PDA

View Full Version : Diversity based grading

SassyLady
07-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Why even bother going to school?

Report: University of Wisconsin-Madison mulls ‘diversity-based grading’July 21, 2014
MADISON, Wisc. – It sounds crazy on its face, but then again one comes to expect that from UW-Madison. But are they crazy enough to do race-based grading.

W. Lee Hansen (http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~whansen/?page_id=70), a professor emeritus of economics at UW-Madison wrote in an op-ed piece (http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=3039#.U8k9lWOTHZf) for the John William Hope Pope Center for Higher Education, a North Carolina-based think tank, about the latest “diversity” plan for the UW-System’s flagship school. The plan, completed in May, is your typical left-wing platitudes about commitments to “compositional diversity,” “equity mindedness” “representational equity” and other things for what has become a sacred cow to liberal academia.
But when you dig deeper into the definitions of these platitudes according to Hansen, you suddenly see that “representational equity” is being applied to levels never before seen.
Let us take a closer look at one of these working definitions included, namely “representational equity.”
It calls for “proportional participation of historically underrepresented racial-ethnic groups at all levels of an institution, including high status special programs, high-demand majors, and in the distribution of grades.”
We are not told exactly what adherence to this will entail. It appears to mean that directors of programs and departmental chairs will have to somehow ensure that they have a mix of students with just the right percentages of individuals who embody the various “differences” included in the definition of diversity. I cannot see how that is possible and even if it were, how it improves any student’s education.
Get all that?
UW-Madison’s diversity guidelines state that if a course, major or program is in high demand, special status must be given to ensure the make-up of the class (and thus those taking the major) is racially and ethnically diverse with “just the right percentages.” Meaning, it would be justifiable for a placement in hard-to-get-in classes and prerequisites for specific majors be awarded to students based sole on their race.

But it may be worse than that.
Especially shocking is the language about “equity” in the distribution of grades. Professors, instead of just awarding the grade that each student earns, would apparently have to adjust them so that academically weaker, “historically underrepresented racial/ethnic” students perform at the same level and receive the same grades as academically stronger students.
At the very least, this means even greater expenditures on special tutoring for weaker targeted minority students. It is also likely to trigger a new outbreak of grade inflation, as professors find out that they can avoid trouble over “inequitable” grade distributions by giving every student a high grade.
In short, the new diversity requirements seem to say that campus commitment to diversity is so important that the grading system itself must be sacrificed. This would mean, according to Hansen and others, an environment now exists where academic performance no longer matters. That for the diversity crowd, all that seems to be of value would be that “historically underrepresented racial/ethnic” students be awarded “equitable” grades to their counterparts, regardless.

http://eagnews.org/report-university-of-wisconsin-madison-mulls-diversity-based-grading/

Perianne
07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Abbey Marie
07-22-2014, 11:42 AM
So the crappy achievement-killing policies of the lower grades are now being touted for higher education. Because we all know how the liberal policies of the federal and State DOE's are improving our schools, right?

Wonderful.

Perianne
07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
As hard as I try to understand, I can't figure out what goes on in some people's heads. In all things there are winners and losers. It is sad to be in the "loser" group, but no amount of manipulation can change this pure fact of nature.

NightTrain
07-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Why even bother going to school?

This is why America is slipping.

Soon you'll have unqualified people in the work force with major degrees they don't deserve to have.

I've run across a few engineers in the telecom industry that had no idea what they were doing and the resulting chaos was terrible to behold. Sure, they soon get fired after their incompetence is discovered by their employer, but they take a few others down with them on their way out, and the millions spent to correct the situation is devastating to the company responsible to make it right.

More than once I've had to defend myself for doing what the engineer wanted even though I knew it was wrong, but I knew it was coming within the first 10 minutes talking to the guy about the project before we started, protected myself and my employer with a paper trail and alerted my boss that the Engineer running the show was going to bomb as soon as I was aware of his shortcomings... there's nothing you can do because that Engineer is employed by the company that hired us.

The really incompetent ones won't listen due to arrogance and so, as a contractor, you do what they want but make sure you're covered.

tailfins
07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
So the crappy achievement-killing policies of the lower grades are now being touted for higher education. Because we all know how the liberal policies of the federal and State DOE's are improving our schools, right?

Wonderful.

There has to be a tipping point where a university degree is less useful than Microsoft certifications. Which do you think is more marketable: A Bacclaurate or this: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsd-application-lifecycle-management.aspx ?

aboutime
07-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Soon you'll have unqualified people in the work force with major degrees they don't deserve to have.

I've run across a few engineers in the telecom industry that had no idea what they were doing and the resulting chaos was terrible to behold. Sure, they soon get fired after their incompetence is discovered by their employer, but they take a few others down with them on their way out, and the millions spent to correct the situation is devastating to the company responsible to make it right.

More than once I've had to defend myself for doing what the engineer wanted even though I knew it was wrong, but I knew it was coming within the first 10 minutes talking to the guy about the project before we started, protected myself and my employer with a paper trail and alerted my boss that the Engineer running the show was going to bomb as soon as I was aware of his shortcomings... there's nothing you can do because that Engineer is employed by the company that hired us.

The really incompetent ones won't listen due to arrogance and so, as a contractor, you do what they want but make sure you're covered.

NightTrain. As to your line above:
"Soon you'll have unqualified people in the work force with major degrees they don't deserve to have."

That is already happening, and taking place. It has been for years.

Check, right here on the Internet. There are actually websites that offer...FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. Degree's, including validation, and Accreditation papers, with diploma's that "Magically", some of the people who do the HIRING...have also used to earn their positions.

Nobody should be surprised how CHEAPENED education has become. Yet the TUITION costs continue to soar and chase those who really need, and want education away.

Most of this information has become the chief reason I am SUSPICIOUS whenever someone ONLINE...brags so much about Degree's.

tailfins
07-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Do you have the option to bail out after finding a new gig? When I can't bail out, I finesse the situation where I do something that shines. As an illustration, imagine writing excellent buggy whip making machine management software. It wouldn't be my problem that some idiot decided to manufacture buggy whips. I can still demonstrate how well written my code is.

NightTrain
07-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Do you have the option to bail out after finding a new gig? When I can't bail out, I finesse the situation where I do something that shines. As an illustration, imagine writing excellent buggy whip making machine management software. It wouldn't be my problem that some idiot decided to manufacture buggy whips. I can still demonstrate how well written my code is.

No, we generally focus on maintaining & building cell sites, microwave sites, central offices, satellite shots, fiber links, stuff like that from the ground up if desired. Turnkey.

I'm not independent; I work for a local company that I enjoy and we have worked for all of the telecom companies present in Alaska. I could go rogue, but that's a tough racket and I don't want the headache... even though the rewards can be huge.

Don't get me wrong, my work is always beautiful and above reproach - I take pride in it and I have a reputation that I've worked hard for. But when the engineer has totally bombed and nothing works like it should, there's a lot of scrutiny (and the contractor is always the first choice for scapegoat) so my work comes under the microscope. I get compliments on my work, especially when scrutinized, and if it deviates from code or the scope of work, then there's a piece of paper ordering me to do so.

So, yeah... I guess I take the same approach as you do. I make sure that my portion is flawless, especially when I know the trainwreck is coming.

Kathianne
07-22-2014, 06:29 PM
The problem here has been evident for over 30 years. Truth is, the solution is in primary/middle school. The kids need to be taught what is expected in post HS, and need to want to achieve that.

It worked for my own kids and my students. However, with my kids I had some control like, "Hey, you can get your dad to pay for college, if you sue him or you can earn scholarships with your gifts. Your choice." None of my kids took their dad to court and he never helped them, even when he should have.

Most of my students had 'successful parents' but blue collar. Many wanted to pay their own way, I showed them how, in middle school.

By HS, kids are too entrenched in success and failure.

gabosaurus
07-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Never heard of such a thing.
I am sure I could have glided through high school with no trouble. The subject matter wasn't that hard. But a friend and I were in the same boat, in that neither of our parents could afford to pay for college. My husband was the same way. So we went the jock route, with grades in place of athletic school. We all earned academic scholarships. My friend went to Texas. My husband went to UCLA. I went to Cal.
We all had friends who did little and barely scraped by. Partying was more important. I saw one of them recently working the night shift at 7-11. :cool:

SassyLady
07-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Never heard of such a thing.
I am sure I could have glided through high school with no trouble. The subject matter wasn't that hard. But a friend and I were in the same boat, in that neither of our parents could afford to pay for college. My husband was the same way. So we went the jock route, with grades in place of athletic school. We all earned academic scholarships. My friend went to Texas. My husband went to UCLA. I went to Cal.
We all had friends who did little and barely scraped by. Partying was more important. I saw one of them recently working the night shift at 7-11. :cool:

Well, we can't always be all-knowing ... which is why I posted the article. To help people understand why this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Perhaps with your contacts in the educational field you can get more information on this new potential grading system and what the current thinking is.