PDA

View Full Version : Racism vs. bigotry

Baba Booey
09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Hot topic lately.

What are the characteristics of racism vs. the characteristics of bigotry? How are they different, or the same if you feel that they are?

Finally, do you consider yourself one or the other - or both? Or neither, and why?

I'll reserve my response for now as to not influence replies if even subliminally.

edit: I didn't see a "race relations" sub-forum so I stuck it here, hope that's ok.

Gunny
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Hot topic lately.

What are the characteristics of racism vs. the characteristics of bigotry? How are they different, or the same if you feel that they are?

Finally, do you consider yourself one or the other - or both? Or neither, and why?

I'll reserve my response for now as to not influence replies if even subliminally.

edit: I didn't see a "race relations" sub-forum so I stuck it here, hope that's ok.

Bigotry is intolerance to others beliefs.

Racism is intolerance to other races.

I consider myself neither.

Jeff
09-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Bigotry is intolerance to others beliefs.

Racism is intolerance to other races.

I consider myself neither.

I consider myself both :laugh:

To a point that is, When I watch what the animals in Feguson are doing , well enough said and the same goes for the terrorist !!!

Gunny
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff;702082]I consider myself both :laugh:

I guess I am bigoted.

But I'm not racist. Stupid doesn't have a color. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-02-2014, 09:49 PM

I guess I am bigoted.

Apparently truth does or so I've been told it does.
I was told that truth is racist! Right here I was told that.
Hell, almost fell out of my chair when I read it!!
Sure exposed somebody's liberalism IMHO ... -Tyr

Jeff
09-02-2014, 09:56 PM

I guess I am bigoted.

Gunny it doesn't have to be black it can be any race that is acting like fools, your definition, Racism is intolerance to other races, and yes when other races are acting stupidly, no matter the color I don't have no tolerance for them, example... Cinco De Mayo when they went crazy, I had no tolerance for those people, and no it isn't for the entire race but unfortunately in this country it has become so that ya have to talk about all, yes the libs have made it that way to make those of us like myself that will speak up look like we are racist, so I am OK with that.

Jeff
09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;702088]

Apparently truth does or so I've been told it does.
I was told that truth is racist! Right here I was told that.
Hell, almost fell out of my chair when I read it!!
Sure exposed somebody's liberalism IMHO ... -Tyr

There ya go talking above others again :laugh: I hope you aren't call me a Lib :laugh:

fj1200
09-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Hot topic lately.

Do you want the actual definitions or the ones that have been perverted?

Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Bigotry: bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Bigoted: having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

FYI, I just grabbed the definitions that google posted at the top. YMMV

Gunny
09-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Do you want the actual definitions or the ones that have been perverted?

Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Bigotry: bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Bigoted: having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

FYI, I just grabbed the definitions that google posted at the top. YMMV

So did I, just to make sure my memory was working. I just didn't feel the need to copy them verbatim. The difference is clear.

So what EXACTLY are you calling perverted?

fj1200
09-03-2014, 08:48 AM
So did I, just to make sure my memory was working. I just didn't feel the need to copy them verbatim. The difference is clear.

So what EXACTLY are you calling perverted?

Your definition of racism was not accurate. And I'm stating that the definitions have been perverted. Calling anyone who disagrees with BO a racist is using a perverted definition for example.

IMO.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Your definition of racism was not accurate. And I'm stating that the definitions have been perverted. Calling anyone who disagrees with BO a racist is using a perverted definition for example.

IMO.

How did Obama get into this?

My definition of racism was completely accurate. Try again.

fj1200
09-03-2014, 08:52 AM
How did Obama get into this?

My definition of racism was completely accurate. Try again.

It was an example, signified by "for example." :)

Is that a dictionary definition? Or one that has been perverted along the way?

Gunny
09-03-2014, 08:53 AM
It was an example, signified by "for example." :)

Is that a dictionary definition? Or one that has been perverted along the way?

I don't believe the OP asked for dictionary definitions, did it?

Eat your Wheaties this morning, or what? :)

fj1200
09-03-2014, 10:27 AM

I guess it didn't ask but I'm a strict constructionist when it comes to definitions. :)

Close, mini-wheats.

Baba Booey
09-03-2014, 10:30 AM

No, I didn't think it needed to be said but if some people are more comfortable with that as a starting point for discussion then fine.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM
I guess it didn't ask but I'm a strict constructionist when it comes to definitions. :)

Close, mini-wheats.

Pffft. I have coffee. :joy4:

fj1200
09-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Pffft. I have coffee. :joy4:

Who said I can't have both? :coffee:

Gunny
09-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Who said I can't have both? :coffee:

I doubt it affects you the way it does me. I'm hyper without it. ;)

fj1200
09-03-2014, 11:04 AM
I doubt it affects you the way it does me. I'm hyper without it. ;)

It just makes me have to go. :(

But it's still tasty. :)

Gunny
09-03-2014, 11:22 AM
It just makes me have to go. :(

But it's still tasty. :)

Uh huh. It makes me shower and shave before 6AM and clean my room while still posting. And then I go :joy4: