PDA

View Full Version : Justices: Can't make employers cover contraception

jimnyc
06-30-2014, 10:04 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that some corporations can hold religious objections that allow them to opt out of the new health law requirement that they cover contraceptives for women.

The justices' 5-4 decision is the first time that the high court has ruled that profit-seeking businesses can hold religious views under federal law. And it means the Obama administration must search for a different way of providing free contraception to women who are covered under objecting companies' health insurance plans.

Contraception is among a range of preventive services that must be provided at no extra charge under the health care law that President Barack Obama signed in 2010 and the Supreme Court upheld two years later.

Two years ago, Chief Justice John Roberts cast the pivotal vote that saved the health care law in the midst of Obama's campaign for re-election. On Monday, dealing with a small sliver of the law, Roberts sided with the four justices who would have struck down the law in its entirety.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion. The court's four liberal justices dissented.

The court stressed that its ruling applies only to corporations, like the Hobby Lobby chain of arts-and-craft stores, that are under the control of just a few people in which there is no essential difference between the business and its owners.

Alito also said the decision is limited to contraceptives under the health care law. "Our decision should not be understood to hold that an insurance-coverage mandate must necessarily fall if it conflicts with an employer's religious beliefs," Alito said.

http://news.yahoo.com/justices-cant-employers-cover-contraception-141923713--finance.html

Gaffer
06-30-2014, 10:16 AM
This came down pretty much as I expected. It's good news. It should never have been necessary however. If Roberts had stuck down the original law as he should have two years ago this hearing would not have been necessary and the country would be much better off financially. He was busy playing politics instead of following the Constitution. I'd personally like to take him out behind the shed and wear his ass out with a leather belt.

While the president and congress are responsible for bamacare, you can lay all the problems we have today directly at the feet of Roberts.

fj1200
06-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Probably too narrow to be of any real use.

red state
06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeah, just got the news......GREAT NEWS, indeed. Of course, the liberals won't like it one bit cuz it places a wrench in their TOTAL CONTROL machine. Gaffer.....all the liberal dogs and Roberts should be taken out and treated as they deserve to be treated.....like DOGS.

They did say, however, that this is not a blanket ruling for other cases......so, they tried to cover their @$$ on that but while doing so, they just ruled out their "over-riding" of the American voter when they have ruled in favor of homosexuals......also good news since they have trumped their own rulings on most EVERYTHING in my opinion. That bakery out west will / SHOULD certainly use this to null & void their situation.

Thanks for this update, Jim, my wife had just told me about it as I (literally) clicked on this topic heading. Perhaps there is hope for America yet....if we can get rid of the rabid, lying dogs of the left.

fj1200
06-30-2014, 11:19 AM
They did say, however, that this is not a blanket ruling for other cases......so, they tried to cover their @$$ on that but while doing so, they just ruled out their "over-riding" of the American voter when they have ruled in favor of homosexuals......also good news since they have trumped their own rulings on most EVERYTHING in my opinion. That bakery out west will / SHOULD certainly use this to null & void their situation.

What?

darin
06-30-2014, 11:28 AM
There's no hope, Red State.

None.

The fact this case had to go to the Supreme Court shows the problems with society - the fact MILLIONS think Women's birth control options are a RIGHT (and men's, however, is NOT a right) points to a well-developed societal cancer.

Little-Acorn
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/10513339_10154305862895084_4799933597796108203_n.j pg