PDA

View Full Version : Three rounds with my daughter

darin
07-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Three sizes of rounds, that is. :)

I set up a car door in the back yard - Me, a friend, and my daughter and son ran through .45 ACP, 5.56, and 9mm.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6177&d=1404605816

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6176&d=1404605768

Drummond
07-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I envy you your freedoms !!

Were that to happen in my part of the world ... if this had been an accurate representation of something occurring in the UK, by British citizens .. I'd be very surprised if our authorities wouldn't have got actively involved, with a view to administering some sort of 'corrective punishment' !

They'd want to check on legal ownership of the weapon being brandished (.. and I don't think that type of firearm WOULD be legally ownable for the vast majority of private citizens). And they'd very definitely object to someone as young as your daughter clearly is, having the smallest freedom to handle, much less fire, such a weapon. Chances are that you'd be looking at possible jail time for allowing it as a parent (I kid you not).

Don't misunderstand me .. I am NOT offering any personal criticism myself. Far from it ! I'm lamenting over the thoroughly screwed-up 'standards' our authorities in the UK drill into us, from social standards THEY decree are 'right' and 'proper'.

That's where decades of domination by Left-wing thinking gets you.

There are Lefties who'd probably be highly critical of even seeing more than a small percentage of our police being allowed near weapons like that ....

aboutime
07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I envy you your freedoms !!

Were that to happen in my part of the world ... if this had been an accurate representation of something occurring in the UK, by British citizens .. I'd be very surprised if our authorities wouldn't have got actively involved, with a view to administering some sort of 'corrective punishment' !

They'd want to check on legal ownership of the weapon being brandished (.. and I don't think that type of firearm WOULD be legally ownable for the vast majority of private citizens). And they'd very definitely object to someone as young as your daughter clearly is, having the smallest freedom to handle, much less fire, such a weapon. Chances are that you'd be looking at possible jail time for allowing it as a parent (I kid you not).

Don't misunderstand me .. I am NOT offering any personal criticism myself. Far from it ! I'm lamenting over the thoroughly screwed-up 'standards' our authorities in the UK drill into us, from social standards THEY decree are 'right' and 'proper'.

That's where decades of domination by Left-wing thinking gets you.

There are Lefties who'd probably be highly critical of even seeing more than a small percentage of our police being allowed near weapons like that ....

Sir Drummond. I suspect. Most of us who enjoy having our 2nd amendment here in the colonies feel sorry for you chaps who must live behind, and under the thumb of government that still hasn't figured any way to prevent the Criminal element from Ignoring your stupid, backward laws that prevent common people, and Bobbies from defending yourself.
Those screwed-up standards you mentioned are exactly what Obama, and Democrats in Our Congress desire, and hope to enshrine as the European versions of Tolerance, and Transparency...where only the BAD people, and Government have guns.
LEFT WING THINKING, on either side of the Atlantic can, and will perpetuate STUPIDITY.

Drummond
07-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Sir Drummond. I suspect. Most of us who enjoy having our 2nd amendment here in the colonies feel sorry for you chaps who must live behind, and under the thumb of government that still hasn't figured any way to prevent the Criminal element from Ignoring your stupid, backward laws that prevent common people, and Bobbies from defending yourself.
Those screwed-up standards you mentioned are exactly what Obama, and Democrats in Our Congress desire, and hope to enshrine as the European versions of Tolerance, and Transparency...where only the BAD people, and Government have guns.
LEFT WING THINKING, on either side of the Atlantic can, and will perpetuate STUPIDITY.

You're making a lot of my case for me, Aboutime.

Several decades of Left-wing thinking has ensured that this is one of the biggest single differences between our nations. Here, people will generally balk at gun ownership, because Left-wing indoctrination has made it so (.. it isn't quite 'British' to desire to). We leave our self-defence in the hands of the authorities. Indeed, a major and long-running debate on this side of the Pond has long been about what is and is not reasonable force to use against burglars ... burglars have 'human rights', you see !! Someone deemed to be going 'too far' in self defence could be subsequently sued by the burglar !

I regard that as outright insane. I think that a lot of my countrymen might agree, though fewer would be willing to openly agree.

But here's the thing. You see, over here, it's all about our authorities maintaining control in THEIR hands. What they don't want is a degree of self-empowerment felt by the ordinary citizen, which the ordinary citizen WOULD feel he had, if given the sort of rights to gun ownership and usage which YOU see as an inalienable right.

What's more ... from a UK perspective, it's considered much the MORE civilised option to want to NOT be armed - they'd never in a million years think that your attitudes were the superior ones. So .... we continue to live in circumstances where criminals, if they try hard enough, get the guns they want -- and by and large, law-abiding citizens DO NOT.

It's only in acknowledgment of the fact that UK society has grown more violent that any police are armed these days. Those that are, are members of special units which equip them to be. A majority of police still do their jobs UNarmed.

You might want to debate with Tyr about this some time. He has a certain somewhat limited experience of at least one British discussion site .. and though he found some degree of Conservative thinking within it, when he discussed gun ownership, he hit a brick wall when it came to acceptance of that idea. People, here, think of it as 'going too far' to want any wide acceptance of gun ownership.

Even good decent Conservatives (- and without realising it's true -) are themselves susceptible to long-term Left-wing indoctrination.

Does Obama want the same for America ? If I had to take any bets on ANY subject, it would be that he DOES. I'm 100 percent sure that he dreams of turning America into a power-starved clone of Britain. ANY INROAD he can make on the stringency of your gun laws will be part of his effort to bring that about.

darin
07-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Drummond - fly over; visit! I'll set up every gun owner i can find to bring their stuff out for you to enjoy! :-)

now, that mac10 isnt full auto; its regulated as a handgun. No special permitting or anything. Frankly, the 1911 style .45 was much more effective

Drummond
07-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Drummond - fly over; visit! I'll set up every gun owner i can find to bring their stuff out for you to enjoy! :-)

now, that mac10 isnt full auto; its regulated as a handgun. No special permitting or anything. Frankly, the 1911 style .45 was much more effective

Well, it's a thought ! Thanks for the suggestion !

I can think of one Leftie 'friend' who'd immediately cease to be one if I took up any such offer .. that's his problem ... :laugh::laugh:

SassyLady
07-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Maybe your leftie friend would realize that you didn't turn into a murderous demon just because you fired a gun. Maybe the lefties over there need to be exposed to more of the sane side of gun ownership.

Drummond
07-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Maybe your leftie friend would realize that you didn't turn into a murderous demon just because you fired a gun. Maybe the lefties over there need to be exposed to more of the sane side of gun ownership.

Thanks for the thought, Sassy. Though I doubt any of this would make the slightest difference. I'm sure in my own mind that our Left-wingers here are motivated by a desire to disempower people, since, after all, this is the effect they've HAD, and it's one they are evidently perfectly happy about.

To them, an all-consuming reliance on centralised authority is the name of the game. Private gun ownership defies that. I'm sure it's for just that reason - despite any other rationalities he'd come up with - that Obama is doing his best to introduce greater gun controls. He wants to see to it that it becomes a part of American thinking to see such ownership as an ever-less desirable feature of American society.