PDA

View Full Version : 70 years ago today

Little-Acorn
06-06-2014, 01:02 PM
On June 6, 1944, 156,000 American, British, and Canadian troops sailed across the English Channel from Britain and landed on the beaches of Nazi-occupied France, in the largest seaborne invasion in the history of mankind.

10,000 of them were killed or injured on that first day.

Less than a year later, the government of Nazi Germany collapsed, ending the 5-year war in Europe and western Asia.

Little-Acorn
06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Pictures of Normandy battle zones, "Then and now".

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/d-day-landing-sites-then-now-normandy-beaches-1944-70-years-later-1450286

Trigg
06-06-2014, 05:37 PM
My grandfather landed on Normandy. He never talked about it with us or his kids, too many bad memories I suppose. I do know that he told my grandmother that he would never go back, once was enough.

He earned a Purple heart, which I only saw once. My mother doesn't even know what he did to earn it. I've often wondered if there is any way to find out, but haven't looked into it.

jimnyc
06-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I've read enough and have seen enough to know that it's a place I'm glad I didn't have to visit, but am glad that so many brave people did, and what they did for us and the rest of the world. People often talk of making sacrifices. Sacrifice was coming in with one of those ships, or from a parachute, knowing what was waiting and standing tall and fighting forward, regardless of consequence, fighting as ordered and fighting for their brothers next to them and behind them. :salute:

aboutime
06-06-2014, 06:08 PM
My grandfather landed on Normandy. He never talked about it with us or his kids, too many bad memories I suppose. I do know that he told my grandmother that he would never go back, once was enough.

He earned a Purple heart, which I only saw once. My mother doesn't even know what he did to earn it. I've often wondered if there is any way to find out, but haven't looked into it.

Trigg. Yes, there is a way. If he served at all, anywhere. MILITARY.COM can lead you to the sources of records you need. Just need the name, and possibly birthdate, and Home of Record.

Everyone would really be surprised WHAT you can find on the Internet.

http://icansayit.com/images/amcemetery.jpg

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS....ASK.
Nearly 10,000 Americans died on JUNE 6th.
Most Americans living today have No Idea Where This Is.