PDA

View Full Version : Civil War officer to receive Medal of Honor 151 years after death at Gettysburg

Jeff
08-27-2014, 06:27 AM
I thought this was rather interesting, even though this happened 150 plus years ago Lt. Alonzo Cushing will receive the Medal Of Honor, sounds like he went through it back then.

The White House has announced that a Union Army officer killed at the Battle of Gettysburg will receive the Medal of Honor next month in a White House ceremony.
The decision to honor 1st. Lt. Alonzo Cushing, originally of Wisconsin, brings a successful end to a campaign by Cushing's descendants and Civil War buffs that began in the late 1980s with a series of letters to then-Wisconsin Sen. William Proxmire.
Congress granted a special exemption last December for Cushing to receive the award posthumously since recommendations normally have to be made within two years of the act of heroism and the medal awarded within three years.
Cushing was born in 1841 in Delafield, Wisconsin, raised in Fredonia, New York, and buried at his alma mater, West Point. At Gettysburg, he commanded about 110 men and six cannons as part of Battery A of the 4th U.S. Artillery company.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/27/civil-war-officer-to-receive-medal-honor-151-years-after-death-at-gettysburg/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I thought this was rather interesting, even though this happened 150 plus years ago Lt. Alonzo Cushing will receive the Medal Of Honor, sounds like he went through it back then.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/27/civil-war-officer-to-receive-medal-honor-151-years-after-death-at-gettysburg/

I am all for soldiers getting recognition when it is due. This case it is long over due but one must always suspect the political motive behind everything this administration does. Trust me it is ALWAYS there. For they do nothing out of honor, fair play, kindness of any proper action due to civic duty!
This one could easily be to keep ATTENTION on black issues, slavery, the Civil War and how badly the blacks once had it--thus keep fresh in their minds they once were slaves!
Keep fresh the anger and the hatred...
For this is Obama and his agenda to the core. -Divide and conquer!!-Tyr

Gunny
08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

The Battle of Gettysburg is WAY overplayed by the winner. I've been in that cow pasture. Lee should have listened to Longstreet. Maneuver around the Union army and get between it and DC and choose your own battlefield and set up your defense. The Union would have had no choice but go after them. DC was completely paranoid during the entire war. It would have reversed the battle of Gettysburg's results. That's not how it went.

I'm not saying anything bad about this soldier. I'm just saying it's not hard to hold the high ground and mow down troops sent after you over an open field. Especially when you're firing grape. They had the Confederates in a salient and the Confederates STILL almost broke their line. Not sure I define jumping through your ass to save it as "heroics". :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2014, 07:08 PM
The Battle of Gettysburg is WAY overplayed by the winner. I've been in that cow pasture. Lee should have listened to Longstreet. Maneuver around the Union army and get between it and DC and choose your own battlefield and set up your defense. The Union would have had no choice but go after them. DC was completely paranoid during the entire war. It would have reversed the battle of Gettysburg's results. That's not how it went.

I'm not saying anything bad about this soldier. I'm just saying it's not hard to hold the high ground and mow down troops sent after you over an open field. Especially when you're firing grape. They had the Confederates in a salient and the Confederates STILL almost broke their line. Not sure I define jumping through your ass to save it as "heroics". :laugh:

Longstreet was right and Robert E. Lee was tired. Tired of all the war and seeing all the deaths. Lee just decided to try to decide it right there. Remember early in the war Lee could have marched right on in and sacked D.C. but chose not to. Just same as Hannibal turned back when he could have sacked Rome, he turned back to go winter in the PO valley! Each time the winning commander failed to capitalize on the previous string of great victories--why is still a great mystery in both cases for both generals under other times/ other circumstances would have done so. Sacking either D.C or Rome would have won in each case.. -Tyr

Gunny
08-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Longstreet was right and Robert E. Lee was tired. Tired of all the war and seeing all the deaths. Lee just decided to try to decide it right there. Remember early in the war Lee could have marched right on in and sacked D.C. but chose not to. Just same as Hannibal turned back when he could have sacked Rome, he turned back to go winter in the PO valley! Each time the winning commander failed to capitalize on the previous string of great victories--why is still a great mystery in both cases for both generals under other times/ other circumstances would have done so. Sacking either D.C or Rome would have won in each case.. -Tyr

No offense to you, and I meant none toward this soldier. I'm more than willing to go Civil War with anyone, but we can start another thread. This thread is to honor a Medal of Honor recipient, and I lost sight of that. ANYONE who survived the US Civil War had a pair. Period.

Let this man have his day. :)