PDA

View Full Version : Coffee addiction

jimnyc
08-22-2014, 07:37 AM
So obviously I drink too much of it, and I fail at any attempt to drink less. I drink the K cups i my Keurig machine. When my brother was recently here, we drank 60 of the K cups in one week, and of course that was like a 65/35 in my favor! Lately, I've been drinking on average about 5 of them per day.

Then I slowly get shaky, and pacing, and even make poor decisions, I think from being so hyped up. And the more I drink it seems like the more I want.

And then I am shaky all day, in and out of the bathroom all day and even up a few times during the evening.

And then I wake up every morning and repeat the process! I suppose it could be worse, it could be crack! But it's still not healthy, especially considering my family has had prostate issues to begin with - and the doc will never ever get a chance to peek at that - ever again!

fj1200
08-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Remove the temptation. :slap:

Gaffer
08-22-2014, 08:03 AM
I don't even know what a K cup or a Keurig machine is. Are you drinking some exotic blend? Get a Mister Coffee maker and some Maxwell House. When the pots empty switch to something caffeine free or very little caffeine. You'll sleep better and piss less.

An enlarged prostate can be treated with pills and he doesn't have to examine it.

Gunny
08-22-2014, 08:07 AM
So obviously I drink too much of it, and I fail at any attempt to drink less. I drink the K cups i my Keurig machine. When my brother was recently here, we drank 60 of the K cups in one week, and of course that was like a 65/35 in my favor! Lately, I've been drinking on average about 5 of them per day.

Then I slowly get shaky, and pacing, and even make poor decisions, I think from being so hyped up. And the more I drink it seems like the more I want.

And then I am shaky all day, in and out of the bathroom all day and even up a few times during the evening.

And then I wake up every morning and repeat the process! I suppose it could be worse, it could be crack! But it's still not healthy, especially considering my family has had prostate issues to begin with - and the doc will never ever get a chance to peek at that - ever again!

LMAO. You're just determined to be addicted to something, huh? :laugh:

Move to South Texas. That'll cure you. From about April through Sept I won't touch the stuff. And I love it. When it's over 80 when you get up at 5AM, the last thing you want is something hot. During the winter, I'll drink several cups before work, and get two large coffees on the way.

And yeah, it makes me pretty whacky too.:laugh:

jimnyc
08-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Remove the temptation. :slap:

Impossible. Take away my K cups and I'll just hit D and D all day long. The only thing that will work is will power, which I have a shortage of at the moment.

I don't even know what a K cup or a Keurig machine is. Are you drinking some exotic blend? Get a Mister Coffee maker and some Maxwell House. When the pots empty switch to something caffeine free or very little caffeine. You'll sleep better and piss less.

An enlarged prostate can be treated with pills and he doesn't have to examine it.

It's one of those machines where you drop in a little round plastic thing, press a button and it spits out a single cup of coffee at a time. And the coffee I buy tastes awesome. Even the "Half/Half" tastes awesome, which is supposed to be half the caffeine, but gets me just as hyped. I just really need to switch the decaf after one regular.

I need to visit my doctor then. I'll take pills so long as he's willing to write the script. But he isn't sticking his oversized fingers near my ass ever again. They need to invent an xray type of machine that can do that without the agony. :)

jimnyc
08-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Move to South Texas. That'll cure you. From about April through Sept I won't touch the stuff. And I love it. When it's over 80 when you get up at 5AM, the last thing you want is something hot. During the winter, I'll drink several cups before work, and get two large coffees on the way.

I have an addictive personality. I'm also addicted to "Resource" water, which is a brand. Water, addicted to fucking water!

It don't matter if its Texas, Florida or NY - I'll just hibernate in my air conditioned room and drink the coffee! I'll just sweat that much more when I leave the house to mingle with the people in the real world! :lol:

fj1200
08-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Impossible. Take away my K cups and I'll just hit D and D all day long. The only thing that will work is will power, which I have a shortage of at the moment.

Baby steps. Make it harder to make coffee and if D & D is too accommodating just hold the next DP meet & greet there until your banned. :poke:

Gunny
08-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I have an addictive personality. I'm also addicted to "Resource" water, which is a brand. Water, addicted to fucking water!

It don't matter if its Texas, Florida or NY - I'll just hibernate in my air conditioned room and drink the coffee! I'll just sweat that much more when I leave the house to mingle with the people in the real world! :lol:

You KNOW I get the personality thing. Gatorade. I should own stock in that company. :laugh:

Gunny
08-22-2014, 08:26 AM

It's one of those machines where you drop in a little round plastic thing, press a button and it spits out a single cup of coffee at a time. And the coffee I buy tastes awesome. Even the "Half/Half" tastes awesome, which is supposed to be half the caffeine, but gets me just as hyped. I just really need to switch the decaf after one regular.

I need to visit my doctor then. I'll take pills so long as he's willing to write the script. But he isn't sticking his oversized fingers near my ass ever again. They need to invent an xray type of machine that can do that without the agony. :)

You need to just give this one up. You're going to explain a Keurig to Gaffer? Classic. If anyone has "Mr Coffee" stamped on his forehead ....:laugh:

Sir Evil
08-28-2014, 11:48 AM
So, can quit smoking which you liked but can't switch to decaf after first cup when you know it's going to make you feel like shit? lol, what a dumbass! :laugh2:

jimnyc
08-28-2014, 12:33 PM
So, can quit smoking which you liked but can't switch to decaf after first cup when you know it's going to make you feel like shit? lol, what a dumbass! :laugh2:

Yeah, but being hopped up on the caffeine feels good for awhile! But I know, I'll be cutting back real soon. Nevermind switching over, I just need to drink much, much less.

Gunny
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but being hopped up on the caffeine feels good for awhile! But I know, I'll be cutting back real soon. Nevermind switching over, I just need to drink much, much less.

Not for me. I can annoy Jesus hopped up on caffeine.:laugh:

Abbey Marie
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Uh...

http://www.agoosa.com/images/iced-coffee.jpg

Drummond
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM

I can really identify with this ....

For starters, I had to Google 'Keurig machine' to see what it was. It turned out to be much what I expected it to be.

I also discovered that, though I'd never heard of 'Keurig', they're trying to make inroads into the UK market. Saw ..

.. http://www.keurig.co.uk/home

... and it explained everything.

I don't know if you'd recognise these brand names in the US .. SENSEO .. TASSIMO .. NESPRESSO ? Looks to me like 'Keurig' is a 'Tassimo' equivalent.

Are coffee machines with those names known in the US, or do they have different names (.. like, 'Trac II' razor blade cartridges were our 'G II' blades, or your 'Atra' was our 'Contour') ?

In my case .. I've got a Nespresso machine, which produces various strengths of espresso coffee. Right now, I wouldn't be without it - I enjoy an industrial-strength cup of coffee to complete my day. The kind of coffee so thick, you think you can stand your spoon in it ...

Nespresso doesn't QUITE manage that quality, but it'll do until I find a superior equivalent.

Abbey Marie
08-28-2014, 02:54 PM

For starters, I had to Google 'Keurig machine' to see what it was. It turned out to be much what I expected it to be.

I also discovered that, though I'd never heard of 'Keurig', they're trying to make inroads into the UK market. Saw ..

I don't know if you'd recognise these brand names in the US .. SENSEO .. TASSIMO .. NESPRESSO ? Looks to me like 'Keurig' is a 'Tassimo' equivalent.

Are coffee machines with those names known in the US, or do they have different names (.. like, 'Trac II' razor blade cartridges were our 'G II' blades, or your 'Atra' was our 'Contour') ?

In my case .. I've got a Nespresso machine, which produces various strengths of espresso coffee. Right now, I wouldn't be without it - I enjoy an industrial-strength cup of coffee to complete my day. The kind of coffee so thick, you think you can stand your spoon in it ...

Nespresso doesn't QUITE manage that quality, but it'll do until I find a superior equivalent.

Yes, someone bought me a Senseo. Several years ago; it's still in the box.

Drummond
08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Yes, someone bought me a Senseo. Several years ago; it's still in the box.

Well, it might be worth trying out in the near future ? You don't want to get to the point where a machine, its capsules ditto, become an obsolete system, so that compatible (and preferred) refills for the coffee maker are hard to get ?

I'm guessing, though, that for really good quality coffee you need to move way past capsule systems altogether. I've this great memory of being in an Italian border town, on holiday (actually an Austrian holiday, but I strayed across the border .. 'as you do' ..) and being served with an Espresso in a coffee shop there. I swear .. the coffee was like treacle, with one hell of a bite to it. A highly distinctive taste to it, a mixture of the blend and its concentration.

I've never quite tasted coffee like it since. But I've hopes of reproducing it, someday ... with great regularity .... :coffee:

tailfins
08-28-2014, 05:37 PM

Every time you get tempted for a coffee, substitute a glass of orange juice.

Jeff
08-29-2014, 06:43 AM
I ran out of K cups yesterday and when the Ol Lady got home last night she left the bag with the K cups in her sisters car, so now I am drinking something that taste like monkey piss ( no I have not ever actually tried it ) don't ever think you can put regular coffee into a used K cup and make it taste good, YUK !!! :puke:

jimnyc
08-29-2014, 06:58 AM
I ran out of K cups yesterday and when the Ol Lady got home last night she left the bag with the K cups in her sisters car, so now I am drinking something that taste like monkey piss ( no I have not ever actually tried it ) don't ever think you can put regular coffee into a used K cup and make it taste good, YUK !!! :puke:

I woke up this morn and had ZERO coffee - BUT - I had a box of British Tea in the form of k cups. I had a double to get me started and didn't care much for it, too different when you're expecting coffee. So needless to say, I just got back from Stop and Shop and buying another 3 boxes of the good stuff!! :)

jimnyc
08-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Back when I was working at Cadbury Schweppes, they had free coffee machines in every break room. It was commercial sized machines and the company provided free k-cups. Of course this didn't take me long to take advantage of! Once fully hooked, of course I took down the name to see what it would cost to have a smaller version hooked up at home. To my delight I found out that they made machines for the home. Been drinking my "crack" ever since!

My aunt has both a Senseo and a Tassimo, and she uses the latter mostly. I can't say much, other than STRONG coffee, but that's likely what she buys and not the machine!

fj1200
08-29-2014, 08:08 AM

Try this?

http://www.amazon.com/Solofill-Refillable-Keurig-Single-Brewers/dp/B005K0L2U2

jimnyc
08-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Try this?

http://www.amazon.com/Solofill-Refillable-Keurig-Single-Brewers/dp/B005K0L2U2

I HAD to have one of those refillable suckers! What a pain in the ass! Putting the coffee in and brewing the cup is easy. But sometimes some of the grinds come through, and then you have to clean that thing after every cup, as well as inside the machine.

If you're not lazy like me, you can save a lot of money by putting your own coffee in! And Jeff, you can have mine if you want!!

fj1200
08-29-2014, 08:18 AM
I HAD to have one of those refillable suckers! What a pain in the ass! Putting the coffee in and brewing the cup is easy. But sometimes some of the grinds come through, and then you have to clean that thing after every cup, as well as inside the machine.

If you're not lazy like me, you can save a lot of money by putting your own coffee in! And Jeff, you can have mine if you want!!

There's always a catch. I don't need coffee that badly so I'll stick with what I have because I'm cheap and lazy when it comes to making coffee.

tailfins
08-29-2014, 08:43 AM

Don't let this talk about coffee fool you! Jim is interested in a different kind of K-Cup (assuming bra sizes go that high).

namvet
08-29-2014, 01:22 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/316tgko.jpg

gabosaurus
08-29-2014, 04:48 PM
No one in my immediate family has ever consumed coffee. Which leaves me at a loss to understand the coffee addiction of so many people, including the majority of my coworkers.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Heh. Gunny's got coffee this morning. :dev:

KitchenKitten99
09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Maybe the cost comparison will help you:

http://money.msn.com/frugal-living/post.aspx?post=9993572f-6247-4090-9b96-67ee4dd12a2a

While you may not be buying the brands listed in the article, if you do the math, it comes out to about the same.

emphases are mine

But while it may be cheaper than takeout, single-serve brew is considerably pricier than coffee by the pot or by the pound.

How much more expensive? It's hard to tell at first glance since pods are measured in grams rather than ounces. After doing the conversions on two brands -- 10-packs of Nespresso Arpeggio and 12-packs of Folgers Black Silk -- The Times (https://www.bing.com/search?q=times%20of%20london&filters=ufn%3a%22times%20of%20london%22+sid%3a%22c af348ce-fc6a-301a-2e2b-d6c052f12898%22&FORM=BWEMON) provided a jaw-dropping reveal: Consumers were paying $50 to $51 per pound.

But that was last year. I redid the math and guess what? The price went up.

The 10-pack of Arpeggio currently costs $6 on the Nespresso website, making the per-pound cost $54.43 per pound. What's really surprising is that a 10-pack of Arpeggio costs $13.73 on Amazon, which translates to an astonishing $124.55 per pound.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Maybe the cost comparison will help you:

http://money.msn.com/frugal-living/post.aspx?post=9993572f-6247-4090-9b96-67ee4dd12a2a

While you may not be buying the brands listed in the article, if you do the math, it comes out to about the same.

emphases are mine

Coffee is expensive.

NightTrain
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
French Press with quality coffee you buy in the 1-pound bags. The flavor is awesome. It's a bit more trouble than an automatic drip, but well worth it.

I refuse to buy Folgers or Hills Bros., or any of the mass produced coffee in the gallon tins... these days it's all filler and makes terrible coffee.

Life's too short for shitty coffee!

KitchenKitten99
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
French Press with quality coffee you buy in the 1-pound bags. The flavor is awesome. It's a bit more trouble than an automatic drip, but well worth it.

I refuse to buy Folgers or Hills Bros., or any of the mass produced coffee in the gallon tins... these days it's all filler and makes terrible coffee.

I love my french press. I almost cried when my old one broke, despite it being a mid-grade model. But then I splurged for a beautiful stainless steel Bodum, so my sadness was short-lived.

I find I drink less coffee and use less creamer when I use it.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 08:02 PM

I've gone for weeks on c-rat/MRE coffee. I can appreciate a good cup of Hills Bros. :)

NightTrain
09-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I've gone for weeks on c-rat/MRE coffee. I can appreciate a good cup of Hills Bros. :)

lol, it's all perspective, I suppose.

Try that French Press, Gunny. You'll thank me in your prayers.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 08:44 PM
lol, it's all perspective, I suppose.

Try that French Press, Gunny. You'll thank me in your prayers.

Dude, I can bing off the ceiling just as good from MRE packet in a canteen cup as I can the best thing you can get. :laugh: