PDA

View Full Version : Mayo or Miracle Whip?

Gunny
08-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Being a good Southern, redneck white boy, I won't touch mayo. Stalin invented it, I'm sure. I just don't know the exact plot behind it. :laugh:

I'll use MW every time. Sandwiches, tuna salad ....

Anyone else?

aboutime
08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Being a good Southern, redneck white boy, I won't touch mayo. Stalin invented it, I'm sure. I just don't know the exact plot behind it. :laugh:

Anyone else?

:laugh:

Gaffer
08-30-2014, 05:18 PM
I like mayo with lettuce on a cheeseburger. Otherwise I'll always take MW.

Kathianne
08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
I like mayo with lettuce on a cheeseburger. Otherwise I'll always take MW.
I like MW as sandwich spread, but mayo for any recipes.

shattered
08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Both.

Mayo on ham sammiches
MW in egg salad
Both in deviled eggs
MW on chicken sammiches
Mayo on BLTs

Sheesh. Not everything is black and white. :slap:

OAK
08-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Neither. I also don't like Ketchup, mustard, or steak sauce. Why ruin a good piece of meat?

Abbey Marie
08-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I don't trust a food product called "Miracle" anything. What miracle exactly did they have to perform to make it edible?
:laugh2:

Gunny
08-30-2014, 06:31 PM
I don't trust a food product called "Miracle" anything. What miracle exactly did they have to perform to make it edible?
:laugh2:

Way to stick something in my head, abbey. Now I have to go find out.:laugh:

Gunny
08-30-2014, 06:34 PM
"Current primary ingredients are water, soybean oil, vinegar, HFCS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFCS), sugar, modified corn starch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_corn_starch), and dried eggs. The HFCS and corn starch are made from non genetically modified maize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_maize).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip#cite_note-6) Ingredients making up less than 2% of product include salt, mustard flour, paprika, spice, natural flavor, potassium sorbate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_sorbate), enzyme modified egg yolk, and dried garlic.

Miracle Whip does not meet the minimum requirement of 65% vegetable oil to be labeled as mayonnaise as dictated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip

Gaffer
08-30-2014, 06:47 PM
When I was a kid we always had Miracle Whip and called it Mayonnaise. We also called all pop coke.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
When I was a kid we always had Miracle Whip and called it Mayonnaise. We also called all pop coke.

Hah. We never had any mayo. :)

What people call sodas is regional. When I lived in FL, every convenience store was a 7-11 and any carbonated beverage was a Coke. So you were going to the 7-11 to get a Coke even if you were going to Lil General for a Sprite. :laugh:

Here, when I was young, they were "sody waters" and you went to the "i-i-i-i-ce house to get one. That's the best way I can put that without say "ass-house".:laugh:

When I lived in Kansas it was a "pop". The first time I got asked if I wanted a "pop" I was ready to throw down. :laugh:

aboutime
08-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Gaffer. Agreed. The way I look at it. Who really cares whether we use Mayo, or MW? And I always called it Coke, or Pepsi. People in the Midwest used Pop, while I remember always hearing everybody say "SODA".

Used to love Miracle Whip in Tuna, with chopped onion, celery, and even Bacon bits (when they were popular).

Why do we always seem to find more reasons to argue, and disagree about the dumbest things these days?

Makes little, if any sense when so much more in this crazy, mixed-up World is GOING DOWN THE TUBES???

Before I read this thread. Miracle Whip wasn't one of the most important things I would have been thinking about.

But then....:lol: Who really cares?

shattered
08-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Bacon bits? Oh. Good. God.

Go fry some bacon and crumble it.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Gaffer. Agreed. The way I look at it. Who really cares whether we use Mayo, or MW? And I always called it Coke, or Pepsi. People in the Midwest used Pop, while I remember always hearing everybody say "SODA".

Used to love Miracle Whip in Tuna, with chopped onion, celery, and even Bacon bits (when they were popular).

Why do we always seem to find more reasons to argue, and disagree about the dumbest things these days?

Makes little, if any sense when so much more in this crazy, mixed-up World is GOING DOWN THE TUBES???

Before I read this thread. Miracle Whip wasn't one of the most important things I would have been thinking about.

But then....:lol: Who really cares?

The point is, it's something to talk about besides politics, right? This thread came out of a discussion with my gf. That's all. It's not a point of contention. She likes mayo, I like MW. So we have 2 jars in the fridge. THAT simple. It's NOT important. THAT is the point.

It's meant as humor more than anything else, and to lighten the mood. Kinda go with it, huh?

Gunny
08-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Bacon bits? Oh. Good. God.

Go fry some bacon and crumble it.

Now you're in trouble. Ms Chef Boy R Dee has arrived. And I was about to open my mouth and say something but then I realized if I ask HER what's the difference between bacon bits and crumbled bacon, she'd tell me. And I don't want to know.:laugh: I like bacon bits.

And no offense, princess,:bow3::bow3: but that sounded good. Not everyone is a culinary artist like you. :)

shattered
08-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Now you're in trouble. Ms Chef Boy R Dee has arrived. And I was about to open my mouth and say something but then I realized if I ask HER what's the difference between bacon bits and crumbled bacon, she'd tell me. And I don't want to know.:laugh: I like bacon bits.

And no offense, princess,:bow3::bow3: but that sounded good. Not everyone is a culinary artist like you. :)

I'm gonna tell you anyway.

Crumbled Bacon: Bacon
Bacon Bits: Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Caramel Color, Red 3), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Natural Flavoring, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein and Wheat Gluten.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm gonna tell you anyway.

Crumbled Bacon: Bacon
Bacon Bits: Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Caramel Color, Red 3), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Natural Flavoring, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein and Wheat Gluten.

I'm a Southern redneck dear. That sounds almost like health food. Especially if I can just sprinkle it out of the jar instead of having bacon grease all over the stove top, and a pan to wash. You're talking to guys here, dear. Of course if YOU want to cook ....:whistling2:

You just don't get to touch my grill.

shattered
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm a Southern redneck dear. That sounds almost like health food. Especially if I can just sprinkle it out of the jar instead of having bacon grease all over the stove top, and a pan to wash. You're talking to guys here, dear. Of course if YOU want to cook ....:whistling2:

You just don't get to touch my grill.

This from the guy who used to go all cuckoo on me for suggesting he loosen his panties and have a piece of cheesecake and lighten up sometimes.

Jeff
08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Mayo and it has to be Hellmann's ( yup that is from the Yankee bring up )

Shadow
08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
MMM BLT's with mayo. Almost better than sex (drool):thumb:

shattered
08-30-2014, 07:54 PM
And we've had the grill discussion. You lost that argument a decade ago, and you still lose it today.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 07:59 PM
This from the guy who used to go all cuckoo on me for suggesting he loosen his panties and have a piece of cheesecake and lighten up sometimes.

WTF? :laugh:

I've been known to lighten up. Been told about it. When I'm sleeping, apparently I'm not a pain in everyone's ass.:laugh:

Gunny
08-30-2014, 08:01 PM
And we've had the grill discussion. You lost that argument a decade ago, and you still lose it today.

I never lost. You still haven't touched my grill. You're a girl. You get to make the salad and freshen up drinks. :D

Jeff
08-30-2014, 08:05 PM
I never lost. You still haven't touched my grill. You're a girl. You get to make the salad and freshen up drinks. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Dang I bet you are a hit with the ladies :laugh:

but I do agree :laugh:

Shadow
08-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Yep..and anything slushie related sold in gas stations was an ICEE.

I also remember my dad's family drank coke with every meal...even breakfast (must be a hick thing). I remember thinking that was gross when I was a little kid while visiting them in Ill.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 08:10 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Dang I bet you are a hit with the ladies :laugh:

but I do agree :laugh:

I just spit Coke all over my screen, fucker. :laugh:

aboutime
08-30-2014, 08:35 PM
The point is, it's something to talk about besides politics, right? This thread came out of a discussion with my gf. That's all. It's not a point of contention. She likes mayo, I like MW. So we have 2 jars in the fridge. THAT simple. It's NOT important. THAT is the point.

It's meant as humor more than anything else, and to lighten the mood. Kinda go with it, huh?

Gunny. Funny you should mention 'going with it'. Every attempt I have made to lighten things up around here in the past. Someone has always claimed they were offended, or insulted in some way.

It used to be fun until everybody else decided ONLY THEY know better.

shattered
08-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Youd think youd have drinking out of a big boy glsss under control by now.

Jeff
08-30-2014, 08:53 PM

:lol::laugh::lol:

Man that screen must be sticky :laugh:

Jeff
08-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Youd think youd have drinking out of a big boy glsss under control by now.

What no sippie cup :laugh:

shattered
08-30-2014, 08:57 PM
What no sippie cup :laugh:
Im thinkin I may have to send him one. Think hed like Captain America?

Gunny
08-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Gunny. Funny you should mention 'going with it'. Every attempt I have made to lighten things up around here in the past. Someone has always claimed they were offended, or insulted in some way.

It used to be fun until everybody else decided ONLY THEY know better.

Let 'em claim what they want, be insulted, cry in their Wheaties what-the-fuck-ever.. Peace, dude. I'm not here to fight with anyone. I posted my political views in the appropriate place to give you an understanding of me. This thread is about Miracle Whip and mayo. I meant it as just a means of lightening up the mood around here. But guess WHO keeps dragging it down?

I don't think I know better than anyone. I voice my opinion. That's it. I post crap like this for fun. Nothing else. There's no politics behind it. Just entertainment. You know there ARE those of us who who can't just go out and party, right? When I ask you to lighten up, why do you get so offended?

Go back and look at your post. You tried to politicize a thread about freakin' mayo and MW. You don't want any part of me. None. And I'm holding back, trying to get along and trying to get other people to come here. And if you think I won't go off on your ass, ask around.

You're pissing me off and I don't care who you think you are ... let it go. Please. I guarantee you won't like the results otherwise. I'll light your ass up so fast you'll think you're a leftover Christmas tree getting burned in July.

So, peace. Don't do this.

Gunny
08-30-2014, 09:01 PM

With you two Laurel n Hardy's around I probably DO need one. :laugh:

Jeff
08-30-2014, 09:01 PM

At least he can make believe he is Captain America then, or better yet it could remind him of those of us that are truly like Captain America. :laugh:

Gunny
08-30-2014, 09:08 PM

At least he can make believe he is Captain America then, or better yet it could remind him of those of us that are truly like Captain America. :laugh:

Nah. I'm Hawkeye, remember? I'm going to make sure I have an arrow that goes through TWO people at once.:dev:

shattered
08-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Nah. I'm Hawkeye, remember? I'm going to make sure I have an arrow that goes through TWO people at once.:dev:

You cant handle a soda. Think someones gonna let you play with pointy objects?

Gunny
08-30-2014, 09:18 PM

I wear my disguise when I buy pointy objects. A lady's wig, trenchcoat ..... they never have any idea who I am. And when they ask it's like, "No, that's not a beard n moustache. See the earring and long synthetic hair? I'm a girl." :angel:

shattered
08-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I wear my disguise when I buy pointy objects. A lady's wig, trenchcoat ..... they never have any idea who I am. And when they ask it's like, "No, that's not a beard n moustache. See the earring and long synthetic hair? I'm a girl." :angel:

Well....that certainly explains a few things, now doesnt it...

Gunny
08-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Well....that certainly explains a few things, now doesnt it...

Well. You know how I am. I like to put on your dress and BBQ so you aren't so offended that a man's doing it. :laugh:

SassyLady
08-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Anyone else?

Nope ... not in my house. I'm a Best Foods mayo girl - won't touch any other brand. That other white stuff, MW, is too sweet for me.

shattered
08-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Well you know how I am. I like to put on your dress and BBQ so you aren't so offended that a man's doing it. :laugh:

Why would a man trying to imitate his betters offend me?

Shadow
08-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Nope ... not in my house. I'm a Best Foods mayo girl - won't touch any other brand. That other white stuff, MW, is too sweet for me.

I agree. That's why I don't eat it either.

Gaffer
08-30-2014, 10:21 PM
MW is too sweet ffor a cheeseburger, but it's must for my bologna sandwiches.

shattered
08-30-2014, 10:36 PM
MW is too sweet ffor a cheeseburger, but it's must for my bologna sandwiches.

Try your bologna with Skippy peanut butter.

Gaffer
08-30-2014, 10:51 PM

Yuck :puke3:

Bad enough my brother use to make peanut butter and jelly with bologna sandwiches on toast.

shattered
08-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Yuck :puke3:

Bad enough my brother use to make peanut butter and jelly with bologna sandwiches on toast.

No jelly.

Jeff
08-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Or point being your GF is right :laugh:

Mayo wins I knew it :laugh:

Jeff
08-30-2014, 11:22 PM

OK this post made the soda come out on me :laugh:

OAK
08-31-2014, 03:43 AM
Try your bologna with Skippy peanut butter.Three slices of bologna, two slices of cheese, and peanut butter on wheat. Now that's a good sammich.

jimnyc
08-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Mayo and it has to be Hellmann's ( yup that is from the Yankee bring up )

I used to say that, then I was introduced to "Duke's" from the south, SO much better!!

Jeff
08-31-2014, 06:33 AM
I used to say that, then I was introduced to "Duke's" from the south, SO much better!!

Yes we had that discussion when you where down here, I just can't get use to it but Laura and the kids love Dukes, so when ya open my fidge we have 2 different kinds. :laugh:

Gunny
08-31-2014, 10:27 AM

eeewwww.... you just hit MY "ick" factor. Yuck.:laugh:

Gunny
08-31-2014, 10:28 AM
OK this post made the soda come out on me :laugh:

Doesn't matter to ME where the payback comes from, bubba. :laugh:

Gunny
08-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Three slices of bologna, two slices of cheese, and peanut butter on wheat. Now that's a good sammich.

That is just disgusting. I was with you until you got to the peanut butter.

Roast beef and cheddar with MW on white bread .... tomato and lettuce ... THAT is a sammich. :)

PixieStix
08-31-2014, 12:52 PM
A sandwich isn't a sandwich without the tangy zip of miracle whip :thumb:

shattered
08-31-2014, 01:06 PM
A sandwich isn't a sandwich without the tangy zip of miracle whip :thumb:
Lost, again?

Shadow
08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
eeewwww.... you just hit MY "ick" factor. Yuck.:laugh:

Can't be worse than Mandy mixing peanut butter in Ramen Noodles. LOL

Only thing I eat peanut butter on is pancakes or use it to dip apples in.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Three slices of bologna, two slices of cheese, and peanut butter on wheat. Now that's a good sammich.

Four slices of bologna, one cheese slice, one slice onion, one slice tomato, one piece lettuce and heavy sprinkle black pepper and Louisiana Hot sauce-- you then have a hot Southern Dagwood sammich!
And I have been known to put one hard cooked egg on it...
Leave the heavy pepper and hot sauce off for those that do not like spicy/hot.. --Tyr

OAK
09-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Four slices of bologna, one cheese slice, one slice onion, one slice tomato, one piece lettuce and heavy sprinkle black pepper and Louisiana Hot sauce-- you then have a hot Southern Dagwood sammich!
Leave the heavy pepper and hot sauce off for those that do not like spicy/hot.. --TyrToo much work.

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Miracle Whip.

Sharon loathes the stuff and is firmly in the mayo camp. So, we've got a jar of each. I've seen her actually shudder as I spread the ol' MW on my bread.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 10:46 AM

I ain't sayin' a damned word.:laugh:

Jeff
09-02-2014, 11:31 AM

That is disgusting, makes me want to hurl everything just thinking about it. :puke3:

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 11:53 AM
That is disgusting, makes me want to hurl everything just thinking about it. :puke3:

It does sound gross, but it's actually surprisingly good! I never would have tried it, but I took a bite of Sharon's one day and talked her into making me some like that! lol

Closest I can describe is chinese noodles with peanut in it, like Pad Thai or something.

Shadow
09-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey...can't be too bad. She learned to do that from watching the chefs on the Food Network. :laugh:

Shadow
09-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Leave the heavy pepper and hot sauce off for those that do not like spicy/hot.. --Tyr
Yum. No hot sauce for me though.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Hey...can't be too bad. She learned to do that from watching the chefs on the Food Network. :laugh:

:smoke:

Shadow
09-02-2014, 12:28 PM
:smoke:
If you can't trust a chef. Who can ya trust?

Gunny
09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
If you can't trust a chef. Who can ya trust?

I'll trust the flavor packet that comes with noodles. :)

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I'll trust the flavor packet that comes with noodles. :)

Extra MSG in mine, please.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Extra MSG in mine, please.

NOW I know why I like them. They're unhealthy. Excellent.:laugh:

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Yep.

That stuff really kicks it up a notch! I like to smoke a Marlboro Red after an extra helping of MSG goodness.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Yep.

That stuff really kicks it up a notch! I like to smoke a Marlboro Red after an extra helping of MSG goodness.

Winston red here. :laugh:

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Winston red here. :laugh:

Winston was my Dad's smoke. I gotta give the damn things up, but I'm running out of vices.

I don't drink like I used to and then it's mostly at the cabin. And I'm eating right for the most part... except when I don't, usually at the cabin. But mostly I am, under Sharon's watchful eye. I had no idea that cauliflower could be made into so many other dishes, like substitute mashed potatoes and they're pretty damn good! A good chef can do many wonderful things, I'm learning.

I'm mildly diabetic, controlled for the most part with changing my diet. When the Doc told me I needed to quit eating potatoes at every meal, I felt like eating a bullet. But it's not so bad with almost no starches as it turns out! Cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' satisfies my craving for that starchy goodness and my blood sugar doesn't spike after I've made a pig of myself at the dinner table.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Winston was my Dad's smoke. I gotta give the damn things up, but I'm running out of vices.

I don't drink like I used to and then it's mostly at the cabin. And I'm eating right for the most part... except when I don't, usually at the cabin. But mostly I am, under Sharon's watchful eye. I had no idea that cauliflower could be made into so many other dishes, like substitute mashed potatoes and they're pretty damn good! A good chef can do many wonderful things, I'm learning.

I'm mildly diabetic, controlled for the most part with changing my diet. When the Doc told me I needed to quit eating potatoes at every meal, I felt like eating a bullet. But it's not so bad with almost no starches as it turns out! Cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' satisfies my craving for that starchy goodness and my blood sugar doesn't spike after I've made a pig of myself at the dinner table.

Not sure how many more vices I have but I'm not-so-mildly alcoholic. I can't drink, even at the cabin. :)

But I AM going to have ramen noodles for lunch now. :laugh:

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Miracle whip is disgusting.

I'd rather find out someone nutted on my sandwich rather than find out that someone put Miracle whip on it.

...well, no - not really, but you get the picture.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Miracle whip is disgusting.

I'd rather find out someone nutted on my sandwich rather than find out that someone put Miracle whip on it.

...well, no - not really, but you get the picture.

I feel the same about mayo. I just didn't feel the need to be quite as descriptive as you about it.

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 01:28 PM
LOL

Yeah, a lot of people feel very strongly about MW. There isn't much middle of the road, it seems to be either violently for or against MW.

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
I feel the same about mayo. I just didn't feel the need to be quite as descriptive as you about it.

I love mayonnaise, I could eat it right out of the jar.

I don't actually do that though, I think that's one of those sins on the third tablet that was dropped by Moses.

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
LOL

Yeah, a lot of people feel very strongly about MW. There isn't much middle of the road, it seems to be either violently for or against MW.

Kinda like the Tea Party

Gunny
09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
LOL

Probably isn't much middle of the road. Not sure about the "violently" though. Just a taste preference, and something to talk about besides Obama and the ME. ;)

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Probably isn't much middle of the road. Not sure about the "violently" though. Just a taste preference, and something to talk about besides Obama and the ME. ;)

Seems just about every other political forum is being overran with police violence and racially charged threads, thought I'd see a bunch of that shit here.

I'd rather eat a bowl of Miracle whip than engage in that shit anymore.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Seems just about every other political forum is being overran with police violence and racially charged threads, thought I'd see a bunch of that shit here.

I'd rather eat a bowl of Miracle whip than engage in that shit anymore.

Good point. I agree. That's why there's a thread on MW vs Mayo. :laugh:

Jeff
09-02-2014, 02:01 PM
It does sound gross, but it's actually surprisingly good! I never would have tried it, but I took a bite of Sharon's one day and talked her into making me some like that! lol

Closest I can describe is chinese noodles with peanut in it, like Pad Thai or something.

It might be NT, I have tried some weird things over the years but I can't do those noodle things by themselves LOL

Jeff
09-02-2014, 02:03 PM

I have seen some really strange things come off of that show, but heck some of it does look good :laugh: Guess no need to knock it until ya try it

Gunny
09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I have seen some really strange things come off of that show, but heck some of it does look good :laugh: Guess no need to knock it until ya try it

You keep thinking like that. There are some things I ain't touching no matter WHO says it's good. :laugh:

Shadow
09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
You keep thinking like that. There are some things I ain't touching no matter WHO says it's good. :laugh:
Brussel Sprouts?

Shadow
09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
I will let you be the ginny pig ;)

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Brussel Sprouts?

Brussel sprouts are great.

Burn them, fry them in butter and garlic and salt until they turn black, high heat.

They're awesome - or grill them, over charcoal preferably. Helps to soak them a bit overnight and butter them up a lot before grilling.

Trigg
09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Mayo is disgusting...it doesn't even need refrigerated, which is just weird.

MW is the only thing I buy.

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 02:41 PM

What?

Of course mayo needs refrigerated, it's made out of raw eggs for starts.

Fuck's wrong with you?

Jeff
09-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Brussel Sprouts?

Brussel Sprouts are fantastic, little heads of cabbage , plenty of salt and Butter and you got it going on . :thumb:

Jeff
09-02-2014, 02:47 PM

What?

Fuck's wrong with you?

I was wondering the same Trigg, I just made a sandwich with Mayo on it and took it straight out of the fridge, I always thought once it was open it had to be kept cool.

Trigg
09-02-2014, 02:48 PM
What?

Fuck's wrong with you?

No it doesn't....look it up. It's perfectly safe to keep mayo at room temperature, nasty stuff.

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
No it doesn't....look it up. It's perfectly safe to keep mayo at room temperature, nasty stuff.

Hmmm... we always refrigerate open mayo & MW after it's been opened.

Yep, I just checked. Both Mayo & MW say "Refrigerate after opening. Do not freeze."

Redrose
09-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Anyone else?

Being a NY yankee gal I love mayo, on tuna, sandwiches, but when I make cole slaw, macaroni and potato salad I always use MW. Gives it a nice little sweet vinegar taste.

Jeff
09-02-2014, 02:55 PM

Yep, I just checked. Both Mayo & MW say "Refrigerate after opening. Do not freeze."

:laugh: I also checked the Jar of Hellmanns and yes it says keep refrigerated after opening as well, I have seen Mayo left out for to long (at a picnic) it gets yellow and nasty also kind of hard or thick) I wouldn't use it that is for sure

Trigg
09-02-2014, 02:59 PM

it's recommended to refrigerate in order to keep the taste consistent. Haven't you ever seen those little packets of mayo on the shelf??? It most certainly doesn't need to be refrigerated. It won't go bad.

This may sound disgusting, but mayo isn't a dairy product, so it doesn't need to be treated like one. Of course, some people may not like room temperature mayonnaise after they're used to eating it cold -- so decide for yourself.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/110153/7_Foods_That_Dont_Need

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
:laugh: I also checked the Jar of Hellmanns and yes it says keep refrigerated after opening as well, I have seen Mayo left out for to long (at a picnic) it gets yellow and nasty also kind of hard or thick) I wouldn't use it that is for sure

Seems to me that I was told you can get salmonella from unrefrigerated mayo... don't know if it's true or not, but I try to err on the side of caution to make up for some of my reckless behavior!

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
I was wondering the same Trigg, I just made a sandwich with Mayo on it and took it straight out of the fridge, I always thought once it was open it had to be kept cool.

If he's keeping his open jars of mayo in the cupboard, no wonder he prefers Miracle whip.

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Not refrigerating mayo is like one of things that goes beyond saying.

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 03:04 PM
it's recommended to refrigerate in order to keep the taste consistent. Haven't you ever seen those little packets of mayo on the shelf??? It most certainly doesn't need to be refrigerated. It won't go bad.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/110153/7_Foods_That_Dont_Need

Yep, I know the little packets aren't refrigerated, but I thought it was because they're still sealed. I have seen it separate the oil in it after it's been sitting for a long time... and it doesn't look very appealing! lol

I think I'm used to having it cold. It doesn't taste right to me if it's room temperature.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Brussel Sprouts?

Eeewwww.... You already know the answer to THAT. :laugh:

Nukeman
09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Eeewwww.... You already know the answer to THAT. :laugh:Brussel sprouts are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Too much work.

You get out of it what you put in it.
If ya want a Dagwood ya gotta build dat baby!
Sliced roast beef works well as a substitute for bologna with the same ingredients.
I buy the garlic bologna or rather did back when I made such sammiches. :laugh:-Tyr

Jeff
09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Trigg I looked it up and was surprised at what I found, this was the first one I opened but some of the others said no, so go figure.

Yes it does - but it has nothing to do with being made with eggs. Mayo made without eggs needs to be refrigerated to.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVvNxTgZUDTUAko8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByO DJtaWUzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?qid=20100519171252AAtrzzq

Now here they say the opposite.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVvNxTgZUDTUAjo8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByM G04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?qid=20090302212909AAI1hua

Makes no difference to me but it makes sense, with the vinegar and/or lemon in Mayo they are saying no it doesn't need to be refrigerated, as for me mine will stay in the fridge until I use it :laugh:

Just for Giggles I ran a search on if MW needed to be refrigerated and there was no response, seems no one cares :laugh:

Gunny
09-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Trigg I looked it up and was surprised at what I found, this was the first one I opened but some of the others said no, so go figure.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVvNxTgZUDTUAko8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByO DJtaWUzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?qid=20100519171252AAtrzzq

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEVvNxTgZUDTUAjo8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByM G04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?qid=20090302212909AAI1hua

Makes no difference to me but it makes sense, with the vinegar and/or lemon in Mayo they are saying no it doesn't need to be refrigerated, as for me mine will stay in the fridge until I use it :laugh:

Just for Giggles I ran a search on if MW needed to be refrigerated and there was no response, seems no one cares :laugh:

No. MW users don't have to have the obvious explained to them like mayo users. :laugh:

Says on the jar "Refrigerate after opening". ;)

Jeff
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
No. MW users don't have to have the obvious explained to them like mayo users. :laugh:

Says on the jar "Refrigerate after opening". ;)

Must be all that man made sheot in it :laugh:

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Keep in mind that these are answers from regular people, and "we" should be wary enough to know how regular people are sometimes.

I refrigerate most stuff except for vinegar based things like worcestershire or basalmac (sp?) and typically mustards. Ketchup and BBQ sauce I refrigerate because it's high in sugars. I also refrigerate hot sauce and Sriracha only because they get funky if left at room temps.

But if you've ever home-made your own mayo which is pretty easy to do and it's really, really good, basically it's raw egg whites and oil whipped together with a Kitchen Aid, a little lemon juice and whatever you want to spice it with.

Shadow
09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Eeewwww.... You already know the answer to THAT. :laugh:
I hear they are especially good with miracle whip.

Shadow
09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Brussel sprouts are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes they are! Fresh though...not frozen. Can't get enough of them.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes they are! Fresh though...not frozen. Can't get enough of them.

We won't have to share. :)

Nukeman
09-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Keep in mind that these are answers from regular people, and "we" should be wary enough to know how regular people are sometimes.

I refrigerate most stuff except for vinegar based things like worcestershire or basalmac (sp?) and typically mustards. Ketchup and BBQ sauce I refrigerate because it's high in sugars. I also refrigerate hot sauce and Sriracha only because they get funky if left at room temps.

But if you've ever home-made your own mayo which is pretty easy to do and it's really, really good, basically it's raw egg whites and oil whipped together with a Kitchen Aid, a little lemon juice and whatever you want to spice it with.
Try this site.... If you want a more scientific perspective.
http://www.wvagriculture.org/images/Literature/Mayo%20brochure.pdf

Q. WHAT HAPPENS IF I LEAVE
MAYONNAISE UNREFRIGERATED FOR A
LONG PERIOD OF TIME?
A. From a food safety standpoint, commercial mayonnaise
and mayonnaise-type dressings are perfectly stable when stored
at room temperature after opening. Quality, not safety, is the
only reason the labels on these products suggest that they be
refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration ensures that the
commercial mayonnaise keeps its fresh flavor for a longer
period of time.

Here is another from the FDA states it can be stored at room temp without issue.. (20c)

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/00/Jul00/071200/c004.pdf

Lock, J.L. and Board, R,G., 1994. The fate of Salmonella enteriditis PT4 in deliberately
infected commercial mayonnaise. Food Microbiology 11, pgs. 499-504
Summary:
“A total of 30 samples (24 different varieties) of commercial mayonnaise deliberately
inoculated with Salmonella enteritidis PT4 have been studied. The fastest death rate
of the test organism was obtained with a fat-free mayonnaise pH 2.6. There was a
trend indicating that the antimicrobial attributes of mayonnaise were enhanced when
the pH become more acid, especially with acetic acid as the acidulant. The looseness
of the correlation of death rates with pH in the range 4-5 may well reflect the
contribution of the diverse range of ingredients other than acids to the antimicrobial
properties of this commodity. One general statement is possible, in the majority of
mayonnaises S. enferitidis was protected to a limited extent by storage at 4°C viz a viz
storage at 20°C.”
Raghubeer, Errol V., Ke, Jim S., Campbell, Michael L., and Meyer, Richard S., 1994. Fate
of Escherichia coli 0157:H7 and Other Coliforms in Commercial Mayonnaise
and Refrigerated Salad Dressing. Journal of Food Protection, Vol. 58, pgs. 13-18
Summary:
“Commercial mayonnaise and refrigerated ranch salad dressing were inoculated at two
levels with two strains of Escherichia coli 0 157:H7, a non-pathogenic E. coli, and the
non-fecal coliform Enferobacter aerogenes. Results showed that at the high
inoculation level (>106 colony forming units [CFU]/g) in mayonnaise stored at room
temperature (ca. 22” C) both strains of 0157:H7 were undetected at 96 h. At the high
inoculation level, all strains of coliform bacteria tested survived longer in salad
dressing stored at 4°C than in mayonnaise stored at 22°C. The 0157:H7 strains were
still present at low levels after 17 days. The survival time in the low-level inoculum
(lo* CFU/g) study decreased, but the survival pattern in the two products was similar
to that observed in the high-level inoculum study. Slight differences in survival among
strains were observed. The greater antimicrobial effect of mayonnaise may be
attributable to differences in pH, water activity (aW), nutrients, storage temperature,
and the presence of lysozyme in the whole eggs used in the production of commercial
mayonnaise. Coliform bacteria survived longer in refrigerated salad dressing than in
mayonnaise particularly at the high-level inoculum. Both mayonnaise (pH 3.91) and
salad dressing (pH 4.5 1) did not support the growth of any of the microorganisms
even though survival was observed.”

Nukeman
09-03-2014, 03:27 PM
So there you all go scientific conclusive PROOF Mayo does NOT need to be refrigerated for safety only the quality of the product and taste.... The ph and acidic value will kill all bacteria that is damaging to humans..

Baba Booey
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
So there you all go scientific conclusive PROOF Mayo does NOT need to be refrigerated for safety only the quality of the product and taste.... The ph and acidic value will kill all bacteria that is damaging to humans..

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Nukeman
09-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Let us know how it works out for ya.

So are you saying that scientific testing is NOT good enough for you. Once again it is NOT about safety it is about QUALITY or how it will taste. The refrigerated Mayo will TASTE better but the room temp will not HARM you

Personally I store it in the fridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baba Booey
09-03-2014, 05:54 PM
So are you saying that scientific testing is NOT good enough for you. Once again it is NOT about safety it is about QUALITY or how it will taste. The refrigerated Mayo will TASTE better but the room temp will not HARM you

lol! - yep, that's what I'm saying.

Call me a skeptic, sometimes common sense rules out.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Y'know, if you used MW, this wouldn't be a contentious issue. :laugh:

aboutime
09-03-2014, 05:58 PM
NOT RECOMMENDED but.... Let's all see who wants to brag about using MAYO that has been stored at room temperature on your food. Or, try making some sandwiches with MAYO for your lunch, and let the sandwich sit in a bag, or container...not in a refrigerator, for more than eight hours. Then eat it.

If you happen to make it through the following day without making you sick. Let us know how that worked out.

Jeff
09-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Nuke I watched a thing on TV where Eskimo's where burying fish for over a year to let them ferment before eating , nope they didn't die but I am not eating that fish either :laugh:

Gunny
09-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Nuke I watched a thing on TV where Eskimo's where burying fish for over a year to let them ferment before eating , nope they didn't die but I am not eating that fish either :laugh:

I can eat Marine Corps chow, and STILL wouldn't touch that. :laugh: