PDA

View Full Version : Boat Drags

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Used to go to tons of boat drags and this sight is not uncommon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCN1zAVrZ0

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 03:38 AM
another view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubukX0ZgtI

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 03:40 AM
more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7ECD9xe7U

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 03:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipCd4e2f9U

Gunny
08-26-2014, 03:51 AM
Used to go to tons of boat drags and this sight is not uncommon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCN1zAVrZ0

Very redneck. :)

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Might be redneck ... but still takes tons of money to own and race one.

Here's our wanna be race boat.http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6321&stc=1

Jeff
08-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Very cool

I noticed all those wrecks had one ( well maybe more than one ) thing in common, God was at them all, each one had a woman saying either OOO God or OOO my God :laugh:

Same as when someone breaks into a atheist house, first thing they will do is say OOO my God please help :laugh:

gabosaurus
08-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Boat races? Or is this something different?
I prefer sailing, thank you.

Gunny
08-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Might be redneck ... but still takes tons of money to own and race one.

Here's our wanna be race boat.http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6321&stc=1

Can you ski behind that thing?

And trust me, the "redneck" thing was a compliment. If I didn't like rednecks, I'd have a REAL issue with myself.:laugh:

red state
08-26-2014, 03:14 PM
In that first video, It is a good thing he flipped when he did....otherwise, he would have hit that bridge in the background.

I have actually seen one of these bad mammy jammies, flip and land correctly enough to continue. In one of the videos, he almost made it (for a while anyway). They don't have brakes like cars do and once you are airborne, you can hope for a safe landing or wished you had even more speed to possibly complete a rotation. HA!!!

As for the Redneck....I believe that was originally a NORTHERN thing. Miners with RED bandannas. A Yankee thing (if you will) that has been adopted by Southerners (because the redneck of WV wouldn't back down from a fight and in doing what they thought was RIGHT for them and their families.

Gunny
08-26-2014, 03:20 PM
In that first video, It is a good thing he flipped when he did....otherwise, he would have hit that bridge in the background.

I have actually seen one of these bad mammy jammies, flip and land correctly enough to continue. In one of the videos, he almost made it (for a while anyway). They don't have brakes like cars do and once you are airborne, you can hope for a safe landing or wished you had even more speed to possibly complete a rotation. HA!!!

As for the Redneck....I believe that was originally a NORTHERN thing. Miners with RED bandannas. A Yankee thing (if you will) that has been adopted by Southerners (because the redneck of WV wouldn't back down from a fight and in doing what they thought was RIGHT for them and their families.

You are correct. The word has reversed itself from its original meaning. Union coal miners in West Virginia got into a bloody battle with non-union coal miners. The union coal miners wore the red bandanas, not the non-union ones. In essence, the lefties were the rednecks. When and how that term got turned into what anyone calls someone not from an urban sprawl, Southern, western or whatever, I don't know. But those lefty union folk are now the ones that disparage "rednecks" the most.

Weird how some words evolve.

I care if someone calls me a redneck like I care about being called a jarhead. I earned it, and it's who and what I am. And yes, I DO talk like a Texan. Cuz I'm one of them too. LOL

red state
08-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for that....I thought I had remembered that they were termed Rednecks and had fought the Law (or in the liberal's case, THE MAN). I simply worded it that they were fighting for what they thought was favorable towards their families welfare without knowing exact details. In shore, however, it is amazing how terms can be placed on those who had nothing to do with the initial use of the word.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-26-2014, 10:54 PM
You are correct. The word has reversed itself from its original meaning. Union coal miners in West Virginia got into a bloody battle with non-union coal miners. The union coal miners wore the red bandanas, not the non-union ones. In essence, the lefties were the rednecks. When and how that term got turned into what anyone calls someone not from an urban sprawl, Southern, western or whatever, I don't know. But those lefty union folk are now the ones that disparage "rednecks" the most.

Weird how some words evolve.

I care if someone calls me a redneck like I care about being called a jarhead. I earned it, and it's who and what I am. And yes, I DO talk like a Texan. Cuz I'm one of them too. LOL

Today Yankees call Southerners rednecks as an insult towards their intelligence primarily. Yet even here in the South , Southerners call "country folk" redneck as an insult to their intelligence and financial status!
Although almost always used as an insult I wear mine with pride because 1. I am very intelligent (wild crazy too) 2. I am not poor(not rich either, damn it) and 3. I can easily settle the matter when necessary if it is an insult and I choose to break like a twig the fool that called me one(been there ,done that , many times)!

Gonna be a Texan if Texas ever leaves the Union.... :beer:
Told my wife should that happen we are moving there as soon as possible!! She gave me that wide eyed stare like I am crazy..- :laugh:
She'll get it over, always has.. ;)--Tyr

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Very cool

I noticed all those wrecks had one ( well maybe more than one ) thing in common, God was at them all, each one had a woman saying either OOO God or OOO my God :laugh:

Same as when someone breaks into a atheist house, first thing they will do is say OOO my God please help :laugh:

That is weird Jeff, because I hear the men saying lots of things, some that shouldn't be repeated, but none calling upon God. :poke:

Prime example of how men and women communicate. :coffee:

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Can you ski behind that thing?

And trust me, the "redneck" thing was a compliment. If I didn't like rednecks, I'd have a REAL issue with myself.:laugh:

Yes you can ski behind it. It rode really low in the water with that monster engine. The guy we sold it to was watching fireworks on Bass Lake when a "tuna boat" when by and before he could get boat started and turned around, wave went over the transom and sunk the boat. However, that boat was a legend in the community so everyone pitched in and had salvage company raise it. Completely refurbished and hauled ass.

One of the reasons we sold it was only held four people (four adults actually because you couldn't have kids around the hot pipes). Had some kids so the toys had to go.

We used to go out to Lake Ming (Kern County) after work (in the 70's). I usually didn't want to get wet and mess up my hair so I'd jump start from the shore and then cruise up after the ride. Lake Ming is small so you can only go around in a circle one way and only two laps. After a couple of boats get out there the waves are so bad it's not worth it. We would show up just about 2 hours before dark when everyone else was going home and the lake would be like glass. Great for slalom skiing or barefoot skiing.

Lake Ming also had boat drags .... I used to stand on the ramp while they were warming motors up before launching ... you could literally feel your body vibrate from inside/out, top/bottom ... this is while motor running, hit the gas, back off, hit the gas, back off (wop, wop, wop)! Also, sitting on shore when dragsters went by .... noise/vibration felt like a bug going from one ear, through the brain and out the other ear.

Those were the good old days.

P.S. - I can probably out "redneck" you! My grandmother was a bootlegger ... I won't mention what the rest of the clan did.

SassyLady
08-26-2014, 11:26 PM

Born in Amarillo..... :cheer5:

Gunny
08-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks for that....I thought I had remembered that they were termed Rednecks and had fought the Law (or in the liberal's case, THE MAN). I simply worded it that they were fighting for what they thought was favorable towards their families welfare without knowing exact details. In shore, however, it is amazing how terms can be placed on those who had nothing to do with the initial use of the word.

The fought the "law" at the time which meant mine owners. Unions at the beginning had a purpose. The owners opposed unions because the union cost them money. They had to provide benefits for their workers. The "red necks" were actually the good guys. The non-union workers were thugs hired by the owners to break a strike.

How times have changed, huh? Now the thugs ARE the union in collusion with the owners. Everyone else is called a "scab".

So anyway, getting called a "redneck" nowadays to me is a compliment. And that's exactly how I meant it towards Sassy.

I'm STILL wondering if I can ski behind that boat ....