PDA

View Full Version : Psst... Hey bub, wanna buy a bridge?

hjmick
07-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Yes? then you should contact Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, which has 11 of them for sale...

Prices range from $1 to $500... But there is a catch...

HARRISBURG Pa. (Reuters) - Buying a bridge is not on most to-do lists, but anyone seeking a historic span need look no further than the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, which has 11 of them for sale.

PennDOT is trying to save bridges on the National Register of Historic Places that are not up to the demands of modern traffic. Prices range from $1 to $500, and moving costs can often be paid by the Federal Highway Administration.

The catch is that the buyer must reuse the bridge somewhere else and is responsible for all associated costs.

“They can’t be sold for scrap,” Erin Waters-Trasatt, a PennDOT spokeswoman, said on Monday. “They need to be rehabilitated and preserved.”

Want to buy a bridge? Pennsylvania still has 11 for sale (http://news.msn.com/offbeat/want-to-buy-a-bridge-pennsylvania-still-has-11-for-sale)

I just don't know where I would put it...

gabosaurus
07-21-2014, 09:41 PM
I have one in Brooklyn. Don't need another. :cool:

SassyLady
07-22-2014, 12:48 AM
I have one in Brooklyn. Don't need another. :cool:

I have three in SF ... nanner, nanner, nanner......

jimnyc
07-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Too lazy to lookup the facts, but I know a portion of one highway in PA belongs to a foreign company!

tailfins
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Yes? then you should contact Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, which has 11 of them for sale...

Prices range from $1 to $500... But there is a catch...

Want to buy a bridge? Pennsylvania still has 11 for sale (http://news.msn.com/offbeat/want-to-buy-a-bridge-pennsylvania-still-has-11-for-sale)

I just don't know where I would put it...

Nothing says it has to be used as a bridge. Some bridges would make an excellent frame for a building, perhaps apartments or for storing large equipment.