PDA

View Full Version : New video from inside elevator shows Ravens RB Ray Rice punching then fiancee

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 09:04 AM
There is nothing more cowardly than a man who abuses a woman.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

Gunny
09-08-2014, 09:21 AM

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

I just don't understand what goes through peoples minds nowadays. There are cameras and/or people with i-phones EVERYWHERE. ANYONE in the media limelight that does something stupid like this in public is just, well .. stupid.

I don't see the point to abusing women either. They, with the usual exceptions to the rule, don't look all that hard to beat up.

darin
09-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Maybe not in this case - but did she keep poking the bear...? Striking him? I dunno. Women cry for equality AND special protection.

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Maybe not in this case - but did she keep poking the bear...? Striking him? I dunno. Women cry for equality AND special protection.

So are you implying that you're cool with dudes who smack women around?

wow...

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 09:47 AM

That's quite disturbing. I saw this earlier as I'm a celeb freak and read TMZ daily! LOL

But with what I saw - why isn't this man in jail? I can't see any excuse to knock out a woman cold like that. And the article states the NFL saw this video - and only a 2 game suspension? And lastly, if this video was out there and seen by the NFL - why is it just now hitting the media? Did the NFL somehow hold this under wraps, or someone else?

darin
09-08-2014, 09:50 AM
So are you implying that you're cool with dudes who smack women around?

wow...

So you are implying you do not have good reading comprehension skills.

wow...

Sometimes I'm cool with it. If a woman comes after me like a spider monkey; if she gets all up in my grill smacking me around? She deserves a punch in the face as much as if she were a guy doing that.

What I'm saying, and if you don't understand try www.hop.com (http://www.hop.com) - We rarely see the whole story when it comes to things like this. Men are absolutely the LEAST-protected group.

If a guy punches a woman in the head - after that woman came-at-him....the only thought I have is the woman should have been a better fighter - OR controlled herself enough to not do stupid shit.

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
That's quite disturbing. I saw this earlier as I'm a celeb freak and read TMZ daily! LOL

But with what I saw - why isn't this man in jail? I can't see any excuse to knock out a woman cold like that. And the article states the NFL saw this video - and only a 2 game suspension? And lastly, if this video was out there and seen by the NFL - why is it just now hitting the media? Did the NFL somehow hold this under wraps, or someone else?

Yeah, Ben got 4 games for being accused.

I said it back then though, Ben was made into a white scapegoat, the NFL was chomping at the bit for a popular white player to fuck up, Ben was just dumb enough to be that one.

The NFL is kind of a joke.

NightTrain
09-08-2014, 09:53 AM
What I'm saying, and if you don't understand try www.hop.com (http://www.hop.com)

I just booked a flight to Paris for 62 Euros.

I think that's a good deal?

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah, Ben got 4 games for being accused.

I said it back then though, Ben was made into a white scapegoat, the NFL was chomping at the bit for a popular white player to fuck up, Ben was just dumb enough to be that one.

The NFL is kind of a joke.

Yep, not a single charge against Ben and he got 4 games. This one is on camera knocking her the F out, pleads out in court and only gets 2 games. And why this nitwit would remain with the man after that is beyond me. If he's willing to knock her out cold, how far is he really willing to go when angry?

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I just booked a flight to Paris for 62 Euros.

I think that's a good deal?

Thats hilarious! The NEW and updated version is - https://www.hookedonphonics.com/

Shit, was that travel site always there? I knew what people meant by posting that link over the years, but this was the first time I ever clicked on it!

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 10:16 AM
We rarely see the whole story when it comes to things like this.

Yet you'll quote infowars as unprecedented truth without flinching.

Funny how that works.

And my comprehension skills were accurate based on your reply, you were supporting violence against women.

Says a lot about you.

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Broncos player wants Ray Rice thrown out of the NFL

Denver Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton just tweeted some strong words about the latest video of Ray Rice assaulting his then-fiancée Janay Palmer.

These are from Terrance Knighton:

That man should be thrown out the the nfl and thrown into jail. Shame on those deciding his punishment. Smh

If there's anyway to open that case up and give this guy the punishment he deserves, it NEEDS to be done.

As players we must speak up. Stand up for what's right. I don't give a damn who u are or how much money you make. No place for this.

This video makes me sick to my stomach.

As players we always speak on how we are unfairly treated, well now what?

Shaun O'hara:

Watched Ray Rice Video. As a man I am disgusted. As former NFL player I am ashamed by handling of this by the league. Despicable.

Sage Rosenfels:

I wonder how many games the suspension would have been if that was Roger Goodell's daughter lying there?

LeCharles Bentley:

I'm done.... Going to MNF game... Glad my ticket is free... Ain't paying for nothing nfl related until RAT RICE retires...

Scott Fujita:

I'm glad no one this morning seems to care about yesterday's games. This piece of shit needs to be out of the league. Period.

Duke Ihenacho:

No audio is needed...it's blatantly wrong and sickening. And there's no way you can defend those actions.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/8/6121697/terrance-knighton-tweets-nfl-ray-rice-video

darin
09-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Funny how that works.

And my comprehension skills were accurate based on your reply, you were supporting violence against women.

Says a lot about you.

Okay. I support violence against women, men, monsters, bears. Violence is the answer sometimes.

[edit] - Holy Shit just saw that vid. God. That guy is a monster. Why isn't he in jail, really? Travesty of justice.

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Okay. I support violence against women, men, monsters, bears. Violence is the answer sometimes.

I support violence against little old chinese ladies who do 45 in the left lane. :)

Olivia
09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
I would have felt sorry for her, but then she turned around and married the bastard! Stupid woman.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

You have a point, to a degree. I don't beat up on little guys either though. Whether or not the other person is provoking you, if they present no danger, YOU have lost control when you either start yelling or strike out. Besides, dismissing them and/or laughing at them usually infuriates them.:laugh:

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:19 PM

Yeah. Two games for this, but an entire season for others for smoking weed. Cuz we KNOW weed is such a performance enhancing drug. :laugh:

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 12:23 PM
You have a point, to a degree. I don't beat up on little guys either though. Whether or not the other person is provoking you, if they present no danger, YOU have lost control when you either start yelling or strike out. Besides, dismissing them and/or laughing at them usually infuriates them.:laugh:

I guess that's my point also, maybe it was the way I was brought up. I was taught never to strike a woman period, no matter what.

Olivia
09-08-2014, 12:23 PM
He should never play football again and he should have been arrested for assault and battery. He hit her first, she came toward him. Then he knocked her out. She should be arrested for stupidity.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Yep, not a single charge against Ben and he got 4 games. This one is on camera knocking her the F out, pleads out in court and only gets 2 games. And why this nitwit would remain with the man after that is beyond me. If he's willing to knock her out cold, how far is he really willing to go when angry?

Psychologically abused people are too caught up in the situation to get out. The physical abuse comes after, if at all. Physical abuse heals. Psychological abuse not so much.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Funny how that works.

Says a lot about you.

Part of the problem here is this cultural as much as anything else. And that doesn't mean racist. Black women are WAY more apt to get all in a man's face and poke and punch and mouth off than other cultures. Black men are more apt to knock the crap out of a woman in his face than others. The dynamic exists whether or not anyone wants to admit it does.

My ex got all in my face after I'd had enough and I punched a hole in the sheetrock right next to her head and just stared at her. She got the message. We had a nice, quiet evening. :)

darin
09-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I guess that's my point also, maybe it was the way I was brought up. I was taught never to strike a woman period, no matter what.

I'd strike this woman. With a 5.56 if she tried to hurt me or my family. You can sit there atop your false moral high ground; truth is, you're scared.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100525175834/uncyclopedia/images/e/eb/Female_jihadist.jpg

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:32 PM
I would have felt sorry for her, but then she turned around and married the bastard! Stupid woman.

She's not stupid. She's too close to the situation to step back and see it for what it is. This happens every day, every hour. It starts with psychological control and escalates. The abused feels powerless, but is brainwashed to believe they can't make it without the abuser. It's not about being tough or smart. It's about emotional control.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:33 PM

I was too, but if Rhonda Rousey comes after my ass I'm getting a gun. :laugh:

Shadow
09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
So you are implying you do not have good reading comprehension skills.

wow...

Sometimes I'm cool with it. If a woman comes after me like a spider monkey; if she gets all up in my grill smacking me around? She deserves a punch in the face as much as if she were a guy doing that.

What I'm saying, and if you don't understand try www.hop.com (http://www.hop.com) - We rarely see the whole story when it comes to things like this. Men are absolutely the LEAST-protected group.

If a guy punches a woman in the head - after that woman came-at-him....the only thought I have is the woman should have been a better fighter - OR controlled herself enough to not do stupid shit.
Totally agree with you Darin. Women should not be able to have it both ways. If they choose to be aggressive and in your face...then they shouldn't be surprised at the outcome. Men should not be forced to take their abuse just because of their gender.

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I'd strike this woman. With a 5.56 if she tried to hurt me or my family. You can sit there atop your false moral high ground; truth is, you're scared.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100525175834/uncyclopedia/images/e/eb/Female_jihadist.jpg

Unfortunately, the woman Ray Rice and you advocate beating up isn't carrying a weapon.

Unfortunate for her, not for you.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, the woman Ray Rice and you advocate beating up isn't carrying a weapon.

I don't see this as a cut and dried issue. Maybe this particular instance. A world class athlete punching out a woman is a bit much.

However, I've met, seen and served with women that scared the crap out of me. I always go back to the gym at MCRD San Diego when I watched this woman deadlift 600 lbs. She was as strong as I was. I wouldn't stand there and let her beat my ass.

On the other hand, the point that women want equality AND special protection IS valid.

I think it's case by case. This shouldn't be an indictment of men and women in general; which, it has turned into. This should be about Ray Rice punching out his GF in an elevator, AND the fickledness of the NFL and its punishments.

Shadow
09-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Not every situation is black and white. We usually live in the gray areas. To suggest Darin advocates for men to beat women in this discussion is just silly. He is talking about situations where women come at you with the intent to do harm. In that case... I have no problem with a man knocking a woman on her ass...at all.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Not every situation is black and white. We usually live in the gray areas. To suggest Darin advocates for men to beat women in this discussion is just silly. He is talking about situations where women come at you with the intent to do harm. In that case... I have no problem with a man knocking a woman on her ass...at all.

I'll remember that. :)

darin
09-08-2014, 01:15 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B01IqZd46l4/Ukx1kAbZ1NI/AAAAAAAAATo/o-8QmWMzGr0/s400/tumblr_mlwdiul2I41sprs4oo1_400.gif

Olivia
09-08-2014, 01:39 PM
They just fired him. So now, dummie is married to an unemployed man.

Olivia
09-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Totally agree with you Darin. Women should not be able to have it both ways. If they choose to be aggressive and in your face...then they shouldn't be surprised at the outcome. Men should not be forced to take their abuse just because of their gender.

You don't have to take abuse. You just turn around and walk out. But from what I saw in the video he took no abuse, he dished it.

Gaffer
09-08-2014, 01:47 PM
The NFL still hasn't done anything. But the Ravens have canceled his contract and fired his ass.

fj1200
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM
The NFL still hasn't done anything. But the Ravens have canceled his contract and fired his ass.

Didn't Goodell already admit that they screwed up the Rice thing?

Gaffer
09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Didn't Goodell already admit that they screwed up the Rice thing?

I have no idea. I have FOX news on and they just announced the firing. ;)

Gunny
09-08-2014, 01:56 PM
They just fired him. So now, dummie is married to an unemployed man.

He'll get hired again. Just as soon as the heat's off. The NFL's about money and plenty of owners are probably already lining up to figure out how to do it without getting dragged down. Michael Vick's got a job, right? Eric Dickerson set the precedent of holding up teams for talent and they haven't gone back since. Providing the player and winning supercedes any moralistic idealism.

You don't have to take abuse. You just turn around and walk out. But from what I saw in the video he took no abuse, he dished it.

Sound like someone who's never been there. Most people can't just walk out. And that abuse goes both ways, and women can dish emotional abuse as good as any man.

fj1200
09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
I have no idea. I have FOX news on and they just announced the firing. ;)

I just thought I remembered that from a month or so ago.

In July, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Rice for two games, a seemingly modest penalty that sparked widespread outrage. Goodell would later express regret about the penalty and in August announced a tougher domestic violence policy going forward. The new policy imposes a six-game suspension for first-time offenders, and a potential lifetime ban for repeat offenders.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/08/ray-rice-video-legal-fallout-roger-goodell-baltimore-ravens

Which begs the question of whether they can do anything per their internal policy.

Olivia
09-08-2014, 02:09 PM
He'll get hired again. Just as soon as the heat's off. The NFL's about money and plenty of owners are probably already lining up to figure out how to do it without getting dragged down. Michael Vick's got a job, right? Eric Dickerson set the precedent of holding up teams for talent and they haven't gone back since. Providing the player and winning supercedes any moralistic idealism.

Sound like someone who's never been there. Most people can't just walk out. And that abuse goes both ways, and women can dish emotional abuse as good as any man.

I admit it. I'm lucky to have never been abused. For which I am grateful.

Olivia
09-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Didn't the NFL ban that senile old guy for using the N word? They're hypocrites if they don't ban Rice.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I admit it. I'm lucky to have never been abused. For which I am grateful.

Okay, this one's kind of tough. You are very fortunate and I certainly hope it remains that way for you. What I can suggest is to not be so quick to judge others of you haven't walked a mile in their shoes. It's got nothing to do with being big and mean and tough, male or female. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, right? ;)

Didn't the NFL ban that senile old guy for using the N word? They're hypocrites if they don't ban Rice.

If you're waiting for some consistency out of the NFL, don't hold your breath. Howard Cossell was fired for a comment that someone deemed racist when it was not, IMO. The guy DID look like a monkey running down the field. Unfortunately for Cossell, he happened to be a black player.

The NFL reacts to the media. The media didn't make that big a stench over this. The media backlash has them creating new rules to squelch media frenzy, not the issue itself.

IMO, it's the NFL itself that helps create the environment of players who think they're above the law. They're pandered to throughout college and into the pro's.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Breaking news on ESPN: Rice is suspended indefinitely.

I have an issue with that. They punished him. Agree with the punishment or not. Now they're caving to media pressure and punishing him again. That's rather un-American, last I heard.

Shadow
09-08-2014, 02:39 PM
I was referring to situations were women instigate the violence. Not the situation with the video in question. And...what if a woman comes at a man with a knife, bottle or anything else she may be holding while in a fit of anger. Is a man just supposed to let her injure him because she is a female?

NightTrain
09-08-2014, 02:51 PM
That was a wicked blow to her jaw. He meant to hurt her and it looked like she was unconscious for at least a minute there as he was trying to drag her somewhere private. Good thing that security guy was there to catch it and call the cops.

I have no problem with him being crucified over that.

I've been assaulted before by a female, and by no means did I close my fist and try to break her face like he did. Open handed defensive parries and slaps were more than adequate to protect myself.

Olivia
09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I was referring to situations were women instigate the violence. Not the situation with the video in question. And...what if a woman comes at a man with a knife, bottle or anything else she may be holding while in a fit of anger. Is a man just supposed to let her injure him because she is a female?
No. Of course not. When your life is in danger use whatever means necessary.

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Rice is banned indefinitely and out of a team for now, and he'll be hard pressed to find a forgiving team. He likely will, but not after he sits for a season - minimum.

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 03:29 PM

That was the NBA and Donald Sterling.

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 05:28 PM
I love the way 2 of the Steelers players responded to this. First was William Gay, who's Mom lost her life due to domestic violence, and he took the upper road:

"First, and foremost, I'm totally against domestic violence,'' Gay said. "My mom passed away from domestic violence. So, that was wrong of him (Gay starts to tear up). But, at the end of the day, you don't need to run away from Ray Rice. He needs help. So, we've got to do everything we can do to help him.

"This just lets you know that domestic violence is real, and it's real in the NFL. And we need to get help. We're not immune to it. So, the best of luck to Ray Rice. I'm praying for him and his wife. They're in a tough situation, and we just hope he comes out great and becomes better, becomes a better person.''

Gay didn't believe a longer suspension should even be the issue.

"It's all about getting him help,'' Gay added. "It's bigger than that. My mom passed away. We're not talking about a game. She lost her life, so that's the help that I'm talking about.''

And then Troy Polamalu, who is a very religious and spiritual person:

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu had several comments as well after noting that he had seen the new video footage that showed Rice knock Ms. Palmer out cold, drag her limp body from the elevator and kick at her to try to revive her. Since Rice was released after the media had left the Steelers locker room, none of the players commented on that part of it.

"Unfortunately, I've seen the video,'' Polamalu said. "But I have a lot of issues of my own that I deal with. In truth, I couldn't judge him on anything, because I'm defiled by as many passions and sins and more than him, most likely.

"I have my own struggles. And, obviously, he's got his own struggles. And we all have our own struggles. So, I can't look past my own struggles to judge him.''

Polamalu also was asked to address domestic violence.

"It's a horrible issue that people have to deal with,'' Polamalu said. "I'm very blessed to have been married for almost 10 years now. I have a wonderful wife, and I'm so thankful for that. But it's an unfortunate issue that couples have to deal with.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-players-react-ray-rice-213943894.html

jimnyc
09-08-2014, 05:30 PM
To add, in case others are unaware, yes - he kicks at her to get her to wake up, after he was kind enough to drag her forcibly from the elevator. He also spits on her.

I feel bad seeing a player fall from grace, as an NFL all pro to being released - but this is of his own doing and this kind of stuff can't be tolerated - ever - and I believe in sending the strongest messages possible when shit like this happens.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Rice is banned indefinitely and out of a team for now, and he'll be hard pressed to find a forgiving team. He likely will, but not after he sits for a season - minimum.

I hate to say this, but after the fact it looks like Rice is the only one who's done the right thing. Goodell got botching right.

Rice went to court and his sentence was adjudicated. He and his wife go to counseling and he does community service in a woman's shelter. The court thing was over by APRIL.

Now, the NFL: I mentioned consistency before. AFTER suspending him for 2 games, the NFL increases the punishment for domestic abuse to 6 games for a 1st offense, banned for life for a 2nd. This Rice's 1st offense. They look like bigger fools now than they already did.

And Rice walks with $5.5M. Can invest that and live off the interest a LONG time.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 06:56 PM

You're starting to scare me. Just how psycho are you?:scared:

Abbey Marie
09-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Do you think a football player cannot subdue a woman without knocking her out? I knew Rice sucked as a back last year, but I had no idea he was that much of a wimp.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Do you think a football player cannot subdue a woman without knocking her out? I knew Rice sucked as a back last year, but I had no idea he was that much of a wimp.

That IS a bit excessive.

I guess where I'm going here is the NFL DID blow this. Just as they do every time making kneejerk decisions without all the facts. The have a policy. The people whine through the media. The NFL announces a tougher policy. Then the media starts clamoring around for heads again. The NFK kneejerks again and gives him a punishment tht far exceeds its own policy.

I am by NO means condoning what Rice did, but how much punishment is enough? Here's an idea: The NFL needs to get its ass out of the legal business. This was handled legally and it's over. I wouldn't lose MY job over it.

And the myth that NFL players are supposedly all that so much better than everyone else the NFL likes to foster is just BS. NFL players haven't been role models since the 70's, maybe early 80s. They're greedy, pampered athletes who aren't there because they love the game. They love their money.

Shadow
09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
You're starting to scare me. Just how psycho are you?:scared:

Not me dear. Just reporting a few of the actions I have heard about of some of the looney women some of you men have reported dating. Apparently you guys like them crazy. :laugh:

Gunny
09-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Not me dear. Just reporting a few of the actions I have heard about of some of the looney women some of you men have reported dating. Apparently you guys like them crazy. :laugh:

Yes, your worship. Whatever you say. Who am I to argue with you? (no kitchen utensils please.) :rolleyes:

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 06:29 AM
And Marco Rubio chimes in, and he's spot on:

Ray Rice should be BANNED FOR LIFE from the NFL ... not just because he beat the crap out of his then-fiancee ... but because he LIED about it as well ... this according to Senator Marco Rubio.

Rubio [R-Florida] FL] tells TMZ Sports he's outraged by the footage of Rice belting Janay Palmer (http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/) in the face and says -- "He should be suspended for life. There's no place for someone like that in the National Football League."

Rubio says the fact Rice lied about it -- by contending that it was mutual combat -- makes the situation even worse.

As for his punishment, Rubio couldn't be more clear -- "He has the right to work, but playing in the NFL is a privilege and I think you lose that privilege when you do something like that."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3CoikHfSx

Gunny
09-09-2014, 07:34 AM
And Marco Rubio chimes in, and he's spot on:

Ray Rice should be BANNED FOR LIFE from the NFL ... not just because he beat the crap out of his then-fiancee ... but because he LIED about it as well ... this according to Senator Marco Rubio.

Rubio [R-Florida] FL] tells TMZ Sports he's outraged by the footage of Rice belting Janay Palmer (http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/) in the face and says -- "He should be suspended for life. There's no place for someone like that in the National Football League."

Rubio says the fact Rice lied about it -- by contending that it was mutual combat -- makes the situation even worse.

As for his punishment, Rubio couldn't be more clear -- "He has the right to work, but playing in the NFL is a privilege and I think you lose that privilege when you do something like that."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3CoikHfSx

A LOT of knee jerk, emotional reactions. It's on the news AND sports. This is like shooting the dead horse after beating it to death. He should have the same chance any other player does or has had.

I certainly don't agree with NFL beefing up its penalty then exceeding it.

I also don't agree with players and/or pundits that thrive on the violence of NFL acting all outraged that one of them did something violent.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 07:43 AM
A LOT of knee jerk, emotional reactions. It's on the news AND sports. This is like shooting the dead horse after beating it to death. He should have the same chance any other player does or has had.

I also don't agree with players and/or pundits that thrive on the violence of NFL acting all outraged that one of them did something violent.

I agree it's being beaten to death - I think he should have been fired originally and sent packing and call it a day. While a lot of it is knee jerk reactions and such, he DID lay her out flat harder than I've ever been hit in my life, at least from all appearances. He then spit on her. Then he kicks her to wake her up. I agree they should have gotten it right the first time, but at this point I don't know whether to believe that they saw this footage or not. If no one did, then I understand the extended reaction.

I'm not defending the NFL or the Ravens - I'm just saying that after seeing the way he beat this woman, any sane employer out there should fire such a person.

I see what you're saying about the players/pundits and violence - but there's a big difference between beating one another on the field - and beating the shit out of a woman.

And even take the NFL out of this situation. Supposedly the police even saw this tape as well. For what he did, he SHOULD have been jailed, IMO. The only way I could understand him getting less punishment is if she had a weapon or if he somehow really did fear for himself.

Gunny
09-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I agree it's being beaten to death - I think he should have been fired originally and sent packing and call it a day. While a lot of it is knee jerk reactions and such, he DID lay her out flat harder than I've ever been hit in my life, at least from all appearances. He then spit on her. Then he kicks her to wake her up. I agree they should have gotten it right the first time, but at this point I don't know whether to believe that they saw this footage or not. If no one did, then I understand the extended reaction.

I'm not defending the NFL or the Ravens - I'm just saying that after seeing the way he beat this woman, any sane employer out there should fire such a person.

I see what you're saying about the players/pundits and violence - but there's a big difference between beating one another on the field - and beating the shit out of a woman.

And even take the NFL out of this situation. Supposedly the police even saw this tape as well. For what he did, he SHOULD have been jailed, IMO. The only way I could understand him getting less punishment is if she had a weapon or if he somehow really did fear for himself.

Okay. He bonds out the next day and goes through the legal process. He did. As far as being fired, that's probably a case by case thing. It's his first offense. He's doing the counseling and by all accounts has made an honest effort to do what he's supposed to be. For the average joe, provided he is doing all of the aforementioned, it's back to work and the issue is over. But because this guy's a NFL player and the media hounds won't leave anything alone, his punishment exceeds that of the average layman.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Okay. He bonds out the next day and goes through the legal process. He did. As far as being fired, that's probably a case by case thing. It's his first offense. He's doing the counseling and by all accounts has made an honest effort to do what he's supposed to be. For the average joe, provided he is doing all of the aforementioned, it's back to work and the issue is over. But because this guy's a NFL player and the media hounds won't leave anything alone, his punishment exceeds that of the average layman.

True dat! But the NFL players agree to a morality clause in their contracts whereas the average joe employed wouldn't see that. Then again, the average joe doesn't get paid millions. Granted it was his first offense, but even I think there should be more description than that. This means someone who solely spits on his wife, which is assault and gets charged with DV - would get the same treatment as someone who lays someone out cold on the floor. I do think they should all be on case by case basis - problem is that WHO is going to be the decider of those cases.

I think in the real world, Ray and his wife are doing all the right things by the law, and shouldn't be penalized further than what the courts ordered, so long as he remains on the straight and narrow and lives up to all of his obligations ordered by the court. But that doesn't mean the NFL needs to do the same. Like we've seen, they give you 4 games for weed OR 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. Right there is an issue already, so no surprise they would screwup something of this magnitude.

And then on top of all of that, I really don't think what the NFL did even mattered. Even if the NFL stayed with the 2 game suspension, I think he's done anyway. The Ravens dropped him and I don't think anyone will sign him, regardless of what the NFL says or does. The feedback through social media and regular media has assured that!

Gunny
09-09-2014, 08:39 AM
True dat! But the NFL players agree to a morality clause in their contracts whereas the average joe employed wouldn't see that. Then again, the average joe doesn't get paid millions. Granted it was his first offense, but even I think there should be more description than that. This means someone who solely spits on his wife, which is assault and gets charged with DV - would get the same treatment as someone who lays someone out cold on the floor. I do think they should all be on case by case basis - problem is that WHO is going to be the decider of those cases.

I think in the real world, Ray and his wife are doing all the right things by the law, and shouldn't be penalized further than what the courts ordered, so long as he remains on the straight and narrow and lives up to all of his obligations ordered by the court. But that doesn't mean the NFL needs to do the same. Like we've seen, they give you 4 games for weed OR 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. Right there is an issue already, so no surprise they would screwup something of this magnitude.

And then on top of all of that, I really don't think what the NFL did even mattered. Even if the NFL stayed with the 2 game suspension, I think he's done anyway. The Ravens dropped him and I don't think anyone will sign him, regardless of what the NFL says or does. The feedback through social media and regular media has assured that!

Agree with most of it, but dude, you are paying attention...:laugh:

Jerry Jones is STILL out there.:laugh:

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Agree with most of it, but dude, you are paying attention...:laugh:

Jerry Jones is STILL out there.:laugh:

True story - I already told my bro John last night that my prediction is Dallas signs him after the season, if anyone does!!

fj1200
09-09-2014, 08:51 AM
True story - I already told my bro John last night that my prediction is Dallas signs him after the season, if anyone does!!

Nah, there's no advantage in the wife beater market like there is in the gay demographic. :eek:

Gunny
09-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Nah, there's no advantage in the wife beater market like there is in the gay demographic. :eek:

If Jones thinks he can get him cheap because no one else will touch him, he'll have a blue star on his helmet.

Abbey Marie
09-09-2014, 06:14 PM

I think the important question for all of us is, should a court give so little punishment to a man who knocks a much weaker woman out cold, drags her unconscious body, and spits on her? What message does this send to the man, to the woman, and to the public? That it's ok to do this one time? What if he had sent her to the hospital with a broken jaw or concussion? Or worse? Is it still not such a big deal because it was his first offense, and he is in a program for offenders?

On a related note, a man can at least try to claim he was in the heat of the moment when he hits a woman, but once she's unconscious, if he drags her, kicks her and spits on her, it's IMO evidence of a truly sadistically violent personality. His wife is in for interesting times ahead.

Gunny
09-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I think the important question for all of us is, should a court give so little punishment to a man who knocks a much weaker woman out cold, drags her unconscious body, and spits on her? What message does this send to the man, to the woman, and to the public? That it's ok to do this one time? What if he had sent her to the hospital with a broken jaw or concussion? Or worse? Is it still not such a big deal because it was his first offense, and he is in a program for offenders?

On a related note, a man can at least try to claim he was in the heat of the moment when he hits a woman, but once she's unconscious, if he drags her, kicks her and spits on her, it's IMO evidence of a truly sadistically violent personality. His wife is in for interesting times ahead.

So little punishment? IIRC, he paid out $5800. before all was said and done. It is my understanding that courts are lenient with first time offenses, but not subsequent ones. There's no perfect solution. No, it shouldn't happen once, but I can see not crucifying someone if it only happens once. I also believe had he put her in the hospital, there would have been additional charges, or more severe ones. The fact that his wife took part of the blame in court could also have had a LOT a weight.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM

And he tried blaming his wife stating it was mutual combat or some crap like that.

Anyway, they say the police saw this video as well. With such a vicious blow, and lack of remorse, compassion or interest in her well being, I think he should have gotten jail time.

Btw, my comments on the real world, and him doing the right thing, is based on his "sentence" going forward. So long as he abides by what the court has ordered, he has settled his obligations in that manner.

Gunny
09-09-2014, 07:17 PM
And he tried blaming his wife stating it was mutual combat or some crap like that.

Anyway, they say the police saw this video as well. With such a vicious blow, and lack of remorse, compassion or interest in her well being, I think he should have gotten jail time.

Btw, my comments on the real world, and him doing the right thing, is based on his "sentence" going forward. So long as he abides by what the court has ordered, he has settled his obligations in that manner.

Where does "lack of remorse" come from? He's shown plenty from everything I can see. He volunteers at a battered women's shelter which is NOT part of his deal with the court.

And I hate to say it, but keep hearing this .. if y'all think THAT was a "vicious" beating, then you I'm suggesting you've never seen one. It was a vicious punch, yes. Beating? Not even close. Feel fortunate that you didn't grow up in an environment where you know the difference.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Where does "lack of remorse" come from? He's shown plenty from everything I can see. He volunteers at a battered women's shelter which is NOT part of his deal with the court.

And I hate to say it, but keep hearing this .. if y'all think THAT was a "vicious" beating, then you I'm suggesting you've never seen one. It was a vicious punch, yes. Beating? Not even close. Feel fortunate that you didn't grow up in an environment where you know the difference.

I meant lack of remorse the night he knocked her out. Some would feel bad after knocking a woman unconscious, Rice continued to spit on her, then drag her, and then kick her. His remorse only came after he was brought to justice.

And I've given and received some good beatings. But this was a woman. It need not be any worse at all to be considered vicious. He could have killed her with that one punch. Sure, he didn't continue and beat her into a coma, but he still took her off of her feet and put her out for about 5 minutes. Whether a one punch knockout or a 10 minute continuous punches, it's still a beating, IMO.

I dunno, I just can't look past and seem to forgive a man that is capable and willing to give that kind of punishment to a woman. I hope things DO work out for them though, but I'm also afraid of what might happen if things come to blows again. Many accused of DV tend to be repeat offenders.

Gunny
09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I meant lack of remorse the night he knocked her out. Some would feel bad after knocking a woman unconscious, Rice continued to spit on her, then drag her, and then kick her. His remorse only came after he was brought to justice.

And I've given and received some good beatings. But this was a woman. It need not be any worse at all to be considered vicious. He could have killed her with that one punch. Sure, he didn't continue and beat her into a coma, but he still took her off of her feet and put her out for about 5 minutes. Whether a one punch knockout or a 10 minute continuous punches, it's still a beating, IMO.

I dunno, I just can't look past and seem to forgive a man that is capable and willing to give that kind of punishment to a woman. I hope things DO work out for them though, but I'm also afraid of what might happen if things come to blows again. Many accused of DV tend to be repeat offenders.

Well, we can disagree on the beating thing then. And while I was raised to NEVER hit a woman, and never had to, I fail to see the actual over-importance placed on it; especially, nowadays. I've seen plenty of women that I thought SHOULD be punched. Know a few too.

There are no guarantees to anything. If it happens again, I DO believe, at least here, you lose the benefit of doubt and they hammer you.

I suspect your REAL motive here is you just don't want the Ravens to have a good running back.:poke::laugh:

Abbey Marie
09-09-2014, 08:01 PM
So little punishment? IIRC, he paid out $5800. before all was said and done. It is my understanding that courts are lenient with first time offenses, but not subsequent ones. There's no perfect solution. No, it shouldn't happen once, but I can see not crucifying someone if it only happens once. I also believe had he put her in the hospital, there would have been additional charges, or more severe ones. The fact that his wife took part of the blame in court could also have had a LOT a weight.

Chump change for a guy like Rice.

jimnyc
09-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, we can disagree on the beating thing then. And while I was raised to NEVER hit a woman, and never had to, I fail to see the actual over-importance placed on it; especially, nowadays. I've seen plenty of women that I thought SHOULD be punched. Know a few too.

There are no guarantees to anything. If it happens again, I DO believe, at least here, you lose the benefit of doubt and they hammer you.

I suspect your REAL motive here is you just don't want the Ravens to have a good running back.:poke::laugh:

And the Steelers play them in 2 days!! He would have been suspended anyway, but now he's gone for the second game against them too. :coffee:

Gunny
09-09-2014, 08:06 PM
And the Steelers play them in 2 days!! He would have been suspended anyway, but now he's gone for the second game against them too. :coffee:

No ulterior motive here. :laugh:

jimnyc
09-10-2014, 05:15 AM
No ulterior motive here. :laugh:

Rice always ran well against us, admittedly I will not miss him! I honestly always liked the kid, damn good runner, saw him play like 5 times while he played at Rutgers. Never liked him on football sunday though!

Olivia
09-10-2014, 10:11 AM

.??? At the very least he should have been arrested for assault and battery and domestic violence. The domestic violence laws no longer give the wife the option to opt out. It's an automatic arrest. So, Rice caught a break there. As far as the NFL goes they are an organization with policies, those policies can be changed. The NFL makes it's money by airing it's games on national federally controlled airwaves. It took them long enough but they finally arrived at the correct punishment. Vick went to jail for abusing animals, someone screwed up by not jailing this thug. He really got what he deserved, minus the jail time. He should have spent time in jail.

jimnyc
09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Here is a police officer saying he sent the NFL the tape 3 months ago, and apparently played a return voicemail acknowledging they received it. Now the question will be, who knew and when. This was really dumb of the league office. They should have just done the right thing from the get go, give out a hefty suspension, perhaps the 6 games, and released everything they know. Now you have people calling for heads, and even congress sending letters.

AP report: Police sent NFL the Ray Rice tape in April

Despite the NFL saying all week it had not seen the full video of Ray Rice (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8832/) punching and knocking out his then-fiancee last February, a source told the Associated Press that law enforcement had in fact sent the tape to someone at the league office in April.

In the AP story, it says a source played a voicemail from April 9 that came from a phone number at the NFL offices, in which a female voice says the tape was received, expresses thanks and says: "You're right. It's terrible." The source could not tell AP for certain if anyone at the NFL offices had watched the video, and he had no further contact with any other NFL employees. The AP report said the source was unauthorized to release the video but "shared it unsolicited, because they wanted the NFL to have it before deciding on Rice's punishment."

This will lead to many more questions, and these are the most pressing ones: Who exactly at the NFL got the video, did they show it to commissioner Roger Goodell, and if they didn't, why not?

The league has been adamant that it hadn't seen the full tape. When it was released by TMZ on Monday, the league specifically said to TMZ through a spokesman: "We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today." That's very specific, as completely opposite of the AP report.

Goodell told CBS Evening News, in his only interview since the Ravens cut Rice and the NFL suspended him indefinitely, "We had not seen any videotape of what occurred in the elevator." There's no wiggle room in what he and the NFL have said. Did the unnamed executive that AP mentions never see the video? Did he or she see it and never tell Goodell anything about it or even that he or she possessed it? That is incredibly hard to believe. And if Goodell saw it and has been lying all week, he likely wouldn't survive the fallout. Someone at the NFL needs to explain what happened, because the AP report is pretty specific that the tape was sent to the league office.

The NFL responded to the AP report with a basic statement that continued its insistence it had not seen the full video before Monday:

"We have no knowledge of this. We are not aware of anyone who possessed or saw the video before it was made public on Monday. We will look into it," the statement said, via NBC Nightly News.

Just because Rice was cut by the Ravens and not in the NFL at the moment doesn't mean this story is going away for the league anytime soon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ap-report--police-sent-nfl-the-ray-rice-tape-in-april-211230052.html

Abbey Marie
09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Here's my wish: Goodell Out. Condi In. :cool:

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:10 AM
So a lot of people are angry and complaining, because Goodell has the ability to fine/punish all by his own, without proper investigations and such. This was allowed as per the most current collective bargaining agreement. Just note, the ONLY team to vote against this, for the very reason that it would give him too much power, were the Pittsburgh Steelers. :)

Gunny
09-11-2014, 09:20 AM
So a lot of people are angry and complaining, because Goodell has the ability to fine/punish all by his own, without proper investigations and such. This was allowed as per the most current collective bargaining agreement. Just note, the ONLY team to vote against this, for the very reason that it would give him too much power, were the Pittsburgh Steelers. :)

And he's done such a bang-up job too.

The excuse given is they didn't see the video. If Rice's legal proceedings were over in April, that tape was available then. It was no longer evidence.

Hopefully the end result of this sensationalism and beating a dead horse is he'll be out.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:32 AM

The excuse given is they didn't see the video. If Rice's legal proceedings were over in April, that tape was available then. It was no longer evidence.

Hopefully the end result of this sensationalism and beating a dead horse is he'll be out.

I don't believe them saying they didn't see it. SOMEONE saw it, who I don't know. But I believe this cop who says he sent it to them, and got a voice mail in return. I'm not saying Goodell himself saw it, but I think they were aware. Also, Ozzie Newsome says that what is on the tape is what Rice told them to begin with. Then he goes on to say that when he saw it a few days ago, it "changed" things. I think Rice apparently told him that he SLAPPED her, according to Newsome, and that she hit her head and was knocked out.

jimnyc
09-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Goodell will be ok - as I read that he made $44 million dollars last year alone! WTF???? That's almost double ANY player in the league for one season!!

Gunny
09-11-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't believe them saying they didn't see it. SOMEONE saw it, who I don't know. But I believe this cop who says he sent it to them, and got a voice mail in return. I'm not saying Goodell himself saw it, but I think they were aware. Also, Ozzie Newsome says that what is on the tape is what Rice told them to begin with. Then he goes on to say that when he saw it a few days ago, it "changed" things. I think Rice apparently told him that he SLAPPED her, according to Newsome, and that she hit her head and was knocked out.

Right. BUT, IF the NFL saw the tape before now, Rice can sue the NFL.

Goodell will be ok - as I read that he made $44 million dollars last year alone! WTF???? That's almost double ANY player in the league for one season!!

Almost all of it is in bonus money, and for some reason, the Ravens signed an up-front bonus pay-out which from what I understand is taboo. Most are structured throughout the life of the contract and based on performance.

fj1200
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Right. BUT, IF the NFL saw the tape before now, Rice can sue the NFL.

Why?