PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry indicted by Grand Jury

SassyLady
08-16-2014, 07:53 AM
I knew someone would find a way to keep Perry out of the 2016 race.

A Travis County grand jury Friday indicted Gov. Rick Perry (http://www.statesman.com/s/news/politics/rick-perry/) on two charges related to his effort last year to force District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg to resign after her drunken driving arrest.
Grand jurors charged Perry, 64, with abuse of official capacity, a first-degree felony, and coercion of a public servant, a third-degree felony. The first charge carries a punishment of 5-99 years and a fine of up to $10,000. The second charge is punishable by 2-10 years and a fine of up to $10,000.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/rick-perry-indicted-for-lehmberg-veto-threat/ng3zF/

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 10:15 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

It said a left-leaning group filed the complaint... I'd bet money that Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is behind it.

Most voters won't remember what the charges were or if they had any merit, only that there was some sort of criminal proceedings filed against that bad ol' Republican.

Abbey Marie
08-16-2014, 10:24 AM
This just makes me want to support him all the more.

Gunny
08-16-2014, 10:41 AM

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/rick-perry-indicted-for-lehmberg-veto-threat/ng3zF/

Is this the same moron that kept throwing shit against the wall to see if it would stick against Tom Delay?

Noir
08-16-2014, 10:41 AM
This just makes me want to support him all the more.

Supporting him in the assumption he's not found guilty? Or regardless?

jimnyc
08-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Curious, as I know where you are going with this... He's a citizen of the USA, no? So regardless whether he commits a crime... You supported citizens in Missouri breaking the law. Why is it that some laws can be ignored or disregarded, but not others? It shouldn't matter in the very slightest bit who is committing them.

If I'm off base, my apologies in advance.

Gunny
08-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Dude, I'm a Texan. And I don't like Rick Perry. Didn't y'all call him gay at one time? What are you afraid of? That he can lead? He's a damned good governor, whether or not I like him and this is one of the most prosperous states in the nation. And we don't need YOU. You need us.

Try thinking beyond knee-jerk political reaction. That might help.

Noir
08-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Curious, as I know where you are going with this... He's a citizen of the USA, no? So regardless whether he commits a crime... You supported citizens in Missouri breaking the law. Why is it that some laws can be ignored or disregarded, but not others? It shouldn't matter in the very slightest bit who is committing them. If I'm off base, my apologies in advance.

I just think there must be more to it, if being accused of a crime makes Abbey want to further support someone.

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 11:07 AM
I knew it!

-snip-

But the Democratic National Committee is already on the attack, much like it was when another potential 2016 GOP White House candidate, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie,

-snip-

On Saturday, DNC spokeswoman Lily Adams posted on Twitter a picture of a banner newspaper headline that read: “Perry Indicted for Veto Threat” underneath her tweet: “What Perry woke up to.”
The tweet was one of several on the DNC’s Twitter feed regarding the indictment.
The Texas Democratic Party has already called on Perry to resign, calling the situation "unbecoming" of a Texas governor.
"Governor Rick Perry has brought dishonor to his office, his family and the state of Texas. Texans deserve to have leaders that stand up for what is right and work to help families across Texas," party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa said in a statement.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/16/cruz-backs-perry-calls-indictment-highly-questionable-while-wash-dems-crank-up/

Yep, you can't tell me that the DNC and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz didn't plan, coordinate and execute this maneuver.

They pulled the same shit with Ted Stevens here in Alaska to grab his Senate seat.

Noir
08-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Dude, I'm a Texan. And I don't like Rick Perry. Didn't y'all call him gay at one time? What are you afraid of? That he can lead? He's a damned good governor, whether or not I like him and this is one of the most prosperous states in the nation. And we don't need YOU. You need us. Try thinking beyond knee-jerk political reaction. That might help.

I don't recall ever calling him gay, no.

Gunny
08-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I don't recall ever calling him gay, no.

The left-wing media did. I didn't say you did. Deflection noted and dismissed.

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Is this the same moron that kept throwing shit against the wall to see if it would stick against Tom Delay?

Yeah.

Perry originally said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after her arrest. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking out her tongue. Lehmberg faced pressure from other high-profile Republicans in addition to Perry to give up her post. Her blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit for driving.
Lehmberg served about half of her 45-day jail sentence but stayed in office, despite Perry's assertions that her behavior was inappropriate. The jail video led to an investigation of Lehmberg by a separate grand jury, which decided she should not be removed for official misconduct.
Her office is the same office that indicted U.S. Rep. Tom Delay as part of a finance probe.
No one disputes that Perry is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature, including part or all of the state budget.
However, the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion since he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.
Lehmberg oversees the office's public integrity unit, which investigates statewide allegations of corruption and political wrongdoing. Perry said he wouldn't allow Texas to fund the unit while Lehmberg remained in charge. He used his line-item veto power to remove funding for the unit from the Texas budget.

jimnyc
08-16-2014, 11:24 AM
I just think there must be more to it, if being accused of a crime makes Abbey want to further support someone.

I'm confident her reasoning isn't directly because he is accused of a crime - perhaps because of any implications surrounding what is happening? But I won't speak for her. But if I thought someone was being railroaded, I too might support them even more.

Abbey Marie
08-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Being hounded by the left does. Naughty Noir!

Gunny
08-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Yeah.

Same idiot, huh? He needs to be taken out back and one to the head, Left wing hack.

Travis county is probably the biggest hotbed of left wingnuts in this state.

Thunderknuckles
08-16-2014, 11:45 AM
What is getting lost in all of this is Perry's "victim". One Rosemary Lehmberg. A woman who heads the "Public Integrity Unit". Perry wanted her out after she was rightfully convicted of drinking and driving.
I can see why Perry would not want to fund the department of Public Integrity when it is led by a drunk that put's their own citizen's lives at risk through criminal behavior.
But hey, it's Perry that belongs in Jail right?

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Same idiot, huh? He needs to be taken out back and one to the head, Left wing hack.

Travis county is probably the biggest hotbed of left wingnuts in this state.

I was down in Texas about a year ago getting some specialized training in Corsicana. My instructors and the other Texans in the class had a huge amount of disgust for "those imported liberals down in Austin"... it was a universal attitude and they all literally got angry as they were giving examples of some of the stuff going on in Austin.

I was amused with my instructor's observation: "So, they fucked up their own State, California, couldn't stand it there anymore and came down to Texas to fuck up our State. They're also migrating to Colorado and fucking them up, too."

jimnyc
08-16-2014, 12:06 PM
What is getting lost in all of this is Perry's "victim". One Rosemary Lehmberg. A woman who heads the "Public Integrity Unit". Perry wanted her out after she was rightfully convicted of drinking and driving.
I can see why Perry would not want to fund the department of Public Integrity when it is led by a drunk that put's their own citizen's lives at risk through criminal behavior.
But hey, it's Perry that belongs in Jail right?

Oh shit, I had not really even read any of the stories yet, just a tad here and there, and I did not know this. Am I reading this correctly? She is the head of this group, and was convicted? I can kinda see where he went wrong, but if all of the above are true, this is crap and I'm stunned that they indicted. I suppose perhaps they have to follow the letter of the law, but I'm unsure they'll get the verdict they are seeking. But it might hurt future chances - and maybe some knew that.

Thunderknuckles
08-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Oh shit, I had not really even read any of the stories yet, just a tad here and there, and I did not know this. Am I reading this correctly? She is the head of this group, and was convicted? I can kinda see where he went wrong, but if all of the above are true, this is crap and I'm stunned that they indicted. I suppose perhaps they have to follow the letter of the law, but I'm unsure they'll get the verdict they are seeking. But it might hurt future chances - and maybe some knew that.
All of the above is true. You should NOT be surprised with the indictment considering where it emanated from: Travis County!! Home of the great city of Austin, (it really is a great city btw), and home to the most rabid Perry haters you can imagine. He's the devil incarnate to those folks.