PDA

View Full Version : James Brady dead

namvet
08-04-2014, 01:22 PM
James Brady, who served as White House press secretary under President Ronald Reagan and was badly wounded in the assassination attempt against Reagan in 1981, has died. He was 73.
Brady, later in life, became an active and outspoken advocate for gun control, and lobbied for stricter handgun and assault-weapon laws.
"Jim touched the lives of so many and has been a wonderful husband, father, friend and role model," his family said in a statement released Monday afternoon. "We are enormously proud of Jim's remarkable accomplishments -- before he was shot on the fateful day in 1981 while serving at the side of President Ronald Reagan and in the days, months and years that followed.
"Jim Brady's zest for life was apparent to all who knew him, and despite his injuries and the pain he endured every day, he used his humor, wit and charm to bring smiles to others and make the world a better place."
Brady was left permanently disabled after being shot in the head on March 30, 1981, by John Hinckley, Jr., outside the Washington Hilton Hotel.
He afterward undertook a personal crusade for gun control. A federal law requiring a background check on handgun buyers bears Brady's name, and The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is named in his honor.
Although Brady returned to the White House only briefly, he was allowed to keep the title of presidential press secretary and his White House salary until Reagan left office in January 1989.

link (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/04/james-brady-white-house-press-secretary-under-reagan-dies/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SAUGcMGBU

a day ill never forget

Kathianne
08-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Rip

Gaffer
08-04-2014, 02:05 PM
I was never a fan of Brady. His Bill is what inspired Charlton Heston's famous "from my dead hands" statement. It was the start of the gun grabbing efforts in this country. He was used or allowed himself to be used to take away our 2nd Amendment rights.

Jeff
08-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I disagree with some of his stances but the man devoted his life in doing what he felt was best for our Country

May He R.I.P.

namvet
08-04-2014, 04:09 PM
To: John Hinckley

My family and I wanted to drop you a short note to tell you how pleased we are with the great strides you are making in your recovery.. In our fine country’s spirit of understanding and forgiveness, we want you to know there is a nonpartisan consensus of compassion and forgiveness throughout.

The Reagan family and I want you to know that no grudge is borne against you for shooting President Reagan. We, above all, are aware of how the mental stress and pain could have driven you to such an act of desperation. We are confident that you will soon make a complete recovery and return to your family to join the world again as a healthy and productive young man.

Best wishes,
Nancy Reagan & Family

P.S. While you have been incarcerated, Barack Obama has been banging Jodie Foster like a screen door in a tornado. You might want to look into that.
---End Quote---

NightTrain
08-04-2014, 06:15 PM
He was a villain in my book.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm no fan of St. Ronald *praise be his name*, but it was really classy of him to keep Mr. Brady on as the official Press Secretary and only appoint others as "acting" or "deputy" secretary.

hjmick
08-06-2014, 10:41 AM
I disagree with some of his stances but the man devoted his life in doing what he felt was best for our Country

May He R.I.P.

He was a hell of a Press Secretary...

red state
08-06-2014, 04:38 PM
I was never a fan of Brady. His Bill is what inspired Charlton Heston's famous "from my dead hands" statement. It was the start of the gun grabbing efforts in this country. He was used or allowed himself to be used to take away our 2nd Amendment rights.

I certainly am no fan of anyone introducing or supporting anything that is nothing short of being ANTI-American with little to NO common sense. I suspect it was his vengful wife who fought for the anti-Constitution movement. Make no bones about it.....this movement was NEVER about guns but has always been about CONTROL. TOTAL control.

If he was a good father, husband and secretary......that's fine and to that I say RIP but if this character was the culprit and not his wife who trampled on the Constition, I believe the head trauma was too much for the ole boy in making RIGHT decisions or his wife made him some pitiful poster boy for such a campaign that has taken away much of our RIGHTS. Did this guy EVER introduce, support or shout with the passion he did over gun control as much as he should have concerning the insanity or criminal insane? To this end and all he (or his wife through him) was able to accomplish and encourage the left to do and continue to do, I say; GR!!!!! not RIP!

fj1200
08-07-2014, 09:05 AM
How dare he get shot in the head while working in the public service. :rolleyes:

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 09:12 AM
How dare he get shot in the head while working in the public service. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking he sorta earned his right to his opinion regarding gun control.

namvet
08-07-2014, 09:16 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zYGjS0vjimQ/TU2iqIqOksI/AAAAAAAAAyI/El98zYE2Kpw/s1600/achmed.jpg