PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious

Sitarro
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
What is the purpose of having a lens this color? Why would anyone that is trying to shoot photographs want to attract attention with a bright sun reflecting barrel like this? Is it available in a manly black finish or does it come with a can of spray paint for those that don't want the "hey look at me" look? The only design criteria I can see here is Canon's marketing department trying to get attention to the many systems they gave away to sports photographers. I talked to a guy at an airshow that shoots for National Geographic that told me he had received an offer from them to replace his Nikon equipment with theirs, he told them that they couldn't pay him to switch....... they offered to and yet he was still using a D-2Xs and a D-200 at the airshow.

I have a hard time taking a company seriously when their design doesn't follow function. They are very successful with this strategy though, I must admit.

Abbey Marie
06-21-2007, 12:12 AM
For shooting polar bears and penguins? :)

Sitarro
06-21-2007, 12:14 AM

HaHa, but the camera body is black.

I have seen a wildlife photographer that put some vinyl camoflage print on one.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
HaHa, but the camera body is black.

I have seen a wildlife photographer that put some vinyl camoflage print on one.:laugh2:

Yeah, I guess a white lens on a black body is kinda pointless. :D

Sitarro
06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I guess a white lens on a black body is kinda pointless. :D

Except to be noticed by budding photographers in the audience. I have always felt that a photographer has to be as invisible as possible to get the best shots, a blindingly bright telephoto kind of make you the object of attention.....the opposite of what you should be. At least they didn't go with Ferrari red.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

nevadamedic
06-21-2007, 01:45 AM

Abby's great :) :laugh2:

Pale Rider
06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
What is the purpose of having a lens this color? Why would anyone that is trying to shoot photographs want to attract attention with a bright sun reflecting barrel like this? Is it available in a manly black finish or does it come with a can of spray paint for those that don't want the "hey look at me" look? The only design criteria I can see here is Canon's marketing department trying to get attention to the many systems they gave away to sports photographers. I talked to a guy at an airshow that shoots for National Geographic that told me he had received an offer from them to replace his Nikon equipment with theirs, he told them that they couldn't pay him to switch....... they offered to and yet he was still using a D-2Xs and a D-200 at the airshow.

I have a hard time taking a company seriously when their design doesn't follow function. They are very successful with this strategy though, I must admit.

It appears that once you reach 300mm in the fixed focal length lense line up, they turn white, and that's it. Why is a damn good question... but it doesn't seem to be the same case with the zooms...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2465/lensesju0.jpg

Jon
06-21-2007, 03:17 AM
What is the purpose of having a lens this color? ...

...I have a hard time taking a company seriously when their design doesn't follow function. They are very successful with this strategy though, I must admit.

Form does follow function. I'm not sure whether you really don't understand why some of Canon's lenses are white, or if you're just trolling?

Either way, for those that don't know:

Canon uses Fluorite in their pro lenses. AFAIK, Nikon doesn't currently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorite

"...Fluorite is used instead of glass in some high performance telescopes and camera lens elements... Fluorite has a very low dispersion so light diffraction is far less than ordinary glass, and in telescopes it allows crisp images of astronomical objects even at high power..."

Unfortunately, Fluorite is temperature sensitive. Actually, all lens elements are affected by temperature in some manner. Painting the body of the lens white keeps the temperature inside the lens barrel cooler.

Nikon uses 'ED' glass in their lenses. I've read that 'ED' glass is a composite of several materials, including Fluorite. I've also read reports that the focus shifts with temperature on these Nikon lenses and that they are designed to focus past infinity to cope with this.

In short, if you're a fashion conscious photographer, buy Nikon and get color coordinated lenses. Otherwise, buy Canon and get (theoretically) more consistent lens performance. :poke:

Pale Rider
06-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Form does follow function. I'm not sure whether you really don't understand why some of Canon's lenses are white, or if you're just trolling?

"...Fluorite is used instead of glass in some high performance telescopes and camera lens elements... Fluorite has a very low dispersion so light diffraction is far less than ordinary glass, and in telescopes it allows crisp images of astronomical objects even at high power..."

Unfortunately, Fluorite is temperature sensitive. Actually, all lens elements are affected by temperature in some manner. Painting the body of the lens white keeps the temperature inside the lens barrel cooler.

Nikon uses 'ED' glass in their lenses. I've read that 'ED' glass is a composite of several materials, including Fluorite. I've also read reports that the focus shifts with temperature on these Nikon lenses and that they are designed to focus past infinity to cope with this.

In short, if you're a fashion conscious photographer, buy Nikon and get color coordinated lenses. Otherwise, buy Canon and get (theoretically) more consistent lens performance. :poke:

Learn something new every day. Very cool.

Jon
06-21-2007, 03:24 AM
... but it doesn't seem to be the same case with the zooms...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2465/lensesju0.jpg

That image is missing a few white zooms. ;)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-70-200mm-L-Lens-Size-Comparison.jpg

"Posing from left to right are the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens."

Sitarro
06-21-2007, 06:38 AM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: That's very good, sounds like the marketing department at Canon has worked overtime to come up with that one. :laugh2::finger3: I wonder when all of the greatest lens makers of all time will catch up to Canon (including the guys that make the lenses that shoot films such as Lord of the Rings)? As for telescopes, are those telescopes from Walmart the only ones with that high tech shit? Most of the bery high end telescopes I have ever seen were black.

I would say, buy Canon if you want to go with the crowd led by slick marketing campaigns and fanboys, go with Nikon if you want what the NASA crews take on the shuttle along with their Hasselblads(Gee Hasselblad hasn't figured out that temperature deal either).....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh 2:

Oh and by the way, that is some ugly ass shit!

Abbey Marie
06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Sitarro, I own a non-digital Nikon. Black. :)

darin
06-21-2007, 08:08 AM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: That's very good, sounds like the marketing department at Canon has worked overtime to come up with that one. :laugh2::finger3: I wonder when all of the greatest lens makers of all time will catch up to Canon (including the guys that make the lenses that shoot films such as Lord of the Rings)? As for telescopes, are those telescopes from Walmart the only ones with that high tech shit? Most of the bery high end telescopes I have ever seen were black.

I would say, buy Canon if you want to go with the crowd led by slick marketing campaigns and fanboys, go with Nikon if you want what the NASA crews take on the shuttle along with their Hasselblads(Gee Hasselblad hasn't figured out that temperature deal either).....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh 2:

So....you WERE trolling?

Jon
06-21-2007, 08:36 AM
:laugh2: That's very good, sounds like the marketing department at Canon has worked overtime to come up with that one. :laugh2::finger3: I wonder when all of the greatest lens makers of all time will catch up to Canon (including the guys that make the lenses that shoot films such as Lord of the Rings)? As for telescopes, are those telescopes from Walmart the only ones with that high tech shit? Most of the bery high end telescopes I have ever seen were black.

Zeiss, for one, has been using Fluorite for ~100 years:

<iframe src="http://www.zeiss.com/C125716F004E0776/0/BE59C476797B9013C125717C003E9E02/$File/Innovation_15_8.pdf" width="100%" height="500"> </iframe>

Nikon has also used Fluorite in the past, and now uses 'ED' glass.

You really must be joking, right? Either way, it should be plainly obvious to you why telescopes with Fluorite elements don't need to be white. Here's a hint: Is the sun in the sky when you're typically using a telescope? :slap:

I would say, buy Canon if you want to go with the crowd led by slick marketing campaigns and fanboys, go with Nikon if you want what the NASA crews take on the shuttle along with their Hasselblads(Gee Hasselblad hasn't figured out that temperature deal either).....:laugh2:

Funny that you brought up the shuttle. You do know why the majority of it is white, don't you? :poke:

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts_sys.html#sts

"4. Low-temperature reusable surface insulation white tiles are used in selected areas of the forward, mid-, and aft fuselages; vertical tail; upper wing; and OMS/RCS pods. These tiles protect areas where temperatures are below 1,200 F. These tiles have a white surface coating to provide better thermal characteristics on orbit."

The Hasselblads they use inside the shuttle don't need to be white because they're being used in a climate controlled setting. Lenses used outside of the shuttle, if there are any, just might be 'fanboy' white. ;)

Ooh! Burn! :lame2:

Weren't you just making a comment about design following function? So which do you want? Pretty matching lenses, or functional mismatched lenses?

Jon
06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
So....you WERE trolling?

Obviously. I don't know why I keep humoring him. :cool:

darin
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Obviously. I don't know why I keep humoring him. :cool:

You're providing GOOD information to people with open minds...Keep going.

:)

darin
06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Ya know - When I see a guy/gal using a white lens, I automatically give them MORE credit for having a clue about photography. It's not something I do on purpose. When I approach a person using one of the Whites, my conversation is substantially more serious than when they have a black lens. That's often not required, as I've met my share of WhiteLens folk who haven't the foggiest idea of 'why' they don't need a lens with IS while shooting sports. :)

shattered
06-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Eh.. Cut him some slack - it's tough going through life with such a bitter disposition, knowing what you do for a living can be outdone easily by someone doing it as a hobby.

darin
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-70-200mm-L-Lens-Size-Comparison.jpg

"Posing from left to right are the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM Lens and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens."

He's also missing the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/lens/ef100-400_45-56lisu_586x225.jpg

Pale Rider
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Yeah the image I posted was only of Canon's fixed focal length lenses. That was the line up that had the most white bodies in it.

I'm definitely going to upgrade to a better digital at some point so I can take advantage of interchangeable lenses.

And just for the record, I "WILL" buy me a "white lense,"... :D

darin
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah the image I posted was only of Canon's fixed focal length lenses. That was the line up that had the most white bodies in it.

I'm definitely going to upgrade to a better digital at some point so I can take advantage of interchangeable lenses.

And just for the record, I "WILL" buy me a "white lens,"... :D

WOW! You MUST be a poser then, right? ;)

:D

:poke::salute::salute:

<-- I own these white lenses:

70-200 f/4 L
http://www.chrysis.net/photo/canon/lens/702004_b.gif

300 f/4 L

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/62/b2/Canon_EF_300mm_f_4L_IS_USM_Lense__U___Lens_2530a00 4-resized200.jpg

shattered
06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
WOW! You MUST be a poser then, right? ;)

:D

:poke::salute::salute:

<-- I own these white lenses:

70-200 f/4 L
http://www.chrysis.net/photo/canon/lens/702004_b.gif

300 f/4 L

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/62/b2/Canon_EF_300mm_f_4L_IS_USM_Lense__U___Lens_2530a00 4-resized200.jpg

You high maintenance bitch, you! :poke:

(Hey, if I can be one for some cookware, you sure as hell can be for what... a $1000 lens? (Guessing off the top of my head).

darin
06-21-2007, 09:09 PM
You high maintenance bitch, you! :poke:

(Hey, if I can be one for some cookware, you sure as hell can be for what... a $1000 lens? (Guessing off the top of my head).

The 70-200 I got used for $500; for the 300 I paid about $1100 new. My 'other' (just the lens I typically carry around on the camera) was about $1100 as well.

shattered
06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
The 70-200 I got used for $500; for the 300 I paid about $1100 new. My 'other' (just the lens I typically carry around on the camera) was about $1100 as well.

Oh dear. You're $100 higher maintenance than I thought. Wait til he gets ahold of you. :cool:

Sitarro
06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
You kids are adorable.