namvet
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
The 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's Didn't Kill You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4oxEcTMy5s

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-14-2014, 05:19 PM
The 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's Didn't Kill You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4oxEcTMy5s
I made it my friend and there are scores of SOB'S that dearly hate that I did. Because they each got a damn finely tuned attitude adjustment from me!
Most of them were liberal/dem cowardly type bastards too. :laugh:-Tyr

Jeff
06-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Excellent !!! I love it, yes we didn't need anyone to wipe our butts we learned to adapt and to do for ourselves. It was a much different time that I am glad to say I was raised in !!

aboutime
06-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Excellent !!! I love it, yes we didn't need anyone to wipe our butts we learned to adapt and to do for ourselves. It was a much different time that I am glad to say I was raised in !!

Jeff. All of this took me back, and reminded me of the early 50's, when I began sneaking cigarettes out of the house to smoke with neighbor friends. Not to mention how we all dared each other to stand underneath the trestle bridge...railroad tracks, and stick our heads up between the railroad ties...to stick our tongue out at the train engineers.

Oh, and I almost forgot our Summer days of playing Tom Sawyer on the river. We tied broken telephone poles together, used wooden pallet planks across them, and a bamboo pole to push ourselves out into the river. Until, all of us got our pictures on the FRONT PAGE of the newspaper because the fire department had to come get us..WE WERE TRAPPED at the top of the dam during Low water. LIFE WAS FUN THEN.

Jeff
06-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Jeff. All of this took me back, and reminded me of the early 50's, when I began sneaking cigarettes out of the house to smoke with neighbor friends. Not to mention how we all dared each other to stand underneath the trestle bridge...railroad tracks, and stick our heads up between the railroad ties...to stick our tongue out at the train engineers.

Oh, and I almost forgot our Summer days of playing Tom Sawyer on the river. We tied broken telephone poles together, used wooden pallet planks across them, and a bamboo pole to push ourselves out into the river. Until, all of us got our pictures on the FRONT PAGE of the newspaper because the fire department had to come get us..WE WERE TRAPPED at the top of the dam during Low water. LIFE WAS FUN THEN.

AT I came up in the late 60's and 70's and everything you described brought me right back to being a kid again, our biggest worry was being home and ready to eat at 5:30 ( my Dad wanted to eat then ) if we were late no dinner that night, and of course the dreaded street lights :laugh: as a youngster we knew dam well we had better be in before the street lights hit full brightness, once we saw them start to come on all the kids in the neighborhood headed to the house :laugh:

No Doubt life was fun, those where the days I wish my kids had now.

aboutime
06-14-2014, 08:48 PM
AT I came up in the late 60's and 70's and everything you described brought me right back to being a kid again, our biggest worry was being home and ready to eat at 5:30 ( my Dad wanted to eat then ) if we were late no dinner that night, and of course the dreaded street lights :laugh: as a youngster we knew dam well we had better be in before the street lights hit full brightness, once we saw them start to come on all the kids in the neighborhood headed to the house :laugh:

No Doubt life was fun, those where the days I wish my kids had now.

Yep. They were great times. In fact. I remember (living in a 3 story apartment house), how we always left the front door unlocked. My dad left the windows down on his car, and I even left my bike next to the front steps overnight. And never had it stolen.
Great thing was. I didn't know we were really poor. No air conditioning, just one window fan on the first floor, and all the windows open all the time in the Summer.
I remember having our electricity turned-off before my dad's payday. And even the water.
Anyone ever had Potato Soup...six nights in a row?
A half gallon of milk had to last a week.
And jokingly now. I remember how THIN my sneakers were. So thin. I could step on a Dime, and tell whether it was HEADS or TAILS.:laugh::laugh:

SassyLady
06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
When my grandkids come to visit they are amazed that they have two acres to "explore". They create endless adventures on just this piece of land because they live in Tucson and have no yard to play in. They are basically house bound or swimming.

I tell them about when I was a little kid and we had no boundaries for exploring. We would run all over the neighborhood way after dark and their little eyes just bug out ..... "after dark???" I tell them that our parents would run us out of the house first thing in the morning and tell us to NOT come home until dinner.

I wish my kids and grandchildren didn't have to fear everything.

Nukeman
06-16-2014, 09:18 AM
When my grandkids come to visit they are amazed that they have two acres to "explore". They create endless adventures on just this piece of land because they live in Tucson and have no yard to play in. They are basically house bound or swimming.

I tell them about when I was a little kid and we had no boundaries for exploring. We would run all over the neighborhood way after dark and their little eyes just bug out ..... "after dark???" I tell them that our parents would run us out of the house first thing in the morning and tell us to NOT come home until dinner.

I wish my kids and grandchildren didn't have to fear everything.This is why I love where I live. We still do this with our kids. My youngest who will be 12 next month takes off to his buddies and doesn't come in before 8-ish and just has a great time. All of our kids have explored the neighborhood and ride bikes everywhere. We have 2 acres and so do all our neighbors, plus a woods behind and across the road. They go "exploring" all the time. With the lakes around us they also head down to fish whenever they want (well the older 2 don't any more due to licenses).

It is truly a shame that people fear letting their kids out of their sight. Most still live in perfectly normal places where their kids can still be kids. Heck go to a "bad" neighborhood and you see little kids running all over the place without a care so why should someone in a "good" area be afraid of something happening to their child!?!?!?!?!?

We fear for our children and stifle their growth based on our own miss-perceptions of the world!!!!

aboutime
06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

I wish my kids and grandchildren didn't have to fear everything.

SassyLady. Actually, when you think about it. Our kids and grandchildren aren't the ones who FEAR everything. Our society has deteriorated so much over the years (and our votes allowed it), that WE are the ones who FEAR everything. Making all of us so Overly protective, and defensive about almost every conceivable aspect of life.
We get warned NOT to do everything. Not to drink, eat, watch, read, speak, work, and LIVE almost 24/7.
I know it sounds harsh. But REALITY has become so HARSH. What else can we do? Honestly?