PDA

View Full Version : How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 09:10 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&

Personally, I am accentless and have impeccable enunciation. However, I work with a woman who has a seriously strong Delaware accent. It makes my ears bleed because it's a nasally version of Fran Drescher after she sucked on a helium balloon.

Okay, I took the test and I have three similar cities: Newark, Yonkers and Philadelphia. :laugh:

jimnyc
08-07-2014, 09:19 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&

Personally, I am accentless and have impeccable enunciation. However, I work with a woman who has a seriously strong Delaware accent. It makes my ears bleed because it's a nasally version of Fran Drescher after she sucked on a helium balloon.

Okay, I took the test and I have three similar cities: Newark, Yonkers and Philadelphia. :laugh:

Taking test now... Yonkers is 10 minutes from me!!

jimnyc
08-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Yonkers, Newark, New York...

I grew up about 10-15 miles south of Newark
I worked in NYC and lived in Queens and now Westchester - all New York
I live 10 minutes from Yonkers

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Yonkers, Newark, New York...

I grew up about 10-15 miles south of Newark
I worked in NYC and lived in Queens and now Westchester - all New York
I live 10 minutes from Yonkers

I know I don't have a Newark or Yonkers accent. When I lived in New York, I was constantly being asked if I was from the south.

And Philadelphia? No way. I don't say "wooder" for "water" and I don't refer to the sportball team as "The Iggles." And I don't drop my g's as in "somethin" instead of "something." Although if I have to confess to not being perfect, I have a tendency to shove entire sentences into one word. I do say, "Immanna" when I mean, "I am going to." And "Jeet?" "No, Jew?" Translation: "Did you eat?" "No. Did you?"

Said1
08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Buffalo, Rochester :laugh2: And Vancouver, which is accurate having lived there,

jimnyc
08-07-2014, 09:38 AM
I know I don't have a Newark or Yonkers accent. When I lived in New York, I was constantly being asked if I was from the south.

And Philadelphia? No way. I don't say "wooder" for "water" and I don't refer to the sportball team as "The Iggles." And I don't drop my g's as in "somethin" instead of "something." Although if I have to confess to not being perfect, I have a tendency to shove entire sentences into one word. I do say, "Immanna" when I mean, "I am going to." And "Jeet?" "No, Jew?" Translation: "Did you eat?" "No. Did you?"

What part of NY did you live in?

I don't believe I have any type of accent either, but I suppose others with weird accents may disagree. I certainly don't have a NY accent like "New Yawk" or "fuggedaboutit". I do call the Eagles the "iggles" but only because I hate them fuckers!! :laugh:

jimnyc
08-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Buffalo, Rochester :laugh2: And Vancouver, which is accurate having lived there,

Were you in Vancouver in 1994?

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 09:43 AM
What part of NY did you live in?

I don't believe I have any type of accent either, but I suppose others with weird accents may disagree. I certainly don't have a NY accent like "New Yawk" or "fuggedaboutit". I do call the Eagles the "iggles" but only because I hate them fuckers!! :laugh:

I lived in Battery Park City and worked at the WTC in the early 90s. I was teased incessantly about how I said the words, "home" "phone" "coke" and "fuck"

Oh and I have a kid story: When my daughter was about 5, she came into my room and started talking with what was a pretty good New York accent. I asked her what she was doing and she said she was talking with a New York accent. I was trying to figure out where she would have heard the accent let alone pick up on it, so I asked, "Who do you know who talks like that?" She looked at me like I was the stupidest person on the planet and said, "People from New York."

tailfins
08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Mine came up with O'Fallon, Missouri, nine miles from where I was raised, but moved away from 23 years ago. The dead giveaway is ONE rotary with a sign that says ROTARY in capital letters. Rotary is generally a New England expression unless you often saw that sign in O'Fallon, Missouri.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Mine came up with O'Fallon, Missouri, nine miles from where I was raised, but moved away from 23 years ago. The dead giveaway is ONE rotary with a sign that says ROTARY in capital letters. Rotary is generally a New England expression unless you often saw that sign in O'Fallon, Missouri.
What's a "rotary?"

tailfins
08-07-2014, 10:29 AM
What's a "rotary?"

http://i.imgur.com/Mk3LaIN.jpg

Kathianne
08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Rockford, Aurora, and Milwaukee.

Your MapSee the pattern of your dialect in the map below. Three of the most similar cities are shown.
Least similar
Most similar

Show least similar (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=2&#)SHARE YOUR MAP:

Loading...<canvas id="simMap" width="972" height="515.1600000000001" viewbox="0 0 972 515.1600000000001" preserveaspectratio="xMidYMid"></canvas>

Rockford

Aurora

Milwaukee

These maps show your most distinctive answer for each of these cities.
ROCKFORDhttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/12/21/dialect-quiz/582816bf9f2e9e58453d58a06d96177bb092fb8a/imgs/img34.png

Do you pronounce cot and caught the same?
different

AURORAhttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/12/21/dialect-quiz/582816bf9f2e9e58453d58a06d96177bb092fb8a/imgs/img34.png

Do you pronounce cot and caught the same?
different

MILWAUKEEhttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/12/21/dialect-quiz/582816bf9f2e9e58453d58a06d96177bb092fb8a/imgs/img123.png

What do you call something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general)?
kitty-corner

Aurora is within 15 miles of where I've lived most of my life. LOL! Today I know what a 'round-about' is, though hadn't a clue until I moved to Sedona.

Abbey Marie
08-07-2014, 11:22 AM
New York, Yonkers, Jersey City. Pretty accurate, since I grew up in the Bronx, and lived in NYC. It's been years, but I think your childhood idioms stay with you.

And Lemon, about that Delaware comment...

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
And Lemon, about that Delaware comment...

Jes?

Abbey Marie
08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Jes?

Lol, funny that you singled out Delaware; have lived here in Delaware for many years.

The accent to which you refer is prevalent in what is called here "slower, lower" Delaware, i.e. the southern, farming part of the State. Northern Delaware sounds pretty much like surrounding Pennsylvania.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Lol, funny that you singled out Delaware; have lived here in Delaware for many years.

The accent to which you refer is prevalent in what is called here "slower, lower" Delaware, i.e. the southern, farming part of the State. Northern Delaware sounds pretty much like surrounding Pennsylvania.
Born and raised here - Yoodee grad at that. ;)

Aside from "wooder," Delawareans say the days of the week as follows: Mondee, Tuesdee, Wensdee, etc. Oh and many of them do not differentiate between the words "picture" and "pitcher."

Trigg
08-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Aurora, Toledo and Rockford

So I sound like a Midwesterner, which is good since I was born and raised here.

Doesn't everyone pronounce Mary, Merry and Marry the same???

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Aurora, Toledo and Rockford

So I sound like a Midwesterner, which is good since I was born and raised here.

Doesn't everyone pronounce Mary, Merry and Marry the same???
NOOOOOOO! And I don't pronounce the man's name "Harry" the same way as "Hairy" although almost everyone I know does.

on edit: Your avatar is hilarious.

Trigg
08-07-2014, 11:53 AM
NOOOOOOO! And I don't pronounce the man's name "Harry" the same way as "Hairy" although almost everyone I know does.

on edit: Your avatar is hilarious.

Thanks, my son found it for me :laugh:

Harry and Hairy are totally pronounced the same..:poke:

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Harry and Hairy are totally pronounced the same..:poke:

Lemon------->:slap:<--------your silly self.

nu-uh.

NightTrain
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Says most likely from Milwaukee, WI or Stockton, CA... Alaska is a close third, although how that was determined is a mystery.

Wisconsin is accurate because I was a young kid when we lived there before moving to AK and most of my family still lives there.

California is wrong, but since most people in AK are from the Lower 48, we have many borrowed terms from all over the country. Some are unique, like "Snowmachines" instead of "Snowmobiles" and a Riverboat is a high powered aluminum jet boat capable of running in a couple inches of water at 60 MPH instead of the stately Mississippi paddle wheelers from Mark Twain's day.

Oh, and Tailfins... it's Roundabout!

jimnyc
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Rotary? Roundabout? You guys are weirdos! It's just simply a traffic circle. Rotary is a type of telephone. Roundabout is a ride at the amusement park!! :lol: :coffee:

Kathianne
08-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Rotary? Roundabout? You guys are weirdos! It's just simply a traffic circle. Rotary is a type of telephone. Roundabout is a ride at the amusement park!! :lol: :coffee:

I must say the whole idea of traffic circle gives me goosebumps. Truly sucks when in mountains, like two things I hate driving through at once!

hjmick
08-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Apparently my many stops across the country broke the quiz. I couldn't get an answer...

NightTrain
08-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I must say the whole idea of traffic circle gives me goosebumps. Truly sucks when in mountains, like two things I hate driving through at once!

We've got them up here now. I was against those roundabouts at first, but they really do move traffic along much more efficiently than traffic lights.

The first one was installed in Anchorage at a particularly bad intersection about 10 years ago or so that was always horribly backed up. Now there's almost never a waiting line and I always sail right through. Everyone was pissing and moaning in the paper about that "stupid European idea" and now they're pretty popular once people got used to them.

fj1200
08-07-2014, 04:25 PM
The first one was installed in Anchorage at a particularly bad intersection about 10 years ago or so that was always horribly backed up. Now there's almost never a waiting line and I always sail right through. Everyone was pissing and moaning in the paper about that "stupid European idea" and now they're pretty popular once people got used to them.

If you think those are weird how about a diverging diamond intersection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY8xU-UAQWs

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Apparently my many stops across the country broke the quiz. I couldn't get an answer...
You're really a Russian spy whose able to appear as if he's from any region of the US, aren't you? I got your number, mister and I'm reporting you to the authorities!

NightTrain
08-07-2014, 04:34 PM

No bueno!

Another overpass above the existing 'cross' lanes would eliminate the traffic backup, combined with a yielding traffic pattern & acceleration lane for people coming from the lower highway to the middle level highway.

I can see lots of accidents happening with that design because people aren't used to switching to the left side there.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 04:35 PM

I don't think I know what that is.

fj1200
08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
No bueno!

Another overpass above the existing 'cross' lanes would eliminate the traffic backup, combined with a yielding traffic pattern & acceleration lane for people coming from the lower highway to the middle level highway.

I can see lots of accidents happening with that design because people aren't used to switching to the left side there.

Nothing new. They rejiggered what was there.

I don't think I know what that is.

It's funky is what it is but I haven't driven through it yet but I haven't heard that it has led to a traffic apocalypse so all's fine I guess.

hjmick
08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Stockton and Santa Rosa, California and Denver.

I have never been to any of those places.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Stockton and Santa Rosa, California and Denver.

I have never been to any of those places.
You were trained very well.

Said1
08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Were you in Vancouver in 1994?

No, I was back here by then, probably anxiously awaiting the release of Windows 95, since my beloved Flames were out.

That at was some riot, I could see that happening in Toronto ( hypothetically speaking or over another matter not related to the fking Maple Laffs).

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 06:17 PM
No, I was back here by then, probably anxiously awaiting the release of Windows 95, since my beloved Flames were out.

That at was some riot, I could see that happening in Toronto ( hypothetically speaking or over another matter not related to the fking Maple Laffs).
The maple leafs need to find a goal tender who can stop a beach ball! I'm sooooo running away right now! And I'm pretty fast for an old broad!

Said1
08-07-2014, 06:25 PM
The maple leafs need to find a goal tender who can stop a beach ball! I'm sooooo running away right now! And I'm pretty fast for an old broad!

Hold up. I don't think you'll find many Leaf fans in these parts. :laugh2:

I'm a Flames girl. I don't care how bad they do, it's more of a childhood thing. The rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary back in the day was a lot of fun when I was a kid. I still think Fleury is the cutest little shit and one of the best Canadian players, ever.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-07-2014, 06:47 PM

I'm a Flames girl. I don't care how bad they do, it's more of a childhood thing. The rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary back in the day was a lot of fun when I was a kid. I still think Fleury is the cutest little shit and one of the best Canadian players, ever.
Let's find some common ground here.
Can we agree that john vanbiesbrouk was the hottest player ever to lace up some Coopers? C'mon. Xx you know I'm right.

Jeff
08-08-2014, 12:59 AM

Born and raised in NJ, but I have been in the sunny south for the last 20 + years

Montgomery, Jackson and hell I forgot the 3rd but it was in the south :laugh:

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:09 AM
Tulsa, Littlerock and Lexington!

Dang, I thought I had rid myself of my southern heritage. Good to know that California living hasn't completely taken over.

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:14 AM

Exactly ...

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:20 AM
We've got them up here now. I was against those roundabouts at first, but they really do move traffic along much more efficiently than traffic lights.

I grew up in Bakersfield, CA (in 60's-70's) and our traffic circle was at the end of Chester Avenue, which was the street everyone cruised on the weekends. At the other end were some fast food restaurants ... favorites at the time were Taco Bell, Wienerschnitzel and A&W. I thought every town had one.

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:21 AM

I almost wanted to give you neg rep for that ... freaky complicated! :slap:

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Why does it seem I've landed on another board? Can't understand the conversation between Lemon and Said. It's like a foreign language!!!

:unsure:

SassyLady
08-08-2014, 03:35 AM
Born and raised in NJ, but I have been in the sunny south for the last 20 + years

Montgomery, Jackson and hell I forgot the 3rd but it was in the south :laugh:

No wonder we totally understand each other!!! Plus, I used to have a Harley.....well, I rode passenger on one ... but it ran away with the ex. Fickle bitch!

jimnyc
08-08-2014, 06:23 AM

So you knew what I was going to ask!! Hey, I waited a LONG time for that win, and apparently going to wait just as long for the next one!!

Sweet, a hockey fan? Favorite? Other sports?

All Canadian teams suck! Ok, just kidding. "HNIC" <---- I know someone who got in trouble for posting that on a friends locker <---- being accused of writing "head N WORD in charge" LOL

Let's find some common ground here.
Can we agree that john vanbiesbrouk was the hottest player ever to lace up some Coopers? C'mon. Xx you know I'm right.

Beezer was and should have remained a Ranger!! I went to a Rangers playoffs game, against Montreal somewhere between like 1986-89? The Rangers got killed in the series like 4-1 if I recall, but the game I went to was a shutout for Beezer at MSG!!

jimnyc
08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Why does it seem I've landed on another board? Can't understand the conversation between Lemon and Said. It's like a foreign language!!!

They're talking Canadian hockey and cute goalies :puke::puke::puke:

Jeff
08-08-2014, 07:19 AM
No wonder we totally understand each other!!! Plus, I used to have a Harley.....well, I rode passenger on one ... but it ran away with the ex. Fickle bitch!

Bastard !!! Take the Harley, Honestly most families when splitting fight over the house , kids ect... I already have a signed contract with the wife saying she can have everything I get the scooters :laugh:

fj1200
08-08-2014, 07:54 AM
It's like a foreign language!!!

Can-ah-dian is a foreign language ya' hoser.

Said1
08-08-2014, 03:09 PM
@ LGG: I'll give you that, very classy looking guy, but Fleury had that bastardish attitude I used to find really hot lol

@ Jim, I do get asked that a lot, but either way it was a very shocking thing to witness, even from 4000 miles away. Really sad moment in history, I mean who PREVENTS EMTS from helping someone? On the other hand, it's nice to sneer at the pretentious Vancouverites for a change (is that bad?). I'm sure your day will come again, it's not as if they're the Laffs or the Sens.

HNIC- the only time my father had total control of the television. Once you heard the theme song it was either sit there and stfu, or find something else to do in another room. :laugh2:

@ fj1200 sometimes, depends where you go. Like anywhere else, words and accents are part of the regional vernacular.

Nukeman
08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I got Fort Wayne, Rockford, and Grand Rapids. Funny thing is I grew up in Fort Wayne and live 20 miles outside of there.....

Kathianne
08-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I got Fort Wayne, Rockford, and Grand Rapids. Funny thing is I grew up in Fort Wayne and live 20 miles outside of there.....

LOL! We both got Rockford, likely we can converse! :laugh2:

fj1200
08-08-2014, 03:59 PM

I got those same ones I think. Not surprising being from SW MI.

Perianne
08-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Southern girl here.

Lexington, Little Rock, Chattanooga.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-08-2014, 07:04 PM
So you knew what I was going to ask!! Hey, I waited a LONG time for that win, and apparently going to wait just as long for the next one!!

Sweet, a hockey fan? Favorite? Other sports?

All Canadian teams suck! Ok, just kidding. "HNIC" <---- I know someone who got in trouble for posting that on a friends locker <---- being accused of writing "head N WORD in charge" LOL

Beezer was and should have remained a Ranger!! I went to a Rangers playoffs game, against Montreal somewhere between like 1986-89? The Rangers got killed in the series like 4-1 if I recall, but the game I went to was a shutout for Beezer at MSG!!
Flyers fan and season ticket holder on board. Crap! Is that a bannable offense?

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Southern girl here.

You can come sit by me. I'll defend you from these Yankees

gabosaurus
08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Flyers fan and season ticket holder on board. Crap! Is that a bannable offense?

No dear. That is the Rangers and Devils. :cool:
If you are a 76ers fan, I will ask to see your other bondage regalia.

SassyLady
08-09-2014, 02:33 AM
Bastard !!! Take the Harley, Honestly most families when splitting fight over the house , kids ect... I already have a signed contract with the wife saying she can have everything I get the scooters :laugh:

Kids were grown, he got one house, I got the other ... he got the Harley and Mercedes and I got the Yukon and the dogs!

:cheer5:

SassyLady
08-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Southern girl here.

Hey neighbor ... I got Lexington, Little Rock and Tulsa.

Funny thing is that I've lived in CA for over 50 years. I guess those first few formative years as a Texan stuck with me.

Perianne
08-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Hey neighbor ... I got Lexington, Little Rock and Tulsa.

Funny thing is that I've lived in CA for over 50 years. I guess those first few formative years as a Texan stuck with me.

I live in Lexington, so I suppose it fits me.

jimnyc
08-09-2014, 07:08 AM
I live in Lexington, so I suppose it fits me.

My Dad lives in Lexington.... South Carolina, that is!

Go Wildcats!!

Perianne
08-09-2014, 07:16 AM
My Dad lives in Lexington.... South Carolina, that is!

Go Wildcats!!

Go Wildcats indeed!

There used to be a big sign on the edge of the city that says "Lexington, Home of Perianne". They took it down after the Wildcats won their NCAA Championship in 2012.

:laugh:

jimnyc
08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Go Wildcats indeed!

There used to be a big sign on the edge of the city that says "Lexington, Home of Perianne". They took it down after the Wildcats won their NCAA Championship in 2012.

:laugh:

Nice try!! Speaking of which, I need to get me a Wildcats jersey. I don't have any hats either. I think I have them for all of my other favorite teams.

Perianne
08-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Nice try!! Speaking of which, I need to get me a Wildcats jersey. I don't have any hats either. I think I have them for all of my other favorite teams.

I would bet some serious money on the UK Wildcats winning it all this upcoming season.

Drummond
08-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I would bet some serious money on the UK Wildcats winning it all this upcoming season.

I don't think 'UK', here, means what I'd like to think it means (?). Nice thought, though.

Getting back to what I think was the point of the thread, I'd describe my accent as 'soft Cockney' (a bit less soft if I've had a few ..). I was born in north London, spent much of my life there .. moved east to SE Essex, where the people have a sort of broader, more strident form of Cockney accent (it's actually difficult to pinpoint the difference). Spent around 10 years there ... moved back to 'my roots' for three years, and now I've moved again, to Wales. I've been there just short of five years.

I take pride in not having picked up anything of the 'local' accent !

gabosaurus
08-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Speaking of which, my friend has lived in England for about five years and already has the lingo down. All this talk of nappies and prams and the English spelling of words. And her oldest daughter already has an England cricket outfit.

Manchester joke: Jesus turned down the Man U manager position, so they give it to his subordinate, Louis Van Gaal.

Drummond
08-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Speaking of which, my friend has lived in England for about five years and already has the lingo down. All this talk of nappies and prams and the English spelling of words. And her oldest daughter already has an England cricket outfit.

Manchester joke: Jesus turned down the Man U manager position, so they give it to his subordinate, Louis Van Gaal.

How about Cockney rhyming slang ? Presumably not, if we're talking about northern England .. but, you never know ..

English joke: The BBC is completely impartial.