PDA

View Full Version : Length of Life

Perianne
08-20-2014, 12:47 AM
How long do you hope to live?

Would you like to be immortal? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of being immortal?

As for me, I hope to live long enough to be able to have a few good years of retirement, but not so long as to be sick and feeble. Also, I do not want to live long enough to see my daughter get old.

Redrose
08-20-2014, 01:32 AM

Would you like to be immortal? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of being immortal?

As for me, I hope to live long enough to be able to have a few good years of retirement, but not so long as to be sick and feeble. Also, I do not want to live long enough to see my daughter get old.

No I would not like to be immortal. I agree with you, I want to go before I get really sick. My mom is 90 and almost blind with Macular. Too sad. I cared for my mother-in-law with Alzheimer's, for several months. It was horrible seeing her mind die a little more each day. At the end with hospice, she was a skeleton in a diaper and knew none of us.

I like the scene in Soylent Green, when he goes to the building to die. Very peaceful, dignified.

I'd like to go in my sleep like my dad did.

NightTrain
08-20-2014, 09:38 AM

For me that would depend on the quality of life.

Last year in Cordova, our crew were having lunch at a local restaurant when a waitress came up to me and asked me if I'd help the lady out, pointing to a woman that was 99 years old and heading to the door where there were a couple of steps to the sidewalk. She was accompanied by an 80 year old man (turns out that he was her son) and I helped them both into their van.

After I helped them out, the waitress thanked me and told me they both came there every Wednesday to have lunch together for the last 20 years. Their minds were sharp, but the bodies were getting frail - but they still enjoyed life and were cracking jokes on the way out. I admired them both.

tailfins
08-20-2014, 12:24 PM

My hope is to make it to 60. My dad lived to 54 and my sister recently died at 57. If I live to see my sons graduate college, that's good enough for me.

Redrose
08-20-2014, 01:53 PM
For me that would depend on the quality of life.

Last year in Cordova, our crew were having lunch at a local restaurant when a waitress came up to me and asked me if I'd help the lady out, pointing to a woman that was 99 years old and heading to the door where there were a couple of steps to the sidewalk. She was accompanied by an 80 year old man (turns out that he was her son) and I helped them both into their van.

After I helped them out, the waitress thanked me and told me they both came there every Wednesday to have lunch together for the last 20 years. Their minds were sharp, but the bodies were getting frail - but they still enjoyed life and were cracking jokes on the way out. I admired them both.

I agree with you. My ex father-in-law just passed, he was 95 and lived well. Died of natural causes after a pleasent dinner with friends. But my mom, her body is healthy, but lost her sight to macular degeneration, has no sense of smell or taste and is very deaf. She is in a senior residence. It costs me and my sister $4000 per month. She could live a long time, her sister is almost 98 and going strong. She made wedding gowns professionally for decades. She loved to sew and read. She can't do either. She's extremely depressed and wants to die. Very sad.

aboutime
08-20-2014, 03:37 PM

No Perianne. Thankfully. Being immortal isn't a possibility yet. Since I have been declared dead...twice. At 67, I count every new day as somewhat of a blessing that allows me to enjoy watching our six grand children to grow up.

I often find myself wondering how many more days, months, or years I have left to be a THORN in the side of people...all of us know, who lie, and are trying to destroy our nation for those grand children.

Truth is. I get really angry knowing...I WON'T KNOW when I take my last breath. Most of my life. I have always wanted to be in control of the way I live, where I live, and being choosy about WHO I spend my time with each day.

I can say. I know. There will be quite a few people who will be happy when I'm no longer able to PROVE they are Dishonest, and Just Plain STUPID.:laugh:

jimnyc
08-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Based on predictions I made when I was like 21, I only have about 4-5 more years to live! I thought for sure I would just party for like 30 years until I dropped dead. Dad always did tell me that a family would change things, and he was right!

I want to be able to live long enough to watch my son graduate college, get married and start a family. Then I want to die peacefully in bed, with the woman on one side, and my puppies with me on the other. :)

I would only want to be immortal if everyone else could do the same. Watching friends and loved ones die over and over would be too much for me.

hjmick
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty sure my birth certificate has an expiration date...

aboutime
08-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Based on predictions I made when I was like 21, I only have about 4-5 more years to live! I thought for sure I would just party for like 30 years until I dropped dead. Dad always did tell me that a family would change things, and he was right!

I want to be able to live long enough to watch my son graduate college, get married and start a family. Then I want to die peacefully in bed, with the woman on one side, and my puppies with me on the other. :)

I would only want to be immortal if everyone else could do the same. Watching friends and loved ones die over and over would be too much for me.

Jim. I didn't remember to include that in my post to Perianne, but...I agree with you. I am the LAST member of my family, and the oldest as well. It really does, kinda piss you off when you hear about friends, and famous people you grew up with, and watching. Knowing you outlived them, and like this forum...you become more alone, since nobody really knows you, and really could care less.
Getting older seems to be something for younger people to laugh at, and disrespect at the same time.
Few are willing to accept whatever wisdom, or learned, common sense you are willing to share. Since EVERYBODY is always smarter than everybody else???:laugh:

hjmick
08-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Growing old ain't for pussies...

aboutime
08-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Growing old ain't for pussies...

hjmick. Understood! That now explains where the expression about CATS having NINE LIVES....comes from?:lol::laugh:

SassyLady
08-21-2014, 02:46 AM
I have no wish to be immortal. I only want to live as long as my quality of life is desirable. Could be 10 years, could be 30 more. I play Pinochle at senior center with two women in late 90's and a man in his mid 80's. All of them are incredibly sharp minded and yet getting very frail in body. I look at them and wonder if I will be that mentally sharp and mobile for the next 30+ years.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would want immortality. For me, the main disadvantage would be seeing everyone I love die. The only advantage I can think of is being able to see where humanity ends up ... which could be a huge disadvantage if it continues on its current path.

There have been many times in my life that I woke up pissed off simply because I woke up. I can't imagine feeling this way for an eternity.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-21-2014, 10:04 AM
My hope is to make it to 60. My dad lived to 54 and my sister recently died at 57. If I live to see my sons graduate college, that's good enough for me.

Start hoping for more!! I made the big 60 this year in March! Trust me 60 isn't really old unless one is in bad health. I recovered from my hear attack at 57 and other than taking heart I meds am as strong as a gorilla. Worked hard to regain my strength and speed. As both have served me so well all of my life.
Hoss, do not set your goals so low. Shoot for a hundred !!
I do but will take gladly if only another 11 years as my son will be an adult by then. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree with you. My ex father-in-law just passed, he was 95 and lived well. Died of natural causes after a pleasent dinner with friends. But my mom, her body is healthy, but lost her sight to macular degeneration, has no sense of smell or taste and is very deaf. She is in a senior residence. It costs me and my sister $4000 per month. She could live a long time, her sister is almost 98 and going strong. She made wedding gowns professionally for decades. She loved to sew and read. She can't do either. She's extremely depressed and wants to die. Very sad.

Very sorry to read of this hardship you face with your mother. I too am facing hardship caring for my mom. She gets better then a few days later gets worse. Like A SEESAW IT IS.
It is a damn very tough road to travel but yes travel it we must for our parents never abandoned us . -Tyr

tailfins
08-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Start hoping for more!! I made the big 60 this year in March! Trust me 60 isn't really old unless one is in bad health. I recovered from my hear attack at 57 and other than taking heart I meds am as strong as a gorilla. Worked hard to regain my strength and speed. As both have served me so well all of my life.
Hoss, do not set your goals so low. Shoot for a hundred !!
I do but will take gladly if only another 11 years as my son will be an adult by then. -Tyr

And I hear you look like one too. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
08-21-2014, 03:53 PM
My plan is to see our daughter marry a great guy, enjoy a couple of grandkids for several years, then be raptured with my husband. I'd really prefer to skip the actual dying and burial part. I'm claustrophobic and have darkness and bug phobias.

Is that too much to ask? :cool:

aboutime
08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
My plan is to see our daughter marry a great guy, enjoy a couple of grandkids for several years, then be raptured with my husband. I'd really prefer to skip the actual dying and burial part. I'm claustrophobic and have darkness and bug phobias.

Abbey. Nothing wrong with that. Which begs the question. Do you sleep with your eyes open?:laugh:

Abbey Marie
08-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Abbey. Nothing wrong with that. Which begs the question. Do you sleep with your eyes open?:laugh:

Just one ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-21-2014, 09:29 PM
And I hear you look like one too. :laugh:

Yep, even been known to act like one much to the dismay of others that provoked me.
However , this gorilla doing just fine with a great beautiful wife and son.;)--Tyr

SassyLady
08-22-2014, 02:47 AM
I'd really prefer to skip the actual dying and burial part. I'm claustrophobic and have darkness and bug phobias.

Absolutely NOT!!! That's why I'm being cremated!!! No bugs crawling around inside my body! :unsure:

tailfins
08-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Absolutely NOT!!! That's why I'm being cremated!!! No bugs crawling around inside my body! :unsure:

My sister's sons had her cremated. The way they handled it was undignified. They just dumped her ashes at Hampton Beach. No obituary, no acknowledgement that she ever existed. It was totally shabby in my opinion. I put her in a virtual cemetery at FindAGrave.com to at least provide some dignity.