PDA

View Full Version : 50 senators to NFL: Change Redskins' racist name

jimnyc
05-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I can see that they are not going to let this go. They are going to push and push, and politics will take over and outside interests will force a name change. What a shame if that happens. So many Indian officials have talked in favor of the name, at the stadium, to reporters. The name was originally made as a sign of respect. If the NFL were against it, then why didn't they say anything in the past, oh, 82 years? That's because they didn't have an issue with it, until someone else did. What happens next when someone has an issue with another name? And then another? Since when do outside interests change the history of the NFL? Pols and polls and polls, from NFL players, season ticket holders, Redskins fans.. They are ALL extremely in favor of the name as it is. They claim this is racist and bigotry. Since it can go either way with such a name, why don't they, or anyone else, show where there was ever a single intent to be racist/bigoted.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Half the U.S. Senate urged NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday to change the Washington Redskins' name, saying it is a racist slur and the time is ripe to replace it.

In one letter, 49 senators cited the NBA's quick action recently to ban Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life after he was heard on an audio recording making offensive comments about blacks. They said Goodell should formally push to rename the Redskins.

"We urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports," read the letter, which did not use the word "Redskins."

Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, wrote his own letter saying he doesn't believe that retaining the Redskin name "is appropriate in this day and age." He described himself as "one of your great fans for both the game and you personally."

The letters come at a time of growing pressure to change the team name, with statements in recent months from President Barack Obama, lawmakers of both parties and civil rights groups.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has refused to change the name, citing tradition. The franchise has been known as the Redskins since 1933, when it played in Boston.

Last month, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., took to the Senate floor to say Snyder should "do what is morally right" and change the name. Thursday's letters were aimed directly at Goodell.

In a written response, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said "diversity and inclusion" have long been a focus of the NFL.

http://news.yahoo.com/50-senators-nfl-change-redskins-racist-name-165404240--politics.html

aboutime
05-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Sounds like the PERFECT time in History to REPLACE those 49 names in the Senate as well.:lol:

The President/Congress/Supreme Court should have no say in the decisions of Private American citizens who choose to use any name they want.
I will only endorse this, as a hypocrite...if those 49 Senators also create a law that STOPS the use of the "N" word in America, and make it's use Punishable by Compelling it's users to Graduate from a Recognized, Legitimate ELEMENTARY school.:dance:

Drummond
05-22-2014, 02:38 PM
George Orwell definitely knew what he was talking about. Pity he got the year wrong, though .....

Noir
05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
If you were talking about a native american, would you refer to them as a 'red skin'?

Drummond
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I'd refer to MYSELF in that way, if I'd been out in the sun for too long .... and I'm not American, nor am I racist against myself ...

All this getting hung up on long-accepted names, for the sake of advancing some puerile and latterly-invented political correctness, none of which had been needed to be considered, ever, for any reason, for HOW many decades .. ?????

... spare me !!!!

Noir
05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
I'd refer to MYSELF in that way, if I'd been out in the sun for too long .... and I'm not American, nor am I racist against myself ...

Jeez, assuming you're not joking, why would you think that's an acceptable thing to say?

When you get your face and hands black after working on your car do you refer to yourself as a nigger?

Drummond
05-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Jeez, assuming you're not joking, why would you think that's an acceptable thing to say?

When you get your face and hands black after working on your car do you refer to yourself as a nigger?

It was a lighthearted remark, Noir. Even so ... so what ??

And to answer your second question, well ... it's never occurred to me to call myself a 'nigger' because I might dirty my face or hands. But, you see, if it ever HAD, I wouldn't consider it to be any terrible thing.

Here's the point, Noir. An emotional association is being foisted on the name 'Redskins', one designed to make people think in a particular way. Such an association is only NOW being advanced ... I'm sure American society carried on, throughout all these past decades, without either wanting or needing to tar the name in such a way .. and I'm also sure that not a jot of harm was caused in the process, at any time.

The supposed 'harm' is only perceived NOW, by those insisting that such harm either does, or must, now exist.

This is attitude management by sick control-freaks at its worst, Noir. No harm NEED occur - but those with a control-freaking mindset insist on inventing that harm.

Noir
05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
It was a lighthearted remark, Noir. Even so ... so what ??

And to answer your second question, well ... it's never occurred to me to call myself a 'nigger' because I might dirty my face or hands. But, you see, if it ever HAD, I wouldn't consider it to be any terrible thing.

Here's the point, Noir. An emotional association is being foisted on the name 'Redskins', one designed to make people think in a particular way. Such an association is only NOW being advanced ... I'm sure American society carried on, throughout all these past decades, without either wanting or needing to tar the name in such a way .. and I'm also sure that not a jot of harm was caused in the process, at any time.

The supposed 'harm' is only perceived NOW, by those insisting that such harm either does, or must, now exist.

This is attitude management by sick control-freaks at its worst, Noir. No harm NEED occur - but those with a control-freaking mindset insist on inventing that harm.

Im sure you'll be disappointed to know people like myself read posts like this in horror. 'No harm done, not a terrible thing'. Sadface.

Drummond
05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Im sure you'll be disappointed to know people like myself read posts like this in horror. 'No harm done, not a terrible thing'. Sadface.

Correct. I am indeed disappointed. Not surprised -- just disappointed.

I refuse to buy into the control freakery implicit in the political correctness involved here, Noir. It's JUST A NAME we're discussing at the end of the day, and one which has NOT involved harm in all the DECADES it's been in existence.

Anyone insisting on inventing harm where none previously existed, must have a motive in doing so. And/or an agenda.

But who NEEDS to have that agenda, or its invention, gratuitously shoved down their throats ?

Gaffer
05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm part Iroquois. That's a redskin noir. I'm not offended by any of it. It's just a term used to describe a race or in this case a football team. Actually I don't like the term native American. If you don't want to use Indian because it's confusing then how about Injun? I'm part Injun and proud of it, like Tyr. The only people offended by the name Redskins are liberal white assholes who want to control everything we think and say. And noir, if the descriptions fits you wear it.

Abbey Marie
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
If they change the name, will there no longer be any association with Native Americans? If so, they lose any reference to them at all. How is that positive for NAs?

If they change it to a less offensive but still Native American name, what would that be?
The Washington Scalpers?

One of my favorite bumper stickers: "Protect the easily offended: Ban everything".

aboutime
05-22-2014, 04:14 PM
If they change the name, will there no longer be any association with Native Americans? If so, they lose any reference to them at all. How is that positive for NAs?

If they change it to a less offensive but still Native American name, what would that be?
The Washington Scalpers?

One of my favorite bumper stickers: "Protect the easily offended: Ban everything".

Abbey. Isn't it amazing how the SENATE of the United States can take action on such trivial, unimportant item's like a football team's name. While the nation those Senators are supposed to be serving...falls apart from the APATHY, HATRED, and STUPIDITY of One person...In charge? Like Harry Reid?
If Americans can't see how the wool is being pulled over their eyes by now. In General. Americans deserve everything they get.
Ignorance rules.

namvet
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/28/article-2436493-18562AB700000578-292_634x345.jpg

do hope they stop here for an ass kickin'

jafar00
05-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I have to ask, did any American Indians complain about it?

It's just like the change from Merry Christmas to Happy Holidays to avoid offending Muslims and Jews, when Muslims and Jews living in western countries don't care about it at all.

PC nonsense.

namvet
05-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Roger Goodell says ‘Nine of 10 Native Americans support the Redskins’ name’

link (http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/31/roger-goodell-washington-redskins-name/)

Reid should be buried in a hole up to his fuckin' neck !!!!

hjmick
05-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Fifty? Only fifty? Get me sixty-four more and maybe I'll care... Yeah, sixty-four more and every senator in the Union will be on board and I'll know it's an important issue that requires immediate attention...

jimnyc
05-23-2014, 07:24 AM
If you were talking about a native american, would you refer to them as a 'red skin'?

If I were to meet an Indian from way back when, which is impossible, but if I could... I would probably say "Damn, you're one of the Redskins that the team made it's name off of? That's awesome!! Today we celebrate and honor the brave Indians of the past, so I'm a luck bastard to actually meet a Redskin that the team used in it's name. You effing rule!!!"

Indians - tough ass bastards, fighters, fought for their land... If anyone thinks that for a single solitary moment that they used this name to be racist, they are nuts. Just because someone else misinterprest the name, and thinks it's bad, while they are actually being honored, that's the problem of theirs and the team and honorees shouldn't have to suffer as a result of someone else's mistake. Again, 80+ years with zero issues. The majority of Indians spoken to are all for it. The fans are more than for it. Just because a handful of people somehow misconstrue it and find baseless racism in it, that wasn't intended, they shouldn't have to alter the name to appease someone who got it wrong.

aboutime
05-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Fifty? Only fifty? Get me sixty-four more and maybe I'll care... Yeah, sixty-four more and every senator in the Union will be on board and I'll know it's an important issue that requires immediate attention...

hjmick. HOW? If there are only 100 Senators?

hjmick
05-23-2014, 02:41 PM
hjmick. HOW? If there are only 100 Senators?

What do you mean? One hundred? Impossible!

Two per state, fifty-seven states, Obama says so... That's one hundred and fourteen senators. Obama can't be wrong...

namvet
05-23-2014, 03:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6FIlEQ4.gif

well kiss my crippled ass. since when did any fuckin politican give a rats ass about vets. more smoke and hot air. this will get shoved to the back burner and the heat shut off which has been SOP for years. they don't give shit about vets. never have never will.