PDA

View Full Version : White Police Lieutenant Awarded $1.35 Million In Racial Discrimination Lawsuit

jimnyc
05-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Good for him, I'm tired of seeing less qualified people getting jobs based on race and not on performance.

---

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) – A Long Island police lieutenant has been awarded $1.35 million in his racial discrimination lawsuit against the village of Freeport.

Lt. Christopher Barrella, who is white, had accused the village of awarding the police chief’s job to a Hispanic officer with few qualifications and a lower test score.

Following the federal jury’s decision Thursday, Barrella described the process as trying but said he always had faith in the jury system.

“It’s really a good feeling to be validated, and I am incredibly appreciative that the jury saw it my way,” Barrella told 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera.

The former mayor, Andrew Hardwick, was a defendant in the case but could not be reached for comment. He was the village’s first black mayor.

Barrella had charged that Hardwick terminated and demoted qualified, experienced non-Hispanic whites. Barrella charged that Hardwick illegaly chose Miguel Bermudez for the job of police chief.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/30/white-police-lieutenant-awarded-1-35-million-in-racial-discrimination-lawsuit/