PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. James Garner

hjmick
07-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Just heard this on the news.

James Garner was found deceased. He was 86.

jimnyc
07-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Just read the story on Yahoo about 5 minutes ago. Used to be a huge fan of Rockford Files. Good actor.

RIP James :salute:

Jeff
07-20-2014, 06:17 AM
May he R.I.P.

hjmick
07-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Damn cat...

hjmick
07-20-2014, 06:43 AM
James Garner, star of 'Maverick' and 'The Rockford Files,' dies at 86 (http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-james-garner-dies-20140720-story.html)

Kathianne
07-20-2014, 07:38 AM
I liked him in nearly any movie or tv appearance. He just seemed a nice guy.

Said1
07-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Aw, I loved him as an actor. I used to secretly wish Jim Rockford was my uncle or something.

NightTrain
07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
He always struck me as a classy guy.

My favorite movie of his was 'Maverick' with Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster... it was a great flick.

RIP.

aboutime
07-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Always liked him as Maverick. With his tv brother Jack Kelly.

Lately. He has been reappearing in the popular "NOTEBOOK" movie.

Another wonderful memory of AMERICANA slips away.

RIP Mr. Garner. RIP

Kathianne
07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Best right up I've seen yet:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/james-garner-leaves-big-legacy-maverick-small-screen-article-1.1874450

<header id="a-headers" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: -4px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Arial; line-height: 16px; background: transparent;">James Garner dead at 86: Actor leaves big legacy as a ‘Maverick’ on the small screenWith starring roles in ‘Maverick’ and ‘The Rockford Files’ among the many standout turns on his resume, Garner shined as a non-traditional good buy.NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, July 21, 2014, 10:30 AM

A
A
A

</header>

Here's why we loved James Garner's TV characters: because they reassured us that even guys with no visible heroic traits could somehow beat the bad guys in the end.

Bret Maverick and Jim Rockford, who were basically the same character in different footwear, were the antithesis of almost every traditional good guy on television.

When Bret rode into town in 1957 with the drama "Maverick," justice in Western towns was almost always administered by men like Marshall Matt Dillon, played by James Arness on "Gunsmoke."

Matt Dillon was tall, handsome, rugged, fair-minded, moral and a straight shooter. Like his Silver Screen predecessors — John Wayne comes to mind — he was a righteous firewall whose very presence left no doubt justice would prevail.
Bret Maverick had no such ambitions. He was a gambler who aspired to become nothing higher than a hustler. He'd be happy, he insisted, to finesse a few bucks and leave town untroubled by any gunfire he heard behind him on his way out.
Unfortunately, that plan kept not working out. He kept getting drawn into disputes that kept forcing him to dispense justice.

He didn't use a gun much. He started with his wits and when necessary moved on to his fists.
If there were a hall of fame for TV Western fistfights, Bret's battle with Clint Eastwood's Red Hardigan in the 1959 episode "Duel at Sundown" would be a charter inductee.

<figure class="a-image v" style="-webkit-padding-start: 0px; margin: 0px 30px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; position: relative; min-height: 40px; width: 400px; float: left; background: transparent;">http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1874445.1405952674!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/garnertv22f-4-web.jpg
ABC PHOTO ARCHIVES/ABC VIA GETTY IMAGESThe late, great Garner, pictured in 1959, broke big as the star of the television series, ‘Maverick.’</figure>
At the same time, that episode even better illustrated the real agenda of "Maverick," which was to find laughs where most shows found only the other stuff.

After the fight, Bret finds himself in a rare six-shooter showdown with the outlaw John Wesley Hardin. Except "Hardin" turns out to be his brother Bart, played by Jack Kelly. Yup, the Maverick brothers stage a fake shootout to fool Red.

As the brothers ride away unharmed, they pass the real John Wesley Hardin, who's blasting his way into town with steam coming out of his ears to find the varmint who "killed" him.
Sweet.

Bret Maverick wasn't the only non-traditional Western hero on TV in the 1950s. Richard Boone's Paladin on "Have Gun Will Travel" was dark and haunted. Steve McQueen's bounty hunter Josh Randall on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" was hardly a classic white hat.

But no one had the same qualities as Maverick. He wasn't the fastest or the toughest. He may not have been the smartest.
He just had the best sense of humor.

Ok, I had a 'dad/grand dad crush on him, with the Rockford files. Saw him in a couple films, probably made for tv in 90's early 2000's confirmed it. He was 'nice' and 'funny.'

Sort of a Columbo with western hat.