PDA

View Full Version : Ex-President Jimmy Carter says he still prays for peace in Middle East

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Ex-President Jimmy Carter says he still prays for peace in Middle East

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140830/METRO01/308300048#ixzz3C4eRt9NA

Detroit— During a speech at the annual convention for the Islamic Society of North America on Saturday, former President Jimmy Carter said peace between Jews and Muslims in the Middle East is a dream he still prays can be achieved.

“You can’t bring peace to the Middle East without justice and human rights for the Palestinians,” Carter told a packed hall at Cobo Center. “When my prayers are answered and we have peace in that Holy Land then the Israelis and all their neighbors will be blessed to live in peace and prosperity.”

Carter spoke mainly about preventing violence against women and girls, encouraging all present to fight for equal rights for both sexes.

“One thing that all men can do is to be sure that you treat your wife as you would like to be treated yourself,” Carter said, amid cheers. “My hope is all Christians, all Muslims, all people of other faiths, even those who don’t have one, will join in this crusade to end the plight of our wives, our sisters, our daughters.”

He spoke at length about prostitution, rape on college campuses, female genital mutilation and parents in some countries strangling their daughters because they want to have sons. The audience of men, women and children were rapt and responded with applause when he quoted verses from the Quran and the Bible illustrating the equality of the sexes.

“Men and women are created equally from one soul,” Carter said. “If you were taught by your parents or you believe you’re superior to your wife just because you’re a man, Allah says your wrong.”

At an earlier luncheon on Saturday Carter detailed the work his foundation does and told Muslim Americans to bring peace and justice to all those around them.

“We are all Americans in a system that allows basic human rights: peace, justice and the ability to treat each other as equals,” Carter told a crowd of about 1,000 who had paid $200 a plate to attend the fundraiser luncheon. “I hope all of you will use the principals of Allah to bring peace and justice to all.”

Hazim Bata, ISNA’s new executive director and CEO, said he was humbled to be in the presence of Carter.

“President Carter has spent his entire life helping others around him just as all of you have helped those around you and paved the way for the next generation,” Bata told the crowd at the luncheon.

The former president detailed the work that his foundation, the Carter Center, does around the world. In addition to working to eradicate disease, promoting human rights and monitoring elections to make sure they are fair, Carter said a major role is to work for peace in the Middle East, a statement that earned him hearty applause.

“We continue to meet with the people in the Middle East to bring peace and justice to the people,” said Carter.

He said the Carter Center meets with parties that the U.S. Government or the U.N. won’t negotiate with. He said the goal has always been for Israel to withdraw from all occupied territories.

A one state solution “would be a very serious catastrophe,” he said.

The former President said his foundation has been working to assure fair treatment for Muslims, Arab Americans and all people who may have been persecuted after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in 2001, calling the government’s response “a miscarriage of justice.”

“We need to close Guantanamo and restore America to its previous status of respecting everyone,” he said.

Carter was the 39th president of the United States, serving one term from 1977 to 1981. He turns 90 on October 1

How much more damage to this nation does this damn democrat fool intend on delivering??
Second worse President only after the piece of shat bamscum and now we have them both working hard to weaken us and promote Islam and its murdering terrorists.
Carter is now and always has been the typical dem politician--arrogant, stupid and so full of shat his eyes are brown..
Like a disease that will not go away...-Tyr

gabosaurus
09-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Stating that Jimmy Carter was the worst president of the 20th century got me banned from DU the second time (first time was when I bashed Clinton).

Jeff
09-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Stating that Jimmy Carter was the worst president of the 20th century got me banned from DU the second time (first time was when I bashed Clinton).

:lol::lol: You Banned say it aint so :laugh: Join the club Gabs :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Easiest thing in the world to get banned from a dem/lib board...
All one has to do is tell the truth, works every damn time..
Want to stay, just lie like hell...-Tyr

fj1200
09-01-2014, 09:58 PM
He prays?!? :eek:

Redrose
09-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Carter is delusional. Praying for peace in the Middle East is about as effective as praying to win LOTTO.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Carter is delusional. Praying for peace in the Middle East is about as effective as praying to win LOTTO.
Second worse prez, second worse fool and a dumbass to bot but what can one expect?
He is a dem/lib after all..:laugh:--Tyr

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Carter was inept when he was president; now he's got even less info and a lot more senility.

I've had the distinct feeling that he's trying to reverse the generally held view that he was irrelevant as a president and he's trying to redeem himself.

I don't think he's a bad man, he's just a buffoon. Very much similar to Biden in his lack of understanding of the dynamics in play and his willingness to say stupid things has to have his handlers sweating at night as they dread his next speech - "Stick with the cards! For the love of all that's holy, stick with the cards!"

I'd like to know the body count of all the PR careers he's wrecked along the way. It has to be an impressive number.

fj1200
09-02-2014, 09:31 AM
^I agree he's trying to redeem himself but I disagree that he's senile. If he was I'm sure he wouldn't be out in public. It's quite easy to be wrong without being senile.

Gaffer
09-02-2014, 10:00 AM
^I agree he's trying to redeem himself but I disagree that he's senile. If he was I'm sure he wouldn't be out in public. It's quite easy to be wrong without being senile.

I agree, he's not senile, he's just plain stupid.

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Perhaps a bad choice of words on my part.

My point was that he's not as sharp at 90 than he was over 30 years ago when he was behind the wheel. Carter was clueless back then even with all the intel and supposedly very smart & informed people advising him.

namvet
09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Perhaps a bad choice of words on my part.

My point was that he's not as sharp at 90 than he was over 30 years ago when he was behind the wheel. Carter was clueless back then even with all the intel and supposedly very smart & informed people advising him.

to much Billy Beer ??

NightTrain
09-02-2014, 08:23 PM
to much Billy Beer ??

I remember when I was a youngster and Carter was Prez, my Dad had a 6-pack of Billy Beer.