PDA

View Full Version : US military is racist

jimnyc
06-29-2014, 10:27 AM
That's what even more whiners will tell you about the naming of the helicopters.

---

Veterans aren’t happy with a recent op-ed by the Washington Post, which charged that the Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa military vehicles were a “greater symbolic injustice” than the NFL’s Washington Redskins’ name.

“Even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government,” Simon Waxman of the Boston Review wrote for the Post on Thursday.

He added that the helicopter names were “propaganda” that needed to end, because Native American life expectancy statistics indicate the “violence is ongoing, even if the guns are silent.”

Readers at the popular military news gathering website Doctrine Man reacted Friday.

“I suspect that the author is less unhappy that our choppers have Indian names, and more unhappy that there is a U.S. military,” wrote Alex Kuhns.

Kevin Schooler wrote: “What floors me is that for the most part, it isn’t American Indians who are offended. It is guilt-ridden white liberals being offended on their behalf. How’s that for paternalism?”

Even the website’s moderator weighed in, saying that the names the military chooses for weapons platforms “are anything but derogatory, they convey strength, honor, and courage. @SimonWaxman is grossly uninformed.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/army-vets-blast-pc-police-for-attacking-apache-chi/

soupnazi630
06-29-2014, 01:24 PM
That's what even more whiners will tell you about the naming of the helicopters.

---

Veterans aren’t happy with a recent op-ed by the Washington Post, which charged that the Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, Cheyenne and Kiowa military vehicles were a “greater symbolic injustice” than the NFL’s Washington Redskins’ name.

“Even if the NFL and Redskins brass come to their senses and rename the team, a greater symbolic injustice would continue to afflict Indians — an injustice perpetuated not by a football club but by our federal government,” Simon Waxman of the Boston Review wrote for the Post on Thursday.

He added that the helicopter names were “propaganda” that needed to end, because Native American life expectancy statistics indicate the “violence is ongoing, even if the guns are silent.”

Readers at the popular military news gathering website Doctrine Man reacted Friday.

“I suspect that the author is less unhappy that our choppers have Indian names, and more unhappy that there is a U.S. military,” wrote Alex Kuhns.

Kevin Schooler wrote: “What floors me is that for the most part, it isn’t American Indians who are offended. It is guilt-ridden white liberals being offended on their behalf. How’s that for paternalism?”

Even the website’s moderator weighed in, saying that the names the military chooses for weapons platforms “are anything but derogatory, they convey strength, honor, and courage. @SimonWaxman is grossly uninformed.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/27/army-vets-blast-pc-police-for-attacking-apache-chi/

The op-ed also ignores another fact about these names.

The US Army is probably the only Army in history to honor former enemies with such names.

At one time or another in the history of the US the US Army fought the tribes which these helicopters are named after. Ultimately the native tribes lost but they did not go to their defeat queitly. The Army usually did not have very much fun fighting those warriors and more than one battle was lost to them.

Somehow I cannot see a british helicopter named a zulu or continental in honor of former enemies. Or a Russian helicopter called the Hun or the Wehrmacht

Trigg
06-30-2014, 09:07 AM
People can find insult in any situation.

With laws against any type of discrimination in employment and housing, race hustlers have nothing else to do but find offense in names and pictures.

darin
06-30-2014, 12:18 PM
We'd better change the name of our states and cities, too!

Alabama - is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. This tribal name may have come from the word albina, which means "campsite" in their own language, or from the words alba amo, which mean "clearing brush."
Alaska - Alaxsxix, which is a name from the Aleut language. This name means "place the sea crashes against."
Arizona - Arizonac, which is a Spanish corruption of a local Indian name-- possibly the Tohono O'odham word alishonag, which means "little spring."
Arkansas Acansa, which is the name of a Quapaw Indian town. Literally the name means "southern place."
Connecticut Quinnitukqut, which is the Mohegan Indian name for the Connecticut River. Literally the name means "long river."
Illinois Illiniwek, which is the tribal name of the Illini tribe. Literally the name means "best people."
Iowa Ayuhwa, which is one of the tribal names of the Ioway Indian tribe. Literally the name means "sleepy ones."
Kansas Kansa, which is the name of the Kansa Indian tribe. Literally the name means "south" and is a shortened form of their own tribal name for themselves, People of the South Wind.
Kentucky Kentake, which is an Iroquois placename meaning "meadow land."
Massachusetts Massachuset, which is a Wampanoag Indian name meaning "by the range of hills."
Michigan Mshigem or Misigami, which are the native names for Lake Michigan in the Potawatomi and Ojibwe languages. Both names mean "great lake. (http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm)"
Minnesota Mnisota, which is the native name of the Minnesota River in the Dakota Sioux language. Literally the name means "cloudy water."
Mississippi Misiziibi, which is the native name of the Mississippi River in the Ojibwe language. Ojibwe is not actually a native language of Mississippi state-- the language is spoken near the source of the Mississippi River in Minnesota, which is where the river got its name, and the state was later named after the river. Literally the name means "great river."
Missouri Missouria is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. Their tribal name came from the word mihsoori, which means "big canoe people."
Nebraska Nibthaska or Nibrathka, which are the native names for the Platte River in the Omaha-Ponca and Otoe languages. Both names mean "flat river."
New Mexico Of course, New Mexico was named after the country of Mexico, but since Mexico itself is named after an American Indian word, the state of New Mexico is also! Mexico is a placename from the Aztec Indian language (Nahuatl.) It literally means "city of the Aztecs."
North Dakota Dakota, which is the tribal name of the Dakota Sioux Indians. Literally the name means "the allies."
Ohio Ohiyo, which is the name of the Ohio River in the Seneca Indian language. Literally the name means "it is beautiful."
Oklahoma Okla Homma, which means "Red People" in the Choctaw Indian language.
Oregon This was a name given by early American settlers to the Columbia River. It was probably a Native American name which the settlers brought with them from another state, since it does not resemble names from the Native American languages of Oregon. It may have meant "beautiful river" in an eastern Algonquian language.
South Dakota Dakota, which is the tribal name of the Dakota Sioux Indians. Literally the name means "the allies."
Tennessee Tanasi, which was the name of a Cherokee Indian town in the region. Although "Tanasi" was recorded as the Cherokee name of this town, (http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm) it does not specifically mean anything in the Cherokee language (just as many English place names are not specific words.) (http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm) It may have been a shortened form of a longer Cherokee word or phrase, or it may have been named after a Cherokee person.
Texas Taysha, which means "friend" in the Caddo Indian language.
Utah Ute is the name of an Indian tribe native to the state. This tribal name may have come from the word nuutsiu, which means "the people" in their own language.
Wisconsin Wishkonsing, which is the Ojibwe name for the Wisconsin River. However, this word does not have a specific meaning in the Ojibwe language, and none of the Ojibwe Indians in our organization knows any oral traditions about where the name came from.
Wyoming Chwewamink, which means "by the big river flat" in the Lenape Indian tribe. The Lenape Indians never actually lived in Wyoming-- (http://www.native-languages.org/state-names.htm) it was originally the name of a town in Pennsylvania, and white settlers from that area brought the name with them when they moved west.

Abbey Marie
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Thank God I don't live in one of those racist States. :rolleyes:

SassyLady
07-02-2014, 11:34 PM
It's too bad that people do not understand the connection between the capabilities of the copters and why they are given the names.

Native Americans, for centuries, were the bad asses of America. To me, using their names in this manor is an honor.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-03-2014, 07:43 AM
It's too bad that people do not understand the connection between the capabilities of the copters and why they are given the names.

Native Americans, for centuries, were the bad asses of America. To me, using their names in this manor is an honor.

Dead on target.. It is a sign or respect but its being attacked by liberals, asshats and other such fools because they hate our military and look for any excuse to criticize it.
My grandfather was full blood Native American and he would have loved the respect being shown by giving such names to such fearsome fighting machines!!!
Liberals, PC crowd and today's idiots haven't got a damn clue--media leads the way on all of that..
I spit on them all!!!!! And would do so face to face with any of them..
FFING COWARDS THE ENTIRE LOT OF THEM.. --Tyr

darin
07-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Couple things - it's only white people doing this crap; it's why I hate them.

AH65 Apache
CH47 Chinook
UH60 Blackhawk
OH58 Kiowa

A = Attack (Helicopter)
C = Cargo (Helicopter)
U = Utility (Helicopter)
O = Observation (Helicopter)

:)

Oh! For the record - All Army helos since I can remember used Native names. It's a name of honor.

*For the record, US Military NEVER had a helicopter called "Huey". The "Huey" is the UH1 Iroquois. Before it was the UH1, it was the HU1 - Looks a little like HUI - Hyoo-ee...also - was made by Hughes Helicoptors. But when you see folk on TV call it a huey? They are trying to sound cool. The REAL aviation experts (the Air Defenders) - we know the deal.

:D

jimnyc
07-03-2014, 09:42 AM

Couple things - it's only white people doing this crap; it's why I hate them.

AH65 Apache
CH47 Chinook
UH60 Blackhawk
OH58 Kiowa

A = Attack (Helicopter)
C = Cargo (Helicopter)
U = Utility (Helicopter)
O = Observation (Helicopter)

:)

Oh! For the record - All Army helos since I can remember used Native names. It's a name of honor.

*For the record, US Military NEVER had a helicopter called "Huey". The "Huey" is the UH1 Iroquois. Before it was the UH1, it was the HU1 - Looks a little like HUI - Hyoo-ee...also - was made by Hughes Helicoptors. But when you see folk on TV call it a huey? They are trying to sound cool. The REAL aviation experts (the Air Defenders) - we know the deal.

:D

This is similar to why the Redskins named the team what they did, and how they are always honoring native Americans at their stadium. It was always seen as a sign of honor and respect.

Perianne
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
People who look for racism will find it. Always.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-03-2014, 10:32 PM
People who look for racism will find it. Always.
They find it by making it up....
What gets me most of it comes from white American dems/liberals/leftists that are just looking to stir more division.
Always they play the --Divide and Conquer game--!!!
The lousy bamtraitor is a master at it!!--Tyr

Perianne
07-04-2014, 06:01 PM
They find it by making it up....
What gets me most of it comes from white American dems/liberals/leftists that are just looking to stir more division.
Always they play the --Divide and Conquer game--!!!
The lousy bamtraitor is a master at it!!--Tyr

I don't understand why they want to ruin this great nation.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't understand why they want to ruin this great nation.

They were taught to hate it by very jealous vermin much lie themselves and they in turn start teaching others to hate it. Simply because they are miserable useless people that have their pointy heads up their asses most of their useless lives. There is not a damn liberal alive that is worth the cost of the gunpowder it would take to snuff out his/her stinking life IMHO.. --Tyr