PDA

View Full Version : Instructor killed by 9-year-old girl firing Uzi

gabosaurus
08-26-2014, 04:44 PM
God Bless the Second Amendment. :boom2:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Instructor-dies-after-girl-fires-Uzi-at-Ariz-shooting-range-272748841.html

hjmick
08-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Nothing quite like making political hay out of an accident that has scarred a human being for life, right Gabs?

Just as classless as ever. Damn shame your money can't buy you some...

That being said...

An instructor whose abilities to instruct are certainly questionable is dead. With any luck at all, he has no family.

A nine-year-old scarred for life, her parent or parents will question their judgment for years to come.

A shooting range with no apparent age limit for automatic weapons. Certainly that should be looked in to...

Tragedy on many levels. Poor judgment all around.

Gunny
08-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Nothing quite like making political hay out of an accident that has scarred a human being for life, right Gabs?

Just as classless as ever. Damn shame your money can't buy you some...

That being said...

An instructor whose abilities to instruct are certainly questionable is dead. With any luck at all, he has no family.

A nine-year-old scarred for life, her parent or parents will question their judgment for years to come.

A shooting range with no apparent age limit for automatic weapons. Certainly that should be looked in to...

Tragedy on many levels. Poor judgment all around.

"Stuff" happens. Guess what happens when you're a TMI and a recruit drops an armed grenade? You jump through your ass FAST, or get get blown through it. I didn't bother watching the video nor responding until you did. The fact is, if you are a firearms instructor and YOU get shot, you suck.

I CAN say I have a bit of an issue with putting an UZI in the hands of a 9 years old. Bad judgement right there. Just to be clear, I'm not on the side of ANYONE attacking the 2nd Amendment. But I DO have common sense. Let's start with a BB gun or a single action .22.

I honestly don't see the point to having an UZI. To each his own. But I'm seeing recipe for disaster through bad judgement here.

hjmick
08-26-2014, 05:37 PM
"Stuff" happens. Guess what happens when you're a TMI and a recruit drops an armed grenade? You jump through your ass FAST, or get get blown through it. I didn't bother watching the video nor responding until you did. The fact is, if you are a firearms instructor and YOU get shot, you suck.

I CAN say I have a bit of an issue with putting an UZI in the hands of a 9 years old. Bad judgement right there. Just to be clear, I'm not on the side of ANYONE attacking the 2nd Amendment. But I DO have common sense. Let's start with a BB gun or a single action .22.

I honestly don't see the point to having an UZI. To each his own. But I'm seeing recipe for disaster through bad judgement here.

Yeah, when I first heard the story this afternoon, my first thought was, what kind of moron puts an Uzi in the hands of a nine-year-old child? What kind of moron allows said child to fire the Uzi without some help controlling it? And what were her parents thinking?

I believe the shooting range owns the Uzi, guests can rent it. They do it Vegas as well. I've always meant to try a Thompson...

Gunny
08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah, when I first heard the story this afternoon, my first thought was, what kind of moron puts an Uzi in the hands of a nine-year-old child? What kind of moron allows said child to fire the Uzi without some help controlling it? And what were her parents thinking?

I believe the shooting range owns the Uzi, guests can rent it. They do it Vegas as well. I've always meant to try a Thompson...

You're a grown man. You DO know Thompson's are .45 ACP right? Hold on.:laugh:

Like I said, bad judgement in my opinion. You don't hand a 9 years old an UZI. That is nothing but a killing machine. That's what it's designed to do.

hjmick
08-26-2014, 06:58 PM
You're a grown man. You DO know Thompson's are .45 ACP right? Hold on. :laugh:

So is my 1911. But I'm betting the Thompson has a bit more kick to it. Just a bit... :laugh:

NightTrain
08-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Funny you guys should mention a Thompson... I have a friend that's trying to sell one right now. Still in the packing crate, never been fired, .45 ACP with a 50-round drum and a 30 round clip. Steel receiver, not the aluminum one... military spec made during the Vietnam era. It's been downgraded to semi-auto so that you don't need the license to have it... real simple to make her full auto again though.

Never been fired, he wants $1400 for it.

NightTrain
08-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Behold!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6322&stc=1

hjmick
08-26-2014, 07:24 PM
The wife says I can't have $1,400.00...

<sad face>

gabosaurus
08-26-2014, 07:46 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. There is enough fault here to go around. The parents and the venue operators are equally at fault. Of course, the parents will be filing a huge lawsuit blaming the owners for manifesting their own stupidity and lack of judgment.

Jeff
08-26-2014, 08:11 PM
God Bless the Second Amendment. :boom2:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Instructor-dies-after-girl-fires-Uzi-at-Ariz-shooting-range-272748841.html

The Left will never let a good tragedy go to waste !!!

hjmick
08-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. There is enough fault here to go around. The parents and the venue operators are equally at fault. Of course, the parents will be filing a huge lawsuit blaming the owners for manifesting their own stupidity and lack of judgment.

They're from New Jersey, it's to be expected.

Oh, and damn you! You make it difficult to stay annoyed with you, and that's damn annoying...

Drummond
08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
The Left will never let a good tragedy go to waste !!!

... and, sure enough, they're not ....

The BBC has a proven capacity for 'just happening' to overlook stories, or aspects to stories, it doesn't much like. This story, however, made their mainstream domestic output, and has been a prominent item, for around 11 hours now.

Just one more story they'll use to try and drum home the message, here, that gun ownership is 'not a desirable thing'. As if our gun laws, and the climate that feeds it, aren't stringent enough already ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28948946

It's not that the coverage, so far, anyway, is particularly contentious. But its prominence is designed to fuel the likelihood of heated controversy.

tailfins
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
You're a grown man. You DO know Thompson's are .45 ACP right? Hold on.:laugh:

Like I said, bad judgement in my opinion. You don't hand a 9 years old an UZI. That is nothing but a killing machine. That's what it's designed to do.

A firing range in New Hampshire offered my youngest a machine gun to which he replied, "Any idiot can hit a target with that." He chose a Glock 9mm.

red state
08-28-2014, 10:15 PM
I started my boy with a home-made bow as soon as he could practically walk. When he was two, I got him his first bb gun (supervised of course). At age 3 or 4, I started letting him pop balloons with a 22. bolt action (at 30 yards). By the time he was 5, he had harvested his first deer (a doe). At age six, he took a six pt. buck. He has improved ever since but I could never get that boy to shoot a pistol (even though he has shot and taken deer with a 45/70.....which kicks like a darn mule!!! I've noticed that many kids who were brought up shooting, have a HIGH safety record and will often refuse to shoot some firearms. Partially because they know better and, of course, because they fear it (respect it). By the way, I had to trick my son in shooting the weapon he took his first two deer with. It was a brand new lefty Browning 30.06 stainless steel composite stock bolt action I told him that he'd been shooting so well that I got him a new super rifle like the old 22 for his hunt. Not really a lie since it was SUPER compared to the 30.06. (also a bolt action). HA! In the excitement, he never felt or noticed the kick (although there was very little kick out of our military load with 90 grain hollow points). When he was seven, he no longer needed to prop the gun off of the 2X4 safety rests in our permanent deer stands.

Having said all of this, in no way would have wanted him to or allowed him to shoot a full auto like that girl did. It is simply too much gun with too much that can happen. Besides, I couldn't have paid him to shoot it. What's strange about the boy (a soon to be 21 year old man in a few days) is that he has always wanted to and dreams of having a Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle. He's good.....I believe he could have been a sharp shooter in the military. Only problem is; he refuses to serve under this president and so do I. That last bit was for certain folks here who simply can't stand my bringing B.O. into the discussion. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Kathianne
08-28-2014, 10:50 PM

and like a true lefty you implied that the gun laws should be tightened, rather than dealing with the idiots.

So now is the time for all those in favor of the 2nd to show the positive side of what guns can do. Um like this:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

or this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/us/strict-chicago-gun-laws-cant-stem-fatal-shots.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Gunny
08-29-2014, 04:32 AM
I started my boy with a home-made bow as soon as he could practically walk. When he was two, I got him his first bb gun (supervised of course). At age 3 or 4, I started letting him pop balloons with a 22. bolt action (at 30 yards). By the time he was 5, he had harvested his first deer (a doe). At age six, he took a six pt. buck. He has improved ever since but I could never get that boy to shoot a pistol (even though he has shot and taken deer with a 45/70.....which kicks like a darn mule!!! I've noticed that many kids who were brought up shooting, have a HIGH safety record and will often refuse to shoot some firearms. Partially because they know better and, of course, because they fear it (respect it). By the way, I had to trick my son in shooting the weapon he took his first two deer with. It was a brand new lefty Browning 30.06 stainless steel composite stock bolt action I told him that he'd been shooting so well that I got him a new super rifle like the old 22 for his hunt. Not really a lie since it was SUPER compared to the 30.06. (also a bolt action). HA! In the excitement, he never felt or noticed the kick (although there was very little kick out of our military load with 90 grain hollow points). When he was seven, he no longer needed to prop the gun off of the 2X4 safety rests in our permanent deer stands.

Having said all of this, in no way would have wanted him to or allowed him to shoot a full auto like that girl did. It is simply too much gun with too much that can happen. Besides, I couldn't have paid him to shoot it. What's strange about the boy (a soon to be 21 year old man in a few days) is that he has always wanted to and dreams of having a Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle. He's good.....I believe he could have been a sharp shooter in the military. Only problem is; he refuses to serve under this president and so do I. That last bit was for certain folks here who simply can't stand my bringing B.O. into the discussion. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

We were raised a bit different. I could shoot off a moving tricycle. So could my GIRLS. When you're raised around firearms and taught from day one what they can do, there's no problem. I had handguns all over the place and neither of my girls ever touched them. But you can bet your butt neither of my girls was going to shoot anything that wasn't going down range. I sure as Hell wasn't going to hand a 9 years old a full auto weapon.

An UZI is a pointless firearm for any civilian use. It is neither handgun nor rifle. It's designed for killing people at close range. To each his own. I'll stick with my first post though. You put an UZI in the hands of a 9 years old you're begging for disaster.

Politically, I retired because I was sick of serving under Clinton. Bush hadn't announced his intentions or I'd have stayed in. But, remember this: You are serving a nation and its people. An ideal. Not a single person. I'm not suggesting you do anything nor criticizing. I DO understand the ramifications of serving under a wuss CinC. I served an ideal and the people of this nation because that was the way I was raised. It wasn't about who is President at the time.

darin
08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Proves we need younger fire-arms training. Had she learned proficiency when she was 7, she'd not need an instructor.

Only tragedy is this: The young girl living with that, forever :( Poor girl.

Gunny
08-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Proves we need younger fire-arms training. Had she learned proficiency when she was 7, she'd not need an instructor.

Only tragedy is this: The young girl living with that, forever :( Poor girl.

It probably wouldn't be so bad but for the people that aren't going to let her forget it. So WHO is REALLY looking out for that child? The media and pundits whining every day about "this poor child" while simultaneously making sure for their own gain it's in her face every day?

Trigg
08-29-2014, 07:03 AM
You have to use common sense when introducing children and guns.

My kids all shoot. Their first gun was a BB. They then graduated to a single shot 22.

My sister wanted to get her boys a 22 with a clip so they wouldn't have to consantly reload. I talked her out of it and the gun shop owner agreed with me.

If an accident happends it's better to have ONE bullet flying around versus of multiple.

CSM
08-29-2014, 07:56 AM
You have to use common sense when introducing children and guns.

My kids all shoot. Their first gun was a BB. They then graduated to a single shot 22.

My sister wanted to get her boys a 22 with a clip so they wouldn't have to consantly reload. I talked her out of it and the gun shop owner agreed with me.

If an accident happends it's better to have ONE bullet flying around versus of multiple.

I went from a single shot .22 to a bolt action with 6 round magazine. Taught my sons the same way.