PDA

View Full Version : I know it's not the most popular...

jimnyc
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
But I still truly believe, if you take a beautiful puppy like this, at this age - give him love and treat them right and he's like a kitten throughout life. Beat him, fight them or leave them outside forever as a guard dog, or mistreat them in other ways - sure, he may be the wrong breed to mess with then. I wish I could get one that would stay like this forever and end that debate!

http://i.imgur.com/tbYmmHt.png

Trigg
06-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Every dog has been bred or has natural tendencies that have been "improved" upon. Cattle dogs naturally want to herd, they'll even herd kids if they're the only things around. Our Australia Shepherd used to keep the kids in a small group when they were little and running around the yard, even if it meant brushing their leg to get them to move in the right direction (knocked my oldest head over heals one time, when he brushed by his leg).

Pit bulls are natural protectors like German Shepherds, nothing against the breed, but that is the kind of dog they are. With the breeding that has been done to make them more aggressive, I would be wary of having any around younger children. You just never know what the temperament of the parents might have been.

tailfins
06-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Every dog has been bred or has natural tendencies that have been "improved" upon. Cattle dogs naturally want to herd, they'll even herd kids if they're the only things around. Our Australia Shepherd used to keep the kids in a small group when they were little and running around the yard, even if it meant brushing their leg to get them to move in the right direction (knocked my oldest head over heals one time, when he brushed by his leg).

Pit bulls are natural protectors like German Shepherds, nothing against the breed, but that is the kind of dog they are. With the breeding that has been done to make them more aggressive, I would be wary of having any around younger children. You just never know what the temperament of the parents might have been.

Does the same principle work with the human animal? You know, some bred for hard labor, others bred for brainpower?

jimnyc
06-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Yeah, I know what ya mean. But my years of knowing dogs, it seems like the strength, muscle and jaw and such is what comes with them no matter what. And of course that is something to respect. But I think the nastiness and overall demeanor comes with how one raises the dog. Now, if you raise him great, and he's great with kids, then a good owner will know if he can be trusted when he gets older or not. If a dog brings aggressiveness to the table, then the owner should know enough to keep the dog away from any possible position to harm anyone, especially children.

But I'm a betting man. I honestly believe that if give ANY pit bull at the age of no later than 8 weeks, and let me raise him as my own, I'd never end up with a "killer". Every dog or cat I have ever owned have been like "class clowns", lovers, playful and fun. I think that shows because that's how they were raised. Maybe a little more retarded animals than aggressive! LOL But I admit that there is still a chance and precaution should always be taken, as at the end of the day, they are still animals. That dirty little bastard Chihuahua I have has bitten me several times! He won't bite anyone else in the world, only me. I think, that he thinks, that HE's the boss. Dumbass forgets how tiny he is. :dunno:

Kathianne
06-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I know what ya mean. But my years of knowing dogs, it seems like the strength, muscle and jaw and such is what comes with them no matter what. And of course that is something to respect. But I think the nastiness and overall demeanor comes with how one raises the dog. Now, if you raise him great, and he's great with kids, then a good owner will know if he can be trusted when he gets older or not. If a dog brings aggressiveness to the table, then the owner should know enough to keep the dog away from any possible position to harm anyone, especially children.

But I'm a betting man. I honestly believe that if give ANY pit bull at the age of no later than 8 weeks, and let me raise him as my own, I'd never end up with a "killer". Every dog or cat I have ever owned have been like "class clowns", lovers, playful and fun. I think that shows because that's how they were raised. Maybe a little more retarded animals than aggressive! LOL But I admit that there is still a chance and precaution should always be taken, as at the end of the day, they are still animals. That dirty little bastard Chihuahua I have has bitten me several times! He won't bite anyone else in the world, only me. I think, that he thinks, that HE's the boss. Dumbass forgets how tiny he is. :dunno:

I have grown to love Pit Bulls, thanks to my god daughter and her adoptions/fostering. She's adopted one and is 'fostering' another that's deaf, let's just say that one is going no where. Good as adopted.

They are beautiful and gentle. Would I have my soon to be born granddaughter around either or both? No. As someone said above, they are a breed that has a purpose that is incompatible with being around infants and small children. Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, indeed my god daughters dogs would likely fill that bill, I'm just not willing to bet my grand child's life or well being on that.

Mind you, I wouldn't let Julia Roberts around my grand daughter either, that little dachshund doesn't weight 12 pounds, but she's not compatible with small children.

Jeff
06-07-2014, 06:13 AM

I have 4 Pits . well 2 full bread and 2 not and not a one of them is nasty. now if you pull in my yard you probably wouldn't get out of the car but if ya did you would be bombarded with licks. With that said I don't believe it has anything to do with the what they are naturally because they where raised to fight and along with that they where taught never to bite the human hand ( think about it ya wouldn't want to pull them apart if they were going to attack you) the kennels I bought my Bully from had this posted on there site.

AMERICAN BULLY HISTORY
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a sod created in the early 1800's for the sport of dog fighting. It was created and designed to be the ultimate gladiator, yet, man's best friend. This breed was designed to be able to out do any other breed in it's physical strength and stamina. These dogs were created to uphold what it's called "gameness". This is the ability to keep going when all else fails. It's a mental state that made this dog the ultimate fighting machine. These dogs were also created to instinctively never to harm a human hand, even in the heat of battle. They were the ideal athletes and competitors, and the most stable and human tolerate breed in existence. Eventually the sport of dog fighting was outlawed and deemed inhumane. The breed was left with out being able to preform the task in which it was created. This left the breed with the only purpose to be man's best friend.

Another breed spawned from this breed with the purpose to be a competitor in conformation shows. This breed adopted the name, The American Staffordshire Terrier. It was created solely from the American Pit Bull Terrier, but with a new purpose. These dog eventually became larger and fuller dogs and had a more mellow temperament.

Around 1990 some breeders decided they wanted to take the breed in another direction. They bred for the athletic muscular build of the American Pit Bull, but the size and mass of the "Am. Staffs". These dogs were not bred to be as dog aggressive as the Pit, but not as passive as the Am Staff. They were bred for personality, character, energy, drive, unlimited stamina, and that confident stability. They were to have the look of a buff athlete. Through generations of breeding they developed a new look and it adopted the slang name "Bullies". This was the start of a new breed and a new era for "The American Bully". The standard for the bully is a medium height and length. They should have larger blocky shaped heads. Muzzles should be relatively short and blocky. Their chest should be wide and deep with a look of power. Shoulders should be set wide and have a muscular definition. Their rears should be thick and muscular. This breed should represent strength and power from head to tail. When you look at these dogs you should immediately know that it is an "American Bully".

The American Bully Kennel Club, or A.B.K.C. for short, is the official registry worldwide for the American Bully. The American Bully breed was created in 1990 and gained recognition and establishment in 2004, per the inception of the A.B.K.C. The American Bully breed has been selectively bred to give America’s breed a new direction and outlet. Like with the American Staffordshire Terrier, all the positive characteristics of the breed’s ancestry were kept like loyalty, stability with humans and other physical attributes; but traits of dog aggression and gameness were bred out of the breed because the breed had no future and purpose for those traits. What differentiates this breed from the American Staffordshire Terrier is the physical appearance. This breed is built with heavier bone structure and a “Bullier” build. A reinvented breed was formed with the purpose of being the ultimate companion breed, and this breed is the “American Bully.”
The A.B.K.C. was not only created for the American Bully, it was created to bring people together in unity and diversity and to allow people to come together with the common bond or enjoying their companions. The A.B.K.C. is not limited to the American Bully breed alone. The A.B.K.C. is now a multi breed registry specializing in Bully breeds. The events and shows hosted by the A.B.K.C. are to help fanciers learn to show their dogs and positively promote breeds. These events are helping to educate the public and promote the positive nature of the American Bully breed. The goal of the A.B.K.C. is to bring people together for their love of the breed and to help break down negative stereotype of both the breed and people. Please support the registry created for you and the breed, the A.B.K.C. The only official registry for the American Bully breed worldwide. http://elusivebullies.webs.com/AtomicDoggMagbanner-new-1.jpg
http://elusivebullies.webs.com/american_bully.jpg