PDA

View Full Version : Teacher tenure law found unconstitutional (California)

Little-Acorn
06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Interesting.

Tenure is, of course, the main means that bad teachers use to keep doing a poor job without consequence.

And now it's minorities who are pointing out that this is rough on students?

I guess they were able to prove that it happens even more in minority-dominated schools, than in mixed schools.

Good for them!

--------------------------------------

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jun/10/california-judge-could-change-teacher-job-security/

California teacher tenure law unconstitutional

By LINDA DEUTSCH AP Special Correspondent2:45 a.m.June 10, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tenure and other job protections for California's public school teachers were ruled unconstitutional Tuesday by a judge presiding in a lawsuit brought by nine students.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Rolf Treu cited the historic case of Brown v. Board of Education in ruling that all students are entitled to equal education and said the current situation discriminates against minority and low-income students in placing ineffective teachers in their schools.

"Plaintiffs claim that the challenged statutes result in grossly ineffective teachers obtaining and retaining permanent employment, and that these teachers are disproportionately situated in schools serving predominantly low-income and minority students," the decision said.

The judge said the plaintiffs' equal-protection claims validly stated that the statutes violated their fundamental rights to equality of education.

"This court finds that plaintiffs have met their burden of proof on all issues presented," he wrote. At another point in the decision, he wrote that "there is also no dispute that there are a significant number of grossly ineffective teachers currently active in California classrooms."

The ruling could have national implications because other states tackling the issue are also paying close attention to how the ruling plays out in the nation's most populous state.

"It's powerful," said Theodore Boutrous Jr., the plaintiffs' attorney who presented the case in court. "It's a landmark decision that can change the face of education in California and nationally."

Courts around the country will look at their own statutes to see how they can be changed, he said. "This is going to be a huge template for what's wrong with education. It will impact the national education referendum going on right now," Boutrous said.

aboutime
06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
This isn't gonna make the NEA Teachers Union happy.

Now...the teachers who aren't qualified to be teachers...won't be around to pay DUES.

How long before the UNIONS appeal the rulings?

MONEY TALKS...we'll all see HOW MUCH.

Little-Acorn
06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
How long before the UNIONS appeal the rulings?

I'd be very surprised if they haven't already.

(BTW, I removed the boldfacing in your post, so you wouldn't keep looking like a bombastic harpy.)

aboutime
06-10-2014, 03:33 PM
I'd be very surprised if they haven't already.

(BTW, I removed the boldfacing in your post, so you wouldn't keep looking like a bombastic harpy.)

So, :laugh: instead. You (tongue-in-cheek) called me a bombastic harpy anyway?:laugh:

jimnyc
06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
At the very least, they need to make it easier to get rid of tenured teachers who are shitheads. But I'm all for tossing it in its entirety.

jimnyc
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
So, :laugh: instead. You (tongue-in-cheek) called me a bombastic harpy anyway?:laugh:

Sup, Harpy! :coffee:

What's a harpy?

aboutime
06-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Sup, Harpy! :coffee:

What's a harpy?

Sounds like a Drunk "happy" (harpy) guy to me.(LIKE FOSTER BROOKS) But I don't drink.

Yeah Nope
06-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Meh, it's kommiefornia, I'm sure that the unions will find some way to weasle around this ruling.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing that most of the tenured teachers are white? If so, perhaps throwing out tenure is a back-door way to create more job openings for minority teachers.