PDA

View Full Version : In response to UC Santa Barbara killings, let’s ban everything

Jeff
05-27-2014, 07:53 AM
So in the wake of another tragedy we have some folks screaming to ban guns again, well three of those that died did so by getting stabbed not shot, so do we now outlaw steak knives as well ? What about a butter knife ( if used right it can cause damage to the human body ) and then we have to remember those that are using their guns for illegal activities how many of them are legally owned now ? So you make guns illegal do you really think the criminals are going to hand theirs in ? Of course not they are criminals.

In the last couple of months we have seen how many different things can be used as a weapon, so what do we do. make everything with a sharp side illegal ( nope can't do that a gun has no sharp sides ) Do we now outlaw automobiles ( yes they are a great weapon ) we see knives killing ( and they have done so for ever ) so all knives are now illegal ? Or maybe we could enforce the laws already on the books and see how that works :eek: Na that won't work it makes to much sense.

They come in different sizes, there are automatic and non-automatic versions, and they were used by UC Santa Barbara killer Elliot Rodger (http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/05/24/uc-santa-barbara-killer-elliot-rodger-sought-punish-spoiled-stuck-blond-sluts/) in the most recent murderous college campus rampage. No, they are not guns — they are knives.
According to the Associated Press (http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Seven-dead-in-drive-by-shooting-near-UC-Santa-Barbara--260530361.html) (via ABC affiliate WFFA), the crazed sex-starved killer stabbed three men to death in his apartment before gunning down two women and a male on the UC campus.

Read more at http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/05/25/response-uc-santa-barbara-killings-lets-ban-everything/#rfGS60m8D3txHmeL.99

Assume for a moment that the president and the authorities, presumably meaning Congress, took action. Imagine that they outlawed the sale and ownership of firearms. Let’s suppose further that in order to make all this kosher, the powers that be repealed the Second Amendment.
Two questions arise. First, how would these law changes decrease the number of unregistered, illegally owned guns in the country? According to a Small Arms Survey (http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/) conducted in 2007 by the Geneva, Switzerland-based Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (http://graduateinstitute.ch/), there’s no way to know how many weapons we are talking about. For what it’s worth, Gunpolicy.org (http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states) estimates the number of both licit and illicit guns held by civilians in the United States to be between 270,000,000 and 310,000,000.
Second, how would these policy shifts alter the fact that half Elliot Rodger’s victims, excluding himself, were killed by knife?

Read more at http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/05/25/response-uc-santa-barbara-killings-lets-ban-everything/#rfGS60m8D3txHmeL.99

As Elizabeth Nelson wrote at the conservative blog Capitalist Preservation (http://capitalistpreservation.blogspot.com/2014/04/22-wounded-in-school-stabbing-evil-is.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CapitalistPreservation+%28Cap italist+Preservation%29) in the wake of the stabbings, “Jack the Ripper, OJ Simpson, Ted Bundy and the BTK killer never used a gun to subdue or killer [sic] their victims.” She goes on to recite a familiar argument, namely that “guns aren’t our problem, mentally ill people are.”

http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/05/25/response-uc-santa-barbara-killings-lets-ban-everything/

Jeff
05-27-2014, 08:02 AM
AAA Yes the Dems are never one to let a good tragedy pass by :rolleyes: And even though three of those killed where killed by a knife it is now time to reintroduce the failed gun Bill they couldn't get passed before. The minute you hear of any kind of tragedy I automatically start looking for the new Laws the Dems are going to push, it is almost to convenient for them, but hell no reason not to bring kids back to some normalcy after a tragedy that I am sure has scared them for life, no better way to heal them than to march them all around on TV , heck send them to the Super Bowl, yes all this for one political party to gain ground, but yea they really care about these kids :rolleyes: or for that matter anyone that was involved in a tragedy.

Mental health records entered in background check database proposed following Sandy Hook
(Info Wars) – Connecticut Democrat Senator Richard Blumenthal told CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday he will urge Congress to take up gun legislation that failed to pass following the Sandy Hook massacre.
“Obviously, not every kind of gun violence is going to be prevented by laws out of Washington,” he said. “But at least we can make a start and I am going to urge that we bring back those bills, maybe reconfigure them, centre on mental health, which is a point where we can agree that we need more resources to make the country healthier and to make sure that these kinds of horrific, insane, mad occurrences are stopped.
- See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/senator-moves-reintroduced-failed-gun-bills-following-ca-shooting-42782/#sthash.gdhlekzf.dpuf

http://www.teaparty.org/senator-moves-reintroduced-failed-gun-bills-following-ca-shooting-42782/

pete311
05-28-2014, 09:10 PM
The fact remains he should never have been able to buy a gun legally. I think we can all agree mentally ill should not be able to buy a gun legally. At least close that silly loop hole.

We waste way too much time on gun control. The root problem is our terrible education system where these kids grow up messed up and our failed mental health services. I see countless wackos roaming my streets when they need treatment. Why are we not developing solutions? The gun debate is such a distraction.

hjmick
05-28-2014, 09:25 PM
The fact remains he should never have been able to buy a gun legally. I think we can all agree mentally ill should not be able to buy a gun legally. At least close that silly loop hole.

We waste way too much time on gun control. The root problem is our terrible education system where these kids grow up messed up and our failed mental health services. I see countless wackos roaming my streets when they need treatment. Why are we not developing solutions? The gun debate is such a distraction.

Has it been established that he purchased the gun legally? Are we sure he didn't steal it from a friend? His father? Perhaps he bought it on the street, illegally. I have not yet heard how he acquired the gun...

pete311
05-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Has it been established that he purchased the gun legally? Are we sure he didn't steal it from a friend? His father? Perhaps he bought it on the street, illegally. I have not yet heard how he acquired the gun...

I haven't seen a store receipt, but most news articles mention it was bought legally.

Gaffer
05-28-2014, 09:47 PM
"Most news articles" are written by liberal anti-gun nuts. How he got the gun is irrelevant. He was a known crazy and his first victims were his room mates who he stabbed to death with a butcher knife. This is just another ban all guns story pushing the liberal agenda.

pete311
05-28-2014, 10:03 PM
"Most news articles" are written by liberal anti-gun nuts. How he got the gun is irrelevant. He was a known crazy and his first victims were his room mates who he stabbed to death with a butcher knife. This is just another ban all guns story pushing the liberal agenda.

So you are in favor of mentally ill people purchasing weapons.

I've already said I agree the gun argument is a distraction. What I don't see are pro gun people making any good suggestions on how to deal with our mental health crisis. These crazies are not getting the treatment they need.

Jeff
05-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Honestly I don't remember but with every gun bought there is a form you must fill out and it ask about your mental health, so if you have ever been medically treated for any type of mental problem you are suppose to answer honestly and at that point he would of been denied, now if he bought it from a friend or something that is different.

I agree 100%

I've already said I agree the gun argument is a distraction. What I don't see are pro gun people making any good suggestions on how to deal with our mental health crisis. These crazies are not getting the treatment they need.

We could start by enforcing the rules that are already out there. As for closing loop holes I personally don't know of to many, in fact besides from buying from a private seller I haven't run across them. But I do know one way not to fix it and that is by taking the rights of law abiding citizens. As a law abiding citizen I should have the right to buy a gun if I want one, and no I shouldn't have to register it or any of that trash, but I also understand with that right comes a great responsibility. With that in mind, personally if I was to sell a gun it would be to a dealer or at least sell it through one ( yes they will take a small fee but the buyer also has to fill out that yellow form) and once they fill it out if they lie that is on them and if the law would follow through and punish it may slow it down at least. And yes if I had a close friend or another gun collector or someone that I knew had to be already checked out I would sell to them and get a signed receipt.

Gaffer
05-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Putting words in my post you are.

The current gun laws are more than stringent enough. What is needed is the reopening of mental institutions for the nuts that are recognized and the rights of family members to put them in when it's needed. Get them off the street and out of the jails and into institutions where they get care and treatment as long as needed. Not kicked out after 30 days.

I'm a pro-gun people. But any suggestions I have are irrelevant as I'm not a law maker and have no influence in anyway.

aboutime
05-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Putting words in my post you are.

The current gun laws are more than stringent enough. What is needed is the reopening of mental institutions for the nuts that are recognized and the rights of family members to put them in when it's needed. Get them off the street and out of the jails and into institutions where they get care and treatment as long as needed. Not kicked out after 30 days.

I'm a pro-gun people. But any suggestions I have are irrelevant as I'm not a law maker and have no influence in anyway.

It's honestly, a matter of Honest Priorities for Congress, and Obama. Instead of constantly playing the gun erradication games. Wouldn't it be better to PAY ATTENTION to the VA FRAUD problems?

Obama, and Democrats always need something to HIDE behind...as in the GUN NUT CRAZE, hoping the attention to guns will distract Americans from the other REAL PROBLEMS, like the IRS, FAST & FURIOUS, OBAMA(don't)CARE, and the ever popular Mister BEN Ghazi.