PDA

View Full Version : For phones, is bigger really better?

Gunny
09-08-2014, 11:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/opinion/mccullough-big-cell-phone-comic/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The humor itself is worth the read. :laugh:

Baba Booey
09-08-2014, 11:23 AM
So mobile phones go from huge to microscopic back to huge again.

Full circle technology.

:laugh:

Gunny
09-08-2014, 11:30 AM
So mobile phones go from huge to microscopic back to huge again.

Full circle technology.

:laugh:

That's exactly what I was thinking. All I do is talk and text on mine, and I was fine with my flip top. My daughter saw otherwise. As an electrician, I don't need some damned computer on my hip to tear up on construction sites. :laugh:

NightTrain
09-08-2014, 01:13 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. All I do is talk and text on mine, and I was fine with my flip top. My daughter saw otherwise. As an electrician, I don't need some damned computer on my hip to tear up on construction sites. :laugh:

The flip phones were good units... very tough. Battery longevity not so much - I don't miss the 6 hour full-to-dead cycle.

I use the internet on my phone all the time. And Navigate is a godsend when you're driving around Kodiak looking for the hardware store.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
The flip phones were good units... very tough. Battery longevity not so much - I don't miss the 6 hour full-to-dead cycle.

I use the internet on my phone all the time. And Navigate is a godsend when you're driving around Kodiak looking for the hardware store.

I had a pretty high dollar flip top and it easily lasted more than 6 hours. It was all I needed. I have a 'droid and I think I had the wifi on about 4 months ago. My hands are too big, just to start with. It's just too inconvenient for me to use a phone as a computer.

Gaffer
09-08-2014, 01:36 PM
I have a flip phone. My son had it for years before giving it to me since I'm on his account. I bought a battery for it two years ago for $1.50 and it's still going strong. I charge it up every few days if the charge starts to get low. I only use it for phone calls. It serves my purposes very well. If I want on the internet I use my computer.

NightTrain
09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I had a pretty high dollar flip top and it easily lasted more than 6 hours. It was all I needed. I have a 'droid and I think I had the wifi on about 4 months ago. My hands are too big, just to start with. It's just too inconvenient for me to use a phone as a computer.

For those of us that have Bratwurst Fingers, there's a handy option to talk to your phone.

For instance, when my phone rings and my hands are full, dirty, wet, whatever, I say "Answer!" and it answers it automatically on speaker phone mode. Or I can say, "Navigate to 1234 Main Street, Kodiak, Alaska" and it'll do the task for me. Or tell it, "Call Mom Cell" and it'll dial my mom's number. The voice recognition is not flawless by any means, but it is improving very quickly.

They're getting pretty slick!

The downside is that society is rapidly losing the art of conversation. Walk into any bar and over half the people are screwing around on their phone instead of chatting up strangers next to them like has happened for the last few thousand years.

Gunny
09-08-2014, 01:48 PM
For those of us that have Bratwurst Fingers, there's a handy option to talk to your phone.

For instance, when my phone rings and my hands are full, dirty, wet, whatever, I say "Answer!" and it answers it automatically on speaker phone mode. Or I can say, "Navigate to 1234 Main Street, Kodiak, Alaska" and it'll do the task for me. Or tell it, "Call Mom Cell" and it'll dial my mom's number. The voice recognition is not flawless by any means, but it is improving very quickly.

They're getting pretty slick!

The downside is that society is rapidly losing the art of conversation. Walk into any bar and over half the people are screwing around on their phone instead of chatting up strangers next to them like has happened for the last few thousand years.

LMAO. I used to sit in the bar and text. Once I realized I was just sitting in the bar and texting, I quit going to the bar. ;)

NightTrain
09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
LMAO. I used to sit in the bar and text. Once I realized I was just sitting in the bar and texting, I quit going to the bar. ;)

Yeah!

Besides, that shit is expensive and can get a fella into trouble. The only time I hit the bar is when I'm on the road... I think I've been in a local bar once in the last 5 years.