PDA

View Full Version : Have Bow(S)....Will Travel!!!

red state
09-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Wounded MARINE 'Osprey Pilot' to bring home the GOLD with either or BOTH of his bows (compound and traditional)!!!

“It's an indoor shoot,” Burkett told Fox News surrounded by his four children, Keenan, Josilyn, Mastin and Lochlen, all of whom have been raised at Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda. “Whatever format they'll give me, I'll shoot it. I’ll beat the Brits. Beat 'em all."

One of Burkett's children has already won a State Archery Compitition when he was only 9 or 10!!! I have much appreciation for such a father and if only we had such men across this Nation. Dads, get out there and lead your kids by introducing them to things OTHER THAN VIDEO GAMES or movies. Camp with them or get them a bow.....or safely train them in the use of firearms. Major Burkett will surely have an easier goal with his kids simply because he's envolved with them and he is certainly a determined individual with HIGH expectations. I hope he brings home the gold in ALL events. He refuses to use his wheel chair (even though he may face another amputation). If he can STAND and shoot the pants off of everyone else in the UK, he will have more respect from me than I can express within the pages of Debate Policy.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::s alute::salute::salute::salute: SALUTE ! ! !Marine Major Eric Burkett considers himself a lucky guy.
Major Burkett was one of only two survivors when the Osprey tilt rotor aircraft that he was piloting in Morocco crashed on April 11, 2012. Burkett had one leg amputated and may yet lose the other.

GO http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/final.png !

MARINES ROYALLY READY TO WIN GOLD AT WARRIOR GAMES, AGAIN
http://www.marines.mil/News/tabid/3250/Article/142900/marines-royally-ready-to-win-gold-at-warrior-games-again.aspx MAY, 2013

VIDEO FOOTAGE - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/01/invictus-wounded-marine-gets-ready-for-london-games/ Sept., 2014

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Wounded MARINE 'Osprey Pilot' to bring home the GOLD with either or BOTH of his bows (compound and traditional)!!!

“It's an indoor shoot,” Burkett told Fox News surrounded by his four children, Keenan, Josilyn, Mastin and Lochlen, all of whom have been raised at Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda. “Whatever format they'll give me, I'll shoot it. I’ll beat the Brits. Beat 'em all."

One of Burkett's children has already won a State Archery Compitition when he was only 9 or 10!!! I have much appreciation for such a father and if only we had such men across this Nation. Dads, get out there and lead your kids by introducing them to things OTHER THAN VIDEO GAMES or movies. Camp with them or get them a bow.....or safely train them in the use of firearms. Major Burkett will surely have an easier goal with his kids simply because he's envolved with them and he is certainly a determined individual with HIGH expectations. I hope he brings home the gold in ALL events. He refuses to use his wheel chair (even though he may face another amputation). If he can STAND and shoot the pants off of everyone else in the UK, he will have more respect from me than I can express within the pages of Debate Policy.

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::s alute::salute::salute::salute: SALUTE ! ! !Marine Major Eric Burkett considers himself a lucky guy.
Major Burkett was one of only two survivors when the Osprey tilt rotor aircraft that he was piloting in Morocco crashed on April 11, 2012. Burkett had one leg amputated and may yet lose the other.

GO http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/final.png !

MARINES ROYALLY READY TO WIN GOLD AT WARRIOR GAMES, AGAIN
http://www.marines.mil/News/tabid/3250/Article/142900/marines-royally-ready-to-win-gold-at-warrior-games-again.aspx MAY, 2013

VIDEO FOOTAGE - http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/01/invictus-wounded-marine-gets-ready-for-london-games/ Sept., 2014

A true hero, A Marine, A great father, A great Archer , A wounded veteran and an all around great guy!!
Our military is full of such mean yet are demonized by the dem/leftists.
Sad but true...
I salute this man and all that honorably served ! :salute:

He shoots recurve too. How about a longbow??? -Tyr

red state
09-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Tyr, I don't believe he shoots a long bow but I'm sure he could kick @$$ with that as well. Did you see him shoot between his truck and stuff THROUGH his shed or whatever? I shoot pretty well but if/when there's something like a 40K 4x4.....I'd get nervous and hit the truck SQUARE!!! HA!!! He was showing how cool and collective he was with that shot (that looked about like 30 to 40 yds).

Anyway, I agree that this is what I call a REAL American. That term really gets to leftist scum but I've used it for years and I'll continue to use it. If they (THEY) don't like it, they can buck up and be REAL men/women and stop trying to destroy this country and take our freedoms.

As for the competition, there is much going on in the UK with all kinds of sports for these fallen warriors......archery just happens to be my thing (especially when the guy who is sure to come out on TOP is also a hunter who provided food for the family).

If anyone doesn't know, the transition from hi-tech compounds and traditional archery is almost like night and day YET this warrior does it with no problem. I know because I also transition well and have taught my son this as well. He turned 21 yesterday and won his State Archery Competition when he was 9 or 10 (if memory serves me well....and it usually doesn't these days). HA!

I hope they have this Marine's events on the tube or the news covers it.

red state
09-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Tyr, he did provide a CHALLENGE to anyone......he said that he'd shoot against anyone with ANYTHING. HA! So, I am sure he can and has shot a longbow, all types of rifles and whatever else. He is a pilot and can probably drive the heck out of a tractor (being a good ole boy). In short: I really like this guy!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Tyr, I don't believe he shoots a long bow but I'm sure he could kick @$$ with that as well. Did you see him shoot between his truck and stuff THROUGH his shed or whatever? I shoot pretty well but if/when there's something like a 40K 4x4.....I'd get nervous and hit the truck SQUARE!!! HA!!! He was showing how cool and collective he was with that shot (that looked about like 30 to 40 yds).

Anyway, I agree that this is what I call a REAL American. That term really gets to leftist scum but I've used it for years and I'll continue to use it. If they (THEY) don't like it, they can buck up and be REAL men/women and stop trying to destroy this country and take our freedoms.

As for the competition, there is much going on in the UK with all kinds of sports for these fallen warriors......archery just happens to be my thing (especially when the guy who is sure to come out on TOP is also a hunter who provided food for the family).

If anyone doesn't know, the transition from hi-tech compounds and traditional archery is almost like night and day YET this warrior does it with no problem. I know because I also transition well and have taught my son this as well. He turned 21 yesterday and won his State Archery Competition when he was 9 or 10 (if memory serves me well....and it usually doesn't these days). HA!

I hope they have this Marine's events on the tube or the news covers it.

That shot was easily fifty yards methinks. The man represents himself, his family , this nation and our military service so well!
The Brits still have a long standing archery club that has many excellent archers but this competition is for only the wounded veterans and our Marine archer looks like he may take he the gold!
Man , I sure hope he does. Dude does us all proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red state
09-03-2014, 09:40 AM
I'm sure he will do well and I'm also certain that he would NEVER back down from any challenge or fight. I'd like to see him say:
“Whatever format TYR gives me, I'll shoot it. I’ll beat TYR and Beat him bad."
You gotta hand it to the guy.....he's very optimistic, cocky and TRUE American. I've always heard that Americans are a cocky lot but, BY GOD, we back it up (usually). HA!!! I'll guarantee you one thing....IF I ever have the opportunity to shoot with/against him......I'm giving it all I have and holding nothing back. HA!!! I'd even be a bit worried in playin' HORSE in archery and have no doubt that he'd try any KraZy shot that I could come up with or in whatever shot he could physically perform.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm sure he will do well and I'm also certain that he would NEVER back down from any challenge or fight. I'd like to see him say:
“Whatever format TYR gives me, I'll shoot it. I’ll beat TYR and Beat him bad."
You gotta hand it to the guy.....he's very optimistic, cocky and TRUE American. I've always heard that Americans are a cocky lot but, BY GOD, we back it up (usually). HA!!! I'll guarantee you one thing....IF I ever have the opportunity to shoot with/against him......I'm giving it all I have and holding nothing back. HA!!! I'd even be a bit worried in playin' HORSE in archery and have no doubt that he'd try any KraZy shot that I could come up with or in whatever shot he could physically perform.

Typical jarhead. Doesn't know when to quit. Y'all are making this big fuss and I'm like, well yeah, okay. Sounds normal to me. Try telling him he's crippled. :laugh:

red state
09-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Not me....I'm gonna smile and tell him he's walking JUST FINE......all the time doing my best and having no mercy on him IF/WHEN I can out shoot him. I wouldn't want anyone doing me any favors and I'll not be the egg-head who insults him by easing up on my shooting. I respect the guy too much.

red state
09-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Just in case anyone has gotten the wrong impression.....I was NOT picking on Tyr to the extent that some may have gathered. Tyr is quite accomplished in shooting bows and guns and is a longbowman. This guy talks a big talk (as Tyr does) and I believe we'd see a good match up if ever a long bow was placed in the Marine's hand. As for funning; I was simply pointing out that Tyr may have his hands full with this guy. Neither men have any back-down.....and that's a good thing. HA!!!

Gunny
09-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Not me....I'm gonna smile and tell him he's walking JUST FINE......all the time doing my best and having no mercy on him IF/WHEN I can out shoot him. I wouldn't want anyone doing me any favors and I'll not be the egg-head who insults him by easing up on my shooting. I respect the guy too much.

Yeah. He WOULD be insulted if he thought you were easing up. I'd go M-14s with him in a second and I damned sure wouldn't be shooting to lose.

CSM
09-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Yeah. He WOULD be insulted if he thought you were easing up. I'd go M-14s with him in a second and I damned sure wouldn't be shooting to lose.

Why bother to compete if you are not going to try to win? I don't get that. By the way, the M-14 was and still is my favorite rifle.

red state
09-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Never shot an M-14 but I'll go against anyone with my long bow (home made) or any of my compounds. Heck, if firearms is the game, I'll shoot against anyone with my Stainless Stalker Browning bolt action (composite stock). As for competing, I'd have confidence in betting on my son (whether it be rifle or bow). He's just 21 (as of yesterday) but he has shot EVERYTHING since he was 2 or 3). He also shoots hand loaded rounds (which would be unfair to use IF the other guy was using store bought rounds).

CSM, I don't understand why folks would purposely lose either.....it is, after all, a liberal thing. I taught my son to shoot, play chess and everything else a man should teach his son (and daughter) and I NEVER took it easy on them. Heck, I knew my old age was fast approaching and I'd need to enjoy winning while I could. HA! I'm about blind now, over-weight and my bones pop. HA! Besides, what better way to BETTER someone (youth or other) by giving them your BEST. I fully believe that those in the UK event will come away with the realization that this Marine gave them his BEST.

CSM
09-03-2014, 10:24 AM
This competition is composed of participants who already have given their best .... and continue to do so! I bet you won't hear any whining from any of them about the competition being "fair" and things like "participation medals". That would be just too insulting.

Gunny
09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Why bother to compete if you are not going to try to win? I don't get that. By the way, the M-14 was and still is my favorite rifle.

This competition is composed of participants who already have given their best .... and continue to do so! I bet you won't hear any whining from any of them about the competition being "fair" and things like "participation medals". That would be just too insulting.

Haven't fired one since I started wearing glasses, so I'd have to see. But I'd compete with anyone with an M-14.

red state
09-03-2014, 11:06 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap:

WELL SAID, CSM!!!! INDEED, YOU AND OTHER MEMBERS AND GREAT MEN/WOMEN ALL AROUND THE WORLD WHO SERVE THE BEST NATION ON EARTH HAVE AND CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE BEST. ALTHOUGH, THIS THREAD MAY HAVE FAILED TO STATE WHAT YOU HAVE SO ADMIRABLY EXPRESSED, IT IS APPARENT THAT MOST HERE AT DP FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. MAY GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY AND MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS OUR NATION.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Hell, I'd just be honored to shoot with the man -- win or lose! And I damn sure would not lose on purpose, only ever done that with a pretty gal when shooting pool. They luv it when they win and da whiskey makes 'em kinda frisky.;)
Of course dat wuz bakk in da day!
My wife would beat my ass trying that now. ;)
Dis ole boy knows which side his bread is buttered on....
the left side, right where she sleeps... :beer:--Tyr

red state
09-04-2014, 06:39 PM
HA! I needed that laugh! Thanks Tyr! And I agree wholeheartedly. This guy wants no special treatment and I respect him enough to NOT give it. To shoot with a guy like that would, indeed, be an honor and privileged. He'd probably beat me in regular shooting (as I tend to blow up under pressure) but if we're goofin' around and playing archery-HORSE.....I'd beat the pants off of most folks (even you Tyr old buddy). HA!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
HA! I needed that laugh! Thanks Tyr! And I agree wholeheartedly. This guy wants no special treatment and I respect him enough to NOT give it. To shoot with a guy like that would, indeed, be an honor and privileged. He'd probably beat me in regular shooting (as I tend to blow up under pressure) but if we're goofin' around and playing archery-HORSE.....I'd beat the pants off of most folks (even you Tyr old buddy). HA!!!

haha, in your dreams...
I'd insist that you shoot with same weight longbow as I do, an 86 pounder. :laugh: And we stump shoot a 30 shot course.
Your arm would be blown halfway! :laugh2:
I once shot against my brother and Jeff on a Saturday as a friendly competition. We shot a 50 round stump shoot then another 50 round shoot because I won the first one . I won both but that's a hundred shots and I was using my 86 pounder , the pansies were using their 65 pounders and bitching too .
Now that was back in 1987.
Here is the kicker , I had practiced with that heavy bow(Tom Cole custom) for an hour before they came out to suggest the competition. Had shot about 80 to a hundred times before the stump shooting contest. I was 33 years old then and yes the next day my arm was blown. Anybody ever pulled a 75 pound longbow will know that an 86 pounder is not for the faint of heart or the weak of arm!!- ;)--Tyr

red state
09-05-2014, 09:04 PM
haha, in your dreams...
I'd insist that you shoot with same weight longbow as I do, an 86 pounder. :laugh: And we stump shoot a 30 shot course.
Your arm would be blown halfway! :laugh2:
I once shot against my brother and Jeff on a Saturday as a friendly competition. We shot a 50 round stump shoot then another 50 round shoot because I won the first one . I won both but that's a hundred shots and I was using my 86 pounder , the pansies were using their 65 pounders and bitching too .
Now that was back in 1987.
Here is the kicker , I had practiced with that heavy bow(Tom Cole custom) for an hour before they came out to suggest the competition. Had shot about 80 to a hundred times before the stump shooting contest. I was 33 years old then and yes the next day my arm was blown. Anybody ever pulled a 75 pound longbow will know that an 86 pounder is not for the faint of heart or the weak of arm!!- ;)--Tyr

No dreams when shooting with/against me.....ALL nightmare cuz I have no backdown and will keep on as long as I can. One will either give up or fall out. HA!!! Truth be told, I get along fairly well and naturally with sweat in my eyes, bugs bitin' and the sting of briars and such. I'm usually bare foot and bare fingered when shooting my range anyway. At one time I had a very good range with six or seven deer and a few hogs (3D of course). When I shoot or go [stompin'], I shoot anywhere from 30 to 60 yards (up hill, down hollows, across creeks and among briars) I stay away from poisen oak and ivy but if I must complete a challenge, I'll shoot from that mess as well. Now, for a friendly match, I've been known to have a cooler of lemon aid or tea throughout the 3-D shoot but for a competitive STUMP shoot (aka stompin') I have no mercy.

Getting back to high poundage bows and your arm giving out on you the next day; all I gotta say is.....tell me about it. My son "thought" he wanted a 65 lbs recurve (which is harder to shoot than a smoother long bow.... in my opinion) and after a few days, he almost sold it for a 50lbs but he shoots the 65 pounder that I got him for Christmas of 2011 really well now (just complained about the weight earlier in). I can't outshoot him but he does get a bit bothered when I school him every now and again....such as my log shot. That is where I show him how I can lay by an old log and with only my arm, bow and shooting eye visible......raise the bow from a flat lying position and hit the mark at 20 yards. Of course this is with my 80 lbs Darton Xcell and prong rest. A locked compound seems to hold the arrow better at full draw than a traditional bow (I suppose it is the properly angled shelf of a traditional bow VS the flat shelf and various rests. I'd shoot a whisker biscuit BUT they do not allow a clear window from which to shoot instinctive. When younger, I shot a 92 lb compound bow with very little let-off (bare finger) but I've smartened up since then. Still, I would accept your 80+ challenge and believe I'd hold up/out well. I have about 14 or 15 years on you I believe and know full well what 10 years can and will do to a fellow....much less 15 or 20. HA!!!

At any rate, when I shot 92 lbs I shot for hours (EVERY DAY) and could trick shoot with the blasted thing. I broke many strings that couldn't take the constant strain but even when they'd blow up, the arrow still hit its mark. I built and shot a 48 lbs long bow and it is as sweet as can be with quite a bit of snap to it. As the bowyer, I hope that SPEED is the only snap that bow ever provides cuz I gave it to a friend. I'm confident in the thing cuz I had shot it over 300 times and it does exactly the same thing with no hint of blow-up. I now shoot a heftier juniper that is surprising in snap so I'm keeping this 55+ at 30" draw. When I feel more confident, I'll build a 90 pounder.....but that'll be just for show as I don't intend to shoot more than is needed to down a deer. Tyr can be bull-headed and pull that kind of weight if he wants but I've smartened up a bit over the years. HA!

On another topic.....Sure wish they'd have a TAX FREE weekend for archery equipment like they're having for guns and ammo. YA'LL COME on down.

red state
09-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Tyr, we need to get a shoot going sometime. I'm a bit busy right now (as my few posts reveal) and it is a bit hot right now but I'd enjoy very much shooting at color coded balloons at unknown distances at KraZy spots and in difficult stances. You only get one shot and the first to pop his balloon stops that particular shot and is the winner at that spot. If you hit the other guy's balloon.....tough luck.....we move on. HA!!! This is like stomping but adds a bit more flavor since the balloons are possibly moving (dependent upon the weather). Anyway, the rules can change if you have any ideas to better the game. Perhaps color coded balloons for the more difficult shots and greater distances. Whatever we come up with, I'm sure it'd be a great time. At one time, Memphis had some outstanding archer clubs/shoots but I haven't lived in Memphis for YEARS and am not sure how they have fared over the years. Of course, just good ole fashion stumping (what I call STOMPin') would be fine as well and whomever gets the closest to an obvious knot on the stump gets the prize. HA!!!!

Shot very well yesterday (bare finger and with my trusty home-made leather tab). Only thing is that the bow I just made over the past several months is just a tad slower than I'd like. Holds up well at 20yds but drops drastically with the very heavy arrow and four 5" vanes that I made for it. It shoots my aluminum 125gr heads fairly well but still has a drop after 20-25 yds. I'm sure it would zing a lighter 90 to 100 gr head -w- three 3" fletching/feathers a bit faster but I like for my bows to have the ability to fling heavier arrows (whether for kid or man) so that they have a bow that would take a deer down. Speed is one thing but COMFORT, accuracy, stealth and consistency is more important in my opinion. All too often, folks wear themselves out at the range with too high a poundage bow OR, as in hunting situations, need to READ the animal or gain more experience before launching an arrow. Reading the animal and knowing WHEN to release is one of the most important factors. With the fast, high tech bows today, most folks will fling an arrow whether it is an ethical distance, stance of the animal or calmness of the animal because the depend too much on technology and not SKILL.

I suppose all of that should have been said within my bowhunting or bow season thread but after we talked about the wearing out of the arms and such, thought I'd speak my mind. It was really something seeing a beautiful arch at 30 and 40+ yards yesterday but that bow simply didn't have the gusto to get it there......I'd have to compensate more than I liked to hit the target. Without compensating, the arch of the arrow would be WAY higher than the target and cross the targets view as it descended to its landing (about 2' below the target). It is a 40 - 43 lbs at 28" draw but it should have more speed than that (even with the heaviest arrows used). That bow I made for a friend this past Spring sure zinged the arrows and I would have kept it for sure but I really like the gentleman I was surprising so I forced myself to part with it. Very snappy, comfortable and pretty bow with a lot of consistency packed in its 47 lbs, 30" draw frame. It was a Juniper and I've quickly found this wood to be a very good wood. Osage Orange is very trainable and I've made a 20lbs one out of that but it is so darn scarce around here and I truly haven't seen a great deal of superiority in it over Juniper......other than the fact that you can NOT go wrong in the train-ability and memory of Osage Orange. It certainly is a much harder wood to work with because of various reasons but the scarcity it the main problem. If anyone has a great deal of Osage Orange (AKA: horse apple, hedge apple, bodock, bodark....among other names). I'd certainly pay the shipping and pay for you trouble. Now is a good time to cut one so it'll be dry enough to build a bow for next summer. Would be glad to make that generous person a bow if they'd be interested.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Tyr, we need to get a shoot going sometime. I'm a bit busy right now (as my few posts reveal) and it is a bit hot right now but I'd enjoy very much shooting at color coded balloons at unknown distances at KraZy spots and in difficult stances. You only get one shot and the first to pop his balloon stops that particular shot and is the winner at that spot. If you hit the other guy's balloon.....tough luck.....we move on. HA!!! This is like stomping but adds a bit more flavor since the balloons are possibly moving (dependent upon the weather). Anyway, the rules can change if you have any ideas to better the game. Perhaps color coded balloons for the more difficult shots and greater distances. Whatever we come up with, I'm sure it'd be a great time. At one time, Memphis had some outstanding archer clubs/shoots but I haven't lived in Memphis for YEARS and am not sure how they have fared over the years. Of course, just good ole fashion stumping (what I call STOMPin') would be fine as well and whomever gets the closest to an obvious knot on the stump gets the prize. HA!!!!

Shot very well yesterday (bare finger and with my trusty home-made leather tab). Only thing is that the bow I just made over the past several months is just a tad slower than I'd like. Holds up well at 20yds but drops drastically with the very heavy arrow and four 5" vanes that I made for it. It shoots my aluminum 125gr heads fairly well but still has a drop after 20-25 yds. I'm sure it would zing a lighter 90 to 100 gr head -w- three 3" fletching/feathers a bit faster but I like for my bows to have the ability to fling heavier arrows (whether for kid or man) so that they have a bow that would take a deer down. Speed is one thing but COMFORT, accuracy, stealth and consistency is more important in my opinion. All too often, folks wear themselves out at the range with too high a poundage bow OR, as in hunting situations, need to READ the animal or gain more experience before launching an arrow. Reading the animal and knowing WHEN to release is one of the most important factors. With the fast, high tech bows today, most folks will fling an arrow whether it is an ethical distance, stance of the animal or calmness of the animal because the depend too much on technology and not SKILL.

I suppose all of that should have been said within my bowhunting or bow season thread but after we talked about the wearing out of the arms and such, thought I'd speak my mind. It was really something seeing a beautiful arch at 30 and 40+ yards yesterday but that bow simply didn't have the gusto to get it there......I'd have to compensate more than I liked to hit the target. Without compensating, the arch of the arrow would be WAY higher than the target and cross the targets view as it descended to its landing (about 2' below the target). It is a 40 - 43 lbs at 28" draw but it should have more speed than that (even with the heaviest arrows used). That bow I made for a friend this past Spring sure zinged the arrows and I would have kept it for sure but I really like the gentleman I was surprising so I forced myself to part with it. Very snappy, comfortable and pretty bow with a lot of consistency packed in its 47 lbs, 30" draw frame. It was a Juniper and I've quickly found this wood to be a very good wood. Osage Orange is very trainable and I've made a 20lbs one out of that but it is so darn scarce around here and I truly haven't seen a great deal of superiority in it over Juniper......other than the fact that you can NOT go wrong in the train-ability and memory of Osage Orange. It certainly is a much harder wood to work with because of various reasons but the scarcity it the main problem. If anyone has a great deal of Osage Orange (AKA: horse apple, hedge apple, bodock, bodark....among other names). I'd certainly pay the shipping and pay for you trouble. Now is a good time to cut one so it'll be dry enough to build a bow for next summer. Would be glad to make that generous person a bow if they'd be interested.
My friend, enjoyed the post and appreciate the offer but currently dealing with my mother and her illness prevents me from partaking.
Man, I'd dearly love to shot with ya . However should that ever happen I'll use my Bobby Lofton custom Maple and Purpleheart 65lb. longbow and not the heavy Tom Cole custom. I can shoot a hundred arrows from that puppy and not even break a sweat.
I do not gamble with friends but every time we stump shoot for money I take my older brother for 50 to a 100 bucks. Once it was 100 bucks and a fifth of Jack Daniels. I nursed that fifth for 6 months because it was so sweet to drink it and remember the look on his face as he paid for it! Even called him up each night when I drank a shot or two if it. Just to thank him for it.. :laugh:
We never use balloons we make the shots so difficult and ling that just hitting the small target is a huge challenge and it has an appendage that a shooter declares to hit instead of the stump it counts a double!
Of course that was a few years before I got my eyeglasses.
However, I once(when young) shot birds flying with fluflu's. So my ability is right on up there or rather once was. Have done no great competition since my heart attack 4 years ago.
As you may well know -- no archer gets better in old age. I am certainly no exception to that.
Yet my last practice I still shot very well. Natural ability has its advantages I guess. I could also score more hits when bowfishing with my older brother, that irked him to no end because he'd been doing it for over a decade before I ever even tried it. --Tyr

red state
09-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I knew your mom was ill and didn't mean to schedule you for any time soon.....just mentioning it and enjoyed the prospects of shooting with kindred spirits. I do so sincerely hope your mom has peace and that the Lord give you and the rest of your family the strength it takes in caring for one so ill. As you more than likely recall, I cared for my mom during her illness and it is difficult but one must simply be there and listen. Time is short and we could all benefit from that wisdom (whether a loved one is ill or not).

Well, I only mentioned the colored balloons cuz I've had yahoos CLAIM that they hit some knot or leaf that I couldn't even see or one that they claimed they were talking about hitting (when in fact it just happened to be a small leaf or knot that they claimed to have aimed for AFTER the fact. HA! I'm not saying that you'd pull something like that but shooting something that is clearly visible to all could be the very thing to keep ME honest. HA!!!!!!

As for bow fishing............I'm there!!! I was once (probably still am) a fantastic bow angler. Always wanted to free dive and spear fish or take a fish with a home-made rubber spear gun that I'm sure I could make. never cared for all the scuba gear and was at one time an expert swimmer with strong lungs. Not sure how'd I'd fare after the past few years smokin' my hand made pipe. Don't grow my own 'backa' because I get such wonderful tobacco from the Smoky Mountains. Yep, I'd certainly like to go bow fishing again.....bad as I hate to admit it but I've never taking my son bow fishing. That is a terrible thing and it bothers me thinking about it. We've wade fished in ponds but I've also NEVER taken him river wading like my dad and I once did. We'd park my truck 5 - 10 miles down stream, drive in his up stream, get out and wade down to my truck. That was some good fishing and great times.

Anyway, have a blessed day.....certainly was a grand morning for shooting.