PDA

View Full Version : School District to Give Condoms to Sixth Graders

Jeff
06-05-2014, 07:59 AM
This is ridiculous , giving 11 or 12 year old kids condoms isn't teaching them sex ed at that age it will be nothing more than the kids giggling like school girls ( which they are ) at that age sex ed should be taught slowly, handing them condoms at that age is kinds like giving them the green light to go, even with a stern warning a boy that age will use what ever info he gets with the condom to talk a little girl into it ( yes I was young once ) I mean hell if they are giving us adult things why not act like adults.

An Oregon school district plans to offer condoms to students starting in sixth grade as part of an updated sex education policy aimed at decreasing teen pregnancy, sparking debate over whether 11-year-olds are too young for such a program. The plan by the rural Gervais School District comes after a 2013 survey by nursing students found that 7 percent of district high school girls had experienced pregnancy and 42 percent of students reported "never" or "sometimes" using protection.
"Over the past few decades, teen pregnancy in our community has remained somewhat constant, but higher than the board felt comfortable with," Superintendent Rick Hensel said in a blog post dated Monday.
The district school board approved the sex education policy earlier this month for sixth through 12th graders in the tiny town north of Salem, and Hensel said administrators would hash out details this summer to be implemented in the fall.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/condoms-sixth-grade-Gervais/2014/06/04/id/575249/

jimnyc
06-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Idiots, and WAY out of line for 6th grade.

Just in case anyone questions the source, here it is from Reuters.

http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-school-district-offer-condoms-students-starting-6th-002710449.html;_ylt=AwrBTzreb5BTgU4AHYFXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQz FfMQ--

tailfins
06-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Will they get disciplined if used for rubber band fights or spitball launchers? Having sons, I don't think this stuff fazes boys. What does affect them if they get disciplined for using inappropriate items in a creative way like I mentioned above. It might also be fun to get to class early, open a bunch of them and leave 'em in a pile on the teacher's desk.

aboutime
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Idiots, and WAY out of line for 6th grade.

Just in case anyone questions the source, here it is from Reuters.

http://news.yahoo.com/oregon-school-district-offer-condoms-students-starting-6th-002710449.html;_ylt=AwrBTzreb5BTgU4AHYFXNyoA;_ylu= X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQz FfMQ--

Jim. We really shouldn't be surprised at this. After all. Most of their 6th grade teachers aren't much older, or SMARTER than their students. NEA Union membership has no AGE limits.

Trigg
06-05-2014, 04:08 PM
most 11yr old boys still think girls are kind of gross and they have NOOOOO idea what to do with them. This is assinine

tailfins
06-05-2014, 04:13 PM
most 11yr old boys still think girls are kind of gross and they have NOOOOO idea what to do with them. This is assinine

Sure they do: You irritate them and laugh when they get angry.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2014, 05:00 PM
"Over the past few decades, teen pregnancy in our community has remained somewhat constant, but higher than the board felt comfortable with," Superintendent Rick Hensel said in a blog post dated Monday.

Again, their teen's pregnancy is for the parents be uncomfortable with, not the schools. Teach academics, and shut the heck up. I can't believe I once thought it would be cool to retire in Oregon.

Jeff
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM

I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old and the 12 year old is getting very curious about girls ( but then again he has always like a good looking woman :laugh: ) but my 11 year old who is almost 12 and just finished the 6 Th grade is just now realizing girls aren't wrestling buddies ( well not that kind anyway ) Seriously I can see the difference between the 2 boys and they are only 10 months apart, and even though the older is getting curious he is in no way ready for birth control, but the funny part is both boys know some about sex but like you posted girls are disgusting :laugh:

Trigg
06-06-2014, 06:02 AM
I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old and the 12 year old is getting very curious about girls ( but then again he has always like a good looking woman :laugh: ) but my 11 year old who is almost 12 and just finished the 6 Th grade is just now realizing girls aren't wrestling buddies ( well not that kind anyway ) Seriously I can see the difference between the 2 boys and they are only 10 months apart, and even though the older is getting curious he is in no way ready for birth control, but the funny part is both boys know some about sex but like you posted girls are disgusting :laugh:

Sounds like my youngest. He will be 12 in July and while the girls will walk by and say hi, he just blushes and puts his head down. So, yes, he's noticing them, but just enough to be confused as to why :).

Condoms for this age group is the dumbest thing I could ever think of.

darin
06-06-2014, 06:36 AM
While Abbey's comment is SPOT on, we may want to consider being careful to talk about what 11 and 12 year-olds think about because of outliers. Again, parents' problem - NOT schools.

Jeff
06-06-2014, 06:43 AM
While Abbey's comment is SPOT on, we may want to consider being careful to talk about what 11 and 12 year-olds think about because of outliers. Again, parents' problem - NOT schools.

Agreed dmp, most of what is going on with kids now a days is exactly that a Parent decision, all kids mature at a different rate and no one knows that better than the parents, as I said my 12 year old is further along than his brother who is 11 but about to be 12. Yes this could be nothing more than age difference than it could be that my older boy is maturing quicker.

pete311
06-06-2014, 01:55 PM
I think most of us are out of touch with kids and schools these days. I was shocked to hear a local middle school had a prostitution ring running in it and that kids had been busted for sexual acts in class. It's a whole new world.

pete311
06-06-2014, 01:58 PM

Until you consider that parents are doing an absolutely shit job. Someone has to take over or we will fall to ruin very quickly. You can say it's a parents problem, but how do you enforce good parenting? You can't. The kids gotta get some life info some time.

tailfins
06-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Until you consider that parents are doing an absolutely shit job. Someone has to take over or we will fall to ruin very quickly. You can say it's a parents problem, but how do you enforce good parenting? You can't. The kids gotta get some life info some time.

I guess "it takes a village", huh? That's OK, DCF or whatever your local child seizing agency is called where you are is coming up with more and more definitions of child abuse until any parent can have their kids thrown into foster care. That'll fix it. :thumb:

NightTrain
06-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Pete brings up a good point - we're all aware of the massive amount of bad parents who don't talk to their kids and aren't raising them properly, and this kind of program is targeting that group of kids who don't have caring parents giving them guidance. You certainly can't single out a group of kids or all hell would break loose, so all of them are included.

I'm not sure about handing condoms out at age 11, because at that age girls are both terrifying & fascinating mysteries... but at age 12 the hormones begin to override all available CPU power and the terrifying part subsides - at least that's how it was for me, and we know that some kids mature faster than others.

I met a girl that was 11 and pregnant back in 1988 here in Wasilla, her 'boyfriend' was 16 and went to jail. Yeah, her single mother was useless, but would a program as described in the OP have prevented her from getting knocked up? It's stories like this that drive the argument for early sex education & condom availability.

I don't know what the answer is when you consider all of the kids in any particular school. You don't want to encourage sexual activity by handing out condoms but at the same time you don't want kids having kids.

Some kids are sexually active at age 11, even though all of us agree that it's wrong.

jimnyc
06-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I think most of us are out of touch with kids and schools these days. I was shocked to hear a local middle school had a prostitution ring running in it and that kids had been busted for sexual acts in class. It's a whole new world.

So let schools take over some of the parenting duties? Then do things like that on an emergency basis - but the rest of the kids need not be presented such things at that age. If anything, I think the schools should be doing the exact opposite, teaching regular health and having kids taught that it's "wrong" anyway you slice it at their age. Giving condoms out is as good as encouraging. And save the crap about how "well if they are gonna have sex anyway, we might as well make sure they're protected". No need to involve the masses with this crap if there are a few who weren't raised properly.

Bottom line, I think the school should be out of the sex business entirely. They are there to teach health and basic sex education at most - and sex education doesn't mean teach them how to get started.

Abbey Marie
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
So let schools take over some of the parenting duties? Then do things like that on an emergency basis - but the rest of the kids need not be presented such things at that age. If anything, I think the schools should be doing the exact opposite, teaching regular health and having kids taught that it's "wrong" anyway you slice it at their age. Giving condoms out is as good as encouraging. And save the crap about how "well if they are gonna have sex anyway, we might as well make sure they're protected". No need to involve the masses with this crap if there are a few who weren't raised properly.

Bottom line, I think the school should be out of the sex business entirely. They are there to teach health and basic sex education at most - and sex education doesn't mean teach them how to get started.

Exactly. There are people who think instead of removing the bad apple from the barrel, just put a condom on it, and show everyone else how to "successfully" be a bad apple.

tailfins
06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Exactly. There are people who think instead of removing the bad apple from the barrel, just put a condom on it, and show everyone else how to "successfully" be a bad apple.

For boys, I think if with discretion you put it in a list of things that can get you into serious trouble, that should cover it. Condom or no, the risk of being accused of assault lurks. A touch on the thigh can buy a guy that one. Just like you don't go into a store with no money, you don't allow yourself to be alone with a girl. The same goes for drugs: Just being there can get you charged with possession or worse. If I felt it necessary, I would take my sons to court and ask to speak to some newly minited convicts about how they got busted.

The Duke LaCrosse players committed no crime, but being liability aware would have saved them a world of grief.

Likewise Kobe Bryant could have avoided being in a high risk situation.

I leave it to the teen to read what happened, thay way it's unnecessary to discuss topics they don't like.

Jeff
06-07-2014, 06:29 AM

Wow not sure where you live but the middle schools here where I live the kids are just realizing that girls aren't disgusting :laugh: Don't get me wrong there are some that are doing there thing but that isn't the norm here in the south, and the county I live in has the highest teenage birth rate in the state but it happens in HS. Seems the kids are bored and this is where the parents really go bad, As I said I have 2 younger boys but I also have 2 older ( 25 and 20 ) and although I raised all my boys the same the 20 year old at 17 years of age decided on his birthday he was moving out to live with his Gf, seems her parents where cool, they would let him drink moon shine and sleep with there daughter ( yes my son was the best thing to happen to that family but to allow him to sleep with there child :eek:) and yes in the state of GA the law is funny, the boy was no longer considered a minor ( so no they couldn't charge him with running away ) but he also wasn't considered a adult ( so they could go pick him up and make him come home ) this went on for a week or so and then the police said if it kept up it would go to family court where they would decide who he would live with, so I through out how he could go back to live with his Mom :laugh: and that didn't go over to big, well to make a long story short the local sheriff is a good guy and when I spoke with him he called the local judge and found out if my son was over to his Gf's house again the parents there could be charged with getting in the way of custody so needless to say they backed off. Well as you figured by the time he was 18 he was living there, it lasted a couple of months and now that little girl is going with a guy that works at the local tattoo shop and get this he is into something called suspension ( he hands from hooks through his body from the ceiling ) seriously he seems like a nice guy but man what a freak. So yes I agree and disagree with what you are saying , it is different in every case.

tailfins
06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Wow not sure where you live but the middle schools here where I live the kids are just realizing that girls aren't disgusting :laugh: Don't get me wrong there are some that are doing there thing but that isn't the norm here in the south, and the county I live in has the highest teenage birth rate in the state but it happens in HS. Seems the kids are bored and this is where the parents really go bad, As I said I have 2 younger boys but I also have 2 older ( 25 and 20 ) and although I raised all my boys the same the 20 year old at 17 years of age decided on his birthday he was moving out to live with his Gf, seems her parents where cool, they would let him drink moon shine and sleep with there daughter ( yes my son was the best thing to happen to that family but to allow him to sleep with there child :eek:) and yes in the state of GA the law is funny, the boy was no longer considered a minor ( so no they couldn't charge him with running away ) but he also wasn't considered a adult ( so they could go pick him up and make him come home ) this went on for a week or so and then the police said if it kept up it would go to family court where they would decide who he would live with, so I through out how he could go back to live with his Mom :laugh: and that didn't go over to big, well to make a long story short the local sheriff is a good guy and when I spoke with him he called the local judge and found out if my son was over to his Gf's house again the parents there could be charged with getting in the way of custody so needless to say they backed off. Well as you figured by the time he was 18 he was living there, it lasted a couple of months and now that little girl is going with a guy that works at the local tattoo shop and get this he is into something called suspension ( he hands from hooks through his body from the ceiling ) seriously he seems like a nice guy but man what a freak. So yes I agree and disagree with what you are saying , it is different in every case.

If my son is in that position when he gets to be 17, I would make him the following deal: If you can convince her to get her tubes tied and provide you with documentation, go live with her, but never marry her. Just for good measure, ask for an notarized affidavit from her and her parents. If you ever get sued for child support, you can show you were defrauded. When you get old enough and become interested in starting a family, then dump her. NEVER EVER be in a position where you have children not raised by both parents. Avoid the risk of that happening at all costs. Any woman that insists on "doing her own thing" is a big risk for your children having a broken home.

jimnyc
06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
If my son is in that position when he gets to be 17, I would make him the following deal: If you can convince her to get her tubes tied and provide you with documentation, go live with her, but never marry her. Just for good measure, ask for an notarized affidavit from her and her parents. If you ever get sued for child support, you can show you were defrauded. When you get old enough and become interested in starting a family, then dump her. NEVER EVER be in a position where you have children not raised by both parents. Avoid the risk of that happening at all costs. Any woman that insists on "doing her own thing" is a big risk for your children having a broken home.

Would you agree then that some women should take the same approach? Perhaps some of them should convince their man into getting a vasectomy and provide documentation? Never marry him. Get it notarized by his parents for good measure?

I hear ya in regards to personal responsibility and being cautious though.

tailfins
06-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Would you agree then that some women should take the same approach? Perhaps some of them should convince their man into getting a vasectomy and provide documentation? Never marry him. Get it notarized by his parents for good measure?

I hear ya in regards to personal responsibility and being cautious though.

There's a sucker born every minute. Don't be a sucker.