View Full Version : EPA claims it has the power to garnish wages without court approval

SassyLady
07-10-2014, 12:54 AM
This scares me more than the NSA.

The Environmental Protection Agency has quietly claimed that it has the authority to unilaterally garnish the wages of individuals who have been accused of violating its rules.
According to The Washington Times, the agency announced the plan to enhance its purview last week in a notice in the Federal Register. The notice claimed that federal law allows the EPA to "garnish non-Federal wages to collect delinquent non-tax debts owed the United States without first obtaining a court order."
The notice went on to say that the EPA had fast-tracked the new rule, enabling it to take effect September 2 unless the agency receives enough adverse public comments by August 1. The EPA said the rule was not subject to review because it was not a "significant regulatory action."
The EPA has claimed this new authority by citing the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996, which gives all federal agencies the power to conduct administrative wage garnishment, provided that the agency allows for hearings at which debtors can challenge the amount or the terms of a repayment schedule.

Kathianne
07-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Putting all gov't agencies under the IRS powers. Who says the government needs to be feared?

Gaffer
07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Laws mean nothing, you will abide by our rules. Seig heil.

aboutime
07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Sad to see, and say. But, if you think about the Unlimited Power the EPA has, and thinks they have.

Ever consider how that same OUT OF CONTROL EPA could stretch their reach into every American home to control the amount of electricity, heat, air-conditioning, gas, and even water?

Does "1984" ring any bells?

What used to be "WHAT IF'S" are slowly becoming "HERE IT IS".

Abbey Marie
07-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Our founding fathers are surely spinning in their graves.

aboutime
07-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Abbey. Honestly. I think...Our Founding Fathers would have disowned all of us by now, for allowing such Betrayal of Trust, Honesty, and Humanity to take place.

Abbey Marie
07-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Every summer we visit the grave of my husband's Maine (then Mass.) ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War. We have his gun over our mantle. He did not fight for independence so we could become slaves to our government again.

NightTrain
07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Every summer we visit the grave of my husband's Maine (then Mass.) ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War. We have his gun over our mantle. He did not fight for independence so we could become slaves to our government again.

Wow!

Can you post a picture of that, please? I'd really like to see that.

NightTrain
07-10-2014, 10:29 PM

I sure hope the SCOTUS starts putting the brakes on these power grabs by Fed agencies... this behavior is really spiraling out of control.

Abbey Marie
07-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Wow!

Can you post a picture of that, please? I'd really like to see that.

Absolutely. I will take a pic tomorrow. :cool:

Gaffer
07-11-2014, 09:12 AM
This is why these agencies need to be shut down and all power removed. Won't happen while the Fuhrer is in charge, maybe not by his successor either. The elites like their govt agencies. Makes them feel so....nationalistic.

red state
07-11-2014, 02:26 PM

Abbey, I'm sure Ye Ole King George of Ye Ole Merry England is definitely spinning in his grave because he sees would see today as just a fraction of what trampling of our rights he was doing. The key component is (taxation without representation) and our king of today is certainly excercising his pen. Another thing King George (and so the liberals know, I'm not talking about any Bushes) but another thing King George would probably be envious of (HITLER/STALIN) as well is the propaganda machine and total control of the media. WE've come a long way since Ben Franklin's "Don't tread on me" which was the or one of the FIRST political cartoons. Speaking of cartoons......try this one on for size since we're discussing the EPA that hurts business/jobs and the lap dog media we have.

http://jjchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Obamas-Pet-The-Press-Corp-ATTACK-1024x853.jpg

http://jjchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Obamas-Pet-The-Press-Corp-ATTACK-1024x853.jpg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Jim.....I couldn't post a file from my computer so I placed a link. Is there something wrong with my settings? A window pops up when trying to post an image/file but the "from computer" selection does nothing. Only the "from link" works.....and that doesn't seem to like the site from which the link came. As a "fix" I tried to post the image directly into your site.......

http://www.debatepolicy.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=694977

Abbey Marie
07-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Red- File Not Found on the link.