PDA

View Full Version : Butter healthier for you than Margarine

DragonStryk72
07-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Butter

While the saturated fat that makes up the bulk of butter might boost cholesterol levels in our blood, any effect here is actually irrelevant: it’s the impact it has on health that counts. All the most recent, major scientific reviews of the evidence simply fail to find any link between intakes of saturated fat and risk of heart disease.

These ‘epidemiological’ studies fail to impugn saturated fat, but cannot be used to determine ‘causality’ (whether or not saturated fat causes heart disease). More enlightening are studies in which the health outcomes of individuals who cut back on saturated fat or replace it with supposedly healthier fats are compared with those who do not make these changes.

A comprehensive review of the literature encompassing almost 50 such studies was published by researchers from the respected Cochrane Collaboration in 2012. Reducing and/or modifying fat in the diet did not reduce the risk of heart disease (or stroke, or any other chronic disease) at all. Life expectancy was not extended by a single day either. The evidence as a whole strongly suggests that our belief that saturated fat causes heart disease and has broadly harmful effects on health is a myth.

The next most plentiful fat in butter is monounsaturated in nature. This type of fat is found in foods such as olives, olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocado, and is associated with improved heart health.

Butter also contains small amounts of what are known as ‘trans fats’. Trans fats can be formed during the processing of fats, and are said to cause heart disease. However, the trans fats found in butter have a different chemical nature to those found in industrially-produced fats (such as those found in some margarines). Crucially, there is evidence that while industrially-produced trans fats do indeed have links with heart disease, those that occur naturally in the diet do not.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/11/01/my-piece-in-the-times-which-i-think-settles-the-butter-versus-margarine-debate-once-and-for-all/

God, I just love how often we keep finding out that the supposedly "healthy" foods are bad for you.

"Drink skim or 1% milk to slim down.... Oh, um, wait. Apparently, you'll have a lower BMI if you drink 2% or especially whole milk."

"Get rid of the corn syrup in your soda, and drink diet.... Oh, um, wait. Yeah... Aspertame's apparently bad for you, and might just eat a hole in your liver. Um, just try to switching over to Pepsi or Mt. Dew Throwbacks."

"Go over to Margarine, because butter will increase your risk of heart disease... Oh, um, wait. Okay, I know I keep doing this, but as it turns out, only the industrial saturated fats increase risk of heart disease, and uh, actually, it turns out that margarine's various oil it uses to get around the saturated fats... increase risk of heart disease due to it increasing the clotting factor of blood."

aboutime
07-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Why can't ALL OF US just decide to agree?:laugh:

Everything we say, think, eat, do, learn, dream about, remember, consider, wonder, touch, feel, smell, drive, ride and breathe.....IS DANGEROUS TO OUR HEALTH.

Let's not forget. WATER, SUN, AIR, ANIMALS, STORMS, and OTHER HUMANS all are dangerous, and can RUIN OUR HEALTH.

If you'd like to add anything to the list. Feel free. But, be careful. It might not be healthy for you.:laugh:

NightTrain
07-29-2014, 07:26 PM
We only eat salted butter in my house, even though it's a lot more expensive.

It tastes better and it's a whole lot more healthy than that butter-flavored plastic.

Kathianne
07-29-2014, 07:34 PM
I go with unsalted butter, regular sour cream and cream cheese-neither of which are staples. My feeling is that when it comes to the get down, I'm with regular food. I'm relatively cautious regarding fats and such, but truth is that eating is one of God's pleasures provided.

fj1200
07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
The Case for ButterEpisode: CCGEA-308F
Previous Episode (http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/good-eats/300f/american-pickle.html) | Next Episode (http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/shows/good-eats/300f/flap-jack-do-it-again.html)

In this very special episode of Good Eats, Alton Brown goes to court to defend butter against a bad wrap brought on by "the dark agents of industry,media and the fears of a fat phobic public." The best defense: sauces.

Alton Brown: Way ahead of you. :poke:

jafar00
07-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Think about it. Did our parents and grandparents worry about finding low fat foods 50-60 years ago? Nope.
Low fat dogma comes from a quack called Ancel Keys who used used bad science and cherry picked data to show that eating fat causes heart disease.

We have been in an epidemic of obesity and heart disease since the early 1980's which funnily enough coincides with the rise of low fat diets (which increase sugar to compensate).

I've been eating a Ketogenic (High fat/Low carb) diet for a little over 18 months now and I've lost 32kg (70lb) without setting a single foot in the gym.

I eat a lot of (unsalted) butter too! I even put it in my coffee from time to time :)

Joyful HoneyBee
08-15-2014, 05:17 PM
'Nuff said:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6309&stc=1

Redrose
08-15-2014, 05:31 PM
God, I just love how often we keep finding out that the supposedly "healthy" foods are bad for you.

"Drink skim or 1% milk to slim down.... Oh, um, wait. Apparently, you'll have a lower BMI if you drink 2% or especially whole milk."

"Get rid of the corn syrup in your soda, and drink diet.... Oh, um, wait. Yeah... Aspertame's apparently bad for you, and might just eat a hole in your liver. Um, just try to switching over to Pepsi or Mt. Dew Throwbacks."

"Go over to Margarine, because butter will increase your risk of heart disease... Oh, um, wait. Okay, I know I keep doing this, but as it turns out, only the industrial saturated fats increase risk of heart disease, and uh, actually, it turns out that margarine's various oil it uses to get around the saturated fats... increase risk of heart disease due to it increasing the clotting factor of blood."

My doctor says eat single ingredient foods. Butter is better than margarine which is chemicals. Butter is cream and sometimes salt.

eggs are better than a bowl of cereal.

sugar is better than the substitutes.

adults do not need to drink milk.

we have changed the way we shop and eat. Our numbers are great.

DLT
08-15-2014, 05:37 PM

The bottom line to all of these "studies" is that anything that you eat that is not in moderation could kill ya....if you eat enough of it or overdo it. But these ""researchers"" have to keep justifying their paychecks and propagating their grants received by doing more and more studies. Thus, the recycling of old studies and reverse "findings" ad infinitum.

aboutime
08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
The bottom line to all of these "studies" is that anything that you eat that is not in moderation could kill ya....if you eat enough of it or overdo it. But these ""researchers"" have to keep justifying their paychecks and propagating their grants received by doing more and more studies. Thus, the recycling of old studies and reverse "findings" ad infinitum.

Xenalee. I love it when this kind of topic comes up, telling all of us what WE CAN, and CAN'T eat, or drink. Then, later on, reverse all of the warnings to scare us once again almost by GOVT. Fiat.

My favorite is the ONE warning we never get to hear, or see concerning something that maintains life, and at the same time, can destroy it within seconds.

I wonder how many have heard of the DANGEROUS....."Dihydrogen Monoxide"??

DragonStryk72
08-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Actually, I think a lot of it is well-intentioned, but the problem there is, because a wel-intended bad posit is still bad, and it effects all outcomes. So way back, someone puts forth the theory that eating fatty foods makes you fat. The theory becomes accepted "fact", and other scientists use the conclusion as a posit in their own research. This research, already biased by the original posit, skews their results, and further studies take those skewed findings, and create posits off of increasingly inaccurate data.

DragonStryk72
08-16-2014, 01:28 AM
My doctor says eat single ingredient foods. Butter is better than margarine which is chemicals. Butter is cream and sometimes salt.

eggs are better than a bowl of cereal.

sugar is better than the substitutes.

adults do not need to drink milk.

we have changed the way we shop and eat. Our numbers are great.

eh, that's oversimplifying the other direction, though. I mean, hollandaise sauce is fine, you just can't go nuts with it.

Milk is still good, and has a number of nutrients, and really, there's a lot of food and drink I don't "need".

grannyhawkins
08-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Think you could forward this to al gore???

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Think you could forward this to al gore???

To the Nutrition Jet!