PDA

View Full Version : Another Massacre .. Another Anti-Gun crusade ... ?

Drummond
05-25-2014, 02:40 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638427/He-disturbed-boy-British-grandmother-Santa-Barbara-mass-killer-boy-grew-Hollywood-royalty-posted-chilling-blogs-vowing-revenge-against-women-rejected-him.html

Elliot Rodger often complained on his YouTube videos that his life wasn't fair. But, his own social media presence reveals that the son of Hunger Games assistant director Peter Rodger lived a life of privilege.

He posted several videos and pictures behind the wheel of his black BMW 328i, a luxury coupe with a starting price tag of nearly $40,000.

Rodger, who is believed to have killed six people in Santa Barbara on Friday night because he frustrated that he was still a virgin at age 22, posted a YouTube video of his flight home from a vacation to Britain in 2012. He flew first class on Virgin Atlantic.

Obviously I have great sympathy for the victims, and the grief of loved ones.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much of a discussion this story warrants. Here, we have a story of a kid who lived a privileged lifestyle (.. compared to many ..) who resented, to the point of apparent insanity, his lack of success with women. This he apparently thought 'justified' his actions of going on a killing spree.

He was obviously severely disturbed.

This news item is getting a lot of attention in the UK, even more than usual, because the kid was British-born. But .. predictably .. it'll be turned, in the days ahead, into yet another anti-gun crusade, with the case being made yet again that you can never be stringent enough against gun ownership. A big difference between British and American thinking is that the British don't have any sort of gun culture, and so won't be naturally sympathetic to a 'right to bear arms' argument.

Me ... I'm different. PEOPLE kill .. guns are just inanimate objects until people use them. Someone gets killed .. it's the killer's fault, the weapon doesn't bear the blame.

We have lots of knife crime in Britain ... deaths are a product of that crime. Tough gun laws make as much sense to me as if such laws outlawed the ownership of a knife. Goodbye cutlery. Goodbye the traditional carving of the Sunday roast. Because people, if they don't have guns, can and will kill in other ways.

But I know how this will all be played out in the British media .. yet further 'incomprehension' against American gun ownership, with a resolve to toughen up yet further (.. if it's even possible !) on our OWN gun laws in the UK, which are already some of the toughest on the planet.

aboutime
05-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Sir Drummond. All of this endless, needless killing, maiming, attacks, and growing crime across not only America; but around the world, is taking place because human beings are confused, insulted, offended, and selfish that others either have more, or do not want to be around others...for almost every reason imaginable.

None of us can explain it. None of us are capable of doing anything about it. None of us have any power to change human behavior. While, at the same time. Every one of us pretends WE are more important than everyone else. That's the way human beings are.

Anyone who claims, or pretends to have the ANSWER to everything that is wrong in humanity. IS THE PROBLEM.

Personally. I am convinced. IF MORE PEOPLE MINDED THEIR OWN BUSINESS, and tried to be more caring, personally responsible individuals. The Human race would somehow become more tolerant.
Truth is. NONE OF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON.

We are all stuck with each other. And powers in the universe we can't see, or refuse to believe in will eventually decide. WHEN all of this CRAP will end.
My day for that may be...about another ten, or possibly 20 years. If I am lucky. Just long enough to see my Only Grand daughter become a bride, and start the cycle all over again.

jafar00
05-25-2014, 05:02 PM
You must admit, it is of great concern that someone who was receiving treatment for a psychiatric disorder was able to legally obtain firearms and ammunition.

aboutime
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
You must admit, it is of great concern that someone who was receiving treatment for a psychiatric disorder was able to legally obtain firearms and ammunition.

Doesn't really matter jafar. Seems like everyone these days is dealing with, or has a psychiatric disorder. Why else would so many people...all over the World, be so violent, and killing people BECAUSE....THEY CAN?

Drummond
05-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Sir Drummond. All of this endless, needless killing, maiming, attacks, and growing crime across not only America; but around the world, is taking place because human beings are confused, insulted, offended, and selfish that others either have more, or do not want to be around others...for almost every reason imaginable.

None of us can explain it. None of us are capable of doing anything about it. None of us have any power to change human behavior. While, at the same time. Every one of us pretends WE are more important than everyone else. That's the way human beings are.

Anyone who claims, or pretends to have the ANSWER to everything that is wrong in humanity. IS THE PROBLEM.

Personally. I am convinced. IF MORE PEOPLE MINDED THEIR OWN BUSINESS, and tried to be more caring, personally responsible individuals. The Human race would somehow become more tolerant.
Truth is. NONE OF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON.

We are all stuck with each other. And powers in the universe we can't see, or refuse to believe in will eventually decide. WHEN all of this CRAP will end.
My day for that may be...about another ten, or possibly 20 years. If I am lucky. Just long enough to see my Only Grand daughter become a bride, and start the cycle all over again.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

A really great post - thanks, Aboutime !!

Drummond
05-25-2014, 06:46 PM

There are those who would choose to excuse Islamic terrorism in these terms .. as a way of explaining, say, bigotry against the Jewish race, turned into violence against them.

We should each of us take responsibility for our actions. Be personally culpable for them, rather than deflecting away from personal responsibility and enact control-freakery against a society as a whole.

jafar00
05-25-2014, 10:26 PM
There are those who would choose to excuse Islamic terrorism in these terms .. as a way of explaining, say, bigotry against the Jewish race, turned into violence against them.

We should each of us take responsibility for our actions. Be personally culpable for them, rather than deflecting away from personal responsibility and enact control-freakery against a society as a whole.

I don't know where you are going with this. You lost me.

All I'm saying is that a confirmed nutcase should be blacklisted from buying guns and ammo. Unless of course, you are all for the insane running about armed?

Jeff
05-26-2014, 06:56 AM
I don't know where you are going with this. You lost me.

All I'm saying is that a confirmed nutcase should be blacklisted from buying guns and ammo. Unless of course, you are all for the insane running about armed?

They are blacklisted jafar, they can't buy a gun legally, that is exactly my argument. We have laws now that just aren't enforced enough, this guy got his gun's illegally , so now they want to take the guns from the law abiding citizen, like that will stop the problem of criminals buying guns from other criminals. Criminals aren't following the law now so our Gov. ( with all there wisdom) think that if they make more laws maybe they will start following them :rolleyes: All any new laws will do is punish the law abiding citizen and take their right to protect themselves from them, Criminals don't follow the law so people thinking they will when they make new laws is ludicrous.

Drummond
05-26-2014, 09:46 AM
They are blacklisted jafar, they can't buy a gun legally, that is exactly my argument. We have laws now that just aren't enforced enough, this guy got his gun's illegally , so now they want to take the guns from the law abiding citizen, like that will stop the problem of criminals buying guns from other criminals. Criminals aren't following the law now so our Gov. ( with all there wisdom) think that if they make more laws maybe they will start following them :rolleyes: All any new laws will do is punish the law abiding citizen and take their right to protect themselves from them, Criminals don't follow the law so people thinking they will when they make new laws is ludicrous.

Exactly.

And besides, even IF you could somehow stop guns reaching criminals, they'd just find other alternatives. We have a lot of knife crime in the UK, deaths caused by stabbings.

And as tough as our laws are in the UK, still, there are those 'undesirables' out there who manage to get them. Not the law-abiding ... the criminals and the maladjusted. Which just skews things further in their favour.

Gunny
05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638427/He-disturbed-boy-British-grandmother-Santa-Barbara-mass-killer-boy-grew-Hollywood-royalty-posted-chilling-blogs-vowing-revenge-against-women-rejected-him.html

Obviously I have great sympathy for the victims, and the grief of loved ones.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much of a discussion this story warrants. Here, we have a story of a kid who lived a privileged lifestyle (.. compared to many ..) who resented, to the point of apparent insanity, his lack of success with women. This he apparently thought 'justified' his actions of going on a killing spree.

He was obviously severely disturbed.

This news item is getting a lot of attention in the UK, even more than usual, because the kid was British-born. But .. predictably .. it'll be turned, in the days ahead, into yet another anti-gun crusade, with the case being made yet again that you can never be stringent enough against gun ownership. A big difference between British and American thinking is that the British don't have any sort of gun culture, and so won't be naturally sympathetic to a 'right to bear arms' argument.

Me ... I'm different. PEOPLE kill .. guns are just inanimate objects until people use them. Someone gets killed .. it's the killer's fault, the weapon doesn't bear the blame.

We have lots of knife crime in Britain ... deaths are a product of that crime. Tough gun laws make as much sense to me as if such laws outlawed the ownership of a knife. Goodbye cutlery. Goodbye the traditional carving of the Sunday roast. Because people, if they don't have guns, can and will kill in other ways.

But I know how this will all be played out in the British media .. yet further 'incomprehension' against American gun ownership, with a resolve to toughen up yet further (.. if it's even possible !) on our OWN gun laws in the UK, which are already some of the toughest on the planet.

What's missed by the media here is this over-pampered, thinks-he's-entitled, OBVIOUSLY LEFTWINGNUT-minded college student in a Beamer murdered 3 people and injured others because women wouldn't lay down for him? Wah. Get a personality and work for it like everyone else. How pathetic. "I rate pussy because I was born."

Maybe the left should police their own whacko's.