PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NFL still blacking out games?

Gunny
09-07-2014, 11:29 AM
(CNN) -- This weekend marks the kickoff of what millions of Americans have been looking forward to since the final minutes of Seattle's Super Bowl victory in early February -- another football season.

Players, primed and ready, will take to the field, inspired to make their mark on the new season. Loyal fans, football-starved from a long offseason, will tune in to cheer on their hometown teams. No one can avoid the nervous energy that defines the start of a new season.

But one thing fans should never have to worry about is whether or not this week's game will be impossible to watch due to a TV blackout.

It is unfortunate that we will kick off yet another football season with federal rules on the books that serve only to protect the leagues at the expense of sports fans.

One of these rules is the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) sports blackout rule, which prohibits a cable or satellite company from carrying a game that is blacked-out within the local broadcast area. While this affects leagues beyond the NFL, it occurs most often when, under the NFL's rules, a home game does not sell out at least 72 hours before kickoff.

Under the FCC's sports blackout rule, cable and satellite companies are unable to televise that game in the local broadcast market, leaving local fans in the dark.

While the blackout rule was originally cast as a way to encourage ticket sales, this rationale is no longer supported by the facts. The FCC is aware of this and voted (http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7520963473)unanimously last December to propose elimination of the rule, acknowledging that the record does not support the argument that blackouts increase ticket sales and that "the sports blackout rules have become obsolete."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/06/opinion/mccain-blumenthal-end-nfl-blackouts/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

One, who wants to pay $100. for nosebleed seats?

Two, I'm already paying more than that for cable.

Honestly, the only time this rule has affected me is when I lived in San Diego and DC, and who gives a crap? :laugh:

But, it's a stupid, antiquated rule and it isn't going to make people put up money they don't have.

aboutime
09-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Only one Reason.... Money, Bucks, Greenbacks....Dollars.

Olivia
09-07-2014, 04:05 PM
I only watch college games and if they unionize them I will stop watching. The FSU vs Citadel Bulldogs was a good game yesterday.

aboutime
09-07-2014, 04:08 PM
I only watch college games and if they unionize them I will stop watching. The FSU vs Citadel Bulldogs was a good game yesterday.

Olivia. Welcome to the board. I'm a big Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Penn State fan for many reasons. It's much more fun watching College games than NFL parts of games...Between Commercials.:laugh:

Olivia
09-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Olivia. Welcome to the board. I'm a big Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Penn State fan for many reasons. It's much more fun watching College games than NFL parts of games...Between Commercials.:laugh:

Shoot, i'd watch the commercials. I am FSU all the way, Oklahoma State almost kicked our butts first game. Can't wait for Clemson. The coach from the Citadel did a bit of whining about his boys having to play a Heisman trophy winning quarterback. But they hung in there and scored last quarter. I'll check your teams out. :)

Baba Booey
09-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Major college athletics is wholly corrupt.

Baba Booey
09-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I stopped following the NFL a couple years ago. Used to be a huge fan, not anymore.

Jeff
09-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Shoot, i'd watch the commercials. I am FSU all the way, Oklahoma State almost kicked our butts first game. Can't wait for Clemson. The coach from the Citadel did a bit of whining about his boys having to play a Heisman trophy winning quarterback. But they hung in there and scored last quarter. I'll check your teams out. :)

The wife is a major FSU fan, she was born in Tallahassee and her Daddy lived there ( and has season tickets ) his whole life.

Baba Booey
09-07-2014, 07:42 PM
I see them stillers almost coughed one up to them stains.

Wouldn't that have been awesome? Right out of Mikey's playbook too - take a big lead in the first half, head for the showers at halftime.