PDA

View Full Version : Into the Storm

namvet
06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Vkp77tVTM

Yeah Nope
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I does look good, I just hope it doesn't end up being a Global Climate Warming Change™ propaganda film.

SassyLady
07-02-2014, 11:40 PM
:panicsmiley:

Have to see this one ... had my heart rate up immediately!!!

jimnyc
07-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Great, yet another movie I want to see that I have to wait months for!

SassyLady
07-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I lived in the panhandle of Texas when I was a little kid .... on grandparent's farm. I remember a tornado coming through and we all went to the cellar. It really does sound like a freight train. We lost a couple head of cattle and the back porch was ripped off and dumped in a field a few yards away. All the windows in the house were blown out and it was a total mess.

THAT IS WHY I DON'T LIVE IN TORNADO ALLEY!!! I got real smart as a youngin'

Little-Acorn
07-03-2014, 05:16 PM
When does the woman on the bicycle, change into a witch?

SassyLady
07-03-2014, 05:26 PM
When does the woman on the bicycle, change into a witch?

If you are talking about me ... it's usually when I'm out of chocolate.

SassyLady
07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
I also remember that my mom had a picture from an old newspaper that showed a piece of straw imbedded in a utility pole. That means the tornado has to change the molecular structure of an item to make that happen. Correct?

hjmick
07-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry, that just looks ridiculous...

SassyLady
07-04-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry, that just looks ridiculous...

Yeah, that's what I thought about Godzilla, The Transformers, Pacific Rim and various other special effects movies but it still gets the heart pumping ... especially if you've ever been in a tornado and imagined this exact thing happening.

Also, recently there were two tornadoes that did touch down at the same time so it's not totally inconceivable there would be multiples.

Reminds me of the movie CUJO ... it was over the top but I could certainly imagine a large dog going berserk, whereas I have a hard time imagining Godzillas, Transformers, etc.

namvet
07-05-2014, 08:22 AM
im in the midwest so ive had to run from a few. its the flying debris that kills. twisters can throw a 2X4 up to 200mph. Ill aways remember the one that flattened Ruskin Heights here in KC back in 57. we spent that night in the neighbors basement. that was an F5 monster. i still remember seeing knives and forks stuck in the trees.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/eax/1957May20_RuskinHeights/RUSKIN_TORNADO_JANICKE_KCSTAR.JPG

40 or 50 died. of course we didn't have the warning time we do today

link (http://fox4kc.com/2012/05/18/55-years-later-memories-of-ruskin-heights-tornado-still-haunt-survivors/)

SassyLady
07-06-2014, 02:03 AM
I think the one and only that I can remember was in 1955 .. we had a lot of tornadoes in the Panhandle that year. I remember going into the cellar more than once, but only the one time did it hit our house.

Also, we lived on a farm and there wasn't that much debris to fly around like in a city, but plenty of dirt to make the thing look even bigger.

namvet
07-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I think the one and only that I can remember was in 1955 .. we had a lot of tornadoes in the Panhandle that year. I remember going into the cellar more than once, but only the one time did it hit our house.

Also, we lived on a farm and there wasn't that much debris to fly around like in a city, but plenty of dirt to make the thing look even bigger.

safe rooms are offered now. they can be added to an existing structure. slab homes are the most at risk. I think in OK its a state law they be added to new home construction

http://www.nachi.org/images09/Safe.jpg

Drummond
07-06-2014, 10:50 AM
This is one of those things that UK people will have virtually no experience of. I can only imagine what it must be like to live under the threat of such storms.

Still, that's not to say that violent weather is unknown here. We've had the occasional one ... the most memorable was in 1987. A force of wind just managing to qualify for hurricane status that swept across most of the UK. Michael Fish, a BBC weather forecaster, responded the previous evening to a viewer who'd asked if a hurricane was likely ... he totally dismissed the likelihood, & rather patronisingly ... then hours later, he was proved as wrong as he possibly could've been. That broadcast goes down as an 'infamous' one in BBC broadcasting history ...

I remember it well. A garden brick wall demolished .. that would've killed anyone walking by it at the time. In central London, every single tree uprooted and felled in Lincolns Inn Fields .. trees that had grown there for 100 years or more. Looked like a bomb had hit it (and it took weeks to clear the wreckage). All flights cancelled throughout the UK during its duration. Most of the UK railway system immobilised by trees blocking lines. Transport across London nearly impossible (except by Tube train, or just for a mile or so above ground) for almost 24 hours later.

We Brits don't cope well with natural disasters, unfortunately. More than a few inches of snow paralyses railway services ... floods early on this year swept away a mainline link between Cornwall and the rest of England .. it took over a month to re-establish it.

I wish Americans all the luck in the world in surviving your storms. As I say, I can barely imagine them ... and count myself lucky this is so.