PDA

View Full Version : China thinks it can defeat America in battle

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-07-2014, 10:57 PM
China thinks it can defeat America in battle

http://theweek.com/article/index/264032/china-thinks-it-can-defeat-america-in-battle

The bad news first. The People's Republic of China now believes it can successfully prevent the United States from intervening in the event of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan or some other military assault by Beijing.

Now the good news. China is wrong — and for one major reason. It apparently disregards the decisive power of America's nuclear-powered submarines.

Moreover, for economic and demographic reasons Beijing has a narrow historical window in which to use its military to alter the world's power structure. If China doesn't make a major military move in the next couple decades, it probably never will.

The U.S. Navy's submarines — the unsung main defenders of the current world order — must hold the line against China for another 20 years. After that, America can declare a sort of quiet victory in the increasingly chilly Cold War with China.

How China wins

The bad news came from Lee Fuell, from the U.S. Air Force's National Air and Space Intelligence Center, during Fuell's testimony before the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 30.

For years, Chinese military planning assumed that any attack by the People's Liberation Army on Taiwan or a disputed island would have to begin with a Pearl Harbor-style preemptive missile strike by China against U.S. forces in Japan and Guam. The PLA was so afraid of overwhelming American intervention that it genuinely believed it could not win unless the Americans were removed from the battlefield before the main campaign even began.

A preemptive strike was, needless to say, a highly risky proposition. If it worked, the PLA just might secure enough space and time to defeat defending troops, seize territory, and position itself for a favorable post-war settlement.

But if China failed to disable American forces with a surprise attack, Beijing could find itself fighting a full-scale war on at least two fronts: against the country it was invading plus the full might of U.S. Pacific Command, fully mobilized and probably strongly backed by the rest of the world.

That was then. But after two decades of sustained military modernization, the Chinese military has fundamentally changed its strategy in just the last year or so. According to Fuell, recent writings by PLA officers indicate "a growing confidence within the PLA that they can more-readily withstand U.S. involvement."

The preemptive strike is off the table — and with it, the risk of a full-scale American counterattack. Instead, Beijing believes it can attack Taiwan or another neighbor while also bloodlessly deterring U.S. intervention. It would do so by deploying such overwhelmingly strong military forces — ballistic missiles, aircraft carriers, jet fighters, and the like — that Washington dare not get involved.

The knock-on effects of deterring America could be world-changing. "Backing away from our commitments to protect Taiwan, Japan, or the Philippines would be tantamount to ceding East Asia to China's domination," Roger Cliff, a fellow at the Atlantic Council, said at the same U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission hearing on Jan. 30.

Worse, the world's liberal economic order — and indeed, the whole notion of democracy — could suffer irreparable harm. "The United States has both a moral and a material interest in a world in which democratic nations can survive and thrive," Cliff asserted.

Fortunately for that liberal order, America possesses by far the world's most powerful submarine force — one poised to quickly sink any Chinese invasion fleet. In announcing its readiness to hold off the U.S. military, the PLA seems to have ignored Washington's huge undersea advantage.

Such overconfidence would work well for us winning but bears a great danger in the fact it could lead the idiots to launch a preemptive strike at some future date.
As I've noted often before sooner or later China will push us into fighting or backing down, very likely while we have the present coward scum in charge!

aboutime
07-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Tyr. Manpower wise. The Chinese outnumber us in body count. Otherwise. We should all remember the letters from the Cold War that would be the answer to whether they can defeat us in any battle. And those letters would be"M.A.D." (mutually assured destruction)

Jeff
07-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Tyr give Obama a couple more years and then throw Hilliary into the mix and they will beat us, so will any other country ( or organized group ) and personally I think this was Obama's goal from the get go.

CSM
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Actually, China does not need to defeat the US militarily. It just has to convince Japan, the Phillipines, South Korea, Taiwan, et al that they can successfully invade them and the US will not be able to stop them. China can then influence affairs in the Pacific Rim more effectively and to the detriment of the US. IMO, the US and China won't engage in a face to face confrontation but I am willing to bet that there will be many proxy wars in the near future. How the US will fare is really open to debate but I do believe the US will lose in the long run. The US citizen has neither the inclination nor the intestinal fortitude to committ to our supposed allies as it is.

darin
07-08-2014, 08:47 AM
it's easy. If i was a chinese General I'd Get my Soldiers to cross the open border to the south. Get them here; they can find arms cheaply from the ATF, and I'd have a well-set-up guerilla force.

aboutime
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Actually, China does not need to defeat the US militarily. It just has to convince Japan, the Phillipines, South Korea, Taiwan, et al that they can successfully invade them and the US will not be able to stop them. China can then influence affairs in the Pacific Rim more effectively and to the detriment of the US. IMO, the US and China won't engage in a face to face confrontation but I am willing to bet that there will be many proxy wars in the near future. How the US will fare is really open to debate but I do believe the US will lose in the long run. The US citizen has neither the inclination nor the intestinal fortitude to committ to our supposed allies as it is.

CSM. Sad as it may sound. I almost totally agree with you about TODAY'S American citizens. Intestinal Fortitude isn't something LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of us (Retired, and Active Duty Military) are unfamiliar with in defending OUR OWN NATION.
Unless there is some kind of REWARD offered to today's normal, American citizen by government. They want nothing to do with preserving their RIGHTS, FREEDOMS, and LIBERTIES. Primarily because they HAVE NO IDEA what those rights, freedoms, and liberties mean since WASHINGTON in general...needs to prevent the 99 percent who DEPEND on government to THINK, BREATHE, and DECIDE how smart they should be.

Also, just as sadly is..China, The Middle East, and Russia are all, very well aware of WE...the PAPER TIGER that used to be the place everyone wanted to be.
LACK of education will be the endgame of WE THE PEOPLE.
As long as Government has control of education, health, and the military.
WE are those who FAIL to remember History, and are DOOMED to repeat it.

NightTrain
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Sadly, I believe we are now viewed as the Paper Tiger that Bin Laden claimed we were prior to Iraq & Afghanistan.

Not that our military isn't completely capable of annihilating any other country on earth once unleashed - it's the ass clown CiC.

I believe that China could launch a surprise assault and take over of one of those islands it wants and Obama would merely threaten sanctions just as he did to Russia in the Ukraine. The world knows he has no backbone and zero military experience.

The window of opportunity is getting short for such behavior without retaliation so this kind of annexation would have to happen before 2017.