PDA

View Full Version : Should we go ad free?

jimnyc
08-25-2014, 06:58 AM
About 2-3 weeks ago it appeared Adsense (advertising) came out with a new option, or so I believe. I've noticed some ads will auto refresh themselves and deliver a new ad every 20-30 seconds. At the bottom of the screen, which appears to never finish loading, you will see "... loading switchadhub...." or something like that, as it's in the midst of retrieving and delivering a new ad, sometimes on the top and other times the bottom.

I am contemplating getting rid of all ads. They don't exactly pay much, but in the end do in fact make up a few payments throughout the year. These ads are more geared towards the guests, and most of you probably have them blocked by now anyway! I know I have them blocked everywhere, except for here as I need to see them to maintain.

So should I 86 them altogether? Or is that the dumbest question of the year and you will all collectively say 'of course!' :)

jimnyc
08-25-2014, 07:09 AM
They have been removed. At the minimum, this is until I hear back from the big G about these ads and how to prevent them. I'll likely just leave them off. Having a way to offset some of the fees is nice, but if I were to see that URL for switchads just ONE more time...

* I reserve the right to place lame ads on the site once again in the future!

Perianne
08-25-2014, 07:19 AM
If I may ask....

How much does this site cost per month?

Gunny
08-25-2014, 07:28 AM
About 2-3 weeks ago it appeared Adsense (advertising) came out with a new option, or so I believe. I've noticed some ads will auto refresh themselves and deliver a new ad every 20-30 seconds. At the bottom of the screen, which appears to never finish loading, you will see "... loading switchadhub...." or something like that, as it's in the midst of retrieving and delivering a new ad, sometimes on the top and other times the bottom.

I am contemplating getting rid of all ads. They don't exactly pay much, but in the end do in fact make up a few payments throughout the year. These ads are more geared towards the guests, and most of you probably have them blocked by now anyway! I know I have them blocked everywhere, except for here as I need to see them to maintain.

So should I 86 them altogether? Or is that the dumbest question of the year and you will all collectively say 'of course!' :)

Of course. :)

I got 'em locked out anyway, but they can be annoying for those who don't.

jimnyc
08-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Of course. :)

I got 'em locked out anyway, but they can be annoying for those who don't.

Yeah, Adblocker Plus is awesome! I hate the ads too, but sometimes the extra $$ once every 6 months or so is nice!

jimnyc
08-25-2014, 07:46 AM
If I may ask....

How much does this site cost per month?

It's not that bad at all. It's like $20 per month to host the site. Then like $20 or 30 a year to keep her privately registered. The software itself was like $295, for the license? That means we own the license and get support for a specified amount of time. But that cost is not recurring, only the hosting fees continue forever. And the site domain I usually try and register for 2 years at a pop.

Considering what the ads bring in, it's just really not worth it if they become any hindrance at all. I don't mind the fees. If I didn't spend that per year, I would likely turn around and buy myself a new computer which would cost much more in one purchase! And probably some new speakers too. And the awesome mouse I've always wanted. And a color laser printer, as my stinky inkjet takes forever to print. And I want an external hard drive dock. So as you see, in a weird way, this is all saving me money! :beer:

Gunny
08-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Yeah, Adblocker Plus is awesome! I hate the ads too, but sometimes the extra $$ once every 6 months or so is nice!

This is/was my idea. You have contributing members. One of the perks for contributing is no ads. I DO understand the extra money thing and the advertising. And I've also experienced it being used at the obscene level. My personal choice would be the "happy medium" route.

Most people probably already know how to block them. But as you stated, them dragging can cause loading problems, blocked or not.

NightTrain
08-25-2014, 09:29 AM
I absolutely loathe advertising in any form - unless it's the .0001% that makes me laugh. I think I covered that in The Offensive Thread of Darin's a while back.

It wouldn't appear any different to me if you did or not... I already have all ads blocked. I did notice when I was checking the board on my phone that there were some really obnoxious flashy ads here on this site and I wondered if they'd give certain people seizures! I don't have that software on my phone.

I think everyone would love ad-free television, radio and internet but the reality is that someone has to pay for all the free content.

red state
08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
The ads never bothered me (via phone or laptop) but I can see where it could be a problem. I am a professional member at another site where they charge for membership and YET they force me to scan over ads (not a good thing if you pay already). Anyway, I often enjoy the ads cuz they seem to be cache based and present ads for products and trips that I had already been searching for. In fact, your ads (on my screen) update me on really good deals for cabins and such.

I have mentioned this before but if you were to charge for anything on the site, I'd develop a Buy/SALE section where professionals or hobbyists can connect. I know there is Craigslist and all but who trusts that any more. As far as charging.....you could set it up like Ebay *(which I LOVE) and charge only a fee when a transaction is made. Yes, folks could get around this and deal only with each other but most here would be honorable and I believe it could develop into something good. To charge folks to simply speak their mind every now and again would not be wise cuz there are too many other places to do so (like FB, IBD Editorials and even YouTube).

Ultimately, it is your site and you have a great deal in your arrangement as I pay a bit more than that for my PERSONAL site and business. Hope you get it worked out but I love the site (as is) and even with the ads. Actually, I didn't even notice this morning that you had removed them. WOW! Still, I personally like seeing items and places that I've had searches for.

~Michael

tailfins
08-25-2014, 10:35 AM
I thought the ads were hilarious. For example, if you call Greenpeace a bunch of Communists, you see ads asking you to donate to Greenpeace.

jimnyc
08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
This is/was my idea. You have contributing members. One of the perks for contributing is no ads. I DO understand the extra money thing and the advertising. And I've also experienced it being used at the obscene level. My personal choice would be the "happy medium" route.

Most people probably already know how to block them. But as you stated, them dragging can cause loading problems, blocked or not.

I'm just going to leave them off.

I absolutely loathe advertising in any form - unless it's the .0001% that makes me laugh. I think I covered that in The Offensive Thread of Darin's a while back.

It wouldn't appear any different to me if you did or not... I already have all ads blocked. I did notice when I was checking the board on my phone that there were some really obnoxious flashy ads here on this site and I wondered if they'd give certain people seizures! I don't have that software on my phone.

I think everyone would love ad-free television, radio and internet but the reality is that someone has to pay for all the free content.

Yeah, too many flash based and other fancy ads.

The ads never bothered me (via phone or laptop) but I can see where it could be a problem. I am a professional member at another site where they charge for membership and YET they force me to scan over ads (not a good thing if you pay already). Anyway, I often enjoy the ads cuz they seem to be cache based and present ads for products and trips that I had already been searching for. In fact, your ads (on my screen) update me on really good deals for cabins and such.

I have mentioned this before but if you were to charge for anything on the site, I'd develop a Buy/SALE section where professionals or hobbyists can connect. I know there is Craigslist and all but who trusts that any more. As far as charging.....you could set it up like Ebay *(which I LOVE) and charge only a fee when a transaction is made. Yes, folks could get around this and deal only with each other but most here would be honorable and I believe it could develop into something good. To charge folks to simply speak their mind every now and again would not be wise cuz there are too many other places to do so (like FB, IBD Editorials and even YouTube).

Ultimately, it is your site and you have a great deal in your arrangement as I pay a bit more than that for my PERSONAL site and business. Hope you get it worked out but I love the site (as is) and even with the ads. Actually, I didn't even notice this morning that you had removed them. WOW! Still, I personally like seeing items and places that I've had searches for.

~Michael

I thought the ads were hilarious. For example, if you call Greenpeace a bunch of Communists, you see ads asking you to donate to Greenpeace.

Well, at least the contextual advertising was working with you guys! That's how the ads here worked, it would deliver the ads based on the content on that particular page. Sometimes it would be way off and other times spot on. Sometimes its a pain. I bought something from Tigerdirect a few months back and the ads were then from Tigerdirect for like 2 weeks after that. :(

aboutime
08-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Jim. I have no problem with the ads. Yes, they do create cookies on the PC, and that's not a problem either. If it is a source of income for you here. Stick with it since your generosity is highly visible for all of us. I went online with HOME DEPOT last week, and the ads at the top of DP pages...are from HOME DEPOT

Stick with it Jim. And..THANKS.

Sir Evil
08-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Never really cared for this site so the ads are irrelevant..... :laugh:

gabosaurus
08-25-2014, 07:31 PM
DP has always been ad free to me. I have never once seen an ad here. :2up:

Abbey Marie
08-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Jim. I have no problem with the ads. Yes, they do create cookies on the PC, and that's not a problem either. If it is a source of income for you here. Stick with it since your generosity is highly visible for all of us. I went online with HOME DEPOT last week, and the ads at the top of DP pages...are from HOME DEPOT

Stick with it Jim. And..THANKS.

I agree with AT.

jimnyc
08-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys are cool about advertising and understanding. Still though, gonna leave it cleaned up without ads for now.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Never really cared for this site so the ads are irrelevant..... :laugh:

Didn't you come here to view the ads? :laugh2:

fj1200
08-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Didn't you come here to view the ads? :laugh2:

I was always amused by the ads for single-Muslim women. :laugh: Google needs to work on their algorithms.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
I was always amused by the ads for single-Muslim women. :laugh: Google needs to work on their algorithms.

Lol!

Ah, the mystery of what lies beneath that veil. Maybe they are onto something after all, even here.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Don't ask, too long of a story...

If anyone dislikes the ads, or finds them annoying in any way - install this plugin for your browser and almost every ad on every page you go to will disappear.

https://adblockplus.org/