PDA

View Full Version : "Learn to speak goddamn English!" says Gene Simmons

SassyLady
08-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Sometimes old rockers make perfect sense.

This week, KISS rocker Gene Simmons not only embraced assimilation and the importance of English for immigrants to succeed, he gave a textbook example of how to successfully--and forcefully--do so on hostile turf.He did so with no apologies--and plenty of compassion.
In an entertaining interview on HuffPost Live, (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/kiss-gene-simmons-immigrants-learn-goddamn-english_n_5669913.html) Simmons said he was "given all the advantages of native-born children" after coming to the country when he was eight years of age, which he said was "astonishing" compared to other nations.
Why? Because he learned "goddamn English" and embraced America's melting pot instead of separatism (salad bowl).
"I'm actually saying the thing that needs to be said because the politically correct climate is bullsh*t," Simmons said (http://www.eonline.com/news/568735/gene-simmons-advice-to-immigrants-learn-to-speak-goddamn-english). "You don't want to upset anybody by saying, 'Learn to speak goddamn English.' So, as an immigrant, I'm telling you: Learn to speak goddamn English. It is the key that will unlock the keys to the kingdom. If you make the effort, then all the possibilities of this culture will open up for you and give you all the rewards that I've gotten.
He said immigrants must "agree to one culture that we can all communicate with and then go off and speak Swahili and Farsi and whatever you want to talk.

“In America I’ve learned you have an inferred fiduciary duty to learn how to speak English,” he said. “Get rid of your accent. I did. Be a legal immigrant. I’m a legal immigrant. Come to the country, just buckle your knees a little bit, make the effort to learn the culture, assimilate to the point that you can, you are all proud of who you are and where you come from... great, whatever you are proud of, just tip your hat to America. which is the melting pot that makes it all possible."
More important than his message against political correctness, which Simmons said only prevents immigrants from succeeding, was how he did not back down from liberal host Ricky Camilleri. He even called him out on his biases and projection—and successfully used Arianna Huffington's life experiences to hammer home his point to the host, who was left speechless and stumbling for words.
When Camilleri said Simmons was treading down a dangerous path, Simmons did not relent.
“No it’s not. No it’s not. I'm actually saying the thing that needs to be said because the politically-correct climate is bullsh*t,” Simmons countered. “You don't want to upset anybody by saying, 'Learn to speak goddamn English.’ So, as an immigrant, I’m telling you: Learn to speak godddamn English. It is the key that will unlock the keys to the kingdom.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/08/14/Gene-Simmons-Wins-Argument-About-Importance-of-Speaking-Goddamn-English-That-Siri-Can-Understand

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 09:53 AM
I knew Simmons was smart, but I didn't know he was at that level.

He nailed it completely.

tailfins
08-16-2014, 10:11 AM
It's an attitude that shows low intelligence. I don't like it from Spanish nor English speakers. I was on a Miami bus asking how many stops to Kendall. He refused to answer. Figuring the City of Miami wouldn't hire a bus driver that doesn't speak English, I then said, "Como tu es burrito demas hablar Ingles, voy perguntar en Espanol". He answered in English. It takes two years for an intelligent person studying at least two hours a day to properly learn a language. Many of these people can't speak their own language properly and may be illiterate even in their own language. Being abusive to them makes YOU the ass. I agree we shouldn't let them in the country in the first place, and not give them residency in the second place. But treating them in an abusive manner serves no purpose. Some people are simply of low intelligence and will never be able to learn a second language.

Some people are just too stupid to learn a second language. I suspect Gene Simmons is one of those people.

Besides that, there are trailer parks full of people who speak English and don't amount to anything.

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Some people are just too stupid to learn a second language. I suspect Gene Simmons is one of those people.

Um, no.

Simmons speaks 5 languages fluently. Watch the interview, it's well worth it.

jimnyc
08-16-2014, 10:46 AM
I couldn't care less if others speak a second, third or 100 languages. I think that's cool, and it can be advantageous to know multiple languages. But if you come to live in the USA, you should know or learn how to speak English. Americans should not have to learn different languages in order to communicate with people in this country.

Thunderknuckles
08-16-2014, 12:13 PM
I watched that whole video. I was not disappointed. Simmons DESTROYED that guy. The reference to the Tower of Babel was so spot on in the context of that interview. Ultimately, the interviewer had to fall back on race card when he had nothing left to refute Simmons' pragmatism. Typical liberal progressive defense mechanism.

Thank you Sassy!

NightTrain
08-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I watched that whole video. I was not disappointed. Simmons DESTROYED that guy. The reference to the Tower of Babel was so spot on in the context of that interview. Ultimately, the interviewer had to fall back on race card when he had nothing left to refute Simmons' pragmatism. Typical liberal progressive defense mechanism.

Thank you Sassy!

Yep, and when the race card was played, Simmons shut him down and was right on the money.

tailfins
08-16-2014, 05:14 PM
I couldn't care less if others speak a second, third or 100 languages. I think that's cool, and it can be advantageous to know multiple languages. But if you come to live in the USA, you should know or learn how to speak English. Americans should not have to learn different languages in order to communicate with people in this country.

I didn't say Americans should. All I'm saying is there's no reason to be abusive towards the aliens. It's not their fault that a traitor let them into the country. Illiterates generally shouldn't be allowed to enter the USA in the first place. Those who don't speak English after a set time limit should be politely and respectfully deported in a dignified manner.

aboutime
08-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Yep, and when the race card was played, Simmons shut him down and was right on the money.

NightTrain. That is exactly right, and it echo's what I have been attempting to say here in the posts that reference RACIST accusations of any kind.

That is the ONE, ACCURATE METHOD used by those who are the accusers who claim to be Insulted when identified as racists. They use that technique of SHUTTING DOWN any, and all conversation related to, or about Race...by using the Racist, Race Card as their defense to CEASE.

Any objections...like Gene experienced with the interviewer...saying he didn't want to open that...usually brings a subtle end to the topic.

jimnyc
08-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Btw, HUGE "Kiss" fan here from back when "Love Gun" was out there! I remember going to Caldor's and Two Guys, both stores now gone, to buy the vinyl! Anyway, Simmons is an outspoken bastard, but that's one smart cookie there! He was always that way too. He's also quite generous. Maybe some may not like the way he worded things, but the message behind what he's saying is spot on. Let's face it, look at 99% of the successful people in America - well dressed, well spoken, great communicator... It's just frustrating at times, seeing half of America changing things in order to accommodate the many who don't want to learn the language. I understand that not everyone will speak English when they first come to America, but damn, at least give an effort once here. So because others refuse to learn, I have to see a million languages when I go out and sort through 99 menus when I call a company. Press 1 my ass.

aboutime
08-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Btw, HUGE "Kiss" fan here from back when "Love Gun" was out there! I remember going to Caldor's and Two Guys, both stores now gone, to buy the vinyl! Anyway, Simmons is an outspoken bastard, but that's one smart cookie there! He was always that way too. He's also quite generous. Maybe some may not like the way he worded things, but the message behind what he's saying is spot on. Let's face it, look at 99% of the successful people in America - well dressed, well spoken, great communicator... It's just frustrating at times, seeing half of America changing things in order to accommodate the many who don't want to learn the language. I understand that not everyone will speak English when they first come to America, but damn, at least give an effort once here. So because others refuse to learn, I have to see a million languages when I go out and sort through 99 menus when I call a company. Press 1 my ass.

Jim. What more proof do we all need? When was the last time any of us actually made a phone call, and haven't gotten

"Press 1 for Spanish, and 2 for English" Just to get to hear someone from India, or the Philippeans tell us we have DE WONG NUMBA!

SassyLady
08-17-2014, 01:13 AM
I love when he said .... "if Siri can't understand you, you're in trouble".

tailfins
08-17-2014, 05:57 AM

If you're using Siri, that means you're an iPhone user and YOU'RE in trouble.

jimnyc
08-17-2014, 07:13 AM

If you're using Siri, that means you're an iPhone user and YOU'RE in trouble.

I'm an Android user, I speak directly to Google. In fact, don't really need to even touch my phone - I just speak "ok google" and the phone wakes up and is waiting for a command. It almost always recognizes me, but I do change just a tad to make sure I speak good English. I do cut corners at times when speaking, and Google doesn't like my cursing. :)

SassyLady
08-18-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm an Android user, I speak directly to Google. In fact, don't really need to even touch my phone - I just speak "ok google" and the phone wakes up and is waiting for a command. It almost always recognizes me, but I do change just a tad to make sure I speak good English. I do cut corners at times when speaking, and Google doesn't like my cursing. :)

I use android also....used to have I5 phone and grew to hate it, and Siri, and apple. It's the only Apple product I own and daughter talked me into getting it so could facetime with kids. Not worth it.