PDA

View Full Version : The Awesome of Nature and the danger

SassyLady
08-04-2014, 03:18 AM
I've been watching several videos of ice calving and find it fascinating. Came across this one and there is a lesson of survival to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Jcjl0mUqI

SassyLady
08-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Here's another one. I'm just watching and had a moment of panic!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8qoggxWVg

SassyLady
08-04-2014, 03:26 AM
One more ..... good part at 2 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYKuS0DqNY

Jeff
08-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Pretty cool to watch here on a video, but to sit and watch old ice fall just doesn't do anything for me :laugh:

But all 3 videos have one thing in common, IDIOTS yes they all shouldn't be so close, the first video folks actually got hurt , the second the boat beat it and the third the guy is is screaming about here comes the tsunami , so even though he was joking he must of realized if a big enough piece feel they where way to close.

tailfins
08-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Pretty cool to watch here on a video, but to sit and watch old ice fall just doesn't do anything for me :laugh:

But all 3 videos have one thing in common, IDIOTS yes they all shouldn't be so close, the first video folks actually got hurt , the second the boat beat it and the third the guy is is screaming about here comes the tsunami , so even though he was joking he must of realized if a big enough piece feel they where way to close.

They are such a thing of beauty and size that there's no substitute for experiencing them first hand. It's easy to be drawn in too close. The temptation to climb on an iceberg when you see it is strong. I settled for grabbing a "bergie bit" out of the water which was about the size of a coffee can.

Jeff
08-04-2014, 02:04 PM
They are such a thing of beauty and size that there's no substitute for experiencing them first hand. It's easy to be drawn in too close. The temptation to climb on an iceberg when you see it is strong. I settled for grabbing a "bergie bit" out of the water which was about the size of a coffee can.

Unfortunately TF I haven't had the experience of even seeing one in person ( I truly would love to ) but having never seen one in person I still feel if it was dropping pieces big enough to cause harm I would keep a good distance ( but who knows, this is one of them things that ya had to be there )

tailfins
08-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately TF I haven't had the experience of even seeing one in person ( I truly would love to ) but having never seen one in person I still feel if it was dropping pieces big enough to cause harm I would keep a good distance ( but who knows, this is one of them things that ya had to be there )

If you like offroading and you like icebergs, I recommend the stretch of Route 430 between St. Barbe and St. Anthony, NL in the last half of June. The RCMP is totally cool with you driving on public land between the road and the water. However, you still get a good view of the icebergs from the blacktop.

See link to map below, zoom OUT if necessary:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2090999,-56.3855699,9z

aboutime
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
There is NOTHING unusual about anything being shown in the video's. Before everyone had access to the Internet, the 24 hour news cycle on Cable, and the millions of cellphone camera's being used by millions of people to record everyday stuff...before all of this new High Tech awareness....IT WAS HAPPENING, but nobody was there to see, or record it.

In 1981. I was aboard a Navy ship going through the Straits of Magellan at the tip of South America. During that one day journey. We stopped long enough to see a huge Glacier that ALSO had falling ice, much like what was shown in the video.

The difference is. Back then. Nobody had a cellphone with a camera, and the video recorders in use back then were VERY expensive, and limited to few people.

THE EARTH HAS BEEN DOING THIS KIND OF STUFF FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS, and...IT WILL CONTINUE FOR MILLIONS MORE...no matter what AL GORE, or the EPA convince the Perpetually STUPID to believe.

SassyLady
08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes, AT,

there is NOTHING unusual about glaciers calving, and yes, we know that IT WAS HAPPENING and yes, we know THE EARTH HAS BEEN DOING THIS KIND OF STUFF FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS.

Anyone with an iota of intelligence knows this, therefore, there is no need for you to shout it at us as if we are idiots.

I just wanted to share the AWESOMENESS of it because I like it.

I'm glad you were able to see it up and close and personal on your Navy ship. I, for one, am happy someone is recording these events because it's probably as close as I'll ever get to one.

tailfins
08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes, AT,

there is NOTHING unusual about glaciers calving, and yes, we know that IT WAS HAPPENING and yes, we know THE EARTH HAS BEEN DOING THIS KIND OF STUFF FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS.

Anyone with an iota of intelligence knows this, therefore, there is no need for you to shout it at us as if we are idiots.

I'm glad you were able to see it up and close and personal on your Navy ship. I, for one, am happy someone is recording these events because it's probably as close as I'll ever get to one.

It not a bad drive to see icebergs, really. It's nice road if you come through Newfoundland, but leaving the road using a 4x4 adds to the fun. Atlantic Canada will even haul your vehicle on the boat from Nova Scotia; the only drawback is that the food sucks on the boat during the 8 hour crossing.

aboutime
08-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Yes, AT,

My apologies Sassy. Sorry you took it that way.

SassyLady
08-05-2014, 01:31 AM
AT, I learned a long time ago that ALL CAPS on the internet is code for yelling. I would love to read more of your posts but it seems that you are always yelling so I have a tendency to pass them by ... just as I would if I saw someone on the street corner yelling all the time. I avoid that person.

So, when you responded to my post it felt like you were yelling.

Apology accepted.

:beer:

aboutime
08-05-2014, 01:57 PM
AT, I learned a long time ago that ALL CAPS on the internet is code for yelling. I would love to read more of your posts but it seems that you are always yelling so I have a tendency to pass them by ... just as I would if I saw someone on the street corner yelling all the time. I avoid that person.

So, when you responded to my post it felt like you were yelling.

Apology accepted.

:beer:

Thanks Sassy. For some reason I cannot explain. Using the CAPS...for me, is more of a tool to give Emphasis to what I am trying to get across. Since I intentionally avoid Political Correctness, and all of the little quirks of Twittering, Facebooking, and Email Courtesies that just drive me nuts. The CAPS have become my method of Rebellion...in my own way.

Never intended to offend, or insult you, or your posts. Guess all the years I spent in the military, where Most of us ALWAYS had to remain quiet, and were never permitted to voice our opinions...has finally come home to Roost (so to speak).

Thanks for the lesson in yelling. But even when I use CAPS....it still never seems LOUD enough for me. :)

SassyLady
08-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks Sassy. For some reason I cannot explain. Using the CAPS...for me, is more of a tool to give Emphasis to what I am trying to get across. Since I intentionally avoid Political Correctness, and all of the little quirks of Twittering, Facebooking, and Email Courtesies that just drive me nuts. The CAPS have become my method of Rebellion...in my own way.

Never intended to offend, or insult you, or your posts. Guess all the years I spent in the military, where Most of us ALWAYS had to remain quiet, and were never permitted to voice our opinions...has finally come home to Roost (so to speak).

Thanks for the lesson in yelling. But even when I use CAPS....it still never seems LOUD enough for me. :)

I totally understand, AT, about the emphasis thing. When I first started posting on message boards I used caps to emphasize my points also. However, when I got lambasted for yelling (I had no idea of the etiquette rules for internet posting) all the time I realized that the people I wanted to hear me were ignoring me. So, I started bolding, underlining, enlarging, using different colors, or italicizing those points I wanted to make sure everyone noticed. Sometimes I use all of these if something is really important. Any of these will catch the eye and bring attention to that part of your post. However, with this said, over emphasizing in every post is also a turn off.

So, bottom line is that you are a little "hellion" bent on "rebellion"? I hope you take this as a

:teasing:

but don't you think you can type faster without doing the CAPS LOCK thing? Imagine how much more you can say if you didn't have to take the time while typing. :poke:

aboutime
08-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I totally understand, AT, about the emphasis thing. When I first started posting on message boards I used caps to emphasize my points also. However, when I got lambasted for yelling (I had no idea of the etiquette rules for internet posting) all the time I realized that the people I wanted to hear me were ignoring me. So, I started bolding, underlining, enlarging, using different colors, or italicizing those points I wanted to make sure everyone noticed. Sometimes I use all of these if something is really important. Any of these will catch the eye and bring attention to that part of your post. However, with this said, over emphasizing in every post is also a turn off.

So, bottom line is that you are a little "hellion" bent on "rebellion"? I hope you take this as a

:teasing:

but don't you think you can type faster without doing the CAPS LOCK thing? Imagine how much more you can say if you didn't have to take the time while typing. :poke:

Point well taken Sassy. And typing has never been my problem. The navy taught me to get away from the HUNT and PECK, and I completed the Navy A school by typing SIXTY WPM. I've slowed down quite a bit. But half that isn't bad these days. The HOME ROW is like swimming, bike riding, and sex.:laugh::laugh:

SassyLady
08-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Point well taken Sassy. And typing has never been my problem. The navy taught me to get away from the HUNT and PECK, and I completed the Navy A school by typing SIXTY WPM. I've slowed down quite a bit. But half that isn't bad these days. The HOME ROW is like swimming, bike riding, and sex.:laugh::laugh:

Well, I could really razz you about that 60 wpm....I average 85 wpm with 95% accuracy. I love to play Querty. It's a game where a soldier is being attacked by other soldiers, tanks, etc. Each bad guy is carrying a word. You only eliminate them and keep from being shot by typing in the word they are carrying. Definitely improves your speed and accuracy.

http://www.wordgames.com/qwerty-warriors-2.html

You might find you enjoy it.