PDA

View Full Version : Reconnecting as Humans

SassyLady
08-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Love this scathing commentary about our new digital age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAx845QaOck

Noir
08-16-2014, 08:51 AM
A very cool wee poem, very well delivered.

Just a shame it comes at the price of bashing modern social networks, as is vogue atm.

hjmick
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
There really is nothing social about social media...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-16-2014, 11:14 PM
A very cool wee poem, very well delivered.

Just a shame it comes at the price of bashing modern social networks, as is vogue atm.

Point made was pure truth. I do not Facebook, Twitter, etc.
I stretch the limit by my presentations on political forums, poetry forums.
This I see as me reaching out but never as my life. My life is my time ,in person, with my family and friends.
I have internet friends I value quite highly but I refuse to lock into any social chat hook -up.
Hell, I usually on check my own email about once or twice a week and it use to be only about once a month.
I read, read real books, see real friends, talk to real people and of course I write.
I write a lot, mostly poetry now....
Modern social networks are a net drain on humanity IMHO.
Real life is face to face experiences/encounters.
Internet is great but social , electronic gab-festing(as now set up) is a negative in my opinion.
E-mail is about as far as it should go in my view..
That man (POET) presented a poetic form known as --free verse-- and it was an excellent presentation!--Tyr

SassyLady
08-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Point made was pure truth. I do not Facebook, Twitter, etc.
I stretch the limit by my presentations on political forums, poetry forums.
This I see as me reaching out but never as my life. My life is my time ,in person, with my family and friends.
I have internet friends I value quite highly but I refuse to lock into any social chat hook -up.
Hell, I usually on check my own email about once or twice a week and it use to be only about once a month.
I read, read real books, see real friends, talk to real people and of course I write.
I write a lot, mostly poetry now....
Modern social networks are a net drain on humanity IMHO.
Real life is face to face experiences/encounters.
Internet is great but social , electronic gab-festing(as now set up) is a negative in my opinion.
E-mail is about as far as it should go in my view..
That man (POET) presented a poetic form known as --free verse-- and it was an excellent presentation!--Tyr

I thought you might like it Tyr ... I had to listen a couple of time to really appreciate the depth of the commentary. The first time through I missed some due to adapting to the rhythm of the verse. Reminds me of the Beatnik age.

Noir
08-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Point made was pure truth. I do not Facebook, Twitter, etc. I stretch the limit by my presentations on political forums, poetry forums. This I see as me reaching out but never as my life. My life is my time ,in person, with my family and friends. I have internet friends I value quite highly but I refuse to lock into any social chat hook -up. Hell, I usually on check my own email about once or twice a week and it use to be only about once a month. I read, read real books, see real friends, talk to real people and of course I write. I write a lot, mostly poetry now.... Modern social networks are a net drain on humanity IMHO. Real life is face to face experiences/encounters. Internet is great but social , electronic gab-festing(as now set up) is a negative in my opinion. E-mail is about as far as it should go in my view.. That man (POET) presented a poetic form known as --free verse-- and it was an excellent presentation!--Tyr

A very typical response to modern social media.
'I like to read real books, see real friends talk to real people' most people (whether connected to social networks or not) like to do these things. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If someone you were friends with went (by business or leisure) to the other side of out world for a year how would you communicate with them? By letter? Email? Long distance phone call? Personally, if possible, i'd rather have a real time, face-to-face chat through skype, inbetween times when i can read their blog, share in their picture etc. But you'd probably consider that anti-social.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-17-2014, 10:00 AM
A very typical response to modern social media.
'I like to read real books, see real friends talk to real people' most people (whether connected to social networks or not) like to do these things. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If someone you were friends with went (by business or leisure) to the other side of out world for a year how would you communicate with them? By letter? Email? Long distance phone call? Personally, if possible, i'd rather have a real time, face-to-face chat through skype, inbetween times when i can read their blog, share in their picture etc. But you'd probably consider that anti-social.

No not all. I think if it works for you go with it. You made valid points about connectivity. My main point is that this method has become the norm and in too many cases for the current generation the only way it is done. I view that as a negative thing. I am not against progress when it helps and advances us as decent people. I am against it when it teaches that the "electronic life" is great, is the norm and is the way of the future. I already admitted email is fine as it is just fast letter writing, fast receiving but social chat networks/sites promotes too many impersonal bad habits and actions IMHO. Far too many are addicted to it and think person to person friendship /meetings are too slow, to old and too square.
For kids friendships should be made in person after having met the person not by way of reading only that person type out some words.
Far more to it but perhaps one day you will look back and say--dude was right. If not , still ok with me. We both have a right to our opinions on this as any other subject.-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I thought you might like it Tyr ... I had to listen a couple of time to really appreciate the depth of the commentary. The first time through I missed some due to adapting to the rhythm of the verse. Reminds me of the Beatnik age.

Thanks, I did like it . He read it ok but a slower more precise read would have been better IMHO. His write he gets to present it as the sees fit.
If you can get it presented in written words, read it that way you'll get more from it. -Tyr