PDA

View Full Version : Mad Magazine Presents Obama's Next Horror Movie: Trading Private Bergdahl

Little-Acorn
06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Mad Magazine Presents Obama's Next Horror Movie: Trading Private Bergdahl

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/06/03/mad-magazine-presents-obamas-next-horror-movie-trading-private-bergdahl-n1847206

Priceless.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpOgK_MIEAA9M3A.jpg

NightTrain
06-03-2014, 05:36 PM
lol

You know, what I don't get is how a deserter got promoted from Private to Sergeant while he was away?

That make sense to anyone?

Drummond
06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
lol

You know, what I don't get is how a deserter got promoted from Private to Sergeant while he was away?

????

... a covert Obama intervention .. ?

aboutime
06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
lol

NightTrain. From what I remember, since I was in the Navy, and not the Army is. Because he was considered a PRISONER of war (so to speak). The DOD continued to award him advancement in rank per the YEARS of duty. Which included his captivity.
Unfortunately. I believe his parents were also, probably designated to oversee his Monthly pay while he was SUPPOSEDLY held captive.
It's not unusual. But..I do believe. In this case. IF he is proven to have DEFECTED intentionally. He will be punished by a Court Martial, and probably be forced to REPAY the government if he was A.W.O.L.
Standards are. ANYONE IN UNIFORM who goes AWOL. Loses their pay, and all other benefits.

fj1200
06-03-2014, 05:52 PM
lol

Promotions (http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/POW__MIA_Entitlements.html?serv=147): POW personnel continue to be considered for promotion along with their contemporaries. Policy provides for each missing or captured officer/enlisted member to be considered for promotion to the next higher grade when they are eligible. The eligibility for officers is based on the date of rank in their current grade. For enlisted members, eligibility is based on time in grade and time in service.

:dunno:

Drummond
06-03-2014, 05:55 PM
:dunno:

And what justified the promotion where Bergdahl was concerned ?

fj1200
06-03-2014, 05:58 PM

The passage of time presumably.

aboutime
06-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Sir Drummond. Oddly enough. That is just how the military operates.

But, remember. The same military has the power to TAKE AWAY all promotions, pay, and benefits.

Drummond
06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
The passage of time presumably.

??

There's no such thing as a private who remain one ? Promotions are automatic ?

And in this case, with the shady truths which are now emerging, surely a promotion is the very last thing that should've ever been considered !

Drummond
06-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Sir Drummond. Oddly enough. That is just how the military operates.

But, remember. The same military has the power to TAKE AWAY all promotions, pay, and benefits.

It is indeed odd .. to say the least.

Perhaps, then, he should've been promoted one day, demoted the next ...

fj1200
06-03-2014, 06:28 PM
??

There's no such thing as a private who remain one ? Promotions are automatic ?

And in this case, with the shady truths which are now emerging, surely a promotion is the very last thing that should've ever been considered !

Where did I present myself as expert in such things? There seems to be no other explanation other than the passage of time that would explain his promotions. Unless you just needed a vent for more redundant rhetorical questions. :dunno:

Of course a "covert Obama intervention" is much more logical. :rolleyes:

Gaffer
06-03-2014, 07:47 PM
It may have changed since I was in but the promotions were automatic after so many months up to E-5, Sgt. Beyond that there are evaluations and awards that are used. Anyone not promoted to a certain rank after a certain time is not allowed to stay in the service. The army is the most generous when it comes to promotions and the most stringent about taking them away.

NightTrain
06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Right, I understand that a POW would be promoted... but this is a clear case of deserting, and that's what is confusing to me.

I don't see how someone that deserted was promoted after the fact.

I'm guessing that since he was captured, that changed his official status to POW, regardless of his status prior to capture?

Kind of a unique situation.

fj1200
06-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Right, I understand that a POW would be promoted... but this is a clear case of deserting, and that's what is confusing to me.

I don't see how someone that deserted was promoted after the fact.

Probably not so apparent at the time especially with all the NDAs surrounding the circumstances.