PDA

View Full Version : Why Lots of Bananas a Day May Keep the Doctor Away

Shadow
09-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Now I know Why I eat so many of these.... :)

You can’t really eat too many bananas — especially if you’re a woman over the age of 50, according to the findings of a new study (http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/09/04/STROKEAHA.114.006046.full.pdf+html) regarding potassium intake and stroke prevention. Published on Thursday in the journal Stroke, researchers discovered that women in that age group who ate high-potassium foods were 12 percent less likely to suffer from a stroke in general and 16 percent less likely to suffer from an ischemic stroke (one caused by a blood clot) than women who didn’t. Finally, the high-potassium women were 10 percent less likely to die — from any cause — than those who ate low amounts of the healthy mineral.

https://s1.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w500/7ead2bd0c5b81053ac06d0b283dfbacd162e8a82.jpg
Photo by Getty Images

You can’t really eat too many bananas — especially if you’re a woman over the age of 50, according to the findings of a new study (http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/09/04/STROKEAHA.114.006046.full.pdf+html) regarding potassium intake and stroke prevention. Published on Thursday in the journal Stroke, researchers discovered that women in that age group who ate high-potassium foods were 12 percent less likely to suffer from a stroke in general and 16 percent less likely to suffer from an ischemic stroke (one caused by a blood clot) than women who didn’t. Finally, the high-potassium women were 10 percent less likely to die — from any cause — than those who ate low amounts of the healthy mineral.

“Potassium has long been associated with lower blood pressure,” said Sylvia Wassertheil-Smoller (http://www.einstein.yu.edu/faculty/5563/sylvia-wassertheil-smoller/), lead researcher and principal investigator at the Women’s Health Initiative of Yeshiva University’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. But, she told Yahoo Health, “We think it goes above and beyond that, to a cellular level. Potassium is used in cellular function, and could be positively affecting the cells that line blood vessels.”
One unexpected finding in the study, Wassertheil-Smoller noted, was that the relationship between potassium intake and stroke prevention was the strongest in women without hypertension. “That was surprising and really interesting,” she said. “So we think it’s good to up your potassium intake before hypertension has a chance to develop.”

The researcher said she could not leap to any conclusions about how a high potassium intake might protect men from strokes, since the research focused only on women. But, she said, “We think it does apply to men, as, in general and on average, men eat more potassium than women because they tend to consume more calories.” Also, the researchers only focused on dietary sources of potassium — which include foods such as bananas, spinach, dates, yogurt, potatoes, and salmon — and so could not comment on the impact of potassium supplements on stroke prevention.

For the study, researchers studied 90,137 postmenopausal women between the ages of 50 and 79 for an average of 11 years. The subjects consumed an average of 2,611 milligrams of potassium daily — well below the USDA recommended 4,700 mg and even the World Health Organization’s (WHO) 3,500 mg a day. Only three percent, in fact, actually exceeded the USDA recommendation. Based on the data, Wassertheil-Smoller suggests eating even more than that average. “We would say at least stick to the WHO recommendation — which equals 12 bananas a day (https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/healthy-living/is-she-bananas--pregnant-woman-on-raw-fruit-diet-causes-controversy-194918045.html),” she said with a laugh. But, she quickly added, “You don’t have to just eat bananas. A serving of spinach is probably twice that of a banana. Potassium is sort of everywhere, you just have to read labels to make sure.”

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-lots-of-bananas-a-day-may-keep-the-doctor-away-96721241027.html

Gunny
09-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Now I know Why I eat so many of these.... :)

Sure it isn't because you're on the phone with "someone" telling him what you can do to a banana?:chinese: :joy4:

:lmao:

Shadow
09-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Sure it isn't because you're on the phone with "someone" telling him what you can do to a banana?:chinese: :joy4:

:lmao:

No banana bread for you. :whammer:

Gunny
09-06-2014, 10:04 PM
No banana bread for you. :whammer:

:chocolate:

Shadow
09-06-2014, 10:07 PM
:chocolate:

:doghouse:

Gunny
09-06-2014, 10:10 PM
:doghouse:

What makes you think I ain't likin' that? More, please? :happy0203:

Shadow
09-06-2014, 10:27 PM
What makes you think I ain't likin' that? More, please? :happy0203:

Hurts so good eh. :wicked99:

Gunny
09-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Hurts so good eh. :wicked99:

You know me. If you promise to be mean to me, abuse me, kick me whe I'm down and tie me to a tree out in the back yard, I'm ALL yours. :bow3:

Redrose
09-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I can't eat bananas, they make my face itch. When I was a kid my mom would give me a big bowl of rice krispies with milk and a sliced banana. By mid morning in school, I was vomiting and my face itching like mad. Doctor said it was stress. Stress?? I was 5. We eventually learned about the bananas and I was lactose intolerant too. Breakfast after that was buttered toast.

I eat mushrooms, avocados and salmon for potassium.

Shadow
09-06-2014, 10:54 PM
I can't eat bananas, they make my face itch. When I was a kid my mom would give me a big bowl of rice krispies with milk and a sliced banana. By mid morning in school, I was vomiting and my face itching like mad. Doctor said it was stress. Stress?? I was 5. We eventually learned about the bananas and I was lactose intolerant too. Breakfast after that was buttered toast.

I eat mushrooms, avocados and salmon for potassium.

Yep sounds like you are allergic. When I was in the hospital for a C-section...the morphine they gave me made my face itch and they had to give me medication to counteract that. Worst feeling ever.

But I do like eating banana's to keep my feet and legs from cramping....plus added benefit now that I know they may help prevent strokes.

Shadow
09-06-2014, 10:59 PM
You know me. If you promise to be mean to me, abuse me, kick me whe I'm down and tie me to a tree out in the back yard, I'm ALL yours. :bow3:

I'll just tie you to the grill with some raw meat and a spatula in your hand...hows that. ;)

Gunny
09-06-2014, 11:11 PM
I'll just tie you to the grill with some raw meat and a spatula in your hand...hows that. ;)

You get within arms reach I'm going to be cooking more than burgers. :halounplugged:

Jeff
09-07-2014, 06:47 AM
OMG first Hot Dogs then calms and now bananas, hell I will be back, got to go wake the ol lady up :laugh:

Gunny
09-07-2014, 09:26 AM
OMG first Hot Dogs then calms and now bananas, hell I will be back, got to go wake the ol lady up :laugh:

I opened up this thread and almost lost it.:laugh:

And honestly, shadow doesn't do stuff like this on purpose. She's pretty shy and reserved. I, on the hand, am a total pig. I'm LMAO right now. I was in tears. I think she thought I was going to choke. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jeff
09-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I opened up this thread and almost lost it.:laugh:

And honestly, shadow doesn't do stuff like this on purpose. She's pretty shy and reserved. I, on the hand, am a total pig. I'm LMAO right now. I was in tears. I think she thought I was going to choke. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's all good made me LMAO early this morning :laugh:

Gunny
09-08-2014, 06:04 AM
It's all good made me LMAO early this morning :laugh:

I take back what I said about Shadow being a good girl. I have since learned she did this to me on purpose. :laugh:

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 06:07 AM
The next time you eat a banana - remember the easy way to open them!! This guy is a certified professional banana opener...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpPB4bp4whU