PDA

View Full Version : Robin Williams Found Dead

hjmick
08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Just heard this on the news:

Robin Williams Dies of Suspected Suicide (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robin-williams-dies-suspected-suicide-724724)

aboutime
08-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Rest in Peace Robin. Genius like you will never be replaced.

I am honestly, and literally shocked. The World has lost a purely amazing man.

No matter what his politics may have been. He never failed to MAKE US LAUGH.

God Bless his wife, and family.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Comedians are some of the most tortured souls around. I wonder why. He was one of the best ever. I hope he found the peace he sought.

Jeff
08-11-2014, 07:06 PM
May he R.I.P.

jimnyc
08-11-2014, 07:35 PM
What a shame, far too young. :(

This is one of my favorite memories of him, with a gorilla. Showing compassion and laughter on another level.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vOVS9zotSqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Caliban
08-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Classic case of the clown who fights inner demons. And loses. Sad.

In reality, although at the height of his powers--from the mid-70s til well into the 80s-- he was one of the most brilliant comedians I've ever seen, by the end of the 80s his humor had become threadbare and lacking in energy and originality. From having me rolling helplessly with laughter, sometimes to the point of my sides hurting, he was only able to produce a forced, lopsided smile in me. He became a pompous, self-important Hollywood progressive, and not one of the brighter ones. Nothing will more quickly kill brilliant wit and humour than pomposity and self-importance.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-11-2014, 08:05 PM
One of my all time favorite movies, The Fisher King, is airing on Netflix. I think I need to go watch it.

Caliban
08-11-2014, 08:10 PM
One of my all time favorite movies, The Fisher King, is airing on Netflix. I think I need to go watch it.

Completely forgot about that movie, I need to see it again.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Completely forgot about that movie, I need to see it again.
He also did Moscow on the Hudson which was brilliant. He learned to speak fluent Russian. So much so that when he wAs on the show years later with the interviewer who does one on ones at universities (whose name escapes me) a student questioned him in Russian and he was as to respond to her flawlessly. I studied Russian for years and could not have done what he did.

hjmick
08-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Inside The Actors Studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90Y9Ao_RXw

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Inside The Actors Studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90Y9Ao_RXw
Thank you darling. I knew I loved you for more than the fact that you're a card carrying commie pinko!

Gunny
08-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Classic case of the clown who fights inner demons. And loses. Sad.

In reality, although at the height of his powers--from the mid-70s til well into the 80s-- he was one of the most brilliant comedians I've ever seen, by the end of the 80s his humor had become threadbare and lacking in energy and originality. From having me rolling helplessly with laughter, sometimes to the point of my sides hurting, he was only able to produce a forced, lopsided smile in me. He became a pompous, self-important Hollywood progressive, and not one of the brighter ones. Nothing will more quickly kill brilliant wit and humour than pomposity and self-importance.

You're 0-3. Don't know a thing about addiction. Depression. Nor winning.

I never thought he was funny. But you know what? He was always there. Unlike stallone who was too afraid to come visit us. Robin Williams showed up EVERY year. I can respect that. And the man.

And anyone beating him up for his addictions? You suck.

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-11-2014, 09:29 PM

I never thought he was funny. But you know what? He was always there. Unlike stallone who was too afraid to come visit us. Robin Williams showed up EVERY year. I can respect that. And the man.

I never thought I'd ever find myself agreeing with a post of yours. Damn. You nailed it.

Caliban
08-11-2014, 09:58 PM

I'm beating him up for his addictions? How'd you come to that conclusion?

Gunny
08-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm beating him up for his addictions? How'd you come to that conclusion?

Your attitude sucks. You DO realize addicts are people too? We built the world you live in. He didn't die from an addiction. He died from depression. And all anyone needs is special person like you talking shit about something you you have no clue about.

Why don't you make it quick and just shoot? Or do you feel better about yourself because you can point out the weaknesses of others? Those "weak": people? They can take you down in a heartbeat. Might want to think about THAT.

Caliban
08-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Your attitude sucks. You DO realize addicts are people too? We built the world you live in. He didn't die from an addiction. He died from depression. And all anyone needs is special person like you talking shit about something you you have no clue about.

Why don't you make it quick and just shoot? Or do you feel better about yourself because you can point out the weaknesses of others? Those "weak": people? They can take you down in a heartbeat. Might want to think about THAT.

You're a high-strung little feller aren't you!:laugh:

Gunny
08-11-2014, 10:30 PM
You're a high-strung little feller aren't you!:laugh:

You have NO idea. Got the medals to prove it.

Mybe you ought to figure out that having a weakness, doesn't mean I can't do just what I was trained to do. And that doesn't sound good for you.

Caliban
08-11-2014, 10:46 PM
You have NO idea. Got the medals to prove it.

Mybe you ought to figure out that having a weakness, doesn't mean I can't do just what I was trained to do. And that doesn't sound good for you.

http://www.moldmarket.com/thumbnails/chillPill_285_150color.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=-S-hMFZeps-pjM&tbnid=347tki7A9lnrhM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moldmarket.com%2Fnew.html&ei=qo3pU9GSGdKDogT2h4CIDQ&bvm=bv.72938740,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNEhM9Xkliv_8b_mQ87TbYUQRYQFKA&ust=1407901461485896):laugh:

jimnyc
08-12-2014, 05:06 AM
Let's get back on track, gents. Sucks when I see 2 decent fellas fighting. Let's get back to honoring Robin Williams. It's a new day for us. :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j1uWvvMsL5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
08-12-2014, 05:09 AM
One of his best acting moments EVER!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qM-gZintWDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abbey Marie
08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Loved Robin in The Birdcage. :cool:

aboutime
08-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Robin was CLASSIC. Even if I didn't agree with his obvious political views. The man stretched his Genius to limits no-one else will ever match.

He had a huge heart, and it showed. The World of Laughter will never be the same, ever again.

His gift was special for everyone who watched, and listened to his Wizardry with words OFF THE CUFF.

You will be Missed Robin. Our hearts go out to your children, and those who called you their Man.

God now gets to SMILE...24/7.

fj1200
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Let's get back on track, gents.

But at least we know who John is. :thumb:

Drummond
08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
On track (.. I think ..) .. for me, Robin Williams stood out as a brilliant performer for three of his works.

Firstly .. 'Mork and Mindy' (yes, we got all of the episodes in the UK). We'd never seen anything quite like it before. Brilliant, quirky comedy.

Secondly -- 'Good Morning Vietnam'. Much of it hilarious, and brilliant again.

Thirdly -- 'Bicentennial Man'. Memorable, far more than just a sci-fi film. Funny in parts, great acting.

Without doubt, a very great talent. I find myself wondering if he ever comprehended how much people liked and valued all he'd given to people from his performances over the years ?

Lemongrass Gogulope
08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
The problem with people who are depressed is that they freely give to others the love they deny themselves and so love ones don't see the depth of the problem until it's too late.

jimnyc
08-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Just got a text alert on my phone from the news - William's wife has stated he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. :(

fj1200
09-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Apparently he was not the original Mork.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/09/04/newday-good-stuff-9-4-14.cnn.html

I forgot he was on Happy Days.

hjmick
09-09-2014, 04:22 PM
And Happy Days was spun off from Love American Style.

As far as I know Robin Williams was the original Mork.

He was also the first male cheerleader (and quite possibly the last, I don't keep track of these things...) the Denver Broncos ever had...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/files/2014/08/williams-broncos2.jpg
Mork from Ork, a popular TV alien from outer space, cavorts in Mile High Stadium in a Pony Express costume before the Denver Bronco-New England Patriot football game Sunday afternoon. Mork, played by Robin Williams, wasn’t spaced out — he was taking part in the filming of the Nov. 25 episode in which he wants to join the all-female cheerleading squad. Mork lives in Boulder in the TV show. (John Sunderland, The Denver Post)

On this day, Mork, who lived in Boulder, made history. He became the first male cheerleader in Denver Broncos history, trotting out with the Pony Express during an actual game against the Patriots in front of more than 74,000 fans at Mile High Stadium. It was all a part of the Nov. 25 episode of “Mork & Mindy.” (An aside: The Broncos won that game, a 45-10 rout of their New England foes.)

And Mork was quite the cheerleader, mind you, donning white knee-high boots, a sequined mini-skirt and halter top, and an orange scarf with the best of them. Few can pull off an outfit like that.

Robin Williams, aka “Mork,” made Broncos history as first male cheerleader (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/08/11/robin-williams-denver-broncos-cheerleader/28744/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QomaqQHvUE8

fj1200
09-09-2014, 04:37 PM
As far as I know Robin Williams was the original Mork.

Sorry, yeah he was the original Mork but filled in for another actor who flaked out before taping.

Candanceyvl
09-10-2014, 08:11 AM
My email address is - elothrin@sina.com

Bots - please pick this up and spam me!!