertising
Hire kids at minimum wage
Have successful business
Lose successful business when someone twists their ankle

Be back here debating in 6 months.

Welcome back!

nevadamedic
06-21-2007, 06:46 PM
It's very easy!

Buy acre of land
Pay lotsa money to have building put up
Buy lotsa roller skates in many sizes
Buy food and drinks for the little retards
Spend a fortune advertising
Hire kids at minimum wage
Have successful business
Lose successful business when someone twists their ankle

Be back here debating in 6 months.

Welcome back!

Do you wanna come manage it? :laugh2:

Pale Rider
06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I rolled skated practically every Tuesday and Thursday night for years when I was younger. I had my own custom skates, and it was a lot of fun. Here's where I used to skate... http://rollerdrome.tripod.com/

Sounds like you're looking at about a 5 to 10 million dollar investment nm. I hope you have good credit/investors lined up.

nevadamedic
06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I rolled skated practically every Tuesday and Thursday night for years when I was younger. I had my own custom skates, and it was a lot of fun. Here's where I used to skate... http://rollerdrome.tripod.com/

Sounds like you're looking at about a 5 to 10 million dollar investment nm. I hope you have good credit/investors lined up.

Not at all, we've calculated everything and were looking at $75,000 for the Roller Rink. For the bounce house set up were looking at another $10,000 batting cages are $1,800 for three indoor cages. Im still waiting for a quote on the Mini Golf set up and the Bumper Boat set up. But were thinking no more then $200,000. We will probably do a lease option on the property, being my dad is a Real Estate broker with over 35 years experience he can get us a great deal, and he has a ton of investors who have buisnesses up here who might be interested once we finish the business plan. There also are state programs that help you raise the money needed.

Pale Rider
06-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Not at all, we've calculated everything and were looking at $75,000 for the Roller Rink. For the bounce house set up were looking at another $10,000 batting cages are $1,800 for three indoor cages. Im still waiting for a quote on the Mini Golf set up and the Bumper Boat set up. But were thinking no more then $200,000. We will probably do a lease option on the property, being my dad is a Real Estate broker with over 35 years experience he can get us a great deal, and he has a ton of investors who have buisnesses up here who might be interested once we finish the business plan. There also are state programs that help you raise the money needed.

$75,000? For a complete, up and running, turn key, new construction building and foundation, batting cage, bounce room, mini golf, roller rink? You can't lay down a wooden SKATE FLOOR for that much. I think your numbers are a little askew nm. I've looked at buying a little bar here in Reno called Third Street Blues. It's not a big place by any means. I can buy in half partner at $75K, and buy the business outright for $140K. But that's just the business. I'd have to lease the building, and the owner is a screw job that charges outrageous rent. But he's willing to sell the property... FOR $1.4 MILLION!!! That's just a little bar! And you're talking about a great big huge building??!! I just can't believe even $200K total. It's got to add up to a lot more than that. The land alone around here zoned business will cost you more than that.

shattered
06-22-2007, 06:02 AM
For $75, you might be able to put a piece of flooring in your basement - you're not getting a total complete package, up and running for $200k. Hell, you can't even open a corner ice cream stand for that.

That said.. How would you even begin to get loans for all of this? Banks want collateral. With a solid 3 years out of work, you can't really have any built up. IF you get that, and IF you get started, my guess is you can figure your insurance premiums alone to be about $200k.

I'd say get back to the drawing board.

TheSage
06-22-2007, 07:38 AM
1. Insist on clockwise skating, except once a night when it's "reverse skate".
2. Have ample "couple skates". Slow songs. Make at least one every evening a "Ladies Choice" skate.
3. In the middle of the evening you must do the hokey pokey, and have some speed racing competitions.
4. There must be plenty of strobes, neon, or other great lighting.
5. You must have good tunes.
6. You must serve hot pretzels, hot dogs, pop corn, pizza, and fruit flavored Icees in a skate-in snack shop.

Mr. P
06-22-2007, 09:12 AM
How much money will it cost to open a roller skating center?
The amount can vary greatly depending on the local cost of land, zoning requirements, construction, permits, etc. Obviously a small rink in a small town will be cheaper than a big one in New York City. While the cost to build a new skating center can average costs about $1,000,000, it can easily go up or down based on your unique circumstances.
http://www.rollerskating.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=6

Hagbard Celine
06-22-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.artybees.co.nz/bizarre-book-images/past-their-expiry-date/jammin'-roller-disco-2.jpg

Pale Rider
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
1. Insist on clockwise skating, except once a night when it's "reverse skate".2. Have ample "couple skates". Slow songs. Make at least one every evening a "Ladies Choice" skate.
3. In the middle of the evening you must do the hokey pokey, and have some speed racing competitions.
4. There must be plenty of strobes, neon, or other great lighting.
5. You must have good tunes.
6. You must serve hot pretzels, hot dogs, pop corn, pizza, and fruit flavored Icees in a skate-in snack shop.

"Counter clockwise." Reverse skate is clockwise.

Everything else is right on the money. You've been to a rink before RWA.

Kathianne
06-22-2007, 01:48 PM
"Counter clockwise." Reverse skate is clockwise.

Everything else is right on the money. You've been to a rink before RWA.

Don't forget the 'Hokey Pokey'!

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
$75,000? For a complete, up and running, turn key, new construction building and foundation, batting cage, bounce room, mini golf, roller rink? You can't lay down a wooden SKATE FLOOR for that much. I think your numbers are a little askew nm. I've looked at buying a little bar here in Reno called Third Street Blues. It's not a big place by any means. I can buy in half partner at $75K, and buy the business outright for $140K. But that's just the business. I'd have to lease the building, and the owner is a screw job that charges outrageous rent. But he's willing to sell the property... FOR $1.4 MILLION!!! That's just a little bar! And you're talking about a great big huge building??!! I just can't believe even $200K total. It's got to add up to a lot more than that. The land alone around here zoned business will cost you more than that.

Were going to go in a pre existing warehouse. The florring we found was $1.35 per sf. That was the most expensive part. Sounds like that guy is trying to screw you. My dad just had a bar listed here in Carson for $50,000 for the business.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Don't forget the 'Hokey Pokey'!

You forgot Red Light Green Light and that big fuzzy dice game.

Kathianne
06-22-2007, 02:11 PM
You forgot Red Light Green Light and that big fuzzy dice game.

OK! Sounds like fun, I'm just afraid now if I skated I'd break something. I know, I'm -------> :lame2:

I spent most Friday nights at a roller rink from about the age of 11-15. It was a blast!

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
OK! Sounds like fun, I'm just afraid now if I skated I'd break something. I know, I'm -------> :lame2:

I spent most Friday nights at a roller rink from about the age of 11-15. It was a blast!

Just put pads on and tape a big pillow to your butt :laugh2:

Kathianne
06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Just put pads on and tape a big pillow to your butt :laugh2:

Butt=pillow
elbows/knees=sports pads
Head=helmet
Shoulders=?
Fingers=?

I'm telling you, arthritis wrecks havoc on the body. I loved gymnastics as a kid, but all those injuries, I'm paying the price now. Sigh.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Butt=pillow
elbows/knees=sports pads
Head=helmet
Shoulders=?
Fingers=?

I'm telling you, arthritis wrecks havoc on the body. I loved gymnastics as a kid, but all those injuries, I'm paying the price now. Sigh.

It's called Vioxx and Lidoderm patches. The Lidoderm patches work wonders, they are basically a non narcotic novocaine patch, and it numbs up the pain areas for up to 12 hours, they are a lifesaver with my back injury.

Kathianne
06-22-2007, 02:38 PM
It's called Vioxx and Lidoderm patches. The Lidoderm patches work wonders, they are basically a non narcotic novocaine patch, and it numbs up the pain areas for up to 12 hours, they are a lifesaver with my back injury.

I'm like pill a phobic. I take aspirin, the doc wants to give me more, but I'm very concerned about other side effects, they've yet to identify. Most arthritis meds were found to cause serious problems, which made me doubly glad I'd avoided. Arthritis set in first in my knees, (2 drainings on my left, 1 on my right in hs), when I was 28. Since then, toes, fingers, shoulders, neck, elbows, and spine. Yes, it runs in paternal side, but the severity seems related to sports injuries.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm like pill a phobic. I take aspirin, the doc wants to give me more, but I'm very concerned about other side effects, they've yet to identify. Most arthritis meds were found to cause serious problems, which made me doubly glad I'd avoided. Arthritis set in first in my knees, (2 drainings on my left, 1 on my right in hs), when I was 28. Since then, toes, fingers, shoulders, neck, elbows, and spine. Yes, it runs in paternal side, but the severity seems related to sports injuries.

Lidoderm patches they have found to have no problems with.

Abbey Marie
06-22-2007, 03:05 PM
If it's anything like ice skating rinks, be prepared for teens making out (or worse) in dark corners. :coffee:

Pale Rider
06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Were going to go in a pre existing warehouse. The florring we found was $1.35 per sf. That was the most expensive part. Sounds like that guy is trying to screw you. My dad just had a bar listed here in Carson for $50,000 for the business.

Well good luck in any case.

But the bar here is real popular. Third Street Blues does a nice business, and we're talking "third street." Right down town. They're planning on building a platform over the train tunnel with a huge court yard on it, and right beside that is the new condo tower. So there will be an INCREDIBLE walk in business there just across the street, and the building owner knows that. It's prime down town Reno property. I'd love to own it, but there's no way I'd get into it unless I owned the building, and there's no way I can come up with $1.4 mil.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Well good luck in any case.

But the bar here is real popular. Third Street Blues does a nice business, and we're talking "third street." Right down town. They're planning on building a platform over the train tunnel with a huge court yard on it, and right beside that is the new condo tower. So there will be an INCREDIBLE walk in business there just across the street, and the building owner knows that. It's prime down town Reno property. I'd love to own it, but there's no way I'd get into it unless I owned the building, and there's no way I can come up with $1.4 mil.

There are state programs that help you out. Im sure you can negotiate the price down. You should talk to my dad maybe he could help.

Pale Rider
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
There are state programs that help you out. Im sure you can negotiate the price down. You should talk to my dad maybe he could help.

I looked into the V.A. and S.B.A.. It's too much money for me. I don't have anything for a down payment that would come close.

nevadamedic
06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
I looked into the V.A. and S.B.A.. It's too much money for me. I don't have anything for a down payment that would come close.

Why don't you just open a bar from scratch?

Pale Rider
06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Why don't you just open a bar from scratch?

Takes too much time to get a liquor license. I'm pretty sure I'm moving back up to Montana anyway, as soon as all my business here is wrapped up. I'm sick of the city, all the people, traffic. I need some space to live out my retirement.