PDA

View Full Version : Reading History

DragonStryk72
08-03-2014, 07:35 PM
So, everyone's been screaming back and forth about the whole Israel/Palestine conflict, and, of course, people keep saying it's Israel's fault because of 1948. So I've done my reading on the history of Israel, and really, this whole thing is sort of Britain's fault.

Okay, so basically, Britain, from 1921, kept trying to force equality in the region, which created resentment, both among the Jews and Arabs. Of course, it was the British Empire, so there wasn't really much to be done on that front, so the Arabs got pissed at the Jews, who were happy to be escaping genocides (Yes, genocides on the Jews occurred before, during, and after WWII). Then, somewhere along, Britain realizes they need the oil that the Arabs have, and start backing the Arabs more. Some conflicts break out, with the Arabs taking advantage of the situation to try and get rid of the problem, Israel fights back.

As to 1948, what happened is that Britain's parcel had been turned over to the United Nations. Now, importantly, I haven't called it Israel or Palestine up to his point, because they didn't exist. The area had been a region of the kingdom of Syria previously, but got taken by the Allies during WWI. Now, at this point, the United Nations put forth a two-states partition that would create a Jewish state, and an Arab state. While the Jews were thrilled, the Arabs rejected it, and new fighting would break out as Israel held off attacks from the Arab nations surrounding. It was during this conflict that Israel first expanded its borders, by taking the territory of their attackers within the now recognized State of Israel.

Most the rest of the conflict, basically, breaks down to several things:

A broken cease-fire against Israel (This one seems to be the most popular)

Israel going into a joint military operation with Britain and France for the Suez Canal (Egypt had tried to snatch it out from under Britain and France, and Egypt's blockades were disrupting Israel's trade).

Now, as to the Gaza Strip, it's only period of self-governance started in 1994, when Israel gave it up. Prior to that, it's been owned by Israel, Egypt, Britain, the UN, and the Ottomans. Israel took it back because they were getting shot at by the Gazans, and decided they were too happy with the people they granted freedom to trying to murder them.

Then, since 2007, Hamas has been running things in Gaza.

Essentially, this whole thing's a massive cluster fuck, but I'm not seeing where this comes down on Israel.

Jeff
08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
So, everyone's been screaming back and forth about the whole Israel/Palestine conflict, and, of course, people keep saying it's Israel's fault because of 1948. So I've done my reading on the history of Israel, and really, this whole thing is sort of Britain's fault.

Okay, so basically, Britain, from 1921, kept trying to force equality in the region, which created resentment, both among the Jews and Arabs. Of course, it was the British Empire, so there wasn't really much to be done on that front, so the Arabs got pissed at the Jews, who were happy to be escaping genocides (Yes, genocides on the Jews occurred before, during, and after WWII). Then, somewhere along, Britain realizes they need the oil that the Arabs have, and start backing the Arabs more. Some conflicts break out, with the Arabs taking advantage of the situation to try and get rid of the problem, Israel fights back.

As to 1948, what happened is that Britain's parcel had been turned over to the United Nations. Now, importantly, I haven't called it Israel or Palestine up to his point, because they didn't exist. The area had been a region of the kingdom of Syria previously, but got taken by the Allies during WWI. Now, at this point, the United Nations put forth a two-states partition that would create a Jewish state, and an Arab state. While the Jews were thrilled, the Arabs rejected it, and new fighting would break out as Israel held off attacks from the Arab nations surrounding. It was during this conflict that Israel first expanded its borders, by taking the territory of their attackers within the now recognized State of Israel.

Israel going into a joint military operation with Britain and France for the Suez Canal (Egypt had tried to snatch it out from under Britain and France, and Egypt's blockades were disrupting Israel's trade).

Now, as to the Gaza Strip, it's only period of self-governance started in 1994, when Israel gave it up. Prior to that, it's been owned by Israel, Egypt, Britain, the UN, and the Ottomans. Israel took it back because they were getting shot at by the Gazans, and decided they were too happy with the people they granted freedom to trying to murder them.

Essentially, this whole thing's a massive cluster fuck, but I'm not seeing where this comes down on Israel.

Great post and thank you Dragon, yes I like many am to lazy to research it, when ya do it actually looks like no one knows who, why or what started things, but your explanation is the best I have seen !!!

Kathianne
08-03-2014, 09:01 PM
I understand that the history gets confusing, I think it's easy enough to say that the issues go back way before the 1920's.

One thing that should be noted is that the two so called 'world wars' had far reaching impact, far beyond who 'won' and 'lost.'

DragonStryk72
08-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Great post and thank you Dragon, yes I like many am to lazy to research it, when ya do it actually looks like no one knows who, why or what started things, but your explanation is the best I have seen !!!

Yeah, it's pretty much been a giant cluster fuck for a long time, so everyone trying to say that this side or that side "started" it just don't understand the history. So basically, I'll be going by how the conflict is going nowadays, and really, it's on Israel's side. Hamas is trying to ethnically cleanse them from the ME. Not "get them to leave", but "Kill every man, woman, and child".

As well, Israel is the only location in the ME with Freedom of Religion, and free democratic elections. Heck, a lot of Arabs, including those of Palestinian descent, are able to get into office in Israel.

aboutime
08-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it's pretty much been a giant cluster fuck for a long time, so everyone trying to say that this side or that side "started" it just don't understand the history. So basically, I'll be going by how the conflict is going nowadays, and really, it's on Israel's side. Hamas is trying to ethnically cleanse them from the ME. Not "get them to leave", but "Kill every man, woman, and child".

As well, Israel is the only location in the ME with Freedom of Religion, and free democratic elections. Heck, a lot of Arabs, including those of Palestinian descent, are able to get into office in Israel.

Dragon. Also, something that the Worldwide, Partisan, ANTI-JEW press, and the U.N. always seem to ignore is how there are Large numbers of Arab people who live in Israel, and with whom the Israeli's protect, just as vigorously as the Israeli people.

Hamas, and the rest of the Jew haters around the World never want to mention such things because it makes them look EVEN WORSE to the people in Gaza who are the Human Shields for Hamas.

Drummond
08-04-2014, 05:47 PM

A very fair description. And it's 'sort of Britain's fault' is something I can accept. Bearing in mind the Balfour Declaration and its kindly consideration to non-Jews in the region, Attlee led a hard-Left Labour Government at the time this was all referred across to the UN. His Government pursued particularly hard-Left policies at home and abroad, and was characteristic for its drive to break up the then-British Empire. That they'd also want to get shot of the Israel / Palestine issue was no less than typical of their mindset ... in any case, sensibilities of the time viewed the British attitude as pro-Arab (.. as you say).

So, our Lefties were at their small-minded, cop-out 'best' back in 1948.

DragonStryk72
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Dragon. Also, something that the Worldwide, Partisan, ANTI-JEW press, and the U.N. always seem to ignore is how there are Large numbers of Arab people who live in Israel, and with whom the Israeli's protect, just as vigorously as the Israeli people.

Hamas, and the rest of the Jew haters around the World never want to mention such things because it makes them look EVEN WORSE to the people in Gaza who are the Human Shields for Hamas.

Actually, that's not even the full picture. There are actually people of Palestinian, and other Arab descents, that were elected/appointed to office in the Israeli government.

NightTrain
08-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Nice summary, Dragon.

One thing that should be mentioned, though, is the reason why the surrounding Arabs still maintain their hatred for the Jews.

During the Cold War, the Soviet Union used the Middle East theatre to apply pressure on America by keeping the Arabs whipped up. They'd buy an Arab politician who would incense their peasants and keep the flames of hatred alive & growing.

Both the '67 and '73 wars had Moscow's fingerprints all over them, and it was a good area to test out the latest Soviet hardware against NATO's hardware without direct confrontation. When Egypt expelled the Soviet advisers is when their war went horribly wrong for them - their General's experience was political, not from proper military service.

Now Moscow's monster is self-sustaining and no one knows where the kill switch is. There's been generations of arabs growing up learning hatred for Jews and they don't know any other way. Even the well educated ones still subscribe to the 'Kill All Jews' philosophy they were indoctrinated with from birth.