PDA

View Full Version : Father faces child cruelty charges for teen's punishment

jimnyc
05-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Normally I would tell people to stay out of how others raise their children, but this punishment does seem to be quite over the line, for a kid who is 4'2 - and to do shit like this at 3am? A bit much I think.

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. – Police arrested a Douglasville father on child cruelty charges after the man punished his 16-year-old son by making him carry a 23-pound landscape stone for several miles.

Charlie Mayes, a 40-year-old military veteran with no criminal record, told police he used military-style punishment because his son watched too many videos and didn't do his chores and school work. Douglasville Police charged Mayes with first-degree child cruelty.

"This was done multiple times over a three-day period, sometimes as early as 3 o'clock in the morning," Police Sgt. Todd Garner told 11Alive on Tuesday.

Garner said the boy, who is only 4'2" tall, was also punished in-between the 3-mile hikes.

"In between that time, he was at home having to move rocks and stuff from one side of the back yard to the other and then being taken right back out to the same location and dropped off and made to walk back again," Sgt. Garner added.

The boy's trek would begin on Kings Highway and end at the family's home in the Fairways subdivision.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/douglasville/2014/05/27/charlie-mayes-teen-punished/9642971/

gabosaurus
05-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Some idiots don't deserve to have children. Obviously this person can't differentiate between between being a father and being a drill sergeant.

Yeah Nope
05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Perhaps he went a little too far, but the opposite, where nothing children do ever warrants punishment because they are special snowflakes, is so much worse. Everyone seems surprised when those kids are still living at home at age 30, or are in jail.

Unless some gov't bureaucracy steps to provide "therapy" to this kid (convince him he's a victim that will never recover), he will be just fine and likely will have developed some of the self disipline that is decidedly lacking in our culture.

tailfins
05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Normally I would tell people to stay out of how others raise their children, but this punishment does seem to be quite over the line, for a kid who is 4'2 - and to do shit like this at 3am? A bit much I think.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/douglasville/2014/05/27/charlie-mayes-teen-punished/9642971/

Over 90% of the comments after the article side with the father. How does short-circuiting the father's ability to earn a living with a criminal record help the teen? Given the area, strong discipline may have been necessary to prevent him from becoming a gang banger.

gabosaurus
05-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Over 90% of the comments after the article side with the father. How does short-circuiting the father's ability to earn a living with a criminal record help the teen? Given the area, strong discipline may have been necessary to prevent him from becoming a gang banger.

Tailfins, when was the last time you took your kids for a 20-mile hike? How about rock breaking?

tailfins
05-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Tailfins, when was the last time you took your kids for a 20-mile hike? How about rock breaking?

Only in a 4x4. I offered to let my 13 year old drive. He hasn't worked up the courage yet. I have to push them to resist authority. They are too compliant.

Jeff
05-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Perhaps he went a little too far, but the opposite, where nothing children do ever warrants punishment because they are special snowflakes, is so much worse. Everyone seems surprised when those kids are still living at home at age 30, or are in jail.

Unless some gov't bureaucracy steps to provide "therapy" to this kid (convince him he's a victim that will never recover), he will be just fine and likely will have developed some of the self disipline that is decidedly lacking in our culture.

I agree 100% , the guy went a bit to far but to see children ( and we all have ) that are completely out of control because they have no discipline at all I think does them a lot worse.

I am extremely hard on my boys and guess what everywhere I go all I get is compliments about them, they aren't afraid to work they are always courteous but yet the younger ones can be all boy at the drop of a hat, yes this guy went to far but being hard on a child is not wrong, if more people were to do the same the jails and insane asylums may be a little less crowded .

But people will exaggerate ( 3 mile hike, 20 mile, hell its all the same :laugh: ) to make a guy who carried things a bit to far just to make a point, and we can see what being so soft on kids is doing, just drop by your local HS and you will see things going on that when I was in HS was even thought of.