PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter - Respect

jimnyc
07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Let me start out by stating I am a lifelong LA Dodgers fan, back from the days of Steve Sax, Garvey & when Tommy Lasorda had hair!

But living in the NY area you get inundated with the Yankees and Mets. And if you want to see your team when they come to town, you hit Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium (now citifield). Anyway, I've been to Yankee Stadium like 20 times. I grew up with die hard Yankees fans. It wasn't hard to start having admiration and respect for Derek. He never complained, never got in trouble, never took breaks. He was a professional and the face of NY at times. He lead them to FIVE world series championships and endless AL Championships. He was a 14 time all star player in his 20 years of baseball. In NY he was simply known as "captain". Ask anyone in NY who the captain was and their first response would be Derek Jeter.

This vid is awesome. It shows how many people have respect for the man, whether you were a Yankees fan or not. Even his hated rivals in Boston ended up loving him for what he brought to the sport. Listen at the end of the video, when you hear the chants of "DER-EK JE-TER". That's nothing. If you're in the stadium and they start chanting that, it's deafening.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Derek Jeter myself. It's rare to see a player like him anymore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d7I4tpYg05Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
07-16-2014, 09:50 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xmOT1Ju62CI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Last one, and of course you need to be a baseball fan to enjoy these...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iQ2EHE-ARrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abbey Marie
07-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Let me start out by stating I am a lifelong LA Dodgers fan, back from the days of Steve Sax, Garvey & when Tommy Lasorda had hair!

Jim, I'm curious why you are a fan of teams that in states (I assume) you have no real association with.
At first, I thought it was just the Steelers, but now it's LA too. Especially when you have often-great teams right in your own backyard.

jimnyc
07-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Jim, I'm curious why you are a fan of teams in states that (I assume) you have no real association with).
At first, I thought it was just the Steelers, but now it's LA too. Especially when you have often-great teams right in your own backyard.

One team made it through - the NY Rangers.

Pittsburgh Steelers
LA Dodgers
Kentucky Wildcats
Penn State

As opposed to:

NY Giants, NY Jets, NY Yankees & NY Mets
Then of course we have a ton of college teams, but not many on the national level of sports. Rutgers was as good as it got for me growing up.

The Steelers were because of what my Dad put on TV when I was about 5. Dad was also a huge fan of Joe Paterno when I was still a tyke. I'm not 100% sure on the Dodgers, or Kentucky for that fact. I think I was just a sports nut when I was real little, into baseball daily stats and all, same went with basketball and football. The weirdest part is that I have been to all of the local stadiums many times, including Rutgers in Piscataway, MSG a million times... but almost always was there to see the opposing team!

Abbey Marie
07-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Speaking of JoPa, has any sports figure been more screwed over than him? It still burns me that his reputation was ruined, and that huge assistant coach who saw it happen and didn't stop it, goes on fine.

jimnyc
07-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Speaking of JoPa, has any sports figure been more screwed over than him? It still burns me that his reputation was ruined, and that huge assistant coach who saw it happen and didn't stop it, goes on fine.

I still believe in my heart that Joe was a decent man. I think the majority of his fans believe that too, and I think that would be good enough for Joe. For me, there was never enough there to make him the scapegoat they did. I'm still a proud PSU fan and JoePa fan :salute:

aboutime
07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Jim, I'm curious why you are a fan of teams that in states (I assume) you have no real association with.

Abbey. Gotta agree with you. I've always been a fan of the Dodgers. Began when they were still the BROOKLYN DODGERS.

As for Tommy Lasorda. Not a fabrication here. Anyone can check. But my first home in Pennsylvania, after we were married in 1969, was one street down, and two doors from Tommy's mother.

He once showed up for a Local Catholic School graduation ceremony with....FRANK SINATRA as his guest.
When you talk about a SMALL WORLD. Seeing Tommy in person made being a Dodger fan even stronger.
Can't forget....Tommy always managed to tell some of the greatest jokes too!

I know it's off topic. I couldn't resist. We older folks tend to rant on, and on...and on.:laugh:

jimnyc
07-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Abbey. Gotta agree with you. I've always been a fan of the Dodgers. Began when they were still the BROOKLYN DODGERS.

As for Tommy Lasorda. Not a fabrication here. Anyone can check. But my first home in Pennsylvania, after we were married in 1969, was one street down, and two doors from Tommy's mother.

He once showed up for a Local Catholic School graduation ceremony with....FRANK SINATRA as his guest.
When you talk about a SMALL WORLD. Seeing Tommy in person made being a Dodger fan even stronger.
Can't forget....Tommy always managed to tell some of the greatest jokes too!

I know it's off topic. I couldn't resist. We older folks tend to rant on, and on...and on.:laugh:

Well my days were the Dodgers of the late 70's and early 80's, and Tommy was no spring chicken. Damn, now you had good reason to root! I'd have liked to have met him, he seemed like a nice guy, and passionate about the game!

gabosaurus
07-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Derek Jeter is a decent player. He only has legendary status because he spent his career with the Yankees. If Jeter had played for the Rangers or the Royals, he would not be accorded such status.

I speak this as a Dodger fan who despises the Yankees. :cool:

My sports loyalties are such: The Dodgers and the Ducks. No one else.
No college teams, since Division I football and basketball are as corrupt and slimy as the day is long.
Joe Paterno might have been a good coach, but he was a controlling asshole and a pedophilia facilitator.

aboutime
07-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Well my days were the Dodgers of the late 70's and early 80's, and Tommy was no spring chicken. Damn, now you had good reason to root! I'd have liked to have met him, he seemed like a nice guy, and passionate about the game!

Thanks jim. Those were the last days in my hometown, when a large majority of the people were Old School Italian. Almost like the GODFATHER images of towns in New York, Jersey, and Pennsy.

Tommy's Mom was a sweet lady. Without a lie. If you walked, or drove past her house in the Spring, or Summer. You could tell by the DELICIOUS smell's of Pasta, and Tomato sauce, Garlic, and Oregano...where she lived.

I haven't been back to my home town for a long, long time. But, checking Google Earth these days. It looks like all the PIZZA, Mom and Pop stores have been replaced with TACO Bell sounding names.
If that sounds RACIST to anyone. Too bad.
But it does prove....."YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN!"